Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-05-2016, 03:56 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Mailing thick cards

I often make cards with two and even three layers mounted on foam tape. They don't fit well into regular envelopes and the Post Office usually wants an extra stamp to accept them, anyway. I know I can use padded envelopes, but I don't much like that look and the postage is more than just a couple of regular stamps.

Does anyone know if there are A2 size boxes that are up to 1/2" thick that I can use instead? If I'm going to pay more to send these and protect the layers and embellishments from being squished, I'd like to do it in something more elegant than a padded manila envelope. Anybody else found another solution for this?

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree! I hate envelopes that scream office :/ I don't know if they sell them, but you can make them quite easily with the WRMK Envelope Punch Board or 1-2-3 Punch Board. I also use regular nice envelopes that are a bit oversized and wrap the card in mailing/packing foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2016, 09:17 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sometimes I use 5 x 7 envelopes to mail layered/embellished size A2 cards. I pad them with a piece of cardstock inside.

You can find nice 5 x 7 envelopes lots of places.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 07:00 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about the boxes but I often use a bigger envelope (invitation sized?) and then use one regular stamp plus one post card stamp and I have never had anything sent back to me. If there are hard embellishments, I put a sheet of cardstock in as a liner.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 07:33 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Perhaps these? You could insert a sheet of paper inside with the address to hide the contents.
A2, 5.5 Baronial, Archival Photo Boxes, Clear, Holds 12, 12 mil
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you for all your thoughtful responses. I want mailing boxes, so I think the clear boxes aren't going to be sturdy enough, and any size flat envelope has the same problem of protecting the contents that I'm experiencing with A2 envelopes, but the 1-2-3 Punch Board looked intriguing. Unfortunately, the largest box the punch board makes is 4 x 4 x 4". I looked at a lot of box sites and nothing really fits what I want, so I may just have to get some chipboard, my bone folder, and experiment! But I really appreciate your ideas because at least I now know where I stand with this problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Here is a nice tutorial about making box envelopes for cards using the Martha Stewart Score Board:

Box Envelopes - Photo Tutorial |

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 01:10 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The folding boxes come in cardstock too, not just clear. Here is a kraft example -- but they have all sorts of colors.
Buy Greeting Card Box Bottom Kraft Paper A2, 5.5 Bar Size, 1 inch Dee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Diana, I know Staples sells nice envelopes that are labeled invitation size (which I always thought was A2), but these are a bit larger and layered cards fit nicely in them. I buy the pink foam sheets - the kind you put between plates - and put a layer around my card.

I have some of the clear boxes linked above; I use them when I make gift sets of cards. But unless you're buying in great quantities, they're rather expensive. However, they do have some that are not as thick that might work for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 02:32 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by LemurLoverView Post
Thank you for all your thoughtful responses. I want mailing boxes, so I think the clear boxes aren't going to be sturdy enough, and any size flat envelope has the same problem of protecting the contents that I'm experiencing with A2 envelopes, but the 1-2-3 Punch Board looked intriguing. Unfortunately, the largest box the punch board makes is 4 x 4 x 4".
I have the board, and I'm sure it makes up to at least 5 x 7 and beyond. I have made A2 size card boxes on it before...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
I have the board, and I'm sure it makes up to at least 5 x 7 and beyond. I have made A2 size card boxes on it before...
That's interesting, poppy - I looked at the Q&A on this item at amazon.com, which is where I got the 4x4x4 information. I'm fishing around on YouTube now because one of the amazon responders mentioned there were videos on how to make 3D envelopes.

I love the Q&A feature of amazon, but what I don't love are all the responders to questions who tell you (a) they really don't know the answer to your question, or (b) tell you there's a link that will answer the question or you can find the answer on Pinterest or YouTube, but don't give you the link. At least when I post a question here, knowledgeable people weigh in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 05:41 PM   #12  
Inking Addict

Diana,

Here's a couple of videos that may help -- she's calling it a 'card box' but it's basically just a thick envelope made with heavy cardstock. They are using them to put 3 or 4 flat cards & envelopes in it, but it would work great for a heavily embellished card, I'd think? It would have enough space for the card & a little bit of optional padding, if need be.

From Jennifer McGuire:

[url][url][url]
Another one from Barb Stamps, showing the same sort of project:

I've found TONS of really great ideas, videos, tutorials, etc for the Envelope Punch Board over at Pinterest! I ran into so many cute ideas, I had to start a board just for the punch board stuff I wanted to keep track of! LOL! There are SO many neat things you can use that board for, way on beyond envelopes!

And here are a few that use the Scoreboard instead of the Envelope Punch Board:

&nohtml5=False
&nohtml5=False
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 06:05 PM   #13  
Glitter Queen

i am glad that the person above me posted the wonderful videos of boxed card envelopes. i was pretty sure that the wrmk 123 punch could do bigger than 4x4 but i have not tried mine yet. bought it but not used it. but i am sure that martha stewart scoreboard will do a box card bigger than 4x4. also Login : SCOR-PAL: Scoring board for making cards, envelopes and over 150 free craft projects which sells scoring boards,has lots of info on all sorts of card boxes that can be made. and you can use someone else's band of scoreboard but still use their tutorial.

Last edited by winzercastle; 04-06-2016 at 06:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 06:07 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

That's interesting, poppy - I looked at the Q&A on this item at amazon.com, which is where I got the 4x4x4 information. I'm fishing around on YouTube now because one of the amazon responders mentioned there were videos on how to make 3D envelopes.

I love the Q&A feature of amazon, but what I don't love are all the responders to questions who tell you (a) they really don't know the answer to your question, or (b) tell you there's a link that will answer the question or you can find the answer on Pinterest or YouTube, but don't give you the link. At least when I post a question here, knowledgeable people weigh in!
That is so annoying — my favorite is when a person answers "I don't know." I guess they think they're being helpful LOL

Take a look at this page — if you scroll down, you'll see a photo of the measurements label, and if you click on the picture it enlarges it a bit. You'll see sizes like 5 x 7, 5 x 8 etc. The board has an extender arm that pulls out with scoring channels to allow for the bigger paper sizes.

http://www.threelittlemonkeysstudio....ork-envelopes/

Last edited by poppydarling; 04-06-2016 at 06:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 06:20 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by winzercastleView Post
i am glad that the person above me posted the wonderful videos of boxed card envelopes. i was pretty sure that the wrmk 123 punch could do bigger than 4x4 but i have not tried mine yet. bought it but not used it. but i am sure that martha stewart scoreboard will do a box card bigger than 4x4.
I have both and I have tried to make them on the Martha Stewart scoreboard with that little triangle thingy and man, it gets a little complicated! I'm sure it's eventually possible :-) 1-2-3 Punch Board makes it super simple--measuring just once. I think you'll love yours!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 06:26 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

ravyn, thanks so much for finding and posting all those helpful videos.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 07:04 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I watched the videos using the Scoreboard, and I thought they were very good – easy to follow, with lovely results. I've stayed away from the envelope punch boards because I'm left-handed, and I get flummoxed trying to figure out how to make those work for me. Thanks for providing the inspiration with the videos!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 07:48 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola G.View Post
I watched the videos using the Scoreboard, and I thought they were very good � easy to follow, with lovely results. I've stayed away from the envelope punch boards because I'm left-handed, and I get flummoxed trying to figure out how to make those work for me. Thanks for providing the inspiration with the videos!
I'm left-handed too, and I can tell you it's really aggravating! I manage to do it with my weaker right hand but it's not easy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 09:58 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Rayvn, thank you so much for the videos. I was astonished looking at the 3rd one, because I have the Martha Stewart scoreboard, and I didn't remember ever seeing that little triangle envelope piece she pulled out of the bottom corner! So I dug mine out, and although there's a space for that piece on the underside, the triangle wasn't there. So I rummaged around my craft desk (which, if it's not atypical, looks like a craft bomb hit it...) and darned if I didn't find it - who knows how it got separated or why I never wondered what that funny-looking triangle on the table was. The chart on it actually is for dimensional envelopes, too.

I did find this tutorial on making a 3D envelope on the MS scoreboard without that piece:
There are others, but she shows how she comes up with the measurements she uses, where a number of these videos give you measurements only for the size of card they are making in the demo, rather than telling you how those measurements were derived so that you can derive your own for the size cards you make.

Oh, well, we're all learning a lot from this question, aren't we? Thanks for all the input!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 10:31 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Hmmm...trouble already. If I follow the MS scoreboard's directions for a dimensional envelope for an A2 card, the interior space is a 4.75" square - pretty much impossible to get a card that's 4.25" x 5.5" in that!

Clearly this is going to require more brain power than I am able to muster at 11:30 p.m.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Hmmm...trouble already. If I follow the MS scoreboard's directions for a dimensional envelope for an A2 card, the interior space is a 4.75" square - pretty much impossible to get a card that's 4.25" x 5.5" in that!

Clearly this is going to require more brain power than I am able to muster at 11:30 p.m.
It's not just you � I had serious trouble figuring that out on the Martha Stewart scoreboard. I'm sure it's possible, but math was never my strong suit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2016, 11:26 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

I've made a few of the dimensional envelopes using the MS scoreboard. It took a minimum of three revisions along the way, but I finally got them to work. Unfortunately, I didn't copy down the dimensions that worked. That would have been too logical!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Glad to hear it's not me! I've emailed the manufacturer and will let you know when/if they respond. Hopefully it will info we can all use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #24  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Are you referring to the instructions for 'dimensional card envelopes' printed on that triangular piece? I just tried that out myself & I ended up with an envelope that measured 4.75" x 6".

I wonder if the MS board had problems w/ the printed instructions on the board at one time, similar to what happened with the Envelope Punch Board when it was first released? (A few of the measurements printed on the very first punch boards were incorrect)

Anyway -- my scoreboard had me cut an 8.5" inch square of paper. "A" scores were at 3", "B" scores were at 3 5/8". Score at 3", rotate paper 90 degrees, score at 3 5/8", rotate, score at 3", rotate & score at 3 5/8".

I still prefer the "box-style" envelope myself - I like that video you posted where the gal showed how she did her box-style envelopes in any size on the scoreboard, thank you for that! I tend to use my punchboard more often for envelopes, but I like knowing how to do as much as possible with the scoreboard too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #25  
Inking Addict

And totally off-topic ----- oh my gosh, that lemur in your avatar photo is PRECIOUS!!!!! I bet there's a wonderful story behind that photo!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Rayvn, those are exactly the directions I followed, but I thought we did both the 3" and the 3 5/8" on each side. Didn't occur to me that A was one side and B was another - now I look at the little graphic on the piece, I see you are right. However, with one score on each side, you wouldn't get a box, you'd just get a flat envelope. It would be a generous envelope, but a flat envelope doesn't protect the layers or embellishments on a card, which is why I wanted a box. I bet it's possible to get a box out of the MS score board, but it would take more calculating than my math-impaired brain can muster. Like you, I think I'll try out the one on the video I posted.

The photo of the lemur on my shoulder was taken on one of those "trips of a lifetime" a couple of years ago in Madagascar! They're quite friendly...if you have bananas. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #27  
Inking Addict

OK - I was just playing around with it -- after a couple botched attempts at adjusting paper sizes, it turned out to be an easy fix after all!

Starting with the same 8.5" square, all you have to do is add an additional score to each side. For the "A" sides, score at 3" (like the board says) but also score at 2 3/4". For the "B" sides, score as directed at 3 5/8" but also score at 3 3/8".

I had thought I'd need to use a larger paper, but the flaps still all overlap enough to secure the box together.

Hope this helps! You've actually helped *me* by getting me playing around with this board again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #28  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravynView Post
OK - I was just playing around with it -- after a couple botched attempts at adjusting paper sizes, it turned out to be an easy fix after all!

Starting with the same 8.5" square, all you have to do is add an additional score to each side. For the "A" sides, score at 3" (like the board says) but also score at 2 3/4". For the "B" sides, score as directed at 3 5/8" but also score at 3 3/8".
The base of the envelope box is still a little bit bigger than the A2 size, though that might be helpful with a heavily embellished card.

If you wanted the card to fit snugger to the sides, you could just take those measurements down 1/8" each --- A= 2 7/8" & 3 1/8" B= 3 1/2" & 3 3/4". You'd basically be taking 1/8" off each side of the box, while still keeping the depth
You could take 1/4" off each side to make the A2 size fit snugly like a flat card would in a 'standard a2 envelope' , only having the 'box' depth for the embellishments - I'm thinking you'd probably want that little bit of 'wiggle-room' on the sides though, making it easier to slide the card in & out?

anyway, I'll shut up now.... sorry to be such a motor-mouth!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2016, 07:26 PM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravynView Post

I had thought I'd need to use a larger paper, but the flaps still all overlap enough to secure the box together.

Hope this helps! You've actually helped *me* by getting me playing around with this board again!
Thanks, Rayvn - that should be perfect!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 06:11 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Received 941 Likes on 862 Posts

Boy I am LOVING this thread!!! I love all the video's you guys are posting. Definately giving me alot of ideas!! Thanks to all of you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 06:48 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you for the tutorials.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 06:55 AM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

I never make heavily layered cards for the reason that they are hard to mail! At Christmas I might end up with a focal point popped up or a lumpy embellishment. I have made my own envelopes out of the heaviest card stock I have but just add an extra score line on all sides to create a one eighth inch "box" type envelope on the fly. The measurements given with the MS scoreboard are generous enough to allow for that extra eighth inch.

When I really wanted to be sure my cards were protected I just bought bubble wrap envelopes that were plain "office tan" on the outside and stamped all over the outside with snowflakes or other holiday images!
I'd rather spend extra time stamping the outside of a plain office type padded envelope than making a box, but that's just me! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 08:00 AM   #33  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a side note, but as long as your envelope is not thicker than 1/4" the post office will not charge extra postage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #34  
Glitter Queen

Thick cards that fit into envelopes (pre-made or homemade) should be mailed "first class parcel" and you have to take them of course inside the post office to get this rate. Doing this prevents your cards from being pushed through their letter machine which crushes them. It is a bit expensive but well worth it if you want your card to get where it is going without being mangled. I tried this out first by mailing a thick card to myself. I often put thin bubble wrap over the card front and/or card inside if it is delicate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 10:25 AM   #35  
Inking Addict

I use the Envelope Punch Board to make "special" envelopes for my thicker cards. There are many sizes listed on the board to make whatever size you want. It took me a couple tries to get the hang of it, but once i figured it out, it's a breeze. We R? Envelope Punch Board

...just learning
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 10:29 AM   #36  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I buy clear boxes for card sets for my business - and occasionally when I have to mail a larger, layered card, I send it in one of these. I can get them from my locally owned stamp shop, or online. I use the regular sealing mechanism, and the wow factor is that everyone gets to see my art work, the letter is inside the card, and can't be read, and it shows up at the door or in the mailbox "open" - sweet . If you are going to pay extra, you may as well pay it and show off at the same time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 11:41 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Joann's sells A7 size boxes (5.75x7.625 in) 2 per pack, along with a few other sizes by DCWV that are perfect for your larger 3 D cards. I don't know what the P.O. charges to mail. They come in off white, white and I believe a darker beige like the color of a lunch sack. Very sturdy.

Will try to take and load a photo.

Last edited by Phillis; 04-13-2016 at 11:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 12:03 PM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Couldn't figure out how to do it. Sorry but you would like them. Go have a look and see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 01:40 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillisView Post
Couldn't figure out how to do it. Sorry but you would like them. Go have a look and see.
Are these the ones? They look nice, but pretty pricey at $5.59 for only two:

DCWV Designer Set of A6 Boxes: White Dot | Jo-Ann

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illinois MargeView Post
The folding boxes come in cardstock too, not just clear. Here is a kraft example -- but they have all sorts of colors.
Buy Greeting Card Box Bottom Kraft Paper A2, 5.5 Bar Size, 1 inch Dee
Those look really good, Marge. And the price is right!

Reply With Quote Likes