Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-25-2021, 06:32 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for recommendations for SU! Starter kit

Hi everyone! So I'm actually a relatively
seasoned stamper...I'm just starting over. I was pretty active here years ago & ended up taking an extended break (very long story). I've really missed this wonderful group though. �

I have a little money to spend from Christmas & thinking my best bet is to get the starter kit from Stampin Up.

Unfortunately over the years I developed severe multiple chemical sensitivity, so I'm unable to buy used anymore (unless by chance it's from a fragrance free home).

Anyway, I'm getting off topic. I recently got a set of knock-off Copic markers & I'm trying to find stamp sets suitable for coloring as those were my favorite stamps to work with.

If you have any suggestions please let me know & feel free to post links to your cards with your favorite stamps suitable for coloring. I've been away so long, I don't even know where to begin. The amount of stuff available now is almost overwhelming.

Also, I think I read Saleabration is coming soon? Would it be better to sign up then?

Thanks for reading. I appreciate any feedback or recommendations.

Last edited by SCEmily; 12-25-2021 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2021, 08:52 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 163 Likes on 80 Posts

It's hard to recommend which stamp sets to get as it depends on what images you like...flowers? scenes? people? animals? Do you like colouring large or small images? However, I can answer your other question. If you sign up during Sale-a-bration, you can choose an extra 2 stamp sets for free (with some exceptions). So definitely worth waiting an extra couple of weeks to join.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
leibetty (12-26-2021)
Old 12-26-2021, 02:53 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 975 Likes on 474 Posts

Another thing to consider is if your focus is to get a discount on your own supplies or to start a business. Your purchasing may look different if you want to keep possible customers in mind.

WELCOME BACK

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2021, 09:07 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I would wait for Saleabration.

Have you looked at their Paper Pumpkin kits? They are cute starter sets to start a collection. I know they have some stamps for coloring. I am not a demo. What I have seen in recent years SU is promoting their “Copic” markers. A lot of he new stamp sets are made for the markers.

Welcome back.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2021, 07:46 AM   #5  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

yes, at this time I would recommend waiting for Saleabration, it starts Jan 4th.
the bonus is 2 extra stamp sets ( in adddition to the $125 for $99)

I would depend on your focus, like are you planning to do classes/ sell or just get discount
and how starting over you really are?
Def I would get the Stamparatus.

when you shop for stamps on the SU site, you can narrow it down to technique ( which coloring is one of the choices)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2021, 08:02 AM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 494 Likes on 273 Posts

If you like coloring, one trick is to google free printable coloring pages. You can find pretty much any subject matter. Then save the page. You can create tiled images (multiple copies of the image) that work for the size cards you make, and print onto cardstock. Some printers have issues with heavy cardstock, so I keep lighter weight cs around to print onto. This whole method is particularly handy when you need a specific image or theme and don't have any stamps that suit.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
lylacfey (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 08:32 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Contrapat I am a printing fiend. I never thought about tiling my “digital stamp” images for printing. I usually lay them out on my canvas and then print. Thank you so much for sharing that tip. That is going to save so much time and paper.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2021, 03:39 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome back, both to SU! (soon) and to SCS.

I think you will find that SCS is way less demo-"intense" than it was years back when it was the "it" (and mostly only) place to be. If you are on FB, there are numerous SU! groups and even some run by Stampin' Up!

Have you also asked your potential upline for advice? Be sure to choose someone who will partner with you and help you along the way.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2021, 05:14 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Hi everyone, thank you all so much for the helpful feedback. A few of you asked what kind of things I prefer to color...again it's been quite a while, but that got me thinking. I started looking at my gallery here & my blog only to realize most of my favorite stamps for coloring weren't actually SU. While a few of them were, I can't help but wonder if I'd be better off with a less pricey brand.

I love Stampin' Up! & they are what started my stamping obsession. I definitely want to purchase from them again, but considering limited funds & trying to get the most for my money has me reconsidering. I'll most likely wait until Sale-a-bration, especially since someone mentioned they are offering more images to color.

I apologize for not responding to each of you individually. I really do appreciate all the feedback though. 😁
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2021, 04:58 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I am on limited funds, love, love, love to color. I have stamps from so many different companies. I still buy a lot of SU. I love their paper, inks & punches.
Lawn Fawn, Doodlebug Designs, EchoPark have the cutest stamps.They are fun to color with alcohol markers. Peek over at Scrapbook.com in their stamping category. You can get a lot of inspiration. Check out CherryOnTop their stamping category. They have new companies that offer beautiful, elegant stamp sets for coloring.
I am not affiliated with these companies. I just like them to find new things & to research new or older items.
Don't forget SimonSaysStamps for inspiration too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2021, 05:16 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Ok that helped. I looked at your gallery.

House Mouse is still around and you can get them either direct or from Stampendous. In cling they are much cheaper.

Big flowers..oh my...they are everywhere! We live in a virtual stamp garden world! There are the mondos over at Ellen Hutson...there are a bunch at Simon Says Stamps, there is Power Poopy who has some the prettiest I have seen...but she is shifting to digi-I dont know if you can do that but there is still some rubber there...I picked up some that were 6 x 6 backgrounds last year. Lovely ones came out. You could look at Altenew-she never stops running sales.

For cute characters you could look at Trinity stamps, Whimsy, Lawn Fawn...

Gnomes have been hot for over a year now so you will see a lot of that. Slimline also...plus the mini slimline. (slimline fit in a standard #10 business envie)

Layering stencils and stamps another big one. I am liking the optical illusion stencils myself. If it makes your eyes cross I probably like it LOL

Your timing is good. Many companies are running deep clearance to make way for 2022.

You have two more days at Kraftin Kimmie for her sale (and it is Canadian so Paypal does the conversion...my recent order I saved an additional 22%-well worth the little fee)

Gina Marie always has great prices on dies...BUT...she also sells some stamps. Some new and some from her private collection used. You did say you cant do used but I would still look-great prices!

Look HERE in the Sell/Buy-you can get great prices on SU products. A lot of it is new!

Also if you surf the gallery here-people are supposed to list what they used as you will remember, so if you see a card you like check out the supply list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2021, 02:58 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Initially, I wouldn’t have even looked at the Stampin Up “Kits” (Paper Pumpkin, others) and would have thought “I can get the ideas flowing—-I don’t need a kit.” Fast forward to today. LOVE LOVE LOVE the kits. They give you everything you need to get your project started, then I do my own alterations and add my own creativity. I think the kits are the best value out there! And…..(example) with Paper Pumpkin you typically get a stamp set and one or two inks for future use. A great way to stretch your dollars, especially if on a limited budget!

Also, check eBay. LOTS LOTS LOTS of Stampin Up (and other brands) for stamps, paper, etc. At a fraction of the cost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2022, 03:53 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you all so much for the fantastic suggestions. Sorry I haven't been on here in a few days to see the replies.

I ended up waiting to see what I could get with the Sale A Bration, and was pleasantly surprised to find I could get quite a bit for the money, especially considering the two free stamp sets & a Paper Patch kit. My main focus was initially stamps, but I'm so excited to get back into card making, so with the sale, I was able to get most of what I need to get started again! 😁

I really appreciate all of the wonderful suggestions for companies to check out for coloring! I will definitely check those out.

As far as buying used, I'd love to, but that's generally not something I can do. I have such a severe sensitivity to fragrances that most used items smell so strongly of laundry detergent or perfume that I get a massive migraine. Often times I have the same issue with new items, depending on the fragrances used by the workers touching the items. It's unfortunate, because I love a bargain.
Reply With Quote Likes