Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need card ideas please for someone with cancer

I just found out that my DS's den leader for most of his cub scout life (he quit during the fall) has uterine cancer. I'd like to send a card just saying our prayers are with her. Ideas? I have no idea what her prognosis is, all I know is she has had treatments (she is currently bald). I'm not sure what to say.

I should mention that I heard this - I've not seen her. Another former cub mom say her and asked me about it. I in turn contacted a current cub mom to ask about it. The current cub mom told me it was uterine cancer and she had had treatments.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2007, 02:05 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

As the sister of someone who died very young of colon cancer, I can tell you that "thinking of you" cards are always nice. I wouldn't say, "I heard it from so & so." Just send a nice card, but don't make it sound like you think she's on death's doorstep. Let her know that you're thinking of her and praying for her. Maybe even add something personal about how she's been an encouragement to DS and you really appreciate her. Now you hope that she can rest and let herself be encouraged by others. (something to that effect--if it's true, of course! LOL)

HTH! ;-)
TAC Demonstrator #1484/Manager, Smilin' Stampers
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2007, 02:58 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I would also not make the card to deep and emotional. I'm sure she appreciates the thought that you care enough to send a card, but who wants to be reminded every moment that you are dealing with cancer? You might want to offer some help. Maybe a dinner to drop off or something like that. My mom had be cook and freeeze when she was doing chemo so she wouldn't have to think, just microwave.

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2007, 07:40 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I lost my husband to colon cancer at a young age (he was 37 at diagnosis and 39 when he passed). I was 34 and we had 6 young children. I can tell you first hand that the cards that said people cared and were praying meant SO MUCH to us! At first it felt like all our friends just dissappeared, but then once we let them know how we were dealing with it, and were in it for the win, they came out of the woodwork and did everything possible to help us! Chemo days are long, and so offers of picking up the kids from school, or giving them rides to soccer practice... mowing the lawn or meals brought over were such a wonderful blessing so that we could focus our home time on being a family and not chores.
Our whole community in NW Spokane was such a wonderful place to be during that time as they were just awesome in lifting us in prayer and letting us know that we were not alone! It was especially comforting for our children...
I think a nice card is a great idea, and perhaps if you are available...ask if there is anything you could do to help make a chemo day easier on the family! Your DS will learn a lot about compassion and community in whatever you choose to do. You're a great friend to think of this! I think also the idea to keep things light is important.... I know lots of people who have beat the diagnosis of cancer, and one thing they all had in common was a great outlook and lots of support!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2007, 08:09 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I have used the sentiment from "all that I've seen" for a family member coming to the end of a long illness, but that may be inappropriate here. Did you see the craft magazine issue dealing with cards for difficult occasions (may have been PaperCrafts)? One sample used SU's current skunk set with a bandanna type head covering (similar to those sometimes worn by women who have lost their hair in chemo with the sentiment "cancer stinks"! I might not send that to someone I didn't know well but I think it shows lighthearted cards have their place. When my mother-in-law had cancer a friend would send a very funny card every week and she really appreciated the lift. I have also tried to strike a middle ground using cheerful spring-like flowers when sending cards to a neighbor with breast cancer. You are very kind to do this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 03:58 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gave this some thought and decided that if I was to receive a card from someone I would want something that would make me laugh. Something that will make me forget the seriousness for just a few seconds and remind me how alive I am still and motivate me to keep on fighting. It would be the card I remember most from all the other cards that might seem to be all the same. You know what I mean? As well, include a personal note as was suggested in a previous reply. Good luck! I'm sure everyone would be interested in seeing what you come up with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 07:04 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wenchie
I gave this some thought and decided that if I was to receive a card from someone I would want something that would make me laugh. Something that will make me forget the seriousness for just a few seconds and remind me how alive I am still and motivate me to keep on fighting. It would be the card I remember most from all the other cards that might seem to be all the same. You know what I mean? As well, include a personal note as was suggested in a previous reply. Good luck! I'm sure everyone would be interested in seeing what you come up with.
I had an aunt who passed away from cancer a couple of years ago. I sent her a variety of cards, including humorous. I thought she would appreciate a laugh from a wacky card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 08:40 AM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A card with "Thoughts of you", "Thinking of you"

"Just to say hello" "Hello" would be nice to get.

I know when my mom was dying I would send her cards using some of the same idea's as above.

She always made a comment that it made her feel loved and wanted!
And also bought a little Sunshine to her life.

Hope this helps you.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 09:51 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Hi,

I am a cancer survivor and just started a group called cards for cancer. If you pm me with your information, I will send you one of my cancer support cards. My group will be making 100 cards and book marks for cancer patients that will be donated to local organizations. I haven't uploaded any of my work yet (no time I also work fulltime). Let me know if I can send you a sample. You can also check out my website at http://www.cardsforcancer.org-a.googlepages.com.
Let me know if I can help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 10:02 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

There is a beautiful "what cancer cannot do " stamp from www.catholicrubberstamps.com that is very inspiring.
Nicci
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Sorry for the hijack...but.... Marcia, I checked out your website and blog -- what a wonderful way to use your hobby. Good luck on your first workshop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2007, 09:10 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks Ms. Moxie! I will be using the stamp mentioned is post #10 and a bunch of other ones I have been collecting. I will be posting pictures of the participants and the cards we make on Sunday sometime next week. Check back then. Your kind words are very appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2007, 11:24 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Default card ideas for someone with cancer

having had breast cancer twice in the last 5 years it was such a good feeling to have people send cards saying "thinking of you" or "praying for you" or "you are in my thoughts". anything along that line I would say to go for. It means so much to the person who is going through treatments or not just to know others have them in their hearts and have taken the time to send a greeting of some kind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2007, 12:41 PM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicci
There is a beautiful "what cancer cannot do " stamp from www.catholicrubberstamps.com that is very inspiring.
Nicci
I was going to suggest the same stamp.
My mom this one:
Cancer Cannot by DawnL at Splitcoaststampers
Here is mine:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...42362490uPqeib
Sorry for the quality of my card.. was a newbie then ;)

Reply With Quote Likes