Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-18-2006, 04:26 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mono Multi and cardfronts

So I'm going to kill two birds with one stone here...

I FINALLY found MonoMulti at Joann's the other day and I am now kicking myself for not buying both of them and just buying one....but it is AWESOME! I really appreciate all of you that suggested that I try this product in an earlier post!!! I don't think I'll ever use anything else, especially now that I know TAC carries it relatively cheap! (cheaper than Joann's anyway.) ;)

And two....how many people make just card FRONTS and then adhere them to anactual card? Is that what the cool kids are doing these days? I would imagine that it saves alot on cardstock....seeing as how I just cut a piece in half and fold it to make the card and build from there. Four cards out of nice cardstock and a plain card back or two cards? Who does what?!? ;);)

TIA!
Faerey Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 04:29 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I love the mono multi too! I cant find it anywhere around here, so I've been ordering it online. I wish I could find a local supplier! SCS also introduced me to "Ultra Clean" stamp cleaner and I love it too ... again I buy it online, cant find it locally.

As for cards, I almost always make card fronts and then attach them to the cardstock to make my cards. I just find it easier to work with card fronts.

I do wish I was faster at making cards though. It seems that no matter what card I make it takes me hours to make one card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 04:55 AM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Location: Oil...Hot Pan...Gordon Ramsay sexiest man alive...Done.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mono Multi is the best there is...!

I always make my cards out of CS. I've drained enough money into this hobby, might as well use CS for the base of my cards! And, really, 2 cards from a piece of CS is not that bad!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 05:01 AM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I used to do this card fronts on white for the first 2 years I stamped. Then we were talking to another family member and she asked about it.....we (mamak and I) asked if it was tacky and she said, kinda. Because they don't always line up perfect and stuff.

Now I make full cards. HOnestly, it isn't going to save you that much $.

But that's just my opinion! I get them that way in the mail and I never think they look tacky or anything. It's just how you want to do it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 05:26 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I also use Mono Multi and love the stuff. I make card fronts and adhere them to white or vanilla cardstock. I like the look of it and it's easy to see when you write on it. I sell my cards and not everyone has a gel pen to write on the darker cardstock so it shows up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 06:52 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

I LOVE the mono multi! I like that you can kinda 'slide' the layer into place to get it perfectly lined up.

As for card fronts, I think it looks tacky, like you're trying to cut corners and save a whole .10 per card. I made fronts the whole first year I stamped with SU and now after "seeing the light" I will NEVER go back. I like having a coordinating card.

If you're worried about the person not having a gel pen, buy them one! Make it part of the gift!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 07:30 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I think that cards done with the front get off balance. If using a dark color cardstock, then line with computer paper adhered with spray adhesive. No gel pen needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 07:55 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

I prefer full cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 08:18 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I guess I'm in the minority here, liking the card fronts. I guess its personal preference. When I first started stamping my friend sent me a SU! card that she made that had was on dark cardstock, a full card, and she added a "liner" inside to write on, a piece of white paper ... she was a demo then and she told me how much her customers like the lining inside. I myself thought it looked tacky. Of course I didnt tell her that, lol. So I guess its all personal preference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 08:26 AM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

I make card fronts and attach them to premade cards (I buy them in bulk - 40 or 50 pack- at whatever store they're on sale at). BUT I cut each card front large and then trim it once I glue it on the card so it fits exactly. I've done it this way for years and really like it. I've also done several different sizes of cards this way. Plus, I often give my cards to family members who can't see worth a dern so it gives them more space to write and a lighter surface to write on so they can usually see what they're writing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 08:29 AM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Oh, Mono Multi, that was my favorite for a long time! I'm currently in love with dispensers of double sided tape as to me, they're faster. But, Mono Multi smells better! I know it's weird, but the stuff smells quite nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 08:56 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faereygirl
I FINALLY found MonoMulti at Joann's the other day and I am now kicking myself for not buying both of them and just buying one....but it is AWESOME! I really appreciate all of you that suggested that I try this product in an earlier post!!! I don't think I'll ever use anything else, especially now that I know TAC carries it relatively cheap! (cheaper than Joann's anyway.) ;)
Don't worry! Your one bottle willl last a looooooooooong time! And the deals at penwa.com and scrapbookpal.com are quite good--about the same as a coupon at Joann's. I'm still on my first bottle for my personal cards--I'd say I've made 100 cards with it, maybe more.

And as to card fronts, I honestly don't see the savings, other than you don't have to buy as many whole packs of colored paper. If you use SU white, or even a really good non-SU white, that's 5-10 cents per card, plus your layer of SU colored, which is 5 cents, plus whatever other layers. If you just use SU colored to begin with, it's 10 cents for the half sheet of colored. Add your layer and you're still at 15 cents. Hmmm.

I have classes where we make 100 cards a month at my house. Once I did the math, it really only saved me less than a nickel per card. Don't see a true advantage.

If you like the look, go for it. If you just think you're saving money, really get down to pennies with your math and make sure. Maybe the savings come if you use a cheaper cardstock as your base, but I find those aren't stiff enough to support much layering of heavy SU cardstock. Just my experience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 09:06 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Yeah, I definitely do NOT do it to save money. I just prefer the look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 09:12 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

I don't get the card front vs. whole cards question...a little slow here today, sorry!
What I do is:
I cut a piece of cardstock, whichever color is appropriate, into 2 pieces (or whatever size/shape card I am making) and then I start my layering on the front of the piece I cut. Sometimes I use a background piece of paper in coordinating CS colors and sometimes I don't.
Does that make sense? I just match all the pieces of CS to the rest of my card, you know? HTH!
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 09:17 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Thank you Emily, for giving your opinion with such class, grace, and good manners!

I am currently doing card fronts and when things don't align perfectly (how often do they?) I just trim the assembled card down until the card blank and front are lined up. Any other RAKkers out there who do the card front thing, send me your heartfelt creations and I won't call them anything other than beautiful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 09:23 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I switch between the two. It depends on the cards. For example, I made 25 thank you's for a friend's business and I used fronts. That way the inside was white and she could just write in it. On the other hand, I'm doing 20 very simple wedding invites and I used burgandy cs folded. I will be putting the invite info inside, so it just made sense. I haven't really stuck with one way yet, I mix it up. Isn't the mono great? I started using that as well, thanks to SCS posts here.

My humble beginnings of a gallery
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=72605
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 10:00 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Well you know, I prefer to do full cards....but I saw some thread earlier about someone selling cardfronts on Ebay for an unworldly amount of money. Not that I want to do that....I was just curious as to how many folks were into just making card fronts and gluing them onto the front of stuff. ;)

And yes....Mono Multi....I forget who first suggested that to me, but I love it! Love it! Love it!
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 11:20 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

OK, I think I am la little slow today too. I don't understand the card front thing. Is that when you layer paper on you heavy card stock to give a several layered card? If so then yes I assemble everything first and then glue it all to the heavy cards stock. I wouldnt just send the front- like a postcard, if thats what you mean. Just confused...:???:

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 11:29 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp_cat
OK, I think I am la little slow today too. I don't understand the card front thing. Is that when you layer paper on you heavy card stock to give a several layered card? If so then yes I assemble everything first and then glue it all to the heavy cards stock. I wouldnt just send the front- like a postcard, if thats what you mean. Just confused...:???:
The 'card front thing' means making a card front out of a 1/4 sheet and then adhering it to a 1/2 sheet of neutral card stock, versus making a whole card out of 1/2 sheet of colored card stock and then (presumably) gluing a piece of white card stock on the inside to write on. Same basic result -- a card that measures 4.25" x 5.5" in size. Just different ways to get there.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 01:18 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Ok, so I'm different...

I make a card from white or vanilla 8 x 5.25 (4 x 5.25 folded). I stamp, color, embellish it. I attach it to a coordinating color 4.25 x 5.5 flat piece of CS (1/4 sheet of 8.5 x 11). That gives me a nice 1/8" border around my card. Makes the card pop (hopefully).

I'm going to try to upload some of my cards soon. I have dial-up @ home and a very old computer. So getting it on a cd to bring to work has been slow going. But I am determined to get a gallery going... even though it will be small.

BUT, sometimes I make the card (5.5 x 4.25 folded) out of the colored cs and make a "card front" for it. If it's a light colored cs then I don't put a lining card in it. If it's dark -- I do. Does that make sense? I don't do this option very often. I like the other the best.

my gallery
my blog :
What Was I Inkin'?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 01:37 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korillian
The 'card front thing' means making a card front out of a 1/4 sheet and then adhering it to a 1/2 sheet of neutral card stock, versus making a whole card out of 1/2 sheet of colored card stock and then (presumably) gluing a piece of white card stock on the inside to write on. Same basic result -- a card that measures 4.25" x 5.5" in size. Just different ways to get there.

Oh I guess I make card fronts then! I use alot of dark colors, and Don't like attaching white to write on inside the card... I haven't perfected it yet I guess. I always seem to have many layers to my cards...:-D

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 02:14 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

I would do both. I don't see how card fronts would save money. Aren't you just using more cardstock? Anyway, there is nothing like SU cardstock. I only discovered SU 1 1/2 years ago and have been scrapbooking for over 6. I've never seen any other cardstock that heavy for less. It is the best for base of pages and cards. If the colors I'm working with don't have a color light enough to write on and see without straining your eyes, then mounting on a neutral is the way to go. (I would not use the ultrasmooth unless there was not a lot of layers on the card.)
The problem with fronts that I've seen is that sometimes the card is lopsided and doesn't stand up right if the base is too flimsey. I'd never say never though.
I really should use cardfronts for VSN because most of my VSN creations are crap. I still do the whole card but I recycle the backs of the cards later for tags or layers.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 04:18 PM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

For me card fronts are not about saving money, it's about saving time! I can buy card blanks that are already cut to size and scored -- what's easier than that? No running to Mucky Muck's to get a ream cut down in a single blow but still have to score individually, no cutting down small batches of CS to score -- just grab'n'go.

I can understand folks who politely disagree that the convenience is not worth the result for them, and maybe someday I will agree with them, but for now I'm lovin it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 07:41 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just wanted to make sure everyone knew I wasn't opposed to card fronts. :-) I have heard so many times about the money savings as a reason to do it, that I was quite surprised when I did the math.

My upline hosts swaps for cardfronts, and I do mount them on good (but not SU) quality white or vanilla cardstock. I also agree that it's a great alternative to putting text weight paper inside a dark card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 08:21 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just got some mono multi this week! I'm using it to adhere invitations for my brother's wedding in Oct - it's awesome!!!!! I'm so glad that I read about it here! I had to go back today and get 2 more, I'm loving it!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 07:41 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

I nearly always use white or vanilla card bases (depending on the color scheme) - it does save money, but I actually prefer the look. I like to have dark colors as my bottom "mat" and I do not like the look of dark colored base cards. Also, I can't stand having embellishments "show through" - so I make all my card "fronts" (if that's what you want to call them) 4.125"x5.375" so that there is a perfect white/vanilla frame around the outside of the bottom layer of the card.

Personally, I think it does look tacky to put a "front" that is supposed to be the same size as the base card on a white or offwhite base. It will never line up perfectly and you can also see the double layer along the side. Just not my style.

Oh, and on mono multi - I am officially an addict. (Thanks to this site, of course!) I just ordered a box of 10 applicators from penwa, together with some regular mono refills - nothing like the mono film for attaching ribbon, as far as I'm concerned - but i use the multi for nearly everything else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 07:51 PM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

jenre lawyer, does that mean you always have a white or vanilla mat around the edges of the front you make?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 07:58 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
jenre lawyer, does that mean you always have a white or vanilla mat around the edges of the front you make?
Yep - occasionally, like on a baby card using pretty in pink or barely banana, I'll go ahead and layer everything on colored cardstock, but even then i pretty much do the mat/layer thing.

You can sort of see the "frame" in this scan of a recent upload to the gallery I did:
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

and here's another card that gives you the feel:

(hope those links work!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 12:48 AM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

It all depends on what I'm doing with the cards. If I am using light cardstock, I will sometimes make a card from the cardstock. If I make cards for the DT I am on, I make card fronts and then add them to white. I do this mostly so I can write on the inside with regular pen. I rarely stamp a sentiment on the inside so prefer this method. I layer a lot and always trim the edges so they all line up. I often times cut the strips or squares long and trim to the card front. Just all depends on what I'm doing, what colors I am using, or what mood I am in.

I just did a card tonight where I added layers directly to the cardstock card, however, many in my gallery are card fronts with a white base.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 10:06 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenre lawyer
Yep - occasionally, like on a baby card using pretty in pink or barely banana, I'll go ahead and layer everything on colored cardstock, but even then i pretty much do the mat/layer thing.

You can sort of see the "frame" in this scan of a recent upload to the gallery I did:

and here's another card that gives you the feel:

(hope those links work!)

They look very nice.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 11:45 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Now that I'm sitting here, re-reading my post and thinking about it....what I really meant as far as 'saving' on CS....was you get more card fronts than you do full cards out of one piece. I'm not terribly worried about the money aspect (though who doesn't freak out about the green stuff now and again ;) ), just the CS maximuzation, if that makes sense. LOL. ;)
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes