Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-06-2005, 06:01 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mono Mayhem (SNAIL)

Is anyone else having problems with mono adhesive in the warm weather? I have been using mono for a while but it seems like over the summer I have had difficulty getting it to adhere securely.

The worst incident was when I sent a card to my Mom with ribbon on it and after she had it up a while, the card front "popped" off.

(I've ended up using SU! Sticky Strip lately, but that is not as convenient and is more costly. I've also had Dotto gunk up on me.)

Maybe I am just incompetent with adhesives - ha ha.

Any tips for Mono?

:confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2005, 06:40 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

There have been lots of threads about this. Apparently Viking changed it's Mono somehow, and there are a lot of people unhappy w/ it. (SNAIL is the same stuff). Seems that it different areas, different things work. I love, love SU's mini glue dots, especially for embellishments and cards that have brads or eyelets...things that make the cardfront heavier. Also, I swore off glue sticks a long time ago, however I'm back to using them for most things after trying SU's Anywhere gluestick...I've even tried popping the front off the card, and it holds great. That said, however, I live in a dry climate, which may affect how it works. A lot of people really like Dotto, too.

I guess you just have to try different things, and see what works best for you. HTH!

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2005, 06:59 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Mail in transit spends most of its time in places that are not climate-controlled (that's why the SU! shipping boxes specifically say not to leave them in the heat or direct sunlight), so the adhesive likely warmed and softened between your house and your mom's. If you sent a card during winter weather, you'd probably have better luck!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2005, 09:02 AM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Also - SNAIL is best used for CS to CS application - if you have any embellishments (ribbon, eyelits etc.) you need to use a glue dot or 2 or sticky strip etc. I've never had a prob w/ SNAIL but prob. b/c I only use it to adhere CS to CS. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2005, 09:26 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In most instances, Mono/Snail & Hot Glue for example, temperature extremes can cause adhesive to fail.

One of the advantages I've discovered when using Mono/Snail, is that if I should NEED to separate something I've adhered, I can heat it with my heat gun, and it will loosen it enough to separate the layers/pieces without damage. So, in that case, it's a good thing! ;)

Note, also, that if you are unhappy with a stamp the way it is mounted, you can nuke it in the microwave for 20-30 seconds, and the heat loosens the adhesive enough for you to reposition the rubber/cushion on the wood block. Also, a good thing!

Sticky Strip, however has an alternate chemical reaction when heat is applied--heat actually STRENGTHENS the bond, as opposed to weakening the bond.

I do not know for fact that Tombow has altered the chemical comp of it's Monoadhesive, or the SU! SNAIL adhesive, but you could contact Tombow directly for a direct answer, as they are the manufacturer of these products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2005, 09:58 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree with the CS to CS comment.

I also may use mono on both pieces of CS and/or burnish the pieces together using my bone folder.

Still in humid weather, it's tricker.

dimensionals, however, seem to stick to EVERYTHING!--including where you didn't want them.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes