Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mailing cards

Hi all! What is the best way to mail your cards? I need to mail almost all my cards and want them to get there in good shape. I like to add all the extras but wonder how they look when opened on the other side. Any suggestions?

Believe in
Yourself!!

www.pinterest.com/samigirl66/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2014, 07:18 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

Bubble envelopes work well. Or make a little box. Costs more to ship though. I'm trying to keep mine to one regular postage stamp for mailing but I know lots of people like to layer. I tend to put my cards in the envelope with the back to the front of the envelop and then cover the front, which is now in the back, with a piece of cardstock that has been crimped.

maybe silly question regarding mailing cards by Tracyg at Splitcoaststampers
Good ideas in this thread

Last edited by bound4london; 08-18-2014 at 07:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

If I have a lumpy card to mail I generally put an extra piece of cardstock over the front of the card for mailing to protect the front of the card.
blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 03:17 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I turn them around, I guess I do this if there was a tear it not would be in the address area. Like Amber I cover them. I use a large index that's folded(cheap and already cut).

I mail cards with buttons, tied ribbon and brads. They all get there fine. I did mail one last week with a rather large SU button. I hope it didn't jam the PO's machine. Normally I would have taken it in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 04:53 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I turn them around, I guess I do this if there was a tear it not would be in the address area. Like Amber I cover them. I use a large index that's folded(cheap and already cut).

I mail cards with buttons, tied ribbon and brads. They all get there fine. I did mail one last week with a rather large SU button. I hope it didn't jam the PO's machine. Normally I would have taken it in.
When you say you "would have taken it in", do you mean so it could be hand-cancelled at the P.O.?

For everyone responding to OP, do you routinely add extra postage when you drop your cards w/embellishments in a mailbox?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 05:01 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9or18holesView Post
When you say you "would have taken it in", do you mean so it could be hand-cancelled at the P.O.?

For everyone responding to OP, do you routinely add extra postage when you drop your cards w/embellishments in a mailbox?
I take my bumpy cards physically in to the PO, so they can put non-machinable on them and I pay the extra 20 cents. Then I watch to be sure they toss it in the "special" bin.

I do this because when I used to write hand cancel on it myself, even with the extra 20 cent stamp, and just drop it in the mailbox, it didn't get the special handling. The recipients told me it came through machine cancelled.

I have had lumpy cards and envelopes tear in the mail. Since I don't want to buy padded envelopes all the time (and extra mailing cost), I use relatively flat cards for mailing. Ones with lumpy embellishments get hand-delivered to local friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 06:12 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illinois MargeView Post
I take my bumpy cards physically in to the PO, so they can put non-machinable on them and I pay the extra 20 cents. Then I watch to be sure they toss it in the "special" bin.

I do this because when I used to write hand cancel on it myself, even with the extra 20 cent stamp, and just drop it in the mailbox, it didn't get the special handling. The recipients told me it came through machine cancelled.

I have had lumpy cards and envelopes tear in the mail. Since I don't want to buy padded envelopes all the time (and extra mailing cost), I use relatively flat cards for mailing. Ones with lumpy embellishments get hand-delivered to local friends.
Maybe I s/b buying small padded envelopes in bulk. An accurate scale to check for amt of extra postage needed might help too. The overwhelming majority of my hand-made cards go thru the p.o. vs being hand-delivered to a friend or family member.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 06:13 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,129 Likes on 508 Posts

At the post office, they told me to keep bumpy embellishments (a bow or pearl, etc.) toward the top of the envelope so they don't get crushed or stuck in the machine. I did have someone tell me that a card I sent that was embellished with glass Dew Drops arrived with crushed glass in the envelope. :( A layer of bubble wrap cut to card size or just a bit smaller is a great way to protect embellishments. If I send cards in a padded envelope, I tuck a piece of chipboard down the back so they don't get bent.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 06:14 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,129 Likes on 508 Posts

I asked about hand-canceling and at my post office apparently that's not done any more... they just bump it up to package rate, which is double. :(
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 07:25 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
At the post office, they told me to keep bumpy embellishments (a bow or pearl, etc.) toward the top of the envelope so they don't get crushed or stuck in the machine. I did have someone tell me that a card I sent that was embellished with glass Dew Drops arrived with crushed glass in the envelope. :( A layer of bubble wrap cut to card size or just a bit smaller is a great way to protect embellishments. If I send cards in a padded envelope, I tuck a piece of chipboard down the back so they don't get bent.
Historically, I too have slipped a cut pc of bubble wrap over embellishments when mailing cards in a regular A2 envelope. Now tho I wonder if the recipient's been stuck paying extra postage. No one's ever mentioned it but they probably wouldn't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 07:30 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I asked about hand-canceling and at my post office apparently that's not done any more... they just bump it up to package rate, which is double. :(
Sheesh...and I write 'hand cancel' on a lot of my cards !!! Thanks for letting me know. Sounds like another example of 'Don't ask -- Don't tell' !!!!

Card-making and sharing that hobby w/friends & family wasn't ever meant to cause THEM extra $$$.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 07:46 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Do any of you think adding a pc of thinner bubble wrap over embellishments will mean a card can't go thru the machines @ the p.o. and thus need more postage? The bubble wrap certainly won't add much weight but will add thickness to the envelope, obviously.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 08:02 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Another thing to consider is where you are mailing it to. Extremely hot/cold temps can really affect your adhesive! Ask me how I know. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think as long as the whole thing envelope and all is not thicker than 1/4 inch anywhere, especially the bumps, there is a good chance that it will make it through the machines. If it's got serious bumps (like a button or bow) (not-serious bumps would be like a mini-brad or flat ribbon - no bow), or it is square, but is still less than 1/4 inch thick, it would only need 20 cents extra postage. Anything over 1/4 inch thick would be considered a "parcel", and would need $2.50 total postage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 09:03 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

The envelope also has to be "bendable" or there is an upcharge.

On my wishlist is this cushioning Foam Packing Rolls | Foam Cushioning | Foam Pouch Has more substance than bubble wrap and the cushioning is consistent and easily cut down to envelope size.

ATM I emboss some thin cardstock or use some "free to me" bubble wrap and put the embellishments to the back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Yes, into the post office. If it's extra thick I add extra postage. Usually I don't have to add extra postage. It does depend on what PO I take the card to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Do any of you think adding a pc of thinner bubble wrap over embellishments will mean a card can't go thru the machines @ the p.o. and thus need more postage? The bubble wrap certainly won't add much weight but will add thickness to the envelope, obviously.
Yes, it will cost more. If your envelope is "thicker" than 1/4", you have to pay extra. Ask me how I know.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 02:06 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
I think as long as the whole thing envelope and all is not thicker than 1/4 inch anywhere, especially the bumps, there is a good chance that it will make it through the machines. If it's got serious bumps (like a button or bow) (not-serious bumps would be like a mini-brad or flat ribbon - no bow), or it is square, but is still less than 1/4 inch thick, it would only need 20 cents extra postage. Anything over 1/4 inch thick would be considered a "parcel", and would need $2.50 total postage.
I've not even been adding the extra 20 cents postage !! Do many of you do that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
The envelope also has to be "bendable" or there is an upcharge.

On my wishlist is this cushioning Foam Packing Rolls | Foam Cushioning | Foam Pouch Has more substance than bubble wrap and the cushioning is consistent and easily cut down to envelope size.

ATM I emboss some thin cardstock or use some "free to me" bubble wrap and put the embellishments to the back.
KWYM about the 'free to us' bubble wrap. I absolutely hoard the thinner variety of it (usually clear or green in color) to use for insertion w/ cards. I'm sure we receive things wrapped in the foam products you mentioned...will have to start saving that too, particularly computer-related products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Lots of great ideas! I'm going to try the crimped paper and also get some padded envies for the more bulky cards.
I asked my local(small town) PO about the postage on a handmade card, he said if it was more than an 1/4" then to add the extra .20 cents.
I send my mom alot of cards(several a month) and the only one, she said had some trouble was the one was added rhinestones, it made holes in the envie, so I'll know to add that extra padding for those.
Thanks all, I stamp alone but with all the tricks, helps and responses on here I feel like I have hundreds of stampers right along there with me!!

Believe in
Yourself!!

www.pinterest.com/samigirl66/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I've not even been adding the extra 20 cents postage !! Do many of you do that?
I get away with not adding it if I only have brads or ribbon. But I know that one card (out of hundreds) DID have "postage due" stamped on it. But my sister said they never collected on it, and that that was the only one ever, out of the hundreds that I've sent them. Every once in a while if I'm not sure, I stick a 20 cent stamp on there. Most of the time I don't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a postage scale and if it is under 1 ounce I use only one stamp even if it is lumpy. The extra piece of cardstock really helps.
Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 10:20 PM   #23  

I did notice if sending cards out of the country that different postal clerks tell you different things. For example on line, a metal embellishment is not able to be metered. I always add the extra amount. On a recent trip to the post office for an out of country card, a clerk told me the card can be metered and no extra postage is needed. She also told me that most postal clerks do not know the difference. I sure hope that card goes through ok. It's really guess work but how embarrassing to receive a card postage due.

A different situation, a clerk charged me extra for a bow since the knot in the bow she said was a rigid object. So it's really a gamble depending on clerks in various post offices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2014, 04:56 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

When I've added a pc of the smaller-bubble bubble wrap, I see that it DOES make the envelope thicker. Its ability to get thru the p.o.'s machines has been a concern. For those of you who instead use a pc of card stock run thru a Big Shot w/an embossing folder, do you feel it provides the same protection to your embellishments? It would certainly not add the same degree of thickness.

As a previous poster had mentioned, thanks so much to all of you who're more veteran stampers. Your advice to us relative newbies is invaluable, and certainly enhances our enjoyment of card-making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2014, 07:38 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

Just for fun, if you would like to see the machines your mail runs through during sorting...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB7dhE_TW9g
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2014, 07:58 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Just for fun, if you would like to see the machines your mail runs through during sorting...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB7dhE_TW9g
Very interesting video, Fionna. TFS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

The price for extra ounce is $.21. Not 20 cents.
Obviously by all these posts, each post office (or worker) has their own opinion of the 'rules' about lumpy letters, so I just go online for the real story and drop them in my outgoing mailbox after weighing on postage scale.
Very interesting video, Fionna. Just shows we get much less personal service than we thought! TFS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

AND it doesn't matter what your post office says if someone down the line thinks they are wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

AND it doesn't matter what your post office says if someone down the line thinks they are wrong.
Sad to say, you are absolutely right, Kristen.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
The price for extra ounce is $.21. Not 20 cents.
Obviously by all these posts, each post office (or worker) has their own opinion of the 'rules' about lumpy letters, so I just go online for the real story and drop them in my outgoing mailbox after weighing on postage scale.
Very interesting video, Fionna. Just shows we get much less personal service than we thought! TFS.
Oh no!! I didn't realize it had gone up!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, I did everything right yesterday, and it seems the PO has eaten my card. The SASE I enclosed after having everything weighed, measured, married... has returned to the house within 24 hrs of being sent without the card. I know I sealed the card because I have the rubbish from the strip...*BIG SIGH* I nearly didn't send the card because I liked it so much so I am slightly devastated.

And they can't say it was a bump on the outside of the card!!! it is the toolbox card in my gallery. Can't get it to link ATM.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Well, I did everything right yesterday, and it seems the PO has eaten my card. The SASE I enclosed after having everything weighed, measured, married... has returned to the house within 24 hrs of being sent without the card. I know I sealed the card because I have the rubbish from the strip...*BIG SIGH* I nearly didn't send the card because I liked it so much so I am slightly devastated.

And they can't say it was a bump on the outside of the card!!! it is the toolbox card in my gallery. Can't get it to link ATM.
Well, rats! That's just awful. I'm so sorry.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2014, 01:47 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh Kristen, that's awful!! That was a beautiful card!! I would be more than slightly devastated!
Reply With Quote Likes