Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Masculine Get Well Card Ideas

I'm after some ideas to make some mascuilne get well cards. My husband is an elder in our church and we have had a few people unwell in our district this year. I would like to have some cards ready for when people do fall ill so he can just grab one when he goes to visit them. I have plenty of ieas for feminie get well cards, just put some flowers on it and make it pretty and cheery, but I'm at a blank for what to do for the men.
Preferably ideas with SU products as that is what I mostly have.
Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Maybe focus on a scripture passage as an image and then use masculine/feminine papers and fun sketches to mix it up. Also remember men do have many of the same interests such as gardening, wildlife, sailing...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

When I do men's cards I usually use animals, trees & lighthouses. Sometimes I also use kites or old cars. I just finished 45 cards for Kairos prison ministry which my DH is involved with. It was challenging since they were all for men. I used a lot of dark green, dark blue, brown and maroon cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks RiverIsis and Paula in GA. I think I find masculine cards hard because I'm not keen on the dark blues, greens and maroon type colours. Will have to go and have a play around with some stamp sets and see what I come up with. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

The majority of the cards I make are for men - truthfully alot of it is in the combining.

Of course you can use generic things such as balloons, planes, a present - "my gift to you would be -" "you are such a gift to us"... My lot like birds too...

Lots and lots of options. I wouldn't worry too much about "dark colors" - especially as bright gives such good getting well energy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
The majority of the cards I make are for men - truthfully alot of it is in the combining.

Of course you can use generic things such as balloons, planes, a present - "my gift to you would be -" "you are such a gift to us"... My lot like birds too...

Lots and lots of options. I wouldn't worry too much about "dark colors" - especially as bright gives such good getting well energy!
Here's a blog I have recently found Criminal Grace - Confessions of a cluttered, creative mind She does some good all around cards that aren't girly which may help inspire you with regards to masculine cards. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I did a couple of cards with a cute dog on the front, and inside I put "Heal!" It may not be appropriate for all illnesses/accidents, but it is cheerful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 03:40 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Masculine themed cards are very easy. Instead of using the bright/pastel colors you want to focus on earth colors, not necessarily dark colors.

Use nature or animal stamps rather than flowers. If you know the person well you can customize with a stamp to fit that person.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 06:01 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I use trees, boats (peaceful feeling), geometric shapes,animals. I keep the sentiment simple and write a note in them to personalize them. I make funny ones for men, but only family where I know they will be received well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I now feel challenged to make a pastel masculine card (I make bright all the time) but I can completely see a seaside theme with lighthouse with soothing pastels (even a bit of pink in the sky) and lots of white space being completely appropriate and masculine....wonder if I have a lighthouse stamp.... LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

It's so funny to see this thread -- I just posted a card I described as a masculine get well card to my blog here (the second card).

I actually wondered if I should describe it that way b/c it could be for a woman, too. But there several features that usually to keep a card less girly: A pattern like harlequin (or woodgrain, houndstooth, argyle, etc.), bold or earthy colors, elements of nature, and classic color combinations and images usually work well.

If you tend to think 'ribbon and a bow,' try washi tape, natural twine, or twill. Sponging, especially in nutmeg/brown hues, and distressing edges add a rustic vibe as well.

It always helps if you know more about the recipient, but generally when I do masculine cards, it's not so much what I do as what I don't do . I avoid buttons, pastels and flowery images or patterns. It helps that I gravitate toward the natural elements to begin with -- I'm more likely to struggle with a flowery, girly look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For male cards use colors like in men's and boy's clothing. Tans, browns, blacks, grey and shades of blue and green. An earlier post recommended earth tones--perfect! Primary colors are great too.
I like distressed looks for guys and textures. For embellishments I like trinkets such as small keys and gears and watch parts or game pieces. Go with sports and hunting themes. Guys like their vehicles, so cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles and bikes. They collect tools, and power items. It helps to use ego booster words such as Best, Greatest, #1, etc.

Reply With Quote Likes