Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default More alcohol marker confusion...Prismacolor and Zig Kurecolor anyone?

I've been reading the boards about Copic ($$$), promarkers and Spectrum Noir (mixed but affordable) and now comes the Zig Kurecolor Kuretake markers. They're made in Japan for EK success and seem to get good reviews on the blogs I'm reading. They come square or round barrel and are double tipped. Round barrel holds more ink. Last they come single tip, the cheapest. And, they have interchangeable nibs that fit all the markers, so if you don't like the chisel, you can swap it for the brush tip. ACMoore and others are selling them.

URL: Kuretake: ZIG Kurecolor Alcohol Markers & Inks: The Basics!

Now, I just found that Michael's has Prismacolor alcohol markers. Can share another blog URL: Craft Product Review: Prismacolor Premier Art Markers | Craft Test Dummies

Can this get any more confusing for the newbies just starting out and are mostly experience with Crayola crayons?

MOB
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just to add to your confusion... lol

I use Touch markers available at an assortment of places... here is the link to MarkerPOP.

Search results for: 'touch' | MarkerPOP.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And now American Craft is making Alcohol Markers.

American Crafts Studio Blog: Sneak Peek Week: Chormatics, Patterned Albums & Remarks Stickers

I've seen them at Michaels and Hobby Lobby so far. They sell them in 3 to a package.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Bic MarkIt markers are alcohol-based, as well. I have some Bics and some Prismacolors that I use together. I plan to get some of the ShinHan Touch markers soon...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2012, 03:50 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

The only ones I have that were mentioned are the Prisma's. I do have some Copics. I have the whole set of Prisma's.

Copics have the nice brush end, refillable, and you can change the nibs.

I really love my Prisma markers. I think they lay down very nicely. They are the second highest rated alcohol markers next to Copic's for artists. Dick Blick has some good reviews. They last forever. If you are a hard core user of alcohol markers then the Copic's would probably be a better buy in the long run because they are refillable.

My big gripe with the Prisma's are the caps. You have to twist the cap to remove it. Prisma practically glued their caps on too keep the markers fresh. Trust me it does a great job, lol. I actually had to find a tutorial on how to take the darn cap off. I don't recommend them for people who have problems with their hands. It's one of those items you need to see if you can get the cap off before you buy.

The other thing I like about the Prisma markers you can use them with your Prisma color pencils. The results are beautiful. I learned this technique watching a Prisma video on their site.

The markers are excellent for altering ribbon, brads, rhinestones. All those things we like to alter using our alcohol markers.

The third most popular marker on the art scene and stamping scene are the LetraSet's. You can find a lot of tutorials on the net and You Tube. LetraSet's are very well loved with the UK stampers and artists. I hope to buy some sets. I do have a small set of watercolor markers and I can't stop raving about those watercolor markers to everyone I know. Which is all my friend who could care less since they don't craft, draw or care about art, lol.

I think the Zig markers would be nice too. I like that the markers are low odor and Xylene free.

Add me to the Bic Markit fan club. I mix them with my other alcohol markers. Of course you have to own Sharpies. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Default Just getting started and trying to decide

Are the Bic markers blendable? I have a set from somewhere that's unopened and could start playing with those to see what I like. Does any blender pen work? I have one from CTMH.

The nice think about the non-Copics is that you can use coupons from the big box stores to save money. Will the different brands blend together?

Also, I've read that paper makes a difference...how do I know which paper to buy? Is there some workable cheap stuff that is good just for practicing?

Thanks for all the feedback.
MOB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Bic Mark Its will blend and work with other alcohol ink markers, however, I find the colour the Bics produce to be very intense. I use a combination of markers: Copics, Bic Mark Its, Sharpies, and Prismacolor and they all work fine together. You will need an alcohol blending pen to use with the alcohol inks. The blending pens (like Dove or SU) won't work with the alcohol inks. If you have some of the blending solution for the Adirondak alcohol inks, that will work. There are also you tube tuts on how to make your own alcohol blending solution.

As for paper, I usually use Wausau Exact Index 110#. Its inexpensive and it works great with alcohol markers and digi stamps. Another paper I'm starting to use more and love it is Hammermill Digital Copy 100#. It has a beautiful smooth finish and it colours beautiful too. Both of these papers are available at office supply stores. I think the Wausau is even available at Walmart.

Good luck and be careful! These pens are totally addictive...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

CTMH is releasing alcohol markers as well. They are probably someone else's rebranded but I don't know who actually makes them. They will be sold in sets of two, dark and light, matching shades.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Smile blending pens and blender

Hi,
I do have serveral bottles of the alcohol ink that I've never used. Also have the pads and the blending solution. How would I use the blending solution with alcohol markers? Use a paint brush? Is there a pen to buy at a store that one fills with the blending solution? Also, is there a way to use the bottled ink with some sort of pen or fine brush for coloring?

That's cool about CTMH....I wonder if they're in the new catalog?
Thanks so much for all this information.
Mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Smile blending pens and blender

Hi,
I do have serveral bottles of the alcohol ink that I've never used. Also have the pads and the blending solution. How would I use the blending solution with alcohol markers? Use a paint brush? Is there a pen to buy at a store that one fills with the blending solution? Also, is there a way to use the bottled ink with some sort of pen or fine brush for coloring?

That's cool about CTMH....I wonder if they're in the new catalog?
Thanks so much for all this information.
Mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can get empty copic barrels and you could then fill it up with the blending solution. I haven't tried using the Adirondak inks in an empty barrel, but that sounds like an idea worth trying out. I'll have to remember to get a couple empty pens the next time I place a copic order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobrien207View Post
The nice think about the non-Copics is that you can use coupons from the big box stores to save money. Will the different brands blend together?
All the alcohol markers at the big box stores you can use coupons on. Usually around back to school time Prisma offers a rebate on their markers. It's usually around $10. I bought my Prisma's at Michaels for 50% off and got the rebate. I paid something like 90 cents per marker for the whole set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobrien207View Post
Hi,
Mob
I have used a paint brush to make my own alcohol marker paints. It does work but it's a different technique. A fun one to try though. Warning use cheapie brushes.

Ranger has empty refillable alcohol ink markers- Adirondack Alcohol Ink Fillable Pen*: stamp pads & inks*: stamping*: scrapbooking*: *Shop | Joann.com

Michael's carries them in the Rubber Stamp Section and you can use a coupon.

Reply With Quote Likes