Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-02-2015, 10:58 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Matting the card top

I just ordered the rulers that help with the consistent matting around my focal point. I'm excited to get those rulers so I can do more layering.

Is there a tool on the market that helps with figuring out the widths of each layer I add? I've got a tool ordered that will consistently provide what ever edge I tell it to, but it won't tell me that I could do 3 frames at 2/16 around my stamp work to evenly fill up the 1/2 inch space to the edge of the card.

Isn't there software that does this for us? Do we have to to the math? I can't believe we don't have this somewhere.

Anyone have any tips and tricks on layer evenly to the edge?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 03:43 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned this tool for years, particularly when I did more scrapbooking. Very handy when you want to mat something on a card that's of an unusual shape:

Magic Matter 3pc Set | Jo-Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 04:42 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,129 Likes on 508 Posts

Is this the tool set you got? More info in this thread too:

Perfect Layers Mini by gregzgurl at Splitcoaststampers
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 07:32 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 737 Likes on 358 Posts

I am confused. (easily done)

You cant just lay a ruler from the edge of the layer/object and see how many 1/8 (whatever) you have to the edge of the card? No math-just looking right? Like...I have 6 eighths left to play with if I want to.

I dont know if this will make sense but you could make your own reference card. Pick a common core size you would use, and just do 1/8s out from it to the edge on two sides. Then forever you can pop a piece on there and know right away. If you color the bands either in different colors or just alternate color/no color it would be easier to read. Maybe that's overthinking it. I do that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 08:28 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have Perfect Layers and use them constantly. I love being able to do 1/16 inch mats especially. But it sounds like you want to create layers all the way out to the edge of your card. In which case perhaps you want to look at Spellbinders A2 Matting Basics, Sets A and B. I have both, and use those constantly as well. The Nesties will only give you a 1/8 border as a minimum (and only if you combine the two sets) but they are designed to work perfectly with an A2 card.

Here's link to the A set on Amazon. Scroll down to the "Frequently Bought Together" section and you'll see the B set.

http://www.amazon.com/Spellbinders-S.../dp/B008E4CNEU

I don't know if this will help you get where you want to go, but thought I'd mention it.

For myself, I'm with Wavejumper. I just eyeball everything. But then I'm not likely to want to layer all the way out the the edge, my style is less formal and more eclectic/collagey. Or something like that. ;)

Last edited by Rachelrose; 11-03-2015 at 08:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 10:13 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
Is this the tool set you got? More info in this thread too:

Perfect Layers Mini by gregzgurl at Splitcoaststampers
Yup. This thread is what prompted me to buy it. I didn't know I had a need till I read this thread. :rolleyes: I've usually eyeballed my framing - but then I wasn't doing a lot of framing either. Now I do more framing and am starting to use my Spellbinder dies a lot more, so layering really makes them pop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

I don't make A2 cards. I make 6.5x5.

But now that you mention it, I can see why those nestibility A2 sets are so popular now... instant, even matting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I am confused. (easily done)

You cant just lay a ruler from the edge of the layer/object and see how many 1/8 (whatever) you have to the edge of the card? No math-just looking right? Like...I have 6 eighths left to play with if I want to.
Alright Wavejumper... I thought we were friends... When you put it like this, yes it does sound simple enough.

I was hoping that there was software that did this:
card: 6x6"
center panel: 5.5x5.5"
I have 1/2 inch on all sides to mat, and I want 3 mats.
Input measurements above, software shows you the color bands of mating solutions, and I can change the width of certain mat layers and the software shows how this will look around the center panel. I can play with the mating, change the number of mats from 3 to 1, tell the software to make all mat layers uniform in size, and each change is applied and shown to me on the screen. When I pick what looks visually pleasing to me, software tells me what measurements to use for each layer.

When I'm doing this myself, I'm flipping through tons of card stock, selecting dies, watching a movie and trying to keep track of plot twists, looking for tool I know for certain I own but for the life of me can't find now (but saw it just 2 days ago!), telling the dog to move, shooing the cats off my table, looking for my glasses ... I don't want to have to figure this out. I want technology to do all my thinking for me (OK, this is sad ;)).

I'm so surprised something like this software doesn't already exist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 04:58 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

:shock:

I did all the math for you (and I dont love math) but then read you wanted a program...so I dumped that and found this:

The Best Greeting Card Software of 2015 | Top Ten Reviews

There is a lot of it out there if you google and some says free.

Being a KISS person and prehistoric technologically, I have ZERO idea how to help you evaluate it though sorry.

What about photo programs if we are only talking about +/- a mat? Like photoshop? Does that allow you to mat the image? I dont use it. If it does, you might be able to take a pic of the core and then play with it in the computer?

Three mats? Not including the card base? So you would have 4 layer looks in the 1/2 inch? You dont want them equidistant if you are talking about 1/16th for layers or even mixing with 1/8th.

Here is an idea:
Make some masters. One with 3 x 1/16th mats, one with 1/8ths, one with a combo using your 5 1/2 core. (maybe with the 1/8th in the middle) Cut the layers, stick them together. Then you can just pop your core over those-you are only pulling three tests instead of juggling many layers. Does that make sense?

BTW-if you do have any interest in the card basics layers sets-spellbinders is doing a BOGO that ends at midnight tonight, they list at 25/ea so you would get both A & B sets for 25. (plus shipping) and they have 6 x 6 squares. But as noted, those are 1/8th increments, not 1/16th. You need the code word-it's in the banner on their site. Just swipe to the side.

Better now?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 05:04 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You made me curious, so I poked around online. There are lots of programs for calculating mats for framing pictures, all of them expensive. Not what you need.

But I saw nothing for crafters. Maybe it's a niche waiting to be filled. Like the MISTI. ;)

Would any of the e-cutters have this capability? I know the Scan N Cut doesn't, because I have one. I use it for fussy cutting mostly. It will cut out any size shape I want, but I have to tell it what I want the dimensions to be.

I guess if it were me, I would just resign myself to sitting down and figuring out measurements for different configurations of mats you use often, and putting them on index cards. Or on tags on a ring. There are probably only so many iterations that you use, and not having to figure it out every time would be a time saver.

Too bad Spellbinders doesn't make Matting Basics for cards other then A2s. I can't tell you how handy they are.

Updated: Oh, I posted and saw that Wavejumper was just ahead of me� So Spellbinders has 6X6's? I did not know and will have to check it out.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 11-03-2015 at 05:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 05:37 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
I don't make A2 cards. I make 6.5x5.

But now that you mention it, I can see why those nestibility A2 sets are so popular now... instant, even matting.
I have matting basics a&b so its easy for me. I also use the magic matter a friend got me but then you have cut those. You just put a pencil point in the hole of whichever size you need a go around the piece you want to mat.
Magic Matter 3pc Set | Jo-Ann

Just read the posts all again and I see 9or18holes already suggested and posted this link! Sorry for missing that first time around!

Last edited by muscrat; 11-04-2015 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: Adding a note
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 05:50 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

Quote:

BTW-if you do have any interest in the card basics layers sets-spellbinders is doing a BOGO that ends at midnight tonight, they list at 25/ea so you would get both A & B sets for 25. (plus shipping) and they have 6 x 6 squares. But as noted, those are 1/8th increments, not 1/16th. You need the code word-it's in the banner on their site. Just swipe to the side.

Better now?
You did great!

I am at Spellbinder site now, and don't see the code in the banner or near the logo, at the cart page... I can't find the code. When I look at the terms of promo, it says "the code is provided". Can you tell me the code you see on your banner?

Found it. My screen doesn't show what is on the right side so it finally scrolled over to that item. Thanks for mentioning this. I see they have 5x7 nestis also.

Last edited by Janet1000; 11-03-2015 at 06:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 05:59 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

The code is NESTBOGO

Ok I am in the site too. That wide thing with the bit about new product...you drag it to the right two sections and you see the nestabilities bogo sale and click the shop now round button in the lower right side.

Let me know if you found it.

Matting basics are for A2, A7 and 6 x 6. I am broken hearted because when they first released they also had A6 (4.50 x 6.25) but those disappeared almost immediately. I wish I had gotten them but they were expensive at 50 per pair, so I was waiting for discounts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 06:03 PM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

We're in the same site right?

https://www.spellbinderspaperarts.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

Quote:

The code is NESTBOGO

Ok I am in the site too. That wide thing with the bit about new product...you drag it to the right two sections and you see the nestabilities bogo sale and click the shop now round button in the lower right side.

Let me know if you found it.

Matting basics are for A2, A7 and 6 x 6. I am broken hearted because when they first released they also had A6 (4.50 x 6.25) but those disappeared almost immediately. I wish I had gotten them but they were expensive at 50 per pair, so I was waiting for discounts.
I did the sale. And I would have loved the A6 frames also. That would have been perfect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 09:07 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Wow, $50 a pair for A6 - I would have had to really think that one over also. But I've never seen them anywhere else either. I didn't know they existed till you mentioned them.

I did enough damage. I deleted from my list over and over, narrowing it down to what I truly needed (I say 'needed' like I would not be able to breathe:rolleyes and still paid over $150. Merry Christmas to me! I have enough dies to last me a life time now.

Thank you for telling me about the sale. The prices were better then my best shopping site.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2015, 05:59 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I don't understand the issue, but I jotted down the layering measurements in 1/4" increments based on my preferred 5 x 6.5" card base. It's pinned to my wall for easy (and frequent) reference. For example: Layer 1 - 4.75 x 6.25; Layer 2 - 4.5 x 6, etc. I have also made a variety of templates so I can get an idea of what the finished card will look like. I only had to the math one time . Does this help?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2015, 06:06 AM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

LOL. I am glad it worked out. Well, all the sizes are 50/pair list (A & B) if you not doing a BOGO or some kind of big sale. The BOGOs are about as good as it gets at Scrapmart which is my go to for cheaper SB.

The A-6 was like lightning...around a few months and then just GONE from the face of the planet. I know what I saw, because I did repeatedly, and it was in my wishlist and I was debating if it would be my second set before the A7 for weeks as is my way.....

I spent about 60 myself. But I did backfill a missing basics shape-ovals I was missing, got a couple of 5 x 7 decorative frame things for layers which I didnt have etc. I've been looking enviously at the cards with the pretty die cut layer close the edge all around with a core element in the middle-I didnt have any of those. So now I have a few. So many pretty ones but till I see how well I work with this kind of layering, I wait. I am trying to be more of a toe dipper instead of cannonballing in. Trying being the operative word there. They seem to do BOGOs often of something or other.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2015, 06:22 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 255 Likes on 138 Posts

Wow, I didn't know this was such a problem for stampers. I'n not a math person, but it is pretty easy even for me. If I know how much smaller, or larger I want a panel to be (i.e. have a 3 3/4" x 2 7/8" panel and I want 1/8" to stick out on all sides, I just double that and use my paper cutter, so I get nice even mats. So that would be 2 times 1/8" = 1/4" + 3 3/4" = 4" and 1/4" + 2 7/8" = 3 1/8" However, sometimes my brain can't wrap itself around it so I lay my piece on a ruler that has 1/16" gradient marks and measure that way. My paper cutter doesn't have 1/16" or 1/8" marks, so I added a tape measure that does. The edges are always nice and even. It may not be the exact measurement, but I don't always want them all the layers to be the same, as I think varying mats look better in many cases. They are always straight and if I want to cut a bit more off one edge or another, I can do that with my guillotine cutter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2015, 06:45 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
Alright Wavejumper... I thought we were friends... When you put it like this, yes it does sound simple enough.

I was hoping that there was software that did this:
card: 6x6"
center panel: 5.5x5.5"
I have 1/2 inch on all sides to mat, and I want 3 mats.
Input measurements above, software shows you the color bands of mating solutions, and I can change the width of certain mat layers and the software shows how this will look around the center panel. I can play with the mating, change the number of mats from 3 to 1, tell the software to make all mat layers uniform in size, and each change is applied and shown to me on the screen. When I pick what looks visually pleasing to me, software tells me what measurements to use for each layer.

When I'm doing this myself, I'm flipping through tons of card stock, selecting dies, watching a movie and trying to keep track of plot twists, looking for tool I know for certain I own but for the life of me can't find now (but saw it just 2 days ago!), telling the dog to move, shooing the cats off my table, looking for my glasses ... I don't want to have to figure this out. I want technology to do all my thinking for me (OK, this is sad ;)).

I'm so surprised something like this software doesn't already exist.
It does it is part of the Silhouette Cameo/Portrait software. You can make squares or rectangles any size and nest them. Cut them out. Save the design and use it over and over or make new sizes. Works for circles and ovals or any shape. Quit spending money on dies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I do layers on the Cricut Explore. You can duplicate any shape and add or subtract each layer size in edit to get as many layers as you like in Design Space. You save the project and use over and over. I haven't used all of my expensive dies for months.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2015, 03:29 PM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Wow, I didn't know this was such a problem for stampers. I'm not a math person, but it is pretty easy even for me.
Every time I read that stampers have a problem with figuring out layers I scratch my head and wonder why - but then I have other challenges with things that other people can do easily.

Maybe it's because some have never learned how to read a ruler. I know that sounds kind of simplistic but if you don't sew or work with wood or other areas where you need to know exact measurement, then when would you use a ruler?

this link explains how to read a ruler - maybe it will help because it's not hard, doesn't really require "math" :p
How to Read a Ruler: 10 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2015, 03:39 PM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

I know how to read a ruler. It just takes me a second. I used to say it is 5 and two little tick marks! LOL I know it is sectioned in 16ths, 8ths, fourths (quarters) halves...but I've learned a lot of that since I began card making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 255 Likes on 138 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Every time I read that stampers have a problem with figuring out layers I scratch my head and wonder why - but then I have other challenges with things that other people can do easily.

Maybe it's because some have never learned how to read a ruler. I know that sounds kind of simplistic but if you don't sew or work with wood or other areas where you need to know exact measurement, then when would you use a ruler?

this link explains how to read a ruler - maybe it will help because it's not hard, doesn't really require "math" :p
How to Read a Ruler: 10 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow
I never thought about it that way. I sew, my dad was a draftsman, and as a teacher, rulers were used all the time. Thank you for your viewpoint. Some things that seem almost instinctual to some are a real problem for others and vice-versa. Spelling has always been a challenge for me. I'm a great reader, but spelling is just beyond my comprehension. Thanks for supplying a great link.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2015, 10:04 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyofcardsView Post
It does it is part of the Silhouette Cameo/Portrait software. You can make squares or rectangles any size and nest them. Cut them out. Save the design and use it over and over or make new sizes. Works for circles and ovals or any shape. Quit spending money on dies!
LOL - Literally. You are right. And I thought about this as I was flipping through those spellbinder dies...:oops: Shame.

I just got more decrative/ornate sets - at $10 - $12 each, that is a good price. I do have a Spellbinder addiction. I need a 12 step program. But I did come to the conclusion last night that I think I own all the ones that are pretty and I can stop shopping for them now.

I never thought about creating the card layers in Silhouette. You are right. Color the boxes a solid color and create the layers based on the center piece measurements (which is never the same size). I will be able to see the layout there before cutting. Thanks for that idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2015, 10:08 PM   #26  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I know how to read a ruler. It just takes me a second. I used to say it is 5 and two little tick marks! LOL I know it is sectioned in 16ths, 8ths, fourths (quarters) halves...but I've learned a lot of that since I began card making.
Oh my. That took me back to my childhood. My parents owned a builder's supply store, so we were always making door jams and window casings, etc. in the back shop. My mom used to call out a measurement of "4 1/2 and 2 ticks".

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2015, 10:13 PM   #27  
Crimping Master

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I do know how to do it, but don't want to. I also know how to do dishes, but like owning a dishwasher.

I recently learned there was a web site that gave all the measurements to make any size envelope, so I thought there might be a site that did this for us also.

I know Sil can do this if I do it right. It will figure out all the cuts and distribute them evenly - I just need to watch a couple more videos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2015, 05:02 AM   #28  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I fully understand the "don't want to" state of mind.

I like to make frames for my cards and I "know" how to do it with my trimmer but I don't want to so I bought layering dies. I bought 2 sets (A & B) just so I can make the frames. They are a bit pricey but I have to say I've gotten my money out them. Of course, they are also great for cutting layers. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #29  
Crimping Master

I did see the nestibility dies (sets A & B) for various sizes. If I didn't own a Silhouette, I would own all those A&B sets!

As ladyofcards pointed out, I have a Silhouette that can cut these images in every possible size needed. And my mind is working on how to get that embossed edge that I love so much.
Reply With Quote Likes