Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost my drive to create lately...

I'm not typically a whiner, but I'm a little discouraged with my motivation and drive to create cards lately. I've been engaging in 2 or 3 of the weekly challenges and enjoying that, but this week...zip! I don't know if it's a slump or what...or my season of life.

Do others fall into a slump when a lot is going on their lives and/or stress? I'm hoping that this will pass. I was hoping that doing the challenges would alleviate some of my life's stress and concerns...but this week, the thought of a challenge was just that too challenging.

Words of encouragement would be enormously appreciated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 04:51 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think there's a stamper among us who hasn't gone through what some call 'rubber rot', when nothing seems to inspire us to create. Don't stress too much about it, and before long you'll be back in the swing, probably even better than before!
Sometimes we just need to take a break and step back even from the things we love. We can go back refreshed and inspired after time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I've been going through the same thing. For me I think it's because I want to be outside working in my garden and getting ready for spring/summer things. It's a busy time in my family since my son's a senior too. I've even considered taking my cards out of their retail location! If you knew me you'd know this is shocking!! I usually think about making cards all the time. In a way it's a relief to catch up on some of the other things in my life. I know the cards will still be there when the mood hits. We'll be better than ever looking at things with a fresh eye!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 05:21 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I love the term "rubber rot". I was in the uninspired phrase for almost a year--and now am back to stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've lost my stampin' mojo *well, I hope it's just misplaced, lol*. I am taking a class next weekend and I'm hoping this will be the inspiration that I need to get my groove back on. But I've really have had no desire to create anything, so I'm right there with you. Here's praying that all mojo comes back soo.

Inky Blessings, Sherri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 05:54 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm in a rut right now too, but it's because I've been too busy during the day. I'm a sub for paraeducators in our school district and I've been called to work a lot lately, and when I get home at night I'm too tired to stamp. I figure I'll make up for it this summer and create a lot then.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan_TView Post
I've been going through the same thing. For me I think it's because I want to be outside working in my garden and getting ready for spring/summer things. It's a busy time in my family since my son's a senior too. I've even considered taking my cards out of their retail location! If you knew me you'd know this is shocking!! I usually think about making cards all the time. In a way it's a relief to catch up on some of the other things in my life. I know the cards will still be there when the mood hits. We'll be better than ever looking at things with a fresh eye!
Hi Susan...I think we are on the same vibe. I want to be outside working in my garden and flower garden, as well. Plus son is going to prom-like dance, so we had to buy a suit, tie to match his date's dress, and order a wrist corsage, etc. Then, there will be graduation and then back down to college campus for regisration day and my life seems like it's in an upheaval! Plus, I'm menopausal (it just isn't fair to be menopausal when your only child is leaving the nest!), and my right knee is screaming for total knee replacement (I had the left knee done last September and couldn't face the idea of doing both at the same time...bad decision in retrospect, I'm thinking)...anyway, with all this going on, you'd think that creating a card would be a welcome, relaxing pleasure. NOT!

I miss it though. My heart and spirit is with stamping and cardmaking...but my mind is on overdrive...

I'm hoping it will pass, and for you and everyone else in a slump, too. It's a real drag, that's all I know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

I intentionally put away card making to concentrate 100% of my crafting time and money on scrapbooking. Now I seem to have hit a wall with that, after completing about 50 layouts. Back to cards for a while to get those juices flowing again! Also, I have a little home-decor sewing business now and that really is a nice break from paper, ink and stamps 24/7.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel like this quite often. I have months where I just love stamping and will sit at my desk every night. then sometimes, it just gets to me and I really can't be bothered, and for another couple of months I can't even think about stamping. Then I'll go back to it again. I think we need a break from everything once in a while, so just enjoy a break and when you're ready you'll be into it more than ever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 07:09 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I am so glad to hear this! Not that you are in a slump, but that someone else goes through it! I also feel like there is never enough time for me--I am always going for the kiddos or family.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

All the time, then I get consumed with more guilt when I realize how much crafting stuff I have and how little I use it. Not a good cycle for me to get stuck in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 07:28 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I was having stampers block tonight, so I went back to the first Sketch Challenge and started working from there...I finished 4 of them...It was a good kick start to my creativity...I'll be working my way through the SC's for a while
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I am always losing my stamping mojo. I think it is just the way my brain works. I need constant breaks. I tend to just stamp an image and color it. Or play around with stuff like my cuttlebug or nesties to practice. I don't necessarily make a card when I am not in the stamping mood.

And when ever spring decides to hit Calgary (we are in the middle of a snowstorm right now!) I will be gardening and will be ignoring my stamps almost completely. I have a big garden/yard that demands my attention for at least 6 weeks to whip it into shape for the summer. I used to try to do both hobbies, but just burnt myself out and was not enjoying either.

The other thing I have noticed is that I have to be careful with not ignoring my job over stamping. My job demands a lot of reading to keep up in my industry. I often have to sacrifice stamping (even when in the mood) to do my 'job homework'.

I sometimes wish I could stamp all day, but I wonder how long that would really last?

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2008, 03:37 AM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy HeartView Post
I don't think there's a stamper among us who hasn't gone through what some call 'rubber rot', when nothing seems to inspire us to create. Don't stress too much about it, and before long you'll be back in the swing, probably even better than before!
Sometimes we just need to take a break and step back even from the things we love. We can go back refreshed and inspired after time.
What she said!

Right now I'm in a card-making frenzy, and DH is tapping his foot impatiently for me to catch up on scrapping. He and the boys love the scrapbooks but can't get so excited about all the cards I send overseas (even though DH at least really appreciates my efforts for the troops as he's just retired from the USAF). But every time I try to scrap, I keep thinking of cards I want to make...:rolleyes: .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2008, 04:38 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

I go through this all the time. So much going on in life. I just sit down and make myself do a challenge. I usually find my drive comes back after a few cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2008, 05:29 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I feel like all of my cards look the same lately. I'm in a rut. I usually try to fix this by purchasing new products, but it sometimes just masks the symptoms. ;)

I look at other wonderful creations, and I wonder "How did that person get so much onto the same 5 1/2 by 4 1/4 inch space?"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

WOW! So I'm not the only one in a rut. I've had cardmaking block all this year. It took me a whole week to create one card. Glad to hear that this is something that will hopefully disappear with time. Thanks for sharing.

Blog:http://rincondelencanto.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2008, 09:15 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynamomView Post
All the time, then I get consumed with more guilt when I realize how much crafting stuff I have and how little I use it. Not a good cycle for me to get stuck in.

Lately, I seem to be a collector of stamping stuff and not much of a doer! I bought a bunch of those fancy paper clip things and SU hadgepodge hardware (which I just HAD to have!) and have done absolutely nothing with them. Part of my trouble is that my stuff is a bit unorganized and with all the stuff I keep buying, I am running out of space. Then, to top it off, I made my niece a great birthday card and never sent it.

Do you think I could get away with turning my guest bedroom into a craft room and making my in-laws sleep on the floor when they come to visit?:o Probably not the best option!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Omigosh, I am in SUCH a slump!!! It is good to know that I am not alone. It got so bad a few weeks ago, I renamed my blog ~ "Blame it on the Mojo". LOL! If anyone finds my mojo, would ya please let me know?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Glad its not just me!! I was prescribing it as Spring fever for me!!!

Rubber rot...LOL LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2008, 10:45 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

I was thinking about getting rid of my stamping stuff and then went in the complete opposite direction. I bought some stamps and things that took me out of my boring, comfort zone and forced me to learn some new techniques. It really helped to get me excited about stamping again! Not the cheapest therapy, but it worked!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2008, 10:46 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Same here! I was in a severe slump the last quarter of last year, but I'm feeling better about it. I guess I needed to step away from stamping to truly appreciate it. Maybe another project to work on that has nothing to do with stamping? And now I'm working on a baby shower that's got my juices flowing again. You never know what's going to pull you back in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2008, 12:13 PM   #23  
Sassy Sarcastic Stamper

Ugh, I'm in such a rut too. I have ideas swimming in my head, but absolutely no desire to stamp. I've been making myself stamp some of the challenges, but I really don't want to. Its helped some, but I still feel like I either want to give away or sell all my stuff.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

How nice to know I'm not alone. I hate to think about how much money I have invested in my card room with not much to show for it these days. I used to stamp in the middle of the night when I would wake up with night-sweats and not be able to sleep. Now, I'm sleeping all night long. I'm more rested, but seem unable to stamp. I'm hoping that longer days and baseball season (I just don't like watching or listening to baseball on TV--so I sneak upstairs to my card room) will get me going again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm going through a creative drought right now, too. I just can't seem to put anything reasonably decent together. Looking at fabulous blogs isn't helping, either. I keep comparing myself to other people and *not* measuring up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2008, 01:27 PM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

I go through that all the time!! I just take a break from cards and work on my scrapbooking OR I just do nothing craft related at all for a week or two. I think it's healthy to take a break. I love what I do but it is nice to get pumped up again after a little rest.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2008, 01:31 PM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

I was reading through this thread, and then I had to go back and re-read after some of the comments. I have not really ever separated cardmaking and scrapbooking, I just see them as creative expressions of spirit, or something. Anyhow, when I get in a rut, I either scraplift something from a new magazine or book (I have been known to buy an entire book because there was one neat card technique that I knew I wouldn't remember) or else I join a swap, and get other people's ideas that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #28  
Embossing Fanatic

I think we sometimes need to give ourselves permission to have time away from our crafting - I know that when I am in a bit of a rut (rubber rot, love it!!) I feel guilty that I am not using all my stuff, and end up doing nothing productive at all. When I tell myself it's ok to do something else - read a book, play a game on the computer, watch a movie, whatever, I actually accomplish something because the guilt factor is gone.

HTH!

Niki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2008, 02:00 PM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

I have posted on my blog under blogs and sites I like to visit.. some other blogs with video tutorials that will inspire everyone who sees them. Kwerner's blog and chicnscratch check out them both.. I spent hours watching their videos on youtube.. so much fun and inspiration abound. Pam

http://airbornewifestamping.blogspot.com/

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2008, 02:34 PM   #30  
Mad Swapper

I'll get in a rut, take a break, and then, all of the sudden, I'll start dreaming about making cards. All kinds of great designs and ideas flood my mind. Of course, I forget 1/2 of them when I wake up, but that usually gets me jump-started. Focus on something else and your inspiration will come back!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

I feel like I go through this every week lol!
TSG Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2008, 03:36 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

I think we all get in a rut once in a while. When I get this way I start checking out blogs and get my mojo back.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2008, 04:57 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

RUT?? did someone say RUT?? I am beginning to think that my OB/GYN took my MOJO out with my baby last november!! I should have told him to take the baby out .....NOT my stamping mojo!!

This Newborn Induced Coma that I have been walking around in for 4 months now has ZAPPED every bit of creativity I had!!

What's more depressing is that there are several VERY TALENTED and well known ladies on this site that had their 3rd and 4th babies the same time I had my 4th and they are STILL producing GORGEOUS stuff on a daily basis!!

.....sigh......gotta go wipe, wash, clean, cook, feed, referee,.........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

This happens to me once in a while too. I have found a few things to help -- #1- buying new things gets me trying new stuff
#2- working on small cards - usually 3x3s as they don't usually require quite as much inspiration
#3- case-ing someone's wonderful creation - gets the creative juices flowing
#4- alter something -- keeps me creating even if cards arn't flowing....

hope some of these suggestions help!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 06:46 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by biblesistersmomView Post
Lately, I seem to be a collector of stamping stuff and not much of a doer! ...
That is exactly how I have been feeling! I'm ALWAYS up to buying new stuff...and while I'm picking things out and paying, I think of all these great things I can do with them when I get home - and then...NOTHING! I also daydream all day at work about what I'll create when I get home, and then I get home and I can't seem to get into it. I am definitely in a slump right now and it's nice to have a place like this to talk about it. I've tried 2 different cards this week, that were just complete flops and I threw them out.... I'm going to a stamping convention on Saturday, so I hope to get refreshed there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 08:30 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't look at it as being in a rut- I am simply *percolating* new ideas. The problem is sometimes I percolate for a long LONG time! Usually if I wait it out I come back with a burst of new energy and focus....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I went down to my studio to stamp last night (first time in over a week) and I made 3 cards using this week's challenges and I didn't like any of them. I just wasn't feeling it. Good thing I already have tomorrow's scrapbook class pages done. I hope I get out of my funk in time to come up with next months pages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

Rubber rot -- I'll have to remember that!

I get in a slump a lot. I feel like none of my cards are ever as good as so many of the beautiful ones in the gallery. And then I get discouraged and my mojo goes away. So what's helped is that I stop looking in the gallery for a little while. I read the forums to keep enthusiastic but I don't look at anyone else's work cause I just get sad my cards don't look like that.

Then sometimes what brings me out of it is when I must have a card. Like, right now I really don't feel the Stamping Muse behind me. But I've got to make a Mother's Day card. Kind of like having to take medicine. And I'm hoping that when I'm looking at my papers and stamps and embellishments and actually getting my hands dirty, I'll get enthusiastic about it again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #39  
Compulsive Stamper

I have just resumned stamping after a self imposed 6 m0s hiatus.( I continued to collect though!) I had reached a point that I could not even think about making a card. About a month ago i decided to resume my craft and even though there was a off and on start as to performance- taking 2+ hours to complete a card. Ugh!. I have gotten back to daily stamping and am really enjoying it. I learned some years ago that one cannot force the love, interest and not to dispair but give yourself a holiday, however long it turns out to be-- Mojo will return!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisygirl016View Post
Glad its not just me!! I was prescribing it as Spring fever for me!!!

Rubber rot...LOL LOL
My sentiment exactly! I keep looking through my craft closet to see if perhaps it will inspire me, NOT!
Reply With Quote Likes