Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-15-2016, 06:37 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Markers/pens

I'm wanting to purchase a complete set of pen/markers. Ideas on he Stampin up set or close to my heart set? Really don't want to spend the money for comics. I have an older chromatix set.

Let me know pros and con! Thanks!
Deb
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2016, 07:16 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The close to my heart markers now are the ShinHan twin touch, which are alcohol markers like copics. And they're six bucks each.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2016, 07:41 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

As Copics are too high for my budget, I did some research and found out about Spectrum Noir Markers. I have accumulated most of the colors in sets, and I'm pleased with them. The earlier versions had a problem with drying out, but the newer versions work very well.

I think the best place to buy them is Consumer Crafts, and they have them on sale right now. Here is a link:

https://www.consumercrafts.com/store...sale&p=1&ps=20

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2016, 07:42 PM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't buy a complete set of any kind of marker just because my experience has been that there will be markers I never use. I would go with buying individuals like Tombow. They last a long time and have beautiful colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2016, 07:48 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I wouldn't buy a complete set of any kind of marker just because my experience has been that there will be markers I never use. I would go with buying individuals like Tombow. They last a long time and have beautiful colors.
I agree about large complete sets of markers. The Spectrum Noirs come in sets of 6 in different shades of the same color family, so you do have a little flexibility. Sometimes it's much cheaper to buy them in sets than individually.

Also, I know people like the Tombow markers, but they are water based, and not alcohol like Copics and Spectrum Noir.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2016, 08:26 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Oh I thought the OP didn't want alcohol markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2016, 09:29 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think she didn't want Copics because of the cost. P.S. I agree with her.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2016, 11:43 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I have been using the zig water based markers called brushables they are amazing i love them you can use a technique where you either stamp a picture then heat emboss or alternatively use elizabeth crafts or any outline sticker on double sided sticky tape then use microfine glitter ovee the top. I use elizabeth crafts glitter and you rub it with your hand and it goes shiny the transparent ones work for this technique then once its stamped/ used the sticker with the glitter you can colour right over the top it looks amazing! ! Theres a video on you tube from svrapbooking made simple and also one by Elizabeth crafts as well
So i have made lots and lots of cards this way and never realized till a weel ago that you can also use the pens another way where you put some of the ink onto a shiny surface like acrylic block or a craft mat then you use a water filled brush or a paint brush dipped in water and you can paint with it ive never actually done this before but ive seem some videos on this technique

They are sold in pack of the same colour family you may not want to buy them from svrapbooking made simple cos they do take forever to come especially in the sale which is about 3 to 4 weeks away but their videos are the best videos ive ever watched and how i learnt to stamp! Its cos she repeats it so much and i love that
They sell all of the pens for $70US but with the sale i think its 20 or 30 percent less than that
They gave two colours per pen a colour and a 50 percent tint of the colour which helps to blend them
I absolutely love them theres 24 pens 48 colours and though i haveny used them constantly i have used them fot 18 months they're only just starting to run out
Im sure they would be available somewhere else though i cant use alcohol based markers they smell at least sharpies do so im assuming copics do too and they super expensive so the water based stuff is much better i also dont use alcohol based inks either like stazon i know it looks amazing on some stuff but im not sure i could handle the smell
Good luck finding the right pens
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2016, 05:52 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for the feedback! Reading my first post......not comics, but copics! LOL��
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2016, 07:42 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you decide on the Spectrum Noir from Consumer Crafts, they are on sale, and there is $1.97 shipping for $25 or more all weekend.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Stampin up markers are not great for coloring. I love mine for putting different colored ink on one stamp, signing my name in matching ink, and coloring tiny areas. I've gotten tons of use out of them!

I read here that some people bought Bic markers as an inexpensive coloring medium. Target had a set of about 20 (maybe more) for $20.00. They have worked for me. Not anywhere near copic quality but they'll do if you are not wanting to do fancy coloring.

I have one set of SU blendabilities ( no longer offered by SU) and I really love those, about 10 copics and my Bic

I'm good with that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2016, 12:32 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm like you Allistamps, I have a "collection" of markers. Some Bics, some Sharpies, Spectrum Noirs, some Shinhan Twin Touch, and a few Copics.

I find they all work together since they are all alcohol markers.

I'm pleased with how they color on my cards. I'm not an "artist" and I just couldn't justify spending over $300 for a set of Copics!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2016, 12:52 PM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

I have the old spectrum noir markers. I just HAD to have them when they first came out. Now I wish I waited because I have over 70 of the old style markers and I have to revitalize them. They do work well though. I've been having fun with them lately since I've added alcohol back in them to be juicy again. I completely neglected them for years because I figured they were crap.

I also have the Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers for water coloring techniques. I only did the 12 pack of those. They are fun.

I have two Chameleon pens and I have to say it's a cool concept but it doesn't really work quite right. You can't color in the way that's needed for it to work the way they intend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2016, 01:41 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by intoxicatingartsView Post
I have the old spectrum noir markers. I just HAD to have them when they first came out. Now I wish I waited because I have over 70 of the old style markers and I have to revitalize them. They do work well though. I've been having fun with them lately since I've added alcohol back in them to be juicy again. I completely neglected them for years because I figured they were crap.

I also have the Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers for water coloring techniques. I only did the 12 pack of those. They are fun.

I have two Chameleon pens and I have to say it's a cool concept but it doesn't really work quite right. You can't color in the way that's needed for it to work the way they intend.
I had some of the old style, too. Only a few of them dried out, but I got irritated and pitched them. THEN I saw the tip about fixing them with alcohol! That will teach me not to throw anything away.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2016, 02:27 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Buggiok......the cheap shipping won me over! I will now have spectrum noir markers! And of course I picked out a few more things, so I actually ended up with free shipping! LOL. Can't wait to use some good markers! My chromatix have been OK, but some are dried out and just plan worn out! I'm excited for this investment! Thanks again for all your replies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

If you're looking for water-based markers, I love the Distress markers by Tim Holtz.

Tombow markers are also fantastic. If you use those to color and shade, I recommend stamping first, and then spraying LIGHTLY with an acrylic sealer. This keeps the paper from pilling because of too much water seeping into the paper. Actually, this tip will work with any water-based markers. This will also work if you print digi stamps with an inket printer. It will keep the printer ink from smudging also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2016, 02:44 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by deansgalView Post
Buggiok......the cheap shipping won me over! I will now have spectrum noir markers! And of course I picked out a few more things, so I actually ended up with free shipping! LOL. Can't wait to use some good markers! My chromatix have been OK, but some are dried out and just plan worn out! I'm excited for this investment! Thanks again for all your replies!
I'm excited for you, Deb! I really enjoy using mine. I'll tell you how I keep mine semi-organized. I got one of those little plastic caddies with a handle that they sell for carrying cleaning supplies around your house. It has several compartments and I stand the markers up in it.

It looks like this one, but I got mine at the Dollar store so it was not expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Romanoff-Smal...cleaning+caddy

I made a chart on cardstock with the numbers of the markers, and marked a little square of the color by each one. I can look at my master chart to see the actual colors, and then just pick out my marker from the caddy. I keep my crafting supplies in a spare room, and need to lug them out to a table in my living room, so it's easy to carry back and forth.

Since I don't have a real "craft room", I really don't care about what my containers look like, just that they function well and don't cost much, lol.

Have fun with your new markers!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2016, 06:25 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Thanks bugginok! I actually ordered two of the caddies to hold the new marketrs! What the heck, they were on sale! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2017, 05:47 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I have various markers too. I have all kinds of different waterbase markers. I actually like the tombow's but they've gotten pretty pricey too. I like the Marvy's as well. They are an affordable sub for the tombow's When it comes to blending and coloring with alcohol markers, I bought a set of Spectrum Noir from someone who was giving it up. I did purchase a new set of the skin tones from Joann's with a %50 percent off coup so it was only like 7.50 and came with 6 colors in that pack I love them. The re-inkers are affordable and the actual color packs are extremely affordable. I have a friend who went everyday with a new coupon until she bought all the different color packs. Joann's are the only place I can find them in the regular stores. I love them when I'm really doing coloring and blending. They are well up there with the Copics, just a lot more affordable. I feel like if you are a marker user/artist then you need both water base and alcohol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2017, 06:51 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a few sets of the Nuvo Creative Markers which are alcohol-based. They come in sets of 3 by color family and have a metallic set. I must say I have any easier time blending them than I do with my Spectrums. For me, Spectrums have too many gaps, something I didn't realize until I invested. They are adding new colors to the line and started the 'Colorista' line, too. Which is a bit confusing and overwhelming for me, actually. Nuvos, though, don't have reinkers. I had reached out to Tonic who said they didn't have plans for reinkers but that the markers should last a long time.
Reply With Quote Likes