Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Love the look of heat embossing but struggle with results

I've watched lots of videos and think I know what I'm doing but I somehow always mess up. My first problem is that despite always using the embossing buddy...I have stray powder . The other big issue is that when I try to heat emboss sentiments they never work out, unless the font is pretty large. So many cute sentiments I have are smaller or have words of varying sizes. I've heard some you tubers recommend specific powders that say fine detail but I've had trouble finding them , plus I already bought some powder and hate to waste it. So am I trying to emboss the wrong things, do I need specific powder for sentiments? Any other hints? I love the look and could use it on so many cards but I've wasted so many cards already
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the same problems, and I too use an embossing buddy. I've mostly given up on heat embossing for this reason. I bought a VersaMark pad some time ago, but haven't tried to use it. I'm hoping it will make a difference, but not holding my breath. Powders I've used vary but are mostly Zing powder. I'd love to find a perfect, fine powder in black that I can use for sentiments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel your pain! I, too, love the look. I got a heat gun, powders, watched videos and read about how to do this technique.

I had varying results, and not many that I thought were very good. I finally decided that it was too much trouble and frustration, so I don't do it.

Maybe you would like the "foiling" technique with the Minc and foil papers. Of course, you would have to invest in all the stuff to do that, lol.

I don't have any positive suggestions for you, but lots of sympathy!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2015, 12:09 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Well at least I know I'm not alone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

For sentiments, I find the detail powders give the best results. Also, I never try to emboss sentiments with real small letters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2015, 02:40 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, agree to use detail powders for most sentiments. (Unless they are very bold).

To avoid stray flecks, I "tap or flick" the cardstock on the back. I also use a watercolor brush (not too big) and sweep strays off the page before using the heat gun. I have an embossing buddy but always seem to forget it. So I sweep up after myself and visually inspect to make sure there are no stray flecks of powder that will be melted by the heat gun.

I think stray flecks adhere because of static or oils (like from your fingers) so I tend to hold the piece I'm embossing by the edges.

I have embossed on most cards for 15 years. It's probably the technique I use the most. So well worth practing on scraps (so you don't feel you are wasting "good stuff". Investment is quite low as the little pots of embossing powder last for a decade (for me, anyway). For regular colors, perhaps start off with black, gold, silver and red. For detail, just start with detail black and maybe detail gold. That and a Versamark pad and you are good to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2015, 03:07 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love embossing it gives such a wonderful finish to stamped images and sentiments. I never try to emboss with black embossing powder, I avoid at all costs. I would rather stamp in black and clear emboss.
When using white or coloured embossing powder The finer the embossing powder the better and also the crisper the stamped image the better. Versamark black ink embosses brilliantly.
Always clean the card stock with emboss buddy, I have one that I have had for years, drop it onto the cardstock so I see powder puff out and wipe everywhere I plan to work around. Yes the oil from our fingers will hold the embossing powder onto the cardstock. I also have a fine paintbrush that I keep there to brush off stray bits of embossing powder that is holding on to the card.
For white embossing I love the Hero Art white powder and gold and silver I love Hero Art and Tim Holtz. I have Zing powders as well and they work well.
Things to avoid , using your stamp to stamp images over and over without cleaning the stamp regularly. The more you add ink to the stamp it will build up and thicken the lines.
Try and hold onto the cardstock on the edges, dont push down too hard on your stamp when its sentiments.
Sometimes we worry it hasnt transferred the image and give an extra push down or a bit of a wiggle and that just thickens the outline or blurs it.
Sometimes no matter what you do the image doesnt come out right and there can be a number of reasons for that, too much ink on stamp, stamp is not in great shape, some stamps are cheaply made and basically nothing you can do will improve things.
When clear embossing onto coloured or black ink images it doesnt matter how fine the powder is, at least I havent found it mattered and I bought a huge tin of embossing powder from a printing supplies place, its kept me going for many years now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Some stampers on You Tube first place the stamp on the Versumark embossing pad, then go to the colored stamp pad, be it black or colored. That way you don't compromise the light colored Versumark pad but you do have the sticky element to hold the embossing powder.

I try and be quick by having everything right there, so that the ink doesn't start drying. Stamp it, pour on the embossing powder, tap it off and heat it.

The paper I think is also important. Some papers don't take the heat that well. I guess you should just practice on scraps. Try different ways like just using the clear powder over the stamped image. When it turns out it's so pretty, so don't give up. Oh, and use a light hand when doing sentiments. Hold the stamp on the paper longer but don't push down. It will schmush the letters and make a blob!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2015, 03:45 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rnruns60View Post
I've watched lots of videos and think I know what I'm doing but I somehow always mess up. My first problem is that despite always using the embossing buddy...I have stray powder . The other big issue is that when I try to heat emboss sentiments they never work out, unless the font is pretty large. So many cute sentiments I have are smaller or have words of varying sizes. I've heard some you tubers recommend specific powders that say fine detail but I've had trouble finding them , plus I already bought some powder and hate to waste it. So am I trying to emboss the wrong things, do I need specific powder for sentiments? Any other hints? I love the look and could use it on so many cards but I've wasted so many cards already
Super fine embossing powder is a necessity for sentiments, I've found! You can get super fine embossing powders at Amazon, Simon Says Stamp and Joann's among other places.

Stray powder: following the tips here should help but I sort of accept that I'm going to miss a few stray grains. I'm just not a neat freak about stuff like that, but if it really bothers you, I would stick to clear embossing powder. You can always get black by embossing clear powder over Versafine Onyx Black or another type of pigment black ink, rather than worrying about noticeable stray grains of black embossing powder.

Make sure your embossing ink, like Versamark, is a very juicy pad. You need good even sticky coverage across the entire surface of the stamped image or area. I had trouble with uneven and pockmarked embossing and someone here suggested that it could be my pad. And it was!

Also, I don't think all embossing powders are the same quality – I would try another brand(s) if you're not happy with the one you are using. You can often find them on sale for around $2.00 each.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2015, 04:21 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Partial quote from post #7: "Versamark black ink embosses brilliantly."

I don't think Versamark comes in black.

You can get Versafine Onyx Black (which dries quickly, although some people have had success embossing it); and you can get Versacolor black ink. The Versacolor is pigment ink, which is perfect for embossing.

I would recommend stamping in color and embossing with clear powder. Any stray flecks of embossing will be invisible. I haven't tried inking my stamp with Versamark, then inking it with dye ink and then embossing, but lots of stampers have had good results doing this. (Melissa, you need to dig out your Versamark pad; it's so much better than regular embossing pads!)

The Zing powder, IMO, isn't good for embossing sentiments, or small images for that matter. The Zing granules are too big; by the time you get it heated, everything starts running together, and the result looks like you've over-heated it.

Another thing you might try is wrapping a piece of cardboard (about the size of a sheet of paper) with aluminum foil, taping the foil to the back of the cardboard. The foil does 2 things: it directs the heat to the back of the cardstock, which helps prevent warping; and it allows you to heat the powder quicker. Overheating embossing powder can cause it to flatten and sink into the paper you're using. You need to watch exactly where you're heating, and as soon as the powder becomes shiny, move on to the next section.

I have an even better remedy for gold and silver embossing. Don't do it! Buy Tsukineko's Delicata ink pads in Golden Glitz and Silvery Shimmer instead. These metallic inks are exquisite; they never lose their luster and they dry quickly. Embossing is actually not recommended with these inks.

I had some of the Zing metallic embossing powder, but I hated it and think I threw it away. I have some of the Zing colors (non-metallic), which are ok, but before I use them again, I'm going to try reducing the size of the granules by putting them in my spice grinder (bought specifically for my craft room!)

And if you want to try something really cool, mix clear embossing powder with Kool-aid. This is why I have my spice grinder, to get finer particles of Kool-aid. I mixed equal parts of cherry Kool-aid and embossing powder. I stamped a cherry with red dye ink. I then went over the cherry image with a Versamark pen. I embossed it with the cherry/clear embossing powder mixture, and I not only had a pretty spring card, but it smelled like cherries! Create your own scratch and sniff cards!

ETA: embossing powder DOES go bad, especially gold.

Last edited by uncbballfan; 11-21-2015 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: Add'l info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2015, 10:56 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks I think I've tried most of the suggestions and I think the problem may be my embossing powder and what I'm trying to emboss. I had mostly Zing powder which does appear to have large particles. What exactly do I need to look for? Will it say on it that it's for fine details? We only have big box stores here and I was at Michaels today and didn't see anything like that. What brand is best? Also sentiments are what I've mostly tried to emboss ...seems like a lot of the videos on you tube used it for sentiments but I probably won't try that again. Today I was trying to emboss snowflakes and I tried for 30 minutes and wasted so much paper. I think I actually got worse as I went along. I'm hopeless
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2015, 02:36 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the em. buddy but have never used it.

I do use SU poweder. I rarely if ever have flecks of powder on my card. Years ago I saw Kristina Werner on a youtube video turn over the card and flick the back numerous times to get stray powder off. She also uses a fine brush to go around the edge and brush off any stray powder. This seems to work really well.

I had a cheap set of small cosmetic brushes and I have them in my drawer now. These are quite tiny. These two (or three if you count SU powder, which i have no idea if that makes a difference) tips work really well for me.

I don't really emboss sentiments. So I don't know how well this works for sentiments.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 11-22-2015 at 02:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2015, 06:52 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

I use Stampendous Fine Detail powders. Recollections brand (Michales brand)has a fine detail in clear.

Yes, the label will say fine or detail on it.

I agree that a light hand is necessary when stamping sentiments- lightly apply the ink and then stamp onto paper- hold it down for a few seconds but don't press hard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rnruns60View Post
Thanks I think I've tried most of the suggestions and I think the problem may be my embossing powder and what I'm trying to emboss. I had mostly Zing powder which does appear to have large particles. What exactly do I need to look for? Will it say on it that it's for fine details? We only have big box stores here and I was at Michaels today and didn't see anything like that. What brand is best? Also sentiments are what I've mostly tried to emboss ...seems like a lot of the videos on you tube used it for sentiments but I probably won't try that again. Today I was trying to emboss snowflakes and I tried for 30 minutes and wasted so much paper. I think I actually got worse as I went along. I'm hopeless
You're not! Can you say more about what you were doing and what happened as you tried for that time? What are you using to heat the powder? Was the paper overheating and the powder just wasn't melting? Knowing what's happening will help us figure out some tips for you.

And yes, the superfine embossing powder will say that on the package. Sounds like you don't shop online?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

oo-I actually might be able to help on this one. Hope so. Been embossing a long time-one of the first things I learned to do. I just finished a 40 card holiday run where it is the main image (huge sentiment) in silver.

I just went and checked for you. Most of mine is Judikins. The silver I just used was Ranger. You could check McGuires's blog-she does a whole thing on powders. I like Ranger a lot. Esp for metallics.

A place that really specializes in both glitter and EP is Sparkle and Sprinkle online and they have tutorials. They sell all grades from ultra fine to heavy chunk so pay attention. I want to go there to backfill missing colors. Most of my glitter is theirs and I really like it.

Definitely use Versamark. WAY better than embossing pads. I dont know why, just is. You can also emboss on pigment inks. Just stamp it and clear emboss it. I had not heard about the double down with the dye inks. It doesnt mess up the dye pad? Especially if you do a lot?

The point that clear wont show strays is true and excellent.

Shake or stir your EP well. It has different elements in it that can separate/settle to the bottom of the jar. Esp the metallics and glitters. Hear me now and believe me later on this one.

Black embossing powder is apparently notorious for stinking. After several brands I asked at the LSS and they said stamp in black pigment and clear emboss. That color is always a problem child. I keep reading everywhere people wanted to pull out their hair because it just ignores the buddy/powder and goes everywhere. Jennifer McGuire swears by one but I havent tried it.

Yes, I use the embossing buddy heavily, try to handle by edges- you can pick up your fingerprints (I had to sweep that off 10 times yesterday). Some people use a long handled tweezer for this. Flicking from the back gets off a lot of strays- just hold the corner tightly so you dont knock it out of your hand (did that too), let the gun run awhile before aiming at the paper so it is hot, esp if you have turned it off at all b/c they cool super fast as a safety thing, keep it 2-3 inches from the paper and move in a circular motion so you get all angles. Some people are very vertical about it, others always angle in. Definitely dont get too close-you can blow the powder off, burn the paper, etc. Different guns need +/- distance.

Some EPs respond well to heating from underneath. Especially large flake. You start under and finish over.

Fine line images and sentiments definitely need ultra fine powder.

I agree with what was said about careful stamping. I make sure I have a sponge board under CS, very up and down-NO angling, rocking, etc. No heavy pressing. Or you can get doubling lines, etc. Clean the stamp every...5-8 stamps or so, with a quick swipe to clear excess build up, esp on the negative space. Always test on scrap first. Some stamps can have have an uneven surface. If you keep having a blank space, the sponge can help with that or watch how you are inking up.

I still huff my stamps. I never see anyone say that. (Huff air on it. The moisture in your breath helps the ink not dry out-which is more important with dyes but I am just in the habit) Agree-make sure the pad is juicy. I do a light reload after every 20 stamps.

I have a cheap blush brush and childrens paintbrushes that I use to clean up if I have to. They work because they are terrible and stiff so I can get up close. I sweep even when I dont see anything in the big spaces. I clean the brush constantly by wiping it on my shirt. (I have work clothes I wear to stamp like old tshirts)

Sometimes it is just a bad one and I brush it off to re-use, flip the card and do it again. I never try to do it twice on the same side of CS. If you have good light, you may be able to see it on the angle before you lay the powder on.

I hope I didnt repeat too much with all the detail but I never know which tidbit is "the" one-and you find something in there useful. You can do this. Seriously, you CAN.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2015, 01:47 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As pointed out by post #10
"Partial quote from post #7: "Versamark black ink embosses brilliantly."
I don't think Versamark comes in black.
You can get Versafine Onyx Black (which dries quickly, although some people have had success embossing it."

That was me #7, sorry I was so busy typing I didn't check I had put the correct black ink I use, it is as corrected here Versafine Onyx Black and it embosses brilliantly as long as you stamp and add embossing powder straight away as it does dry very quickly. It is such a good ink that it really gives good quality images and lovely sharp lines.

As does the gold and silver powders from Tim holtz and Hero Art. I love embossing but thats me.
You have had a ton of responses to go from so good luck. Most important thing is that you enjoy what your doing and never feel pressured to do what you feel is just too much effort for result. Good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2015, 06:25 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

My metallic EPs are now clumping and not fun, but I've had them for 10 years and the humidity gets to them every summer. The only other colors I have, after lots of experimenting, are clear and white. Sometimes I just need a sentiment embossed in white and it looks great on vellum. I also go the Versafine and clear embossing route for black. Guess I'll hope some new EP magically appears in my stocking this year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2015, 07:46 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Wow, tons of advice in this thread! I love it!!

I think I'll pull out my VersaMark pad and see if I have a fine or detail embossing powder. Then I'll give this technique another try before I consider completely giving up on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2015, 03:04 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

You've gotten some great tips here! All I can add is that, when I'm using white, silver, gold, or any other metallic embossing powder, I use a matching ink color. If I miss a few spots with the powder, the ink is the same color and doesn't show the "bare" spots.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2015, 03:32 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post

I do use SU poweder.
Another endorsement for SU powder here. Have used it for 15 years. Love it. Really lasts. Heats up nice and glossy. Some cheaper powders can be dull. Personally I have not had good luck with Zing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2015, 05:48 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illinois MargeView Post
Another endorsement for SU powder here. Have used it for 15 years. Love it. Really lasts. Heats up nice and glossy. Some cheaper powders can be dull. Personally I have not had good luck with Zing.
I got out some SU embossing powder not that long ago, and I had terrible results. Mind you, it was pretty old stuff. So I threw it all in the garbage and bought some fresh from Stewart (PTI sells their extra fine). There is a shelf life on some products, and I'm afraid embossing powders are one of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Agree with all the good advice and want to share a tip. Don't obsess over the stray flakes. Without the ink or Versamark to cling to, they should brush away AFTER you emboss.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2015, 02:34 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
Agree with all the good advice and want to share a tip. Don't obsess over the stray flakes. Without the ink or Versamark to cling to, they should brush away AFTER you emboss.
I'm not sure I would agree with that. Hasn't been my experience that you can do cleanup 'afterward'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2015, 05:01 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Embossing buddy, stamp with Versamark, for sentiments you will want detail, fine detail, or ultra fine (detail) embossing powder. Different brands will label them differently and some brands may carry more than one!
Dump your embossing powder on your stamped image right out of the jar, or spoon it over the stamped image. I tend to get a mess if I try to "slide" the paper through the powder already in my tray.
Dump off the extra powder, blow gently on the paper, use a small brush to get rid of any stray powder, flick the back of the paper, I've even tapped the edge of my paper down on my craft table to get rid of as much stray powder as possible.
I lay my stamped image on a piece of foil to heat. I find it heats faster as the back is getting "warm" from the foil and it prevents the paper from warping as much

Buying detail powder will be worth it. What you have already won't go to waste, just use it on larger sentiments or images. I have purchased Stampendous brand detail silver at one of the big box stores near me and have had good luck with it. The display of embossing powder is usually a mess, so you should check every bottle to see if it says "detail".

Also a good heat gun helps a LOT. I bought mine from Stampin' Up years ago and it is going strong. You can NOT use a hair dryer ( just FYI). I hear the Ranger heat tool is good but I have no personal experience with it. Depending on the heat gun you have you will have to play around with how close to the paper you hold it to get a good melt without over "cooking" it. And for some reason, I get better results by moving my heat gun around in small circles not just concentrating on one spot.
Don't give up!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

Quote:

After you heat it, it melts into the paper and is permanent. It doesn't need the Versamark or pigment ink to adhere to. It will not come off if it melted onto the card.

I vote for the fine, clear EP. Rarely use colored EP any more. If I get a clump of clear EP somewhere that it should not be, I use a sharp craft knife and scrape it off the card surface. Since it is clear, it won't show that I did this.

Blow from the top first (blows the straglers off first), then heat from underneath.

Embossing buddy: I roughly pat that thing onto the card till I see powder on the paper. I want a lot of powder coming out of it.

I use pure glycerin instead of the Versamark pad (actually re-ink my Versamark pad with glycerin). It works well, is good and sticky, and cheap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2015, 12:27 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
I got out some SU embossing powder not that long ago, and I had terrible results. Mind you, it was pretty old stuff. So I threw it all in the garbage and bought some fresh from Stewart (PTI sells their extra fine). There is a shelf life on some products, and I'm afraid embossing powders are one of them.
I did have some SU white embossing powder go bad. it was probably eight years old. Otherwise I have great results with SU powder. So yes, there is a shelf life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2015, 06:13 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks again everyone... Great advice. I just bought some new clear and white fine detail embossing pwder and will try that with all of your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2015, 07:01 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbyView Post
Depending on the heat gun you have you will have to play around with how close to the paper you hold it to get a good melt without over "cooking" it. And for some reason, I get better results by moving my heat gun around in small circles not just concentrating on one spot.
Don't give up!!
And if you cook the paper by mistake, just put a layer of distress inks over it with the foam tool. Yellow, orange or any of the vintage looking colors will hide the burn marks of cooking the paper. Ask me how I know this LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2015, 01:22 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

There have been a lot of good tips here. I also no longer use black powder but instead use clear over black pigment ink. At a stamp expo one time I was talking to Tim Holtz about the stray embossing powder issue, and he said never flick, but you can gently tap. I have also tried heating from underneath first and making sure my gun is preheated before I even do that. I used a Marvy heat gun for over 15 years and it worked great..Last week it died, and I got a new Ranger heat tool. It is much quieter but it takes at least three times as long as my previous tool did to melt the powder completely. How I feel about embossing is this: it makes a big mess in your workspace with the powder afterwards but it does look really nice especially on elegant and/or Christmas cards so I use in then. And I always keep a swiffer duster near me so that I can dust all the stray powder off my work surface (and me) after each piece. I've never met a person yet who could emboss or glitter without wearing some on her face.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2015, 01:44 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I may be repeating what many have already said, but here are my tips. use the embossing buddy - make sure some of the powder comes out of the bag/brush and covers the area you intend embossing.
stamp your image in either versamark or a pigment ink. add the powder immediately. you don't have to heat immediately, but adding the powder straight away will mean the ink won't have time to dry.
tap off the excess powder and inspect. if you can see any fleck, take a very fine paintbrush and brush away any loose flecks of powder before heating.
hold the heatgun about 2" away from the powder, having allowed it to heat up before aiming it at the powder.
hold the gun still over the powder and as soon as you see the powder start to melt, move the gun to the next area of the powder until the whole image is melted. don't waft the heat gun over the image.

I would also advise against using a black embossing powder at the start. it is very unforgiving. much better to stamp in black (either versacolor or versafine if you're quick) and add clear powder over the top.

hth

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

One day, frustrated because I'd stamped my sentiment onto my card front with quick-drying Ranger Archival before remembering that (dangit) I wanted to stamp in Versamark and heat-emboss that, I reached for a Sakura Gelly Roll pen and traced the sentiment. Voila! The look of raised embossing! So, if you are a good tracer and the letters aren't too tiny, this could be an option for you to get the same or similar look without the powder and heat.

For sentiments, I pretty much use colored ink and clear ep. I've been trying to use up my colored ep on images. Small silhouettes look great embossed. Also, stamping a non-outline stamp in a repeating pattern on cardstock and then heat-embossing looks nice as a background.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2015, 03:14 PM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

I will often stamp using Versafine black and then add clear embossing powder and heat set. Like the look with out the black specks on my paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2015, 07:40 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I have hero arts fine detail powder and it is lovely. I've embossed sentiments as tiny as 1/8" high and they are fine. The Simon says symp kits I get often have tiny word stamps in them. I also have Stampin' Up powers in all the Metallics and they are fine after 10 years. I also have other powders that old that work well but I can't speak for every brand. I don't really get how they feet too old but I've heard it before. Maybe the clump up in humid climates??

Definitely handle your paper as little as possible. When I cut new paper I get better results than with scraps I've handled several times before. I firmly believe that hand oils rather than static accounts for most stray powder. If you scratch your face, head or back you will get oily finger prints on Cardstock. Hard to see unless the Cardstock is dark. Try it on a scrap of black and you will KWIM.

If your powder has large granules, it can still be used for larger scripty sentiments with lots of open space between the the lines or bold sentiment. Just avoid those with lots of lines, especially thin owns close together. Wow powders are the worst for this. I'd love to try the spice grinder idea tho as they have so many pretty colours. I usually just stick to metallics, white and clear tho and never have problems. If you have a MISTI, there is no need to dip your ink in versamark then in coloured ink. Just stamp with your die ink then clean your stamp, ink with versamark and stamp again. Then you can use clear powder. Works every time. Expensive but I'm amazed how much I've used it now tha I'm used to remembering it exists!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2015, 07:48 PM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Susie718, why do you get so much mess? I get almost none! I use a coffee filter to catch the stray powder and I fold the filter to funnel it back into the jar. Most of the time there is no mess at all. I keep one filter for white and clear powder and one for colours. It also works amazingly for glitter tho that stuff is so fine it does still make some mess. Once the powder no longer flows smoothly into the jar, I get a new one. I'm guessing it is oils from my hands or moisture from humidity that makes it stick. But I have 200 filters from the dollar store and while I don't like to use them and ditch them, I don't mind getting a new one after a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2015, 06:31 PM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Embossing powder is made of plastic resin, so if any flecks remain after you've embossed, it means they have melted onto the paper and won't be easily removed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2015, 08:03 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 510 Likes on 229 Posts

I agree with many of the things that others have said...
Use versamark, or pigment ink
Use embossing buddy or similar
"Flick" the back of the paper after putting powder on to knock off any loose powder
Use a fine paintbrush to encourage any stubborn unwanted powder to release its hold on your paper
Don't try to do anything with fine lines or close-together lines unless you have detail or ultra-detail powder.
I find that most powders today are finer than the older ones. Some brands are better than others.
My personal favorite brands are WOW and Stampin' Up!. I understand that Hero Arts is also good.

But I think the best set of instructions, that includes all the most important things, are in this video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Mo9YGf3uedg?list=PLTuV6i1nUI6QgIRjbdE1dq31d2BCqp0s v" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 11-27-2015 at 08:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
I don't really get how they feet too old but I've heard it before. Maybe the clump up in humid climates??

Definitely handle your paper as little as possible. When I cut new paper I get better results than with scraps I've handled several times before. I firmly believe that hand oils rather than static accounts for most stray powder.
I don't live in a humid climate. Where I'm at it's hot and dry most of the year. So I'm thinking it's the heat that killed my old embossing powder . . . and when I say old, I'm talking 10-15 years. It did not clump. Instead, when I melted it, it literally melted into the paper like an oil stain rather than like a plastic finish.

I think you've got a point about hand oils. Even in my mid-50s, I have a very oily T-Zone and I bet I'm transferring some of that to the paper without even thinking about it.

It's interesting that you use a coffee filter for your powders. I've seen others use a plain sheet of copy paper. I have a couple plastic trays, the kind with a funnel on one corner. While they are made for embossing powders and glitter, I think they might be the worst. I get tons of static cling and have to brush out the remainder with a paper towel. I think I'll give the filter/paper a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #38  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
It's interesting that you use a coffee filter for your powders. I've seen others use a plain sheet of copy paper. I have a couple plastic trays, the kind with a funnel on one corner. While they are made for embossing powders and glitter, I think they might be the worst. I get tons of static cling and have to brush out the remainder with a paper towel. I think I'll give the filter/paper a try.
This is so funny � I just bought a tray from a member here, and I prefer it so much more to a piece of paper or coffee filter. I have weak hands and I can't ever seem to get that powder back into the jar without stray grains going all over the place. Even if I have to wipe the tray out afterward, it really does contain the mess so much better for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2015, 11:55 PM   #39  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

I love using my purple trays with the funnel in the middle of one end, and I also have static cling with them. A while ago I began to give the tray a couple of taps and then whatever is still clinging is what gets washed down the drain when I take it to the sink to rinse off. STILL HAVE MORE EP THAN I'LL EVER BE ABLE TO USE IN MY LIFETIME. Sometimes, just sometimes, we might can be a tad too frugal, kwim? Just my loving and respectful 2 cents. xoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2015, 04:24 AM   #40  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Try wiping your tray with a dryer sheet before you use it. That should help with the static. You will probably still have some powder left behind, but not as much. I use coffee filters myself, and there is much less static cling than with paper.
Reply With Quote Likes