Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-09-2017, 10:00 AM   #41  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When we moved my mom from her 2 story colonial of fifty years to her two bed condo, she never thought she could get rid of it all to downsize. We told her the way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. We tossed, gave away, had a massive garage sale, and moved her in. And guess what? She doesn't miss that house (or the stuff) at all. She still has the memories and experiences, and that's so much better than things.

If you think you might miss a thing, take a photo of it. Just as good, and no clutter.

My MIL was married to a hoarder, and it destroyed their marriage. Sad. He chose stuff over people, and now he lives alone in a nursing home and has neither.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2017, 10:38 AM   #42  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
The Nesting Place blog! She uses the term Cozy Minimalist all the time. ;)

Here's what I don't want to become, though. I don't want to become a "disposablist" that's pretending to be a minimalist. A lot of these bloggers claim to be minimalist, but they never seem content with the stuff they do have, and keep swapping it out for the newest trend. That's a gerbil wheel I really want to get off of. So I'm really careful not to hop on a trend. I do have to think like a home stager, though, which requires me to keep my decor fresh and uncluttered and current.
Yeah, I get how people can be minimalist and still buy a lot of stuff (your term - "disposablist"), but that's not what I want to achieve, either.

I was cleaning out my pantry last night to help a friend with two young children who is struggling to pay her mortgage. She posted in a private group that her choice is food or mortgage. Turns out, her problem is bigger than that (long story that's not relevant here), but cleaning out my pantry made me realize that I grocery shop the same way I used to stamp shop - buy things to have on hand "just in case". I need to stop that, and make a meal plan for each week and only buy what I need for that week. I'm not the kind of person who looks into my pantry to see what I can make, so the canned goods and other non-perishables sit, neglected, for a long time.

Same with my stamps. I have finally stopped buying stamps that might be good for some vague project in the future. If I don't love the set and immediately want to use it for something specific, it doesn't get purchased. I need to figure out how to translate this to cardstock, but I have so much on hand that I shouldn't be buying any cardstock for a long time. I hope I can figure out which colors I love and use most, and only restock those when I run out.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2017, 10:40 AM   #43  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
I am pretty sure I read some where that A Muse was not going to close? ( I have not read the whole thread yet, got side tracked by that stray thought.)
They're still actively posting to Instagram, so I wonder what is going on. I think the biggest mistake they made was going to direct sales and trying to be like SU. I really hope they don't close permanently, but rework their entire business model.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2017, 02:24 PM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
I need to figure out how to translate this to cardstock, but I have so much on hand that I shouldn't be buying any cardstock for a long time. I hope I can figure out which colors I love and use most, and only restock those when I run out.
Maybe take a look through your gallery and/or the stash of cards you have on hand and see if it tells you which colors you gravitate towards...?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #45  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 733 Likes on 355 Posts

It is said that it takes 21 days to break habits. (Not for me-I am an old dog so new tricks take me longer lol)

Maybe people can try not to buy something for 1 month- I think anyone can do that. Sometimes we just get into habits...turn on the computer, surf sales or sites, buy stuff.

If it means you dont look at the sites for a month, so be it. You may not want to look at blogs either if seeing them work with a product is going to make you want to buy it (raising hand) There is nothing you cant catch up on if you really want to with the exception of blog hops with prizes but if you already have too much-you dont those.

If you feel stalled out on ideas...maybe YT stuff like "more things to do with your EFs" or something like that.

My DH definitely inherited the paper hoarding gene from his mom. I am stunned how much crap he keeps! Now that he is retired though....burn baby burn! Out out out!

My advice is do this purging stuff sooner than later. We get slower as we age. It is harder to do, as well as take care of it (dusting)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2017, 06:10 PM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
I'd like to spend less time trying to deal with the stuff, and more time doing what I enjoy. That includes card making, so I just need to find a balance between having enough to allow me to create freely, and not having so much that I can't create at all.
I just found this thread. Sue, this is were I want to be! I'm working on it. It is so freeing to get rid of stuff that I don't love. I haven't found that balance yet, but I don't find myself on the ground side of the teeter-totter as often lately.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2017, 06:35 PM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

Wavejumper, when you get ready to do your Julie and Julia challenge (I loved that book btw) you might want to check out this thread.

USEIT2017 Challenge Group

I haven't posted in the thread but I follow along to see what everyone is creating. Last year some of the participants posted what item or brand they wanted to use each week, some didn't. Most aren't doing that this year, but that's not to say that you couldn't if you participated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2017, 05:28 AM   #48  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Maybe take a look through your gallery and/or the stash of cards you have on hand and see if it tells you which colors you gravitate towards...?
Sue, that's a good idea. I can tell what colors I use by the amount in my scrap drawer. One year it's green and the next it's pink, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 05:31 AM   #49  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

OH Boy..enjoying this thread. After reading it, I am a collector and appreciate antiques (don't have many due to room for them) and have small groupings of treasurers. I too have been thinking into the future and trying to come to grips with what to get rid of before someone else might have to!! My daughter thinks that is a morbid thought, but as she is our only child, I tell her I am thinking of her. She won't have such a big job to do after I am gone. My DH and I both have hobbies that have accumulated lots of crafting tools, supplies and just might need items. Model Railroading for DH which includes a workshop and large room layout. Scrapbooking, card making, mixed media, watercolor painting; all rolled into one small bedroom We have started to purge more. I have started a list of items for a garage sale, donate piles and ask the grand kids if they need piles. I tackle it a little each week, not a big job that way. I usually do this late winter each year so I can focus on gardening. Takes a couple of months overall, slow as it goes. Feels good once it is done...and we move on. It is true that your kids, or grand kids do not want your stuff...so find other places or people that can use it.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 06:07 AM   #50  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It took me years, but I finally figured out the obvious: I tend to try to shop my way out of creative lulls. I've spent a whole lot of money in various states of desperation, hoping it would inspire me to get back to crafting when I've hit a fallow period. And it never, ever works. It just clogs up my studio with supplies I then feel guilty about buying and then not using.

I also figured out that I've spent a lot of money on stuff for coloring images, simply because I thought I'd someday hit on the "magic medium" that would make me into a master colorist. When in truth, I don't like to color very much, I'm more of a designer. I used to think I HAD to like coloring. But there is no "have to" in crafting. Duh.

Those two realizations alone have saved me from buying a whole lot of stuff. But it took a while to see them for what they were.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 02-15-2017 at 06:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 06:16 AM   #51  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

For a short time I, too, thought something was wrong since I wasn't drawn to coloring. Then I smacked myself upside the head a la Gibbs and Tony. (NCIS)

With so many people out there who don't value crafting (because it isn't Art capital A), I don't even use the word "coloring." It brings to mind little kid crafts. I watercolored, applied color, inked, etc. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 06:42 AM   #52  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Sigh, yes, good thread. I have good intentions to work on my craft room, but that was 4 or 5 years ago. Maybe this summer when school is out (where I work). I'm hopeful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 07:41 AM   #53  
Insane Embellisher

my upstairs is pretty clutter free. my craft room is insane. but that "stuff" makes me happy. i am sure i am not a minimalist. zero desire to live in a tiny house, my own house is very moderate by today's standards. i have worked hard my whole life, so i do not want to spend my golden years in the equivalent of a garden shed! now my husband cannot throw out a receipt for a pack of gum. i put them in rubbermaid containers and put them in the basement. about every 4th container goes in the shredder and he is non the wiser. i mean really. all this being said, i have kept ever single one of my kids baby teeth! we all have our vises.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 07:41 AM   #54  
Insane Embellisher

and they are 26 and 30!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 08:25 AM   #55  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am overwhelmed by too much of anything, huge stores, people, craft supplies, and organizing for a yard sale. I did a lot of buying on Ebay etc. Finally last Fall, Good Will got 25 stamp sets and 36 single stamps plus accessories. I started my taxes and since I itemize I was surprised to see there was a craft supply category at all and how much they allowed for certain supplies. $3.00 for stamps, $5.00 for a paper trimmer and $5.00 for a heat tool or gun. Even counting a stamp set as 1 stamp, $3.00 is more than I could have gotten having a yard sale.

I have offered my kids to tell me if there was anything they wanted from my house (besides crafting supplies) but they thought it was too morbid. I think I'm putting in my will that stamps and supplies must be donated to Good Will or a school. I hate to think of them getting trashed, but I guess I won't know one way or the other! ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #56  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Over the years I have purged, purged, and purged, and I'm still purging... My local scrapbook store has an annual garage sale in April and rents out tables for selling products. I made my reservation and I'm filling my box(es).
I'm only keeping what I luv and USE. Keeping like with like in containers or a designated space/spot. When I exceed the space/spot, its time to purge again. Lately, I've been purchasing mediums, dies, and select clear stamp sets that can be used with a variety of themes... and un-mounting wood block stamps so I can store them in the Avery bags to file away. I hope to retire in 3 years so I'm stocking up while I'm working.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #57  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily55View Post
I am overwhelmed by too much of anything, huge stores, people, craft supplies, and organizing for a yard sale. I did a lot of buying on Ebay etc. Finally last Fall, Good Will got 25 stamp sets and 36 single stamps plus accessories. I started my taxes and since I itemize I was surprised to see there was a craft supply category at all and how much they allowed for certain supplies. $3.00 for stamps, $5.00 for a paper trimmer and $5.00 for a heat tool or gun. Even counting a stamp set as 1 stamp, $3.00 is more than I could have gotten having a yard sale.

I have offered my kids to tell me if there was anything they wanted from my house (besides crafting supplies) but they thought it was too morbid. I think I'm putting in my will that stamps and supplies must be donated to Good Will or a school. I hate to think of them getting trashed, but I guess I won't know one way or the other! ;)
I'm thinking that I want my kids to offer up my supplies to my stamping friends. Just invite them over and let them go to town! Any leftovers can go to Goodwill.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 11:49 AM   #58  
Stampin' Fool

I've sold craft items on Craigslist as well. Take a few pics, post and sell.
Just meet in a public place to conduct the transaction.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 11:57 AM   #59  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 312 Likes on 223 Posts

i have enjoyed this thread- i watch that tv show Tiny Homes (or is it houses?) every once in a while and have always thought about my crafting supplies- i would never be able to fit everything into a tiny house! So i am comfortable with my crafting supplies because i think in all the other aspects of my life i am more of a minimalist. I regularly purge closets and drawers, i don't collect anything- i don't like knick knacks and cluttery stuff sitting around. so i think there just has to be a balance as with anything.
nothing is hidden that will not become evident, nor anything secret that will not be known and come to light. Luke 8:17
~Sara~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #60  
Insane Embellisher

i could get by with three tiny homes. one for me, one for my husband and one for my crafts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 03:44 PM   #61  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lori92760View Post
i could get by with three tiny homes. one for me, one for my husband and one for my crafts.
LOL!!! I've watched that show. Where would the kitchen be? Or would there be two?

That would be fun! With little tunnel passageways through the walls linking each one, please, for cats/dogs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #62  
Gallery Gazer

... my mom kept her gall stones in a pill bottle in a drawer in the China cabinet... right beside my baby teeth and locks of hair.

Nope. Not kidding. And nope, not me. Ever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 04:24 PM   #63  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

That's not at all creepy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 04:30 PM   #64  
Gallery Gazer

Right?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 11:04 PM   #65  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Long post but I used to teach this.

There is modern day minimalism. What I like to call the 1940's minimalism of our grandparents age. No offense to any of our beautiful adults who were adults in the 1940's. Today's world is a consumerism world. Today's modern minimalism is about staying away from that world. It takes a lot of work spiritually, emotionally & financially to do this. I am a minimalist. I have been since the 1990's. As I gotten older I realized I liked the age of the 1940's. They had things but they did not have consumerism. For example your grandmother may have collected beautiful fabrics over the years for her beautiful quilts. She didn't have two hundred other items in her life because the latest commercial told her she needed that.

I refuse to be a minimalist in my art, my gardening, literary or music loves. These are my soul and who I am. I do get rid of things all the time that I have learned from and have outgrown because I want to keep growing in my hobbies.

My art studio is set up for making all the beautiful trends on the market. I don't buy the trends I make them. This makes me happy. If you rather buy the trends than make them then this should be the way your studio is set up. The things to make the trends can go and this will be your simplicity and minimalism. If that makes any sense.

I do understand about embracing minimalism in the beginning and trying to figure out the balance. Mine was not craft supplies but music. I had a large music collection and some of it very rare. The digital age came up and I went all digital music and got rid of my physical copies. Luckily I was able to make a lot of money from that. I felt so lost without my precious music. Now, I am buying physical versions again with my digital. I found my balance. Minimalism is a journey but you find your balance and peace with it.

Creative people and minimalism is not a mix. Simplicity and creativity is much better suited for us.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2017, 02:20 AM   #66  
Gallery Gazer

DeeAnn, so beautifully put, thank you. The 1960s and late '50s consumerism of my parents doesn't seem so different from how you describe consumerism of the 40's. While there were more modern conveniences, the big shift to buying more-More-MORE hadn't happened - at least not in my family and their circle.

Like your gardening-literary-music exception, my parents' exception was books and records. If my brother or I wanted one it was purchased, period. Um, except I was on my own for rock records when I was a teenager. There were also weekly library trips.

It wasn't until my 30s that I got over thinking something was missing and odd if someone's livingroom didn't have a wall of book cases. Now our living room does not have book cases; other rooms do.

A few years ago we donated over 1,000 books to our friends of the library group for their annual book sale. Purging was difficult at first - and then not. The books that remained feel more special.

We still have many books, but each earned its place: beloved childhood books, those that would be read more than once, be related to an interest/passion/work, or not lend themselves to being e-books. And I kept a couple series by favorite authors, though if I write the titles down most could go now.

With e-books being much easier on my eyes, instant and taking no space, DTB (dead tree book) buying is rare, though happens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2017, 05:42 AM   #67  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
Well, at a radical level (and this isn't my idea, and while I can't think of the woman who's idea it is, I bet there are those here who can name her): put all your things in a big pile in the center of your space and then begin to sort into three piles: Yes, this definitely brings me joy; No, this definitely does not bring me joy; Undecided, not clear yet. The yes pile you know what to do with. The no pile can go to your favorite charity. The undecided pile you can come back to and it will sort itself out.

On a less radical level, do the same, but in small batches and use a timer (10 min a crack?)

I'm sure there are other folk with great ideas, too, but this is one that's helped me.
Her name is Marie Kondo. For anyone looking for a method to decluttering, her book is "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up." I'm not a purist with her method, but it's helped me organize and get rid of stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2017, 06:03 AM   #68  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily55View Post

Martha, would you mind posting a link to where you found the values for donating craft supplies? I've searched but haven't found the specific prices you mentioned. Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2017, 06:11 AM   #69  
Gallery Gazer

I tried to read/like Kondo. Really. And respecting our belongings resonated. But I hate folding, need to ask more questions than "joy yes/no," and am more of a Peter Walsh kinda gal. I can get him to talk me through some of it after watching/listening to him.

I once took an on-line workshop that was helpful - partly because the owner/instructor and participants were there to support each other on an on-line forum (not Facebook). I don't think (?) the owner posts in the forum now, but community leaders do. Link: Where to start getting organized (I was not good about doing the worksheets consistently or reading everything.)

As I had posted, my timer is set for 5 minutes. Anything more instantly overwhelms me. While it's just a trick, and the vast majority of the time I've stayed longer, 5 minutes using a fun, colorful timer is my jump-start and 5 minutes = success.

Last edited by bjeans; 02-16-2017 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: Clarification (sorry!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2017, 06:54 AM   #70  
Glitter Guru

I think part of organizing is deciding how organized you actually need to be. That goes for any aspect of life, but if we are talking about crafting, I often am struck by the fact that some people seem to spend so very much time organizing/catalogueing every single thing they own. I think that if this level of organizing helps your creative process, then it's worth doing. Otherwise, its counterproductive.

For me, with the size of my stash, a system like Evernote would be overkill, although I understand that for others, with far more to keep track of, it is an indispensible tool. Breaking up my stamp sets and arranging the panels by category turns out to be all the organizing I need. I have my paper hanging in folders by color, but not organized by spectrum or manufacturer. I suppose I could do this pretty quickly if I wanted to, but I don't have so much paper that I can't find what I want when I want it. What I did spend time on was making a sample ring of all my cardstock colors (I'm very consistent in what colors I keep in). That took some time, but now I can stand at my desk and hold the samples up against each other and make choices really easily. I'd do the same with my ribbon, for example, but I own so little ribbon that knowing it's all in one drawer is sufficient for me. I can open the drawer and look and that's fine.

I think it's important to organize and purge to your own personal level. In crafting as in everything else. And it's easy to feel like you really must be more organized, because I think we've come to believe that being someone who is very organized somehow makes you "better" than being someone who isn't. Regardless of whether being really, really organized serves your process or just eats up your time with no big payoff.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 02-16-2017 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2017, 07:14 AM   #71  
Gallery Gazer

So well put, Rachel. Whatever floats our boats, and we have all different types of boats and water.

I learned I had to let go of organizing all the way all the time. For example, my stamps need to be organized a la Jennifer McGuire, or close to it. But my dies have far fewer categories, don't need dividers (though I might make them), and instead of labeling them, identification is snipped off the package and tucked in the pocket behind the card stock.

I was putting off organizing new dies until I figured out what I needed versus what I told myself I should do. And that would be too much organizing for some people, and they'd be right too.

OT Now I'm off to get my Oxide Distress inks from an LSS! 40% off and another 10% if you bring your own bag, plus the owner gave us a $10 gift certificate at the end of the 2016. I think I'll feel too guilty to use that though, so will hold onto it. Get inky, everyone. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2017, 07:18 AM   #72  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie718View Post
Her name is Marie Kondo. For anyone looking for a method to decluttering, her book is "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up." I'm not a purist with her method, but it's helped me organize and get rid of stuff.
I've "Kondo'ed" my entire house, just started on my craft/stamping room. I absolutely love the results, because I literally have nothing in my home that doesn't "spark joy" for me (her standard). It makes me really happy.

I have more craft stuff than anything, so instead of doing it all at once, I've broken it down into categories so that each batch doesn't take so much time. I really have a ton of stamps, so instead of going through the category "stamps", I am going through them by sub-category or type (backgrounds, tree stamps, holidays, etc). It's been really fun because I have so much stuff I forgot I had And I am letting go of things I got when I first started and didn't know yet what I liked. I'm in no rush so I work on it when I want and go slowly and patiently, and love the airing out and choosing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2017, 09:00 AM   #73  
Glitter Guru

2Tibetans, I have to say I LOVE seeing your two TTs. My Beloved Joshu passed away five years ago, and he was the most wonderful, funny, intelligent companion ever! I still miss him and will force people to listen to me tell them stories about his hijinks.

Not too many people know about TTs. Maybe that's good, because the breed has kept its integrity. So nice to see yours!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2017, 09:25 AM   #74  
Stampin' Fool

When I started stamping/scrapbooking 20 years ago, my friends and I attended all the conventions that came to our area, as well as conventions in Vegas and Oregon. We would be so excited about all the products, make n takes, and classes... we shopped and shopped and shopped, we simply lost our minds! We had to have that, couldn't do without that, needed that tool, more paper 10 sheets for $1, bling, markers, glitter, embossing powder in every color and so on... NEVER again. Over the years I let a lot of those items go. I didn't use them, didn't need them, didn't like them, and why did I buy that and what in the hell was I thinking?
I still attend conventions twice a year. Like grocery shopping I have a shopping list for specific products that I USE. As for new products, I'll do make n takes to try the products and leave it at that. If a product has left an impression on me (days after the show) I'll go online seek out video tutorials, seek it out in art supplies, as well as in craft supplies to compare prices before I purchase it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2017, 10:07 AM   #75  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
2Tibetans, I have to say I LOVE seeing your two TTs. My Beloved Joshu passed away five years ago, and he was the most wonderful, funny, intelligent companion ever! I still miss him and will force people to listen to me tell them stories about his hijinks.

Not too many people know about TTs. Maybe that's good, because the breed has kept its integrity. So nice to see yours!!!!

Rachelrose, my Tibetan on the left in that photo was named Joey. His sister on the right is Emma. I lost Joey 2 years ago and Emma 5 months ago (at 12 and 15). Someday if/when I recover any, I'll get another Tibetan. I adored (adore) mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #76  
Crimping Master

As I grow older I am thinking about how to make it easy for my one son to deal with what's left. I am going to ask him to make a list. An older friend of mine had a good plan. She had beautiful antiques, furniture, etc. She had four children so she asked each one to pick several rooms of her large house and that would be what they would inherit. She asked them to do their trade outs with each other and get back to her with a specific list. She put it as an attachment to her will. She wanted to make sure they all got along well after she was gone. What wasn't in the list was marked for charity. If you have a lot of stuff and more than one kid I think this is important. I've seen families torn apart over stuff. My family was bitter to the end about the other side of the family getting a sister's and the mother's items. Not worth it. Collect as you like but plan. I'm leaving all my craft stuff to one younger person who says she wants it. She can trash it or love it. That's one less thing for my son to deal with. I also have an adoptive person and money set aside for any dog we might have so it doesn't end up in a shelter. If I go first I want my husband to have an easier time of dealing with all this and not have to deal with additional burdens. It was very painful for him to have to through boxes and boxes of rubber bands, restaurant paper napkins and barrels of ketchup packages from his depression era parents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #77  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I think part of organizing is deciding how organized you actually need to be. That goes for any aspect of life, but if we are talking about crafting, I often am struck by the fact that some people seem to spend so very much time organizing/catalogueing every single thing they own. I think that if this level of organizing helps your creative process, then it's worth doing. Otherwise, its counterproductive.

For me, with the size of my stash, a system like Evernote would be overkill, although I understand that for others, with far more to keep track of, it is an indispensible tool. Breaking up my stamp sets and arranging the panels by category turns out to be all the organizing I need. I have my paper hanging in folders by color, but not organized by spectrum or manufacturer. I suppose I could do this pretty quickly if I wanted to, but I don't have so much paper that I can't find what I want when I want it. What I did spend time on was making a sample ring of all my cardstock colors (I'm very consistent in what colors I keep in). That took some time, but now I can stand at my desk and hold the samples up against each other and make choices really easily. I'd do the same with my ribbon, for example, but I own so little ribbon that knowing it's all in one drawer is sufficient for me. I can open the drawer and look and that's fine.

I think it's important to organize and purge to your own personal level. In crafting as in everything else. And it's easy to feel like you really must be more organized, because I think we've come to believe that being someone who is very organized somehow makes you "better" than being someone who isn't. Regardless of whether being really, really organized serves your process or just eats up your time with no big payoff.
This. I just watched a video that Bohodiva linked up in this forum about organizing tips, and just looking at the room the person was sitting in made me twitchy, because she is one who has to SEE all of her stuff. I CANNOT have everything visible or I'll just turn around and walk right back out of the room. "Visual clutter" - as in too many things to look at at once - puts my brain on lockdown and NOTHING will happen that is productive in any way, creative or otherwise. We all have our levels of comfort with clutter or disarray or Spartan or minimalist or somewhere/anywhere in between. "Better" or "worse" is SO subjective as to be completely useless. DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU IN YOUR SPACE!!! The water in the stream goes around the rocks in all kinds of ways, but all of it ends up in the ocean eventually - find your own "flow". Lessons in crafting/lessons in life... ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #78  
Crimping Master

I look at my possessions in different ways in different stages of life. I wold love to have all my stuff behind closed drawers and doors and I've made that happen to some extent. Unfortunately completely converting a shared home office from a table, a few shelves and four file drawers to a Jennifer McGuire environment would be a massive expense. For some it depends on whether we can just close the door on it or we are sharing a space. Consideration for the rest of the family is my goal as well as getting rid of what I don't use. For me stuff everywhere is not an environment conducive to creating but I have friends who are just the opposite. The middle way works for my situation. Love these threads. I'm spending the day dumping a lot of wood.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2017, 11:39 AM   #79  
Stampin' Fool

I use this technique to purge supplies...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2017, 12:25 PM   #80  
Crimping Master

Liked it-curate, fulfilled their purpose, all makes sense and makes it easier to purge. It also made me feel ahead of the game because all my punches are gone except circles and squares. Embellishments gone too except sequins and dots. Still struggling with the wood. It's so arty. Brave to put it all out like that. Would I buy this right now is a really good question but still hard. I need a nap.
Reply With Quote Likes