Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-16-2007, 09:48 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Make and takes too time consuming??

If you were attending stamping parties on regular basis would you prefer to have the make and take items be quick and easy, or more detailed and longer to make?

I am just curious. I have a stamper's six club and I am wondering if my make and take items are too complex. I want them to be fun and exciting, not just a basic little card with a stamped image that you can color in,etc. I also like trying to incorporate different techniques for my customers to learn instead of me demonstrating and them only getting to watch. KWIM?

However, I worry that sometimes my cards are too time consuming for a basic workshop. Especially if sometimes there are 10-12 guests and we all have to share and pass the products. I have a small customer base and don't have the extra money to buy 3-4 pairs of paper snips, or multiple ink pads of the same color, etc.

Any input from some of you that attend at home stamping parties whether it be SU!, or CTMH, or whatever else would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, also, the parties are always at night on a weeknight other than Friday, usually start at 6pm, and we do three make and takes.

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Put on your big girl panties and deal with it!

Yes, I too have jumped on the bandwagon---My Blog

Save the drama for your Mama.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2007, 10:01 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

My demo designs 3 cards, of which we make 4 of each. She generally has 1 easy, one moderate, and one advanced. The size of the group is such that there are no more than 2 working on each card at a time, prevening the need for mutiple supplies. She also moderates the size by offering the monthly stamps groups on 3-4 separate nights.

I personally like this method of having cards of varying degrees.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2007, 10:05 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd love to see what your samples look like. Your gallery isn't opening for me right now.
I think there is a fine line between too complicated and too simplistic. People want to see something new. If it's a new technique or a new tool, anything to help them see more possibilites with their stamping. On the other hand, if it's too complicated or if it takes too long to get to the supplies, then they get frustrated.

One thing I tried the last time I did a camp at my house where people rotated between projects was to have a friend 'try out' the cards first so I could see how long it took her to make it. I also tried making it a byos (bring your own scissors) even. Those two things helped alot bc I got to see how long it took from her perspective and the scissors helped people be able to do something while they waited on ink, stamps etc.
Could you set up projects at different tables and include a set of directions and let them go it alone? Maybe you could get the trickiest project under way then check on the others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2007, 10:26 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

i am having our 2nd party of our set of 12 and i just gave my demo some monies to pick up clip boards we are also making 1 card and candy bar wraps..A few of the girls loved her clip board so i figured to chip in also. i am doing it in a Open House way that is so girls and come and go as they want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2007, 10:49 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

i think that stapming parties and stamp camp/card club are two different things...

when i go to a stamping party at a friends house- i have in the past done a couple make and take cards. once it was 2 - 6x6 album pages. none of which were difficult.

when i go to card club (once a month) there is usually one simple card and 2-3 other cards that she usually tries to have some kind of technique to make it. this is when we try NEW stuff.

when she has a stamp camp there is usually a themed item.

or with a stamp-a-stack we make a few each of several different cards. this is where we expect volume (not to say it lacks creativity) ei. 30 christmas cards or 12 birthday cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Stamp club = detailed and fun techniques

Basic hostess workshop = quick and SIMPLE WOW cards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2007, 11:23 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I just started a stamp club and I agree that it is fun to have more complicated cards to make. Also, I love getting to take home a card that looks like it ould be posted on SCS, i.e. fancy pants cards. I alos LOVE the idea of bring your own scissors. I would totally go for that if I were going to a party. For a stamp party, you may want to simplify the cards a little, for the people new to SU! I expect to pass and share the supplies. But, it is so worth it to take home 2 or 3 cards/card ideas.
God bless,
Victoria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2007, 11:26 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I agree w/what everyone has said! :-) I will say that I've been invited to several stamp-a-stacks from a demo (not my regular one) that I've declined simply because the cards IMO were just too simple & kind of plain for what I was paying. Now, I don't expect to make cards w/dozens of embellishments but even a little bit of ribbon or something to give it some zip would entice me to attend one of the SAS's.

I like the idea of 'progressive' SAS's - easy, medium, difficult cards or projects.

You could always host an a la carte kind of party - where your customers pay a fee per completed project (i.e. $2 per card.....$3 per domino pin....$5 per small clip board - you get the idea).

:-) Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2007, 12:00 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for all of your input! :mrgreen:

Neither my club members or the guests that they invite are required to pay anything. I have only had two guests, (one each at seperate parties) do the make and takes and not order anything.

I am just concerned that my club members might be concerned with the time if there are say, 12 people (all of which include the 6 club members, and the extra invited guests.) All sharing products to assemble their make and takes.

I have said a few small things about it to the club and no one has come forward to complain, but I'm not sure if they would anyway. I think that they would be afraid of hurting my feelings. KWIM?

Put on your big girl panties and deal with it!

Yes, I too have jumped on the bandwagon---My Blog

Save the drama for your Mama.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2007, 12:22 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Neither my club members or the guests that they invite are required to pay anything. I have only had two guests, (one each at seperate parties) do the make and takes and not order anything.
What my demo does is tell all attending guests that it is not mandatory to order anything but asks that if they do not, if they could please donate $2.50 per card to cover her costs. I thought that was a really great/fair way of thinking. Just an idea!

Now, back to your regular post. I am involved in a stampers 10 and our projects are more advanced and we learn fun new techniques, etc. (next week we are making a wallet card). If we are doing something that my demo does not have a lot of she will get in touch with us and suggest if we have one of our own to bring it so it will speed the class up (for example: exacto knife and piece of glass, or whatever). Generally basic hostess classes are usually a lot more simple as there are usually quite a few newbies.

Hope this helps ya out a wee bit. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2007, 12:43 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Through the years, I've been to lots and lots of SU parties and my favorite ones feature make and takes that don't require a ton of time or supplies. If they are too cumbersome or detailed, I know I'll never make that design again. On the other hand, I have been to a party where the demo didn't even do 1 make and take! That was really dissapointing.

So my preference is to do at least one 20 min card with a new product or technique that I would be inspired to reproduce at home.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2007, 12:52 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think people always want to learn something new, they don't want to make something they could make on their own. Either a technique or a different way to use a product, etc. At a home party I make one wow card, that takes some time nothing too quick, and classes I do 4 cards, usually one simple, 2 in between and one a little more difficult.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2007, 12:54 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

We usually do three projects at the parties I've been to. Usually there are between 4 and 6 adults, and 2 pre-teens, who are a real pain but have to come along with their mother. What my demo has done is a card that demonstrates a particular technique that the hostess has requested (like embossing or bleaching), something related to the season (like Christmas), and a something like a scrapbook page, a candy holder, and gift-card holder, etc.

These are fun to do, use stamps we usually have not purchased yet, and include ribbons, brads or eyelets, so they are a bit more interesting.

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2007, 01:12 PM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by angshink
If you were attending stamping parties on regular basis would you prefer to have the make and take items be quick and easy, or more detailed and longer to make?

I am just curious. I have a stamper's six club and I am wondering if my make and take items are too complex. I want them to be fun and exciting, not just a basic little card with a stamped image that you can color in,etc. I also like trying to incorporate different techniques for my customers to learn instead of me demonstrating and them only getting to watch. KWIM?

However, I worry that sometimes my cards are too time consuming for a basic workshop. Especially if sometimes there are 10-12 guests and we all have to share and pass the products. I have a small customer base and don't have the extra money to buy 3-4 pairs of paper snips, or multiple ink pads of the same color, etc.

Any input from some of you that attend at home stamping parties whether it be SU!, or CTMH, or whatever else would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, also, the parties are always at night on a weeknight other than Friday, usually start at 6pm, and we do three make and takes.

Thanks! :mrgreen:

How about setting up different projects in different areas of your stamp area.

Or have you customer bring a pair of scissors to the group.

I have only done one make and take.

I made up all the stuff I needed for the Make and take ahead of time and placed them in a baggie.
This seem to help out.

But I'd like to hear how others do their too!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes