Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-08-2016, 10:29 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need input--cricut vs silhouette, air vs plug in?

Hi everyone. Obviously this is a loaded question but here goes. I prefer not to use my PC. I'd be thrilled to use my iPad. I'm having a hard time deciding which machine is best to purchase. I have read a lot about the benefits of both. Maybe you could tell me what you don't like...eg cartridges to buy? Prescriptions? Ease of use if you're new to a machine, cost in can vs American currency and value. Sorry to bug you on Mother's Day but

Happy Mother's Day to you all!

Thanks!

Shelley
hlymbics gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the silhouette cameo. So that's all I can talk about. It can't be used with a iPad only but many people have a dedicated laptop for their cameo. I have this as my setup too.

I buy my design on my main computer (downstairs). Guess you could buy this through the iPad but never tried. When I open my cameo software- on my laptop upstairs--it will download my designs. I don't have to stay connected to the Internet.

I believe you need to stay connected to the Internet for the cricut

I love love my cameo. I would be happy to call / email all you want. Just PM me !

You don't have to buy any membership for the cameo. There are many many free designs all over the Internet and in several Facebook groups

For cost - you could buy a used cameo. The average rate is $250 but they run sales all the time. Most of the tools I use with my cameo are not from silhouette- I buy them all over at many varieties. Can even find some supplies at the dollar store.

The ease. Well it's not the easiest thing to plug in and start. It does take time time to learn. For example - my friend started with a hard first project. When I spent an hour showing her all the steps - she's a pro now. There are tons of videos and blogs how to use it

Just PM me !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2016, 12:32 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a Cameo and love it. I sold my Cricut to buy the Cameo as I didn't want to pay for the cartridges. That was 4 years ago and I understand things have changed, but I haven't checked it out since I switched brands. I buy cut files from the Silhouette store and get free ones from Miss Kate, My Scrap Chick and Pretty Paper Pretty Ribbons, SVG Cuts and many other sites offer free files. (You would need to get the Silhouette Studio Designer Edition software to cut these free SVG files.) Only thing that isn't working well for me are the print and cuts. They seem to cut slightly off the edges the further down the page the design goes. Other than that I am very happy with the machine and highly recommend it.

Last edited by deeth1; 05-09-2016 at 12:35 AM.. Reason: Added software name
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2016, 02:48 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I have a Cricut Explore Air, and I love it. I often use the iPad app and the Bluetooth connection from my laptop to design and cut wirelessly. Love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2016, 11:41 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a Cameo too and I love it! it does have a small learning curve. I don't consider myself all that techno, but there are so many tutorials and you tube videos that I found them easy to learn. I use it a lot to cut out vinyl, either for signs or heat transfer for shirts. What I love about it is that I can design it on my laptop, fill in the colors, size it up and see almost exactly how it will look before I cut. Lately I have been designing lot of my own designs and I LOVE it. I had a $20 credit with Silhouette and I still have money left on my account after a year. I find the company more friendlier too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2016, 12:36 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a cameo and like it a lot for as often as I use it. However, I think I may have been happier with the Brother Scan N Cut. I love the look of fussy cut stamped images, but don't like to cut them myself. I know I can do it with the cameo pic mat, but the Brother seems a lot easier for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2016, 06:17 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Also I would suggest joining a silhouette and a cricut Facebook group. You can hear a lot of feedback and discussion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2016, 04:01 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Default ScanNCut

I love the ScanNCut. What made me choose it over the other machines was its ability to scan. I scanned dies I cut using the Big Shot and saved the images which makes for cutting multiple dies a lot easier and quicker!

I also have an iPad and love using it with my ScanNCut. Another plus with this machine is you don't really need any computer or electronic device to cut or Scan so you can take it anywhere there is an outlet and cut images using the screen on the device. You can also load additional images on a flash drive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2016, 04:05 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Send a message via Skype™ to pamshobby

I'm throwing in another option...Brother Scan n Cut. It is a fantastic machine and can be used with your iPad. I have had mine for 18 months and absolutely love it. You don't need any cartridges and it does not hook up to a computer. It comes with designs in the machine and you can also design your own in their computer cloud base program Canvas. The Scan n Cut 2 is wireless so it will go right to your machine. I don't have that one so I just download my designs on a flash drive and then put that into my Scan n Cut. Very easy! I know you will enjoy whatever you decide on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2016, 04:50 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 934 Likes on 855 Posts

Stampermomof2 says: " I love the ScanNCut. What made me choose it over the other machines was its ability to scan. I scanned dies I cut using the Big Shot and saved the images which makes for cutting multiple dies a lot easier and quicker! " post #8

Pamshobby says "I'm throwing in another option...Brother Scan n Cut. It is a fantastic machine and can be used with your iPad. " post #9

I have to agree with these 2 ladies...I love my Scan N Cut by Brother. No cartridges or computer needed and I have l loved being able to scan in my stamped images and having them cut on this lovely machine. Fussy cutting is sooo "Yesterday"! LOL
Good luck making your decision....lots to think about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2016, 05:38 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

I have over the years, ( at least 12) tried the original pazzles machine, (terrible learning curve for software if you were not informed in the graphic design industry) then a circuit expression (lots and lots of cartridges and dollars) then a circuit mini (to use the computer and not have to find the LOTS of cartridges, but you did still have to buy and own them), then a silhouette cameo ( where I currently live). I have been looking lately for a machine that would cut heavier materials and not create any more of a space crisis in my office/craft room that already exists (stupid office stuff! I could use that space for more craft stuff ;>). ) After looking, I am going to wait a while longer to see what Silhouette brings out next. I tried out the design space software, and I have converted some of my circuit cartridges files to cut on my silhouette and vis-versa, and still find that the silhouette software is easiest for me to use with the most customizable features. I have a year and half of learning in that system and still learn something new every time I use it. I love that I can invest what it used to cost for 4 circuit cartridges and have a years worth of cut files from the silhouette store. I really recommend the silhouette universe, as much for the software as the machine, (but yesterday, with my 2 versions old machine, I was still able to accurately cut a sentiment file with hairline flourishes beautifully, and... got them off of the mat, and... got them stuck to my fingers with glue pen!) and I assume that as innovation precedes with all other companies, it will with the silhouette products. BUT...you will have to expect to do some learning! BUT...there are so many resources on the web and you-tube, it is amazing!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2016, 07:03 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Shelley, do you need the ability to cut 12 inches wide? as the Silhouette Portrait would be a cheaper option if 8.5 inch width is OK, or the Curio.
Silhouette now have an app which you can do some designing in, and they have just introduced their "cloud". I imagine the next model they introduce will be able to use WiFi and not need a PC but they are not there yet.
I don't know how good the Internet is and the Wi-Fi in your house, but I would prefer not to have something that stopped working if too many of my neighbors were on Netflix or whatever, so I personally would not get a machine that had to stay online to work.

If you plan to draw your own designs a lot you may find a PC easier and more accurate.
You could install the Silhouette App to try it out if you think you might go that way. It is free but you have to register with an email address. Actually you can try the Silhouette software for free on your PC or MAC too.

Just a happy owner with a bit of IT knowledge.
Jenny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Cricut Explore Air is a great machine. You do not have to own cartridges, but can upload them to your account and use them if you do. You can upload images from the Internet or buy them from the Cricut store. The machine works great with the iPad and cuts beautifully on many different surfaces from paper, vinyl and chipboard to poster board. I owned previous Cricuts and this is the easiest to use. Even designing is fun. For all of the machines there is learning curve. Hope you love whatever you get. There are lots of video projects on YouTube.
Reply With Quote Likes