Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
I would be happy if SU offered an option to buy either mounted or unmounted. 238 73.68%
I would be unhappy if SU offered the option to buy either mounted or unmounted. 85 26.32%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2007, 03:37 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounted vs. Unmounted Offshoot Poll

Would you be OK with SU offering an OPTION of mounted and unmounted or would you not want them to offer the OPTION?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 03:39 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

hehe I don't know who this comment was for but I hope it's ok I'm responding I am new to split and trying to figure out the whole thread thing...I totally NEED SU to offer this option...I kinda have a hard time letting go of things and my su sets are no exception so storage is a huge problem on top of we are a military family...hopefuly they will at least consider offering the sets with no wood and that could save on S&H
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 03:39 PM   #3  
8 Cow Woman

I'm a demo and I'd be fine with them offering the option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 03:41 PM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

If it didn't affect the price of wood mounted stamps- why would wood mounted fans be unhappy?

As an unmounted fan- I'd be happy with an unmounted option, but I would expect the price to be a bit less expensive. Maybe 20-30%?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

I think it would be nice to have the option, I guess I could buy more stamps if they were cheaper unmounted
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 03:54 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I'm a demo and I would be happy for the option, also.

V
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No problems with that option....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 03:58 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Could those who are unhappy with the idea of them offering the option tell us why? To me it is kind of like an ice cream store that only offers vanilla. Then they add chocolate. Why would that bother the vanilla fans? Just verrrry curious about this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 04:11 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Wouldn't bother me if they went unmounted but I would probably still buy mounted. I think the option would be great for everyone. I personally love the feel of the wood mounted for some reason, but I see the draw for unmounted as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Housefan, thanks for wording your poll better than mine. I realize now that my choice of words upset some people, but I'm glad they said so because I learn from my mistakes and not ashamed to say I made an error.

~ Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 04:55 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Kathy, as much as anything I am just sooooo curious as to why anyone would begrudge the option. I think your post was fine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 04:57 PM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

I think I would still get the wood, but I certainly have no problem with SU! offering an option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 05:06 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I "begrudge" the option because I think it would affect the cost and/or selection of stamps... there simply is only so much room on the pick line (I've been there, and it *is* full) and to offer all the stamps as mounted or unmounted would cost space on the pickline. If the option of unmounted were offered, it would in effect double the amount of space needed for stamps on the pick line. There are two ways this could be handled: 1) offer half as many stamp sets to make space for the unmounted option, or 2) expand the distribution center to make more room for all the stamps.

The smaller amount of storage needed at home (or in a small business) for unmounted stamps just does not apply on a large pick line such as SU's. The same amount of space is needed no matter how large or small an item.

Because offering an unmounted option would *at this time* either increase the cost of SU's product or decrease the selection, I chose that I would be unhappy if SU offered unmounted stamps. If at some time in the future these barriers could be overcome without sacrificing value or diversity in stamps, I would be happy to see that choice made available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 05:08 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I would like the option, but you have to know that it would add to the cost of the product in the long run. It would change the production lines, take different types of packaging, and change how the orders have to placed into boxes. All of which cost money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 05:08 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

someone mentioned that there might less options of they had both. I mean less designs because their "pick line" (new term to me and I love it) would be doubled. So that's a concern, but if they could do it with the same amount of options then I would think there cold be no complaint. Well someone will surely have one, but not one I can see.

Me, I voted for unmounted. I just want the most rubber at the lowest price. They are cute though I'll buy them anyhow, but as some people said, I have X amount to spend and that's it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 05:08 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow, we were typing at the same time! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 05:15 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sorry Belinda, it took me a while to type my answer and you put yours better in the mean time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 05:16 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

OH and sorry Kiraj too, man I stink at this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 05:22 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by belindaking
I "begrudge" the option because I think it would affect the cost and/or selection of stamps... there simply is only so much room on the pick line (I've been there, and it *is* full) and to offer all the stamps as mounted or unmounted would cost space on the pickline. If the option of unmounted were offered, it would in effect double the amount of space needed for stamps on the pick line. There are two ways this could be handled: 1) offer half as many stamp sets to make space for the unmounted option, or 2) expand the distribution center to make more room for all the stamps.

The smaller amount of storage needed at home (or in a small business) for unmounted stamps just does not apply on a large pick line such as SU's. The same amount of space is needed no matter how large or small an item.

Because offering an unmounted option would *at this time* either increase the cost of SU's product or decrease the selection, I chose that I would be unhappy if SU offered unmounted stamps. If at some time in the future these barriers could be overcome without sacrificing value or diversity in stamps, I would be happy to see that choice made available.
I am really confused. Same rubber, same designs, they just don't put wood in the box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 05:27 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan
I am really confused. Same rubber, same designs, they just don't put wood in the box.
Which would require a change in their manufacturing lines, because SU makes all their own stamps. There would have to be a process for getting the stamps w/o blocks from the machine to the picking lines, and there isn't currently one. Also, the picking lines are mostly mechanized, meaning machines place orders in the boxes not people. So there would have to be room for double the amount of stamps on the picking line. And I'm sure people wouldn't want to get giant boxes if they were buying unmounted, so that system would have to change too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 06:11 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

The rubber, wood, and sticker sheet aren't put into the plastic case at the distribution center, that's done at the manufacturing facility, which is several (8-10?) hours away. The sets are then boxed up and shipped to the distribution center. Once at the distribution center, the stamp sets are put in the row of the pick line that they belong in. The pick line worker grabs the stamp set (which was loaded into the appropriate place) when its light comes on signifying that it is to be shipped to you.

To have both the mounted and unmounted options, first they would have to come up with a packaging for the unmounted sets, and those would have to be packaged seperately from the mounted sets at the manufacturing facility to be shipped to the distribution center. Then you have two places on the pick line-- one for the mounted set of stamps, and one for the unmounted set. Yes, the spot at the pick line would have to be filled less often for the same number of stamp sets sold. But you'd still need two spots on the pick line for one design of stamps.

Kira, machines don't pick the orders-- people still do that. The process is more automated, so while the workers used to physically look at the packing slip and check which of the items need to go into the box, then put those items in the box... now when the box gets into that area, the worker scans the box (that's what the bar codes on the outside of your SU box are for), it pulls up your specific order in the computer, and lights come up in that person's zone at the items that go in that box, along with a number indicating how many of that item go in your box. Plus the system has been upgraded recently for smaller orders with the capability to pick 6 orders to a divided box, then have those orders divided into smaller boxes (that are too small for the conveyer belts) or padded envelopes.

I got to work the pick line for a few minutes at convention last year, and BOY do I have a lot more respect for those workers! They're amazing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for clarifying that point Belinda!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by belindaking
The rubber, wood, and sticker sheet aren't put into the plastic case at the distribution center, that's done at the manufacturing facility, which is several (8-10?) hours away. The sets are then boxed up and shipped to the distribution center. Once at the distribution center, the stamp sets are put in the row of the pick line that they belong in. The pick line worker grabs the stamp set (which was loaded into the appropriate place) when its light comes on signifying that it is to be shipped to you.

To have both the mounted and unmounted options, first they would have to come up with a packaging for the unmounted sets, and those would have to be packaged seperately from the mounted sets at the manufacturing facility to be shipped to the distribution center. Then you have two places on the pick line-- one for the mounted set of stamps, and one for the unmounted set. Yes, the spot at the pick line would have to be filled less often for the same number of stamp sets sold. But you'd still need two spots on the pick line for one design of stamps.

Kira, machines don't pick the orders-- people still do that. The process is more automated, so while the workers used to physically look at the packing slip and check which of the items need to go into the box, then put those items in the box... now when the box gets into that area, the worker scans the box (that's what the bar codes on the outside of your SU box are for), it pulls up your specific order in the computer, and lights come up in that person's zone at the items that go in that box, along with a number indicating how many of that item go in your box. Plus the system has been upgraded recently for smaller orders with the capability to pick 6 orders to a divided box, then have those orders divided into smaller boxes (that are too small for the conveyer belts) or padded envelopes.

I got to work the pick line for a few minutes at convention last year, and BOY do I have a lot more respect for those workers! They're amazing!
All I know is that there are plenty of companies out there that accomodate both options. What do they have that SU could not duplicate?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 06:20 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

All I know is that there are plenty of companies out there that accomodate both options. What do they have that SU could not duplicate?

SU could duplicate it, just for a higher product cost. And from what I've read about your opinions on SU prices, thats not a solution you would be willing to accept either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

The process that SU utilizes has just been explained in detail to you. SU may be contemplating offering this option; but they are probably the one of the largest companies out there and it takes lots of time and resources to work out the details.

My word, why don't you just purchase from other companies and quit beating this poor old dead horse?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 06:30 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiraj
SU could duplicate it, just for a higher product cost. And from what I've read about your opinions on SU prices, thats not a solution you would be willing to accept either.
Then why can other companies do it for so much less? I just bought the most lovely set of 6 unmounted rather large stamps for $11.95. The same stamps mounted were $16.95.

I am just so curious as to why SU and the SU demos have dug their heels in to the point of being offended when anyone even wants to discuss this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 06:30 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Less product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 06:32 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't care if they offer unmounted, as long as they keep the mounted version too. I'm not interested in trying unmounted. Plus, SU would appeal to everyone by offering both.
~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 06:33 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Then why can other companies do it for so much less? I just bought the most lovely set of 6 unmounted rather large stamps for $11.95. The same stamps mounted were $16.95.

I am just so curious as to why SU and the SU demos have dug their heels in to the point of being offended when anyone even wants to discuss this?

I haven't seen anyone offended. :confused:

I am just so curious as to why you get so offended at the very thought of SU or the idea that some people do like their products and business methods. If you don't like the product, find, no one forces you to buy it. There's no point in continually berating it though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 06:36 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm not offended at all... you asked for an opinion, and I gave my opinion. I backed up my opinion with facts about how SU currently operates. You seem to be offended that my opinion is not the same as yours and you backed up your opinion with what other companies offer.

If and when SU could offer unmounted and mounted sets without raising prices or sacrificing selection, I would be the first to cheer on a new era of stamping as we know it. ;) Since as I see it that time is not yet here, I would be unhappy to see that option because it would either raise prices or sacrifice selection because of the way the manufacturing facility and distribution center are currently set up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 06:39 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiraj
I haven't seen anyone offended. :confused:

I am just so curious as to why you get so offended at the very thought of SU or the idea that some people do like their products and business methods. If you don't like the product, find, no one forces you to buy it. There's no point in continually berating it though.
It has been referred to in this thread as a dead horse and I have been asked to stop. I guess that is about as offended as one gets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 06:40 PM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

I am honestly sorry that I posted this poll and dared to ask such a question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 06:41 PM   #33  
Sassy Shani

AMEN!
Quote:

Originally Posted by plkelley
The process that SU utilizes has just been explained in detail to you. SU may be contemplating offering this option; but they are probably the one of the largest companies out there and it takes lots of time and resources to work out the details.

My word, why don't you just purchase from other companies and quit beating this poor old dead horse?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 06:43 PM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

It has been referred to in this thread as a dead horse and I have been asked to stop. I guess that is about as offended as one gets.
LOL - I am not offended, just curious as to your motives. If I had the white-hot hatred for SU that you seem to harbor, I would not buy from them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 06:45 PM   #35  
Sassy Shani

Have you ever heard of the term "stirring the pot" ?
Quote:

I am honestly sorry that I posted this poll and dared to ask such a question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 06:47 PM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by plkelley
LOL - I am not offended, just curious as to your motives. If I had the white-hot hatred for SU that you seem to harbor, I would not buy from them.
Goodness. Never knew my curiosity could be exaggerated into white hot hatred! You are good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 06:48 PM   #37  
Sassy Shani

HF.........oh gosh, nevermind. Not worth it. *bowing out now* :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 06:58 PM   #38  
Gabfest Goddess

I don't like unmounted, but I wouldn't want to keep that option away from others!

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 07:07 PM   #39  
Mad Swapper

It is too bad that we cannot, as adults, post our reply to the question asked and move on! If you don't like the post, poll, etc., you don't have to reply!
Sally Taylor, Fun Stampers Journey Coach #1118

My FSJ site
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 07:10 PM   #40  
Kookie Creator

I'm all for an unmounted option! Every stamper I know is sick of paying for wood they will not be using. SU is quite capable of changing their methods to better serve their customers without passing that cost onto the devoted demos and customers. Companies have to spend money to make money, period.

And, I think the comment about beating a dead horse is out of line. If you don't like what another scs'er is going on about then stop reading their posts. I didn't see housefan "berate" SU at all in this post.
Reply With Quote Likes