Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MISTI

I have the small and large misti, which I don't really use. Why does everyone love theirs so much? and how do you use it?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 03:16 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll give you 2 examples of recent cards and why I love my MISTIs. Card #1 had 2 rows of hearts, 12 stamps, all different. After I stamped the first 2 rows, I moved my card up in the MISTI using the grid paper and stamped rows 3 & 4, moved the card up again and stamped rows 5 & 6. My second card - 2 identical cards for nieces - had stitched blocks on the card and I stamped each block with a different wood stamp so I couldn't use the MISTI. There were 14 blocks and with 2 cards that meant I had to stamp each one 2X and I had some stamps that didn't stamp cleanly and had to start over. The first card took me less than 5 minutes to make and the other two cards I worked on for 2 hours before I was happy with the results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I usually make my entire card first, and stamp the inside sentiment last.

Ask me if I've messed up the whole, completed card because I stamped the sentiment wonky inside, or because the stamp didn't stamp all of the words evenly! I use the Misti mainly for things like that, and it is invaluable for that reason. You can re-stamp in exactly the same place.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 07:34 PM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

When I am making 125 Valentines (5 class sets), I adore the assembly line approach. I don't use mine when I'm making just one card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 07:40 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 671 Likes on 422 Posts

take a look at the texture of the background under the words on this card...
FS526 many Birthday wishes by JBgreendawn - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

(those sentiments were inked at least 3 times in various places to get the ink onto all of them with that vibrancy level. so, I did not have to toss this background from mis-stamped sentiments)

so really, I tend to reach for mine all the time for sentiments and or very detailed images. and I even started un-mounting some of my oldest sentiments and converting them to cling foam for this very reason.

and I have been adamantly vocal about keeping all my stamps on wood. ( I used to buy wood for unmounted rubber I came across) :mrgreen:

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2017, 05:21 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 298 Likes on 115 Posts

I like the MISTI for all of the reasons already stated, but I ADORE it for creating stamp indexes! I store my stamps on 5 1/2 x 8 1/2" laminated cardstock panels in page protectors, with a stamped index sheet slid into the page protector so I can see which stamps are where. I can stamp the entire panel at once with the MISTI, as opposed to each individual stamp. SO MUCH FASTER!!! Since I rearrange my stamps fairly regularly (acquiring new ones, purging others), this has been a godsend for me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2017, 05:50 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There is no better way to ensure a fully inked, complete stamp. I know there are lots of other great ways to use it (like lining up layering stamps perfectly) but the main reason I love it is for getting perfect images. When you work with detailed images, that is not always easy to do. Or large image. Or images with a lot of solid surface (especially photopolymer stamps), or images you want to stamp on watercolor paper, which has texture.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
There is no better way to ensure a fully inked, complete stamp. I know there are lots of other great ways to use it (like lining up layering stamps perfectly) but the main reason I love it is for getting perfect images. When you work with detailed images, that is not always easy to do. Or large image. Or images with a lot of solid surface (especially photopolymer stamps), or images you want to stamp on watercolor paper, which has texture.

This!

Have you ever stamped an image, coloured it, layered it, added your embellishments and sat back and looked at it and think it needs something ...and you stamp a sentiment ... and it doesn't stamp clearly, it's blotchy..and you try to line it up but it's slightly off and you get a shadow....I have, and I have cried literally .....for that reason alone I love the Misti.

I love I can get a perfect image each and every time, even when my stamp and ink are not playing ball, I can reink and stamp until I get the image I want.

I also found a new reason to love my Misti, I wanted to make a card with two dogs on it, but I wanted the dogs to be the same, and for them to be facing each other. I stamped my image using the Misti but onto some acetate, and then stamped the image again onto my cardstock, flipped the acetate over and pressed it down, I had two dogs facing each other, I clapped my hands with joy when it worked lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Happy Birthday from the Puppies by jukie - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

the reverse image card I was talking about!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2017, 10:43 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 182 Likes on 84 Posts

Jukie, what a great idea! I'm going to go try it right now! TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
Genius idea - thanks for sharing. And your doggie card is just adorable!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2017, 02:32 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I use my MISTI for stamping with all of my clear stamps as I can easily re-stamp if it doesn't stamp cleanly the first time. I also use it for silhouette or more solid images as I have NEVER been able to get a truly solid one the first time around. Using my MISTI to stamp the sentiment inside my card - or on the outside - and knowing that if I mess up, I can fix it. I can't tell you the amount of times I would stamp a sentiment crooked, upside-down or just not cleanly and it would frustrate me no end or have me in tears because it would always happen either late at night or at the last minute when I needed to get the card in the post!! Using the MISTI for that purpose alone 'sold' me on it.

I also have alot of pigment inks that are starting to dry out because they are quite old and I can restamp multiple times to get the image darker/clearer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2017, 05:16 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pumpkin_luvView Post
I have the small and large misti, which I don't really use. Why does everyone love theirs so much? and how do you use it?
The mini is too small for me - I too often stamp off the edge. The large would be overkill because I don't SB. The original is just right (thinking porridge).

I'm not suggesting you get a third, but do wonder about size. And if you ever wanted an original, maybe selling the others, or one.

I don't always use the misti. I love acrylic blocks - no set up, multiple stamps on multiple blocks, tiny stamps on 3 or 4 corners of a block for backgrounds, etc.

But I like the misti to get rich, uniform impressions for solid stamps since you can re-stamp, for sentiment placement, and for complicated stamp scenes - you can first stamp on an acrylic piece or grid on top of the card, and when right remove the acrylic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2017, 06:52 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 981 Likes on 477 Posts

All of this plus you don't have to pull out a lot of different sized blocks for stamping. That's not always a big deal, but it helps if you are taking your stamping elsewhere (other room, other house... on a trip). If I didn't already own a lot of blocks, I would think you could just skip buying them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2017, 07:03 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What stops you from using it? What don't you like about it? That's probably a better way to figure out whether you should keep it or not.

I do not, by the way, use mine on every project. I use it when it makes sense to use it. If just grabbing a block will work, I do. So it isn't as if you have to be using it for everything you make for it to serve a purpose in your arsenal.

I have no doubt you could sell either or both easily if you decided they weren't earning their keep. But, again, for me my MISTI earns it's keep even though I don't use it constantly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

Google the MISTI, there are tons and tons of video's out there on how to use it.

You spent a lot of money on these products, if you don't like them, put them up for sale in the buy/sell thread. They will be snatched right up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

If you stamp then colour in, the black lines of the stamp sometimes lose their definition. With the Misti you can over stamp when you're finished colouring. It's also great for two step stamping Much easier to align the second stamp.

Blueprint Christmas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesleybdView Post
If you stamp then colour in, the black lines of the stamp sometimes lose their definition. With the Misti you can over stamp when you're finished colouring. It's also great for two step stamping Much easier to align the second stamp.

Blueprint Christmas
That is one of the best suggestions ever for using the Misti! Thank you.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 12:29 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Received 268 Likes on 113 Posts

When coloring a red rubber stamp with markers, I sometimes miss a spot or don't get good coverage from the markers. Using the MISTI, I can re-color a missed spot and re-stamp accurately. ... The MISTI has made mass producing 100+ Christmas cards a time of joy instead of a hassle. ... I have the MISTI that accommodates a 5-1/2"x8-1/2" piece of cardstock, which is handy when you want to stamp both sides of the inside of a card.

The MISTI is a mental-health saver. You don't really need it, but it sure does make things go more smoothly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 01:43 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Ditto for all of the above. I do not have a Misti but a Precision Press....same thing different name basically.
When I demo' it in my card class 5 women bought one and two bought extras for gifts. I think what Bugga said about not messing up your inside sentiment and that ability alone is worth having one of these gizmos.

Add all the other different things you can do with it......so I too bought a second . Mainly for back up, but then I saw a way to use two at once...... what's a girl to do.lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 05:16 PM   #21  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesleybdView Post

Blueprint Christmas

That is so true, especially if you are sponging on chalk inks.

Reply With Quote Likes