Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-09-2006, 10:10 PM   #41  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps&cars
One thing I read was that if you have mixed metals in your mouth that it leaches the mercury faster. Don't know if that is true or not.
Yep, by mixed metals, they mean amalgam (the silver-coloured fillings -- they are made from a mixture of metals, hence the name amalgam). Not sure if you took that to mean different types of restorations or not . . . presence of gold, porcelain or plastic restorations wouldn't have any influence on the behaviour of the mecury in the amalgam fillings (though I'm not sure if this is what you mean mixed metals).

By the way, for what it's worth, the theory that mecury leaches out of fillings and causes health problems hasn't been scientifically proven yet, is unsupported by emperical data and is not supported by the ADA and CDA (US & Canadian Dental Associations). Still, some people are convinced otherwise.

Good luck in finding the root of your problem.

View My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2006, 08:36 AM   #42  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by CowgirlCreations
"One" of my doctors wanted to test my mercury levels because of my mysterious, seemingly unrelenting migraines and fibromyalgia like symptoms...but since my insurance wouldn't cover the test...I couldn't foot the bill. He made it sound kinda iffy and the test alone was going to be about $600. I'll be checking back.
You could check with your county health department to see if they do a mercury test. I know our county health dept tests lead for free. Are you around mercury at work? If so, you might be able to have the company provide/pay for the test. If you think you are just exposed to mercury through your fillings, you may find a harder time. I would guess that most adults over the age of 35 or 40 have a mouth full of fillings. Therefore, the health department may not test you. Have you checked with your dentist? Would it be cheaper to replace those fillings (not with my insurance!!!).
Good luck,
Not quite creative
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2006, 03:32 PM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

stamps&cars, I haven't used my EP since your post, which I VERY much appreciated, but the waiting is killing me! Has the lab guy come back to work yet? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2006, 03:42 PM   #44  
Duchess of Dork

Thimerasol is also in prescription eyedrops and used to be in contact lens solution & OTC eye drops. Many people believe there are links to autism & mercury, though this is not an accepted thought by most MD's. Because I have a mildly autistic child I am concerned about mercury, too, and am interested in finding out what the lab says. I would love to have my fillings replaced.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2006, 09:52 PM   #45  
Gallery Gazer

Okay......the results are in! Sorry I didn't get back earlier today. We were at the funeral of my Step Sister's husband who dies unexpectedly.

We are all safe as the lab says there in nothing in the EP in the way of mercury! YAY!!! I AM excited that I don't have to wear some funky mask to use them BUT I am still wondering why my levels are high. My water sample comes back on Thursday. If the water comes back okay then I can only assume that it is my fillings. We have a number of mercury free dentists in the area who are trained how to take the old ones out without danger to you.

Nickelini........what I was referring to earlier about mixed metals in your mouth was something I had found on several websites. Here is what they said and what I was referring to.

If a gold crown is anywhere in the mouth, mercury comes off faster. According to university studies done by Dr. Chew, over the first two years after placement, amalgams release about 34 micrograms per filling (per square centimeter of filling exposed) per day. These tests were done on fillings sitting in pure water and tested daily.

There are many things that make mercury come out faster. As just mentioned, any other metals such as gold crowns, nickel crowns and removable bridges will increase the speed of release.

We can all rest assured now that we are safe with our EP!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 02:14 AM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

stamps&cars, I'm so sorry to hear about your step-sister's husband! Thanks for the update. It sounds like you have an awful lot on your plate right now! Hang in there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 09:40 AM   #47  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55
stamps&cars, I'm so sorry to hear about your step-sister's husband! Thanks for the update. It sounds like you have an awful lot on your plate right now! Hang in there.
Thanks for the thoughts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 02:31 PM   #48  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

If a gold crown is anywhere in the mouth, mercury comes off faster. According to university studies done by Dr. Chew, over the first two years after placement, amalgams release about 34 micrograms per filling (per square centimeter of filling exposed) per day. These tests were done on fillings sitting in pure water and tested daily.

There are many things that make mercury come out faster. As just mentioned, any other metals such as gold crowns, nickel crowns and removable bridges will increase the speed of release.

We can all rest assured now that we are safe with our EP!!
Hmmm. Who is Dr. Chew? What kind of doctor is he? Who supported his research? Is he connected to a university? Has his study been peer reviewed? Where was his study published? Does the ADA support this study? Does he say how gold crowns cause mecury to leach? Admittedly, I've been out of the dental field for over a year, but studies on this have been on going for decades, and last I heard, no one had found anything. Of course, there are always new discoveries. But I would proceed with caution before believing any one study (on any health-related topic). The downside of replacing amalgam fillings unnecessarily is huge . . . in terms of pain, inconvenience, additional unplanned dental work, and run away dental bills. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

View My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 03:06 PM   #49  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickelini
Hmmm. Who is Dr. Chew? What kind of doctor is he? Who supported his research? Is he connected to a university? Has his study been peer reviewed? Where was his study published? Does the ADA support this study? Does he say how gold crowns cause mecury to leach?
These are good thoughts. I guess I'm just trying to understand why my levels are going up when I can't seem to find a cause. Hmmmmmm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 06:08 PM   #50  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ann,

Your symptoms could also be Lyme Disease. I've just completed treatment (natural, NOT antibiotic) for Lyme and had brain fog, fatique, aches, crazy body temperature shifts, funny reactions to taste and smells, buzzing in the ears, etc. I was already using natural compounded hormones, so knew that wasn't the problem.

I had my metal fillings removed as that hastens healing from Lyme or lets the treatment protocols work more effectively. YES, had metal leaching from my fillings.... documented mercury, silver, arsenic, etc levels in my system. most have been eliminated with detox.

and I work with kids with autism and have seen hundreds of cases where they were fine and then had shots (w/ thimerisal) with subsequent onset of symptoms of autism. The AMA, etc... well I could go on for pages about the crap that goes on and information that does not get out. Trust what your body tells you and find someone who can help you detox. You can't really detox the metals until you get rid of the metal fillings. Then, you can take one of several supplements that help detox your system. also, get rid of teflon coated pans, that leach chemicals.

I could go on and on, but gotta go to bed.

Take care all.

Jackie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 10:32 PM   #51  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

These are good thoughts. I guess I'm just trying to understand why my levels are going up when I can't seem to find a cause. Hmmmmmm.
Absolutely. I hear you. There are lots of resources out there (internet, public and university libraries -- both open to everyone*), so you can check out any information that you come across. Having working in the dental field, and in health insurance, and then extensively in health information communications, there are lots of people out there claiming lots of different things. Before making important decisions, one must really research whatever one can. Just because "60 Minutes" reports something doesn't make it a fact. Your best-informed decision is the best decision you can make.

I'm pulling for you, and hope that you can get to the bottom of it.

Good thing it's not embossing powder, huh? In the meantime, stamp on.

PS * Librarians are there to help. If you want to research something, just approach one and say "I've tried ___ and ___, but I'm stuck and I need all the information I can find on __________". If you're looking for something really technical, go to a university library. Even if you're not connected the university, they'll help you all the same. It's their business.

View My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 11:11 PM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Check their sources

Quote:

If a gold crown is anywhere in the mouth, mercury comes off faster. According to.......
I wanted to back up what Nickelini has said. Just because you see it in print, or on TV or on the internet, does no mean it is true. Anyone can claim to be a doctor; can gather lots of "information" from various unreliable sources; and then can call his work "research."
It is best to make sure any online health information is coming from one of our major medical universities.
Praying for a return to good health.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 11:56 PM   #53  
Gallery Gazer

Thanks to all of you for your support and suggestions. I should have my water results tomorrow.....hopefully........and I'll go from there. If it is negative then I have to go to the filling replacements. At least there are about 6 + dentists in the Portland area that are schooled in removing the metal fillings properly. Unfortunately, we opted for no dental insurance because the list of dentists is so small and they pay so little on out of area dentists that it was more expensive to have the insurance than not. I have my next appointment in three weeks for my metal doctor to see what my last test shows. I'll have to ask him about the Lyme disease too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2006, 02:16 AM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hang in there Ann!
Reply With Quote Likes