Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-07-2023, 03:35 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 90 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Need suggestions for top of desk

The desktop in my studio is 8 feet long. It is some kind of laminate on a board and I have had it since the previous house. I have thought about purchasing something else but then I have to move a LOT of stamp and storage items off the desktop and put it all back on and I am too lazy for that.
I have used the Stampin Up grid paper and I like it but I would like something rather large and smooth to put on top of the desk. It does not have to cover the whole desk! Maybe 11" x 17" or 12" x 18" or something like that. Bonus points if I can wipe it off every now and then!
It may be that I put the grid paper over the top of this or maybe not. I am doing a poor job of explaining what I am looking for.....
What do you use on top of your desk/work space to protect the area and still be able to work on your projects?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
DancesWithHooves (11-13-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 05:48 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 318 Likes on 204 Posts

Self-healing cutting mats are available in many sizes and price ranges - here is an example from a quick search:

https://www.dickblick.com/products/b...Cutting%20Mats
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by gaylestamps:
Lisa D. (11-15-2023), wavejumper (11-14-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 06:58 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Disposable cutting boards may be what you're looking for. Dollar Tree, Walmart and Amazon are all places I've seen them. They come in a variety of sizes (I know Amazon has 11" x 17"). Do a quick Google search or check out the kitchen department next time you're shopping. If you're concerned that it would slide around you could always put double-sided tape on the back to secure it to the desktop.

Reply With Quote Likes
VeronaSue (11-09-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 05:10 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts

I'm upgrading soon and plan to use a piece (full depth of the work area) of 1/4" tempered glass.

The advantage to glass is it is super-smooth, you can paint or color or stamp or stencil--whatever. It cleans off really nice.

There are even glass mats for your table that have a grid like grid paper. Search term: glass craft mat.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 11-09-2023 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by fionna51:
DancesWithHooves (11-13-2023), Jill with a G (11-24-2023), Laurie Pierce (11-20-2023), whim6915 (11-13-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 06:29 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been using a thick silicon sheet/mat (available in many colors):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
Need suggestions for top of desk-silicone-mat.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by KeyboardKid:
ChrisO (11-13-2023), fl_beachbum (11-10-2023), janesprando (11-15-2023), lesliespringer (11-10-2023), whim6915 (11-09-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 12:38 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 463 Likes on 308 Posts

I'll put in my vote for tempered glass. I purchased the Tim Holtz glass media mat and love it - plenty of space to work while still leaving some "side space" for me to utilize (such as to collect the items I need for my project, etc.)

Jeremiah 29:11
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni | Proud FanClub member since 2017
My
Gallery
| My Blog
"The wind of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears."
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by DancesWithHooves:
ChrisO (11-13-2023), fionna51 (11-14-2023), Teachybaby (11-15-2023), whim6915 (11-13-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 08:53 AM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Being old...I use a silicon sheet. But I have a formica table so it is pretty washable in itself. The sheet is really about heat stuff like embossing. Depends on what you want to do with it-more than washable...

But I also thought about a quilt cutting board when I saw your question. They come small.

Lydia (understandblue) uses a very pretty gridded glass top with peonies in the corner. Glass takes it all-heat, paint, etc.

I think I saw talk about magnetized glass tops but I would stay away from that myself being afraid for my cell phone-I dont want it anywhere near a magnet. (or a laptop if people keep those on the table) I am just a fraidy-cat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2023, 01:28 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts

Actually the magnetic glass work surfaces aren't magnetic. They have a metal backing that allows you to use a magnet or two or three to hold stuff to the surface.

So, in and of itself, the that glass mat is perfectly safe. It's those rare earth magnets that you use on the mat that you would want to keep away from your computer or phone. AND keep them away from your purse or wallet. They'll demagnetize the strips on the cards. For that matter, keep them away from any electronics at all.

Then there's the MISTI. It uses rare earth magnets. Keep it away from the electronics as well.

I am having my craft room redone...new furniture, etc...and have been setting up two different work areas (well, three if you count the quilting area). One for all the stamping, inking, stenciling, etc, where I would use magnets. The other for watercolor, other coloring mediums, and for where the computer and speaker stuff would be used when it's not somewhere else in the house. Better safe than sorry.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 11-14-2023 at 01:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Teachybaby (11-15-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 05:39 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeyboardKidView Post
I've been using a thick silicon sheet/mat (available in many colors):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
Attachment 394172
Keyborad Kid Is there any cushion to this mat? Just wondering as sometimes I would use it with colored pencils. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2023, 06:13 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 346 Likes on 219 Posts

I'm lucky enough to have several of the products already mentioned. I have a standing workspace (formica top) which has my big paper cutter and a self healing mat. And then a sitting desk/counter (formica again) where I have my laptop, and I can put out the Ranger craft mat or a silicone mat (the larger waffle flower water media mat). I also have the Wendy Vecchi Make Art magnetic mat. I like being able to take out one of the mats when I want to get messy or wet, and they store in very little space. I also have a few disposable Dollar Store cutting boards that I pull out when my grandchildren are here and we want to craft together. The self healing cutting mat is the only one out all the time. The others either roll up or stand on their edge under my cutting platform. I'm intrigued by the glass cutting mat that Lydia has and which many instructors used during the recent Crop & Create, but I'm not sure how that would share space with my laptop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2023, 09:32 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a piece of glass given to me by a friend that is on top of a piece of SU grid paper that is taped to my desktop so it won't scoot around. It's great for quick measurements, etc., but is protected by the glass which can be easily cleaned with water or alcohol depending on the mess.
I also used a sharpie to outline A2 and mini slimline sizes in portrait and landscape orientations on the grid paper. It makes it quick and easy to see if elements will work without needing to get out a piece of cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
jeanne3579 (11-15-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 09:35 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 473 Likes on 351 Posts

I used to use a quilting mat but ended up warping it with my heat gun. I now have the Tim Holtz Glass Media Mat and I love it - I can heat emboss right on it, and it's super easy to clean.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by susanbri:
DancesWithHooves (11-16-2023), Teachybaby (11-15-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 02:09 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Actually the magnetic glass work surfaces aren't magnetic. They have a metal backing that allows you to use a magnet or two or three to hold stuff to the surface.

So, in and of itself, the that glass mat is perfectly safe. It's those rare earth magnets that you use on the mat that you would want to keep away from your computer or phone. AND keep them away from your purse or wallet. They'll demagnetize the strips on the cards. For that matter, keep them away from any electronics at all.

Then there's the MISTI. It uses rare earth magnets. Keep it away from the electronics as well.

I am having my craft room redone...new furniture, etc...and have been setting up two different work areas (well, three if you count the quilting area). One for all the stamping, inking, stenciling, etc, where I would use magnets. The other for watercolor, other coloring mediums, and for where the computer and speaker stuff would be used when it's not somewhere else in the house. Better safe than sorry.
Your new craft room sounds like a dream. I hope you post pictures of it when it is done!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2023, 02:11 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Love the Tim Holtz glass media mat and count it as one of my smarter and most favorite craft purchases
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2023, 03:32 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by happy-stamperView Post
I have a piece of glass given to me by a friend that is on top of a piece of SU grid paper that is taped to my desktop so it won't scoot around. It's great for quick measurements, etc., but is protected by the glass which can be easily cleaned with water or alcohol depending on the mess.
I also used a sharpie to outline A2 and mini slimline sizes in portrait and landscape orientations on the grid paper. It makes it quick and easy to see if elements will work without needing to get out a piece of cardstock.
I have one sheet of SU grid paper (not sure where/how I acquired it,) but I keep it under the 1/4" thick acrylic sheet that covers the entire top of my work table. I love your idea about drawing the outlines of cards on it. As soon as I'm done writing this, I plan to slip that sheet out and draw those outlines on it. I have a stack of cardstock pieces cut to the size of cards I make, but this would really be handy. thanks for the hint!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2023, 06:17 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mparrottView Post
Keyborad Kid Is there any cushion to this mat? Just wondering as sometimes I would use it with colored pencils. Thanks
mparrott, good question. It's not as cushy as you might expect. I measure it at 1/16th of an inch. I just tried colored pencils on regular copy paper. I would think card stock would be fine as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Need suggestions for top of desk-mat-1.jpg   Need suggestions for top of desk-mat-2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2023, 11:11 PM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by happy-stamperView Post
Drawing the card sizes on the grid paper and then placed under glass is a brilliant idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2023, 08:28 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I started to use a glass surface, I loved it. I found one on sale somewhere and it's not the Tim Holtz brand. I love Tim Holtz products but found this deal when I wasn't really looking for it and just couldn't pass it up. It's the best work surface I've ever had and it cleans nicely! works on my desk rather nicely. I have a desk styled to be a computer desk so it has two shelves. laptop surface and lower work surface. I keep my laptop on the higher shelf, and work surface lower shelf. works great.

Reply With Quote Likes