Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Stampin Up Suggestions

I am going to be placing my first SU order in a long time and I need some suggestions/help.

Favorite dies from them for the Big Shot?

I want to use Cherry Cobbler for my Christmas cards but don't know which color of green would go best?

Also I know they have some good punches, which ones are your favorites/most used?

I see they have new types of ribbon, I am used to just their sheer/grosgrain ones. Which type of ribbon is your favorite?

Thanks for any/all help.

Kari
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

You can't go wrong with the Top Note die or the Bigz Butterfly die. Both are classic designs.

For the colors I can't really say.

My most used punches are the 1 3/4 Scalloped Circle, Full Heart, and Small Heart punches. My Ornament punch will get lots of use really soon, still haven't nailed down my Christmas card designs.

Don't know about the ribbon, I mostly use May Arts and Papertrey Ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Greens to go with Cherry Cobbler: Old Olive or Always Artichoke.

I agree with the Top Note....the most used die I own.

In the Holiday Mini there is some Cherry Cobbler seam binding that a lot of people are using like ribbon. Or, I like the taffeta ribbon....easy to work with and looks elegant. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Top Note definitely. Cherry Cobler would go well with Always Artichoke.

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 10:27 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I know you asked about dies, and I agree that the Top Note is a great one, but I want to also suggest the embossing folders. The Linen, Vintage Wallpaper, Polka Dot and new Northern Flurry are my favorites (right now). You can do so much to change the look of something with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you'll get lots and lots of suggestions. Here's my personal favorites:

1. Big Shot: I like the texturez plates (I use this one a lot) and the embossing folders that only have design on the corner, like the new Snowflake embossing folder, or the Elegant Bouquet or the Elegant Lines. Oh, the Beautiful Wings butterflies are really neat too.

2. Don't know much with their new colors. Sorry.
3. I absolutely love using the scalloped border punch and scalloped trim border punch. I also like using the Modern Label and Word Window punches. Specialty punches like the two-step bird punch and two-step owl punches are very versatile.
I also love using scalloped circles and ovals, but I cut those using my Cricut (I cut Top Note Die from Cricut, too)
4. I haven't seen all the different types of ribbon. I got some In-Color stitch-poly ribbon, and I think they're adorable! Of course grograin is always my go-to stand-bys (but you can get grograin from other companies that match SU colors).

There are just some of my personal favorites. Hope this gives you some ideas! Have fun placing your big order!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I agree with calgrandma that Always Artichoke and Old Olive are the best greens for cherry cobbler. I am especially fond of the Artichoke/Cherry mix.

For the Big Shot, my favorites are the embossing folders (pretty much all of them, but especially square lattice and vintage wallpaper) and the beautiful wings embosslit.

The punch I have gotten the most use out of is the Modern Label Punch. Also, I love the new Decorative Label punch in the current Holiday Mini. Also the scallop trim punch is wonderful. The Word Window punch fits nicely inside the Modern Label punch, so I use that a lot when I have small sentiments.

I really like all the new ribbons (I participated in a ribbon share so I got them all) except the 3/8" taffeta. The dark colors in this ribbon are not dyed very well, and don't live up to the color matching that I expect from SU. I decided that I would have to use the Basic Black one with Basic Grey, it is not black. I don't know what I am going to do with the Night of Navy one. That being said, I absolutely love all the other ribbons! It's really fun that they have so many different textures and widths now. Of, and if you like vintage, the crocheted lace is wonderful. Also, the new color Pear Pizzazz is very close to Certainly Celery, so I have found you can use those colors of ribbon interchangably with the two colors of cardstock.

Also, you didn't ask about new colors, but if you haven't tried the Marina Mist yet, I absolutely love that color!

Boy, am I long winded! Enjoy your new goodies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

huh, the Top Note is my biggest regret. I have the Storybook cartridge from Cricut and it has the Top Note on it but with all the sizes. I mean it is ok if you don't have a Cricut but I like the multiple size choice.

I recently started using their tape. It is great and I am impressed!

do you have this? SU color combinations!

color combos.pdf
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Default That is too bad QB

I love the Top Note. Another side note regarding the Big Shot, you can use all the cuttlebug dies and embossing folders with it as well as the nestabilities dies.

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my favorite dies, I love the Top Note, Matchbox and Flower Folds.

Always Artichoke and Old Olive go great with Cherry Cobbler. If you were going to also buy ribbon for your cards I would go with the Always Artichoke and then buy both the Cherry Cobbler & Always Artichoke seam binding ribbon. It is a dream to tie and doesn't make the cards really bulky to mail.

The punches I use the most often are, hands down, the modern label punch with the word window on top. Almost every card I make seems to have these two punches used on them!

Have fun shopping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Favorite dies from them for the Big Shot? Another vote for top note but I really like the Movers and Shapers with the associated dies because they make layers for the punches.

I want to use Cherry Cobbler for my Christmas cards but don't know which color of green would go best? Same as everyone else - Always Artichoke or Olive Green.

Also I know they have some good punches, which ones are your favorites/most used? Modern Label and the Scallop circles for making flowers.

I see they have new types of ribbon, I am used to just their sheer/grosgrain ones. Which type of ribbon is your favorite? 5/8" Satin, 1/4" Grosgrain, and the new seam binding ribbon.

Also an easy place to find color combinations is in the catalog. Each section has a list of colors combos (examples see the top of the page: 22, 30, 52, 78, etc.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdnscrapperView Post
I am going to be placing my first SU order in a long time and I need some suggestions/help.

Favorite dies from them for the Big Shot?
Top Note. versatile as all get out. Little leaves you will use all.the.time. Movers and shapers has lots of versatiltiy.

I want to use Cherry Cobbler for my Christmas cards but don't know which color of green would go best? Ilike it with Always Artichoke

Also I know they have some good punches, which ones are your favorites/most used? yeah ummm.. all of 'em?! heheh scallop circles, scallop square and scallop oval with the matching plain ones. everybody likes the owl punch, but it's too many small pieces for me(bad hands) Word window is a must the ornament oen is great if youlike the matching stamp set,

I see they have new types of ribbon, I am used to just their sheer/grosgrain ones. Which type of ribbon is your favorite? most of mine comes from Offray.. just an hour or so down the road, but I like the look of the crochet stuff and the twill is a nice basic for manly cards

Thanks for any/all help.

Kari
you may want to pace yourself.. Sale a Bration in February? I think can often be a GREAT deal.. for every $50 you spend you can choose from a variety of free stuff.. stamps, ribbon, sometimes punches and paper and more. I am saving my Big Shot Purchase until then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 01:48 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 83 Likes on 32 Posts

Cherry Cobbler is beautiful with Always Artichoke- in fact, the DSP Deck the Halls has that combo.

I think the Top Note is a great die, too. I use it the most out of all of mine.

My favorite ribbon is the satin and the wide striped grosgrain. It looks really pretty if you cut it in half, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #14  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by erinbhView Post
My favorite ribbon is the satin and the wide striped grosgrain. It looks really pretty if you cut it in half, too!

You mean cut it in half long-ways? Does it fray a little or turn out like fringe or what? You peaked my curiosity!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I love the butterfly embosslit. Each butterfly is embossed and cut out. There are five, I think-each is a different size. Oh, no...it seems it was in a mini. I don't see it in the big catty!

I use the round scallop punch, square scallop punch and the long scallop punch a lot.

I also love the three daises die and the scallop envelope die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you so much for your help ladies, I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Likes