Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says-oh crap, she's up
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M's on Turkey day

Did any go to Michaels yesterday? I didn't go but and was wondering how it went for everyone????

are you a bereaved parent too? http://www.thecompassionatefriends.org/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 07:20 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Yep! It was simple and painless. There were about 15 of us there at 6. They were very well stocked. I'm actually heading back right now.

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 09:21 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I went and it was crazy! My DH and I were going to get a new Christmas tree, but there were so many people there to look at the Cricut cartridges. I am so glad I don't have or want a cricut! We got there at 5:30 and there were already about 5 people in line, by 6:00 there were over 50 and by the time we got out of the store it was completely packed full of people!

Check out My Gallery!

Proud Army wife!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 12:53 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Even if I hadn't been busy cooking all day with my mom and then enjoying dinner with the fam (saw my uncle for the first time since I was a kid), I wouldn't have gone to M's on Thanksgiving Day. I'm actually hoping that enough of us were torqued off by that decision to be open and stayed home that they won't consider it worthwhile next year to pull their employees away from their families just to man the store for a few short hours.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Nope! Stores here are prohibited by law to be open on Thanksgiving and I worked today. So there was no temptation to buy more.

My new BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 01:25 PM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

No but I did go today, mid-morning - and I was very impressed - they were stocked full of Cricut cartridges and there were no crowds :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I didn't go last night. Not because I was "torqued" about their decision to be open--there just wasn't anything calling my name.

I would love it if an M's employee would enlighten us as to whether they were "forced" to work Thanksgiving night. The economy is bad. Retail is feeling it the worst. I don't blame a store-big box or mom&pop-for choosing to draw in customers early and try to turn a profit right now.

I went and spent about $800 today in various stores and just about finished my Christmas shopping for my family. It was fabulous. No guilt. In fact, I feel I got some AWESOME deals today and I'm finally excited about Christmas and seeing their faces when they get what they thought they could never receive right now with all this talk of doom and gloom. AND I supported our economy--a bonus in my eyes.

I just think about how bummed I'd feel if some of my favorite stores went under because of the economy and how scared we've all become to spend anything. Some of our stores here locally are already closed.:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #8  
Vintage Vixen

I didn't go to Michaels on Thanksgiving but I went this morning because the coupon was better. The main crowd (at 6:00 a.m.) was around the Cricut cartridges display. LOL! I don't have a Cricut and wasn't buying one. I was there to get ribbon and paper for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary invitations, but I did pick up a few items for my SCS secret santa. I didn't have to wait in line at the checkout and I was out of there by 6:45.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 02:17 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

No...I didn't brave it. I figured I didn't really need anything from there yet so I waited. I may go this wknd. if the need arises.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

I did go -- ours was kind of crowded. I had 3 carts on my list and they only had 1, so I got it. BUT today I went to my local Wal-Mart and they had 1 of the carts there (and they don't normally carry Cricut stuff b/c it's a small Wal-Mart) AND they price matched the Michael's price! So I got it for $29.99!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 04:59 PM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

I could have gone, I think. We were home by 6:00. When did they open?
Anyway, I didn't go out yesterday or today. I may go out tomorrow....we'll see. We did Thanksgiving yesterday with my inlaws, but my family is getting together on Sunday. So, tomorrow is my only window to shop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapcat71View Post
I didn't go last night. Not because I was "torqued" about their decision to be open--there just wasn't anything calling my name.

I would love it if an M's employee would enlighten us as to whether they were "forced" to work Thanksgiving night. The economy is bad. Retail is feeling it the worst. I don't blame a store-big box or mom&pop-for choosing to draw in customers early and try to turn a profit right now.

I went and spent about $800 today in various stores and just about finished my Christmas shopping for my family. It was fabulous. No guilt. In fact, I feel I got some AWESOME deals today and I'm finally excited about Christmas and seeing their faces when they get what they thought they could never receive right now with all this talk of doom and gloom. AND I supported our economy--a bonus in my eyes.

I just think about how bummed I'd feel if some of my favorite stores went under because of the economy and how scared we've all become to spend anything. Some of our stores here locally are already closed.:(
I wasn't forced to work last night. It was a volunteer first for us. I am not sure about other stores but we had enough people that "wanted" to work, so we were all happy. All of us had to work today though. Since it was the first time they had been open on Thanksgiving we weren't sure what to expect but alot of the employees that worked said it was better then today as far as the crowds. I am so glad that alot of people got some great deals. I am going to do my shopping this weekend so hopefully there are still some deals out there!
--------
Caren
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 05:52 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

My husband and I drove to the nearest Michaels last night about 7, 30 milies away. It was not overly crowded but people were shopping. I walked out and didn't buy 1 thing on sale. haha!!! Thought the cuttlebug folders were on sale but the cashier said no....should have read the whole ad through. The stamps don't go on sale until in the a.m but I will be there. They are newly fully stocked and they have some great ones I am wanting to pick up. Didn't bother me to shop on Thanksgiving at all. I feel like any boost we can give our economy right now to try to save any of the list of growing closing stores is worth it.

My Blog http://snipsofpapershadesofink.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sandi

You drove all that way and didnt buy anything??!!?? LOL Shame on you.. Hope you are doing well! Talk to you soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 06:36 PM   #15  
Chat Box Chicks Good Girl

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I didn't go but I went today and our cashier said she didn't have to work the night before. She did see that they did about $20,000 last night. I about fell over when she said that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #16  
kraf*T*y mama

I went but because hubby and I were going to the movies and it was on the way! Ours was CRAZY busy! Like another poster said I am glad I wasn't interested in the cricut carts! Two of my friends were there and between them bought 10!!! No I wanted to check out the exclusive paper packs!!!!

I went to the display and they didn't even have the MME or Bazzil!!!! They were supposed to be for the sale only and my friend said ours put them out early!!!! Our Michaels frustrates me often! So I had two PP packs the Basic Grey and SEI and the American Crafts Christmas cardstock - didn't realize the stamps aren't until SATURDAY!

I get to the check out FINALLY moved very slow! and asked about the paper packs my clerk was clueless! then behind me HUGE commotion - several people had gotten some pre lit tree in a planter type deal that was apparently the FRIDAY door buster and the manager was YELLING at the customers!!!! Accusing them of going in the back room and getting them!!! NO REALLY!

I turn back around to my line and the cardstock rings up full price! Grrr! I ask and the clerk says I don't know and I don't have an ad to look and by then I just wanted out of there as to not be late for our movie and I say fine put the cardstock back and she looks at me NOT KIDDING and asks "which one is the CARDSTOCK? First of all it said cardstock on it and second how can you work at Michaels and not know what cardstock is!?!?!?!?!

I went back today and got my cardstock and had my ad with me and they gave me the 40% off! and the same clerk was there- I avoided her line!

Mama to Kaden, Blake, and Ava

Origami Owl Independent Designer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

We went last night, bought lots of christmas decorations and 2 cricut cartridges and some ebellishments!! Then headed to see "Bolt" which was a super cute movie!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2008, 09:04 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't go on Thursday, but went on Friday around 1pm in York,PA where we were for Thanksgiving, I was there with my hubby and MIL, and it was so crowded, I spent like $10.
I don't like shopping in crowded stores, I just get frustrated and leave. LoL. One reason I like shopping online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2008, 11:07 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I went with my SIL. It wasn't too bad. The main attraction was the Cricut cartridges. I went for the Cricut expression because they price matched Walmart and I got it for $199. Well worth the trip and better than going to Walmart on black Friday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

I went Thurs. night to stores in Snellville and LaVista and bought a few things, all at Snellville. I bought 1 cricut cartridge and stamps were already ringing up 50% off so I got them. The store in Snellville was busy, but not swamped. It was getting late by the time I got to LaVista, they were still busy.

Denise
Reply With Quote Likes