Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-14-2005, 09:56 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Memories magnetic stamp sets

Has anyone tried these? They are on sale this week for $9.99 (reg. 14.99) at Mike's. I went to check them out because in the past I had only seen a date stamp available. This time I found the date set, an alphabet set, and a set of 42 words that is along the lines of Everyday Flexible Phrases. I have been wanting EFP but have been holding off because of the cost. The main reason I wanted it was not for making phrases but for individual words like Hope, Dream, Live, etc. The magnetic word set has all of these and uses a variety of fonts. I went ahead and picked up the word set and a set of magnets w/handle.

I am just wondering if I am going to regret this purchase. Has anyone else tried the magnetic sets? If so, what is your opinion?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2005, 10:36 AM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

I got the magnetic alphabet from my DH as a gift (so cute, he picked it out all by himself) and I honestly could do without it. It's not totally awful but it is more work than it is worth. I can't seem to get things lined up well, they move when I try to ink them, and I had about 3 attempts before getting the phrase I was trying to spell correct because I had words and letters backwards. You have to mentally think about how to position things so you don't spell the words backwards, which I did more than once. Very annoying. Maybe I need to work with them more. I haven't totally given up yet but I would be interested to know if anyone else has had luck with these. Cool concept, but I'm not sure if they are worth the hassle. Good luck with yours!

Tara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2005, 10:44 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loved them. . . in theory. They do wobble. And they are not closely mounted, so you get an edge if you're not careful.

If and when I use them, I just stamp them by holding the magnet part without the handle. That's the only way I could get them to stamp cleanly without trimming them all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2005, 10:46 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I have the alphabets and can't stand them. They are a huge pain to keep organized and you can't really get a straight line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2005, 10:48 AM   #5  
LL
Rubber Obsessor

Default magnetic alphabets

Was soooo disappointed! Expected to love them but....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2005, 10:57 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Default magnetic

I agree with the other posts, hard to align and leave a mark. I very seldom use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2005, 11:09 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Default Re: Memories magnetic stamp sets

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwingleMom

I am just wondering if I am going to regret this purchase. Has anyone else tried the magnetic sets? If so, what is your opinion?
I guess I'm the odd ball here....lol I have the "Express It" set and I don't have any problems with them. I only stamp one word at a time and I've never tried a phrase, so I'm not sure how easy they line up for that. You do have to take your time and watch what you're doing, but I do for anything that I stamp

All I can say is try it and see IF you like it!! When you do, let us know!
Audrey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2005, 11:37 AM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have the expressions and the Rummage alphabet. I find the alphbet very difficult to work with but do love the expressions. One suggestion I got from my local stamp store was to stick the word you want to use on an Altoids tin. This would be a lot cheaper than buying the handle and may be easier to use. I do love the expressions though and would consider buying and Expressions2 if they came out with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2005, 11:37 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

What I don't like is that the letters are not even on the magnets, so lining them up to make one straight word from the alphabets is frustrating.
Some of the fonts are nice, but I wish i hadn't bought them -- there are better options out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2005, 11:58 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the alphabet I have, but it works a LOT better if you use a little double-stick tape (Scotch Poster tape - my favorite) and an acrylic block than using the magnetic mounts & handles. The mounts don't even have enough room to spell out "Congratulations". But for $9.99 for the alphabet with multiples of each letter, and the letters are just the perfect size - can't beat it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2005, 12:40 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you everyone for your responses. As Audrey said, I guess I will just have to give it a go and see if it works for me. It is nice to hear that a couple of people like the "Express It" set. That is the set that I bought.

Hopefully, I will get the time to play with my new toy soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2005, 12:55 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Okay, so I'm an oddball here too. I like my set. I have the rummage alphabet set. It definately takes patience. I agree with Jenn I don't put the handle on it-it rolls too much that way and you do get edges. I have found using it with the Craft pads works well. Because of the "juiciness" of the craft pads you just tap it on there and then you get less on the edges. Sometimes I'll use a q-tip to wipe off the edges if I'm afraid it'll be a problem.

I just recently got my set so I'm still playing with it, but the more I've played with it I've really enjoyed it. I'm the same as you-I was interested in Everyday Flexible Phrases but I just can't see paying all that money when I know I won't use all the words as well as I would go crazy mounting it! So now I have the ability to make words or phrases that I want to use.

As for organization I have my letters in alphabetical order in the container. You have to make sure that you get your b, d, p and q figured out. I have the capital and punctuation on one side and the lower case on the other. By keeping them in order it's quick to get words set up. Then you don't have to think about it.

Hope this helps! Good luck making the decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2005, 01:26 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I am in the minority - I love my MM magnetic sets. I have 2 alphas, the ornaments and the expressions. I'd agree that they don't line up perfectly, but sometimes I like that.

Two tips:
1. To avoid spelling a word wrong, hold it up to a mirror before you stamp. I keep a little hand mirror at my desk.
2. Use a corner of a wipe or a qtip to wipe the excess ink off the flat rubber part of the stamp.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2005, 01:33 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Default magnetic stamps

I had a hard time at first when I used these stamps, it's different than using a nice wood mount- it seemed to roll or slip. But now I love them! I have 3 sets and the thing I like most is the ability to quickly create a customized name or greeting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2005, 01:49 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Close to My Heart has an awesome 101 piece set named "Calendar" for $13.95 on pg. 106 in their current catalog. It has the months spelled out in all upper and lower case and the abbreviations for the months. It also has numbers and dates from 1980-2010. Also the words spring, fall, summer, winter, birthday, Thanksgiving, New Year's, Easter, Christmas and Valentines.

I love mine for my scrapbook pages. But sorry I haven't tried the Making Memories one yet.

Debra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2005, 02:33 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

I have 4 different sets of the MM stamps and I LOVE them! I agree that they do require a little effort, but the results are well worth it in my opinion

I prefere to just stamp 1 letter at a time -- I like to control the spacing and alignment. I think they're worth every penny and a real bargain for $9.99 -- go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes