Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-15-2014, 10:35 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Money Saver Longest Spending Freeze

What has been your longest spending freeze???

I ask this because when I started papercrafting; it was mainly for scrapbooking. I had to have the latest and greatest products. As soon as I discovered stamping and cardmaking; my funds were turned to building up a stash of stamps.

Trends come and go I know. I just feel so out of sorts to be on a spending freeze when it is for the good of our current financial situation.

Anyone else been thorugh or is going through a spending freeze now? I would love any comments of encouragement and insight.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, I'm on a spending freeze. It's really horrible but it will be worth it in the end, and I just keep reminding myself that someday (hopefully not too far in the future!) I'll be able to get more lovely goodies

Keep up the good work scorpiobaby!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2014, 12:04 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I once declared "no-buy July" and actually stuck to it - but when August came WHOA BABY. My husband and I have an arrangement - we each get an "allowance" that is ours to spend however we want. The amount of the allowance has gone up and down over time, depending on our financial situation.

If you are trying not to spend on the crafty stuff, though, my best recommendation is to stay out of the craft stores and away from stamping blogs. A lot of the blogs out there are authored by design team members - and part of their job is to make you want to buy what they are using. If you don't see all the new things out there, you'll be less likely to feel deprived. Work with your stash; look at your stamps in new ways.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I was on a spending freeze from January 2013 till now! I had a change in my finances and it was a forced freeze. I lived through it, but I'm glad to have a great new job that will give me more spending freedom. I found I had plenty and had fun using what I had. It was freeing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,391 Likes on 521 Posts

I find the best way to be content with what I have is to not look at new things. If I don't know it is out there, then I don't want it. This is why I do not go to the malls or look online much. I have never had a spending problem since I like to save but I noticed that after going to a mall, I would leave deeply discontent and unsettled. It hit me one day that that feeling came from seeing so many new, trendy, and fashonable things and feeling like what I had just wasn't good enough anymore. So I avoid the mall and shopping and I am happier and content. I love shopping from what I have! It also saves a LOT of time (more time for crafting!) and money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

The best way for me to be happy with what I have is to turn the pages of my stamp index. I get so many ideas just from looking at the pictures of the lovely things that I already own that I forget that there's more (LOTS more!) that's available if I go looking... If you're looking at what you HAVE, you won't be focusing on what you DON'T.

And - until I joined a hostess club - I could/would go months and months without buying anything at all..

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Happiness isn't having what you want it is wanting what you have.

I try to apply this to all areas of my life. As far as new trendy crafting items, I love to see what is new and then challenge myself to get the same look or shape or result or whatever from the supplies I have. I feel guilty if I copy someones card, but I feel really good if I use their inspiration and my supplies to create something all mine. I find I spend less and enjoy it more when I stick to using what I have and only purchasing/replacing items I use up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to admit that I don't have any willpower - with just about anything - food, shoes, clothes, yarn, craft supplies. The one thing that keeps me in check is that my house is sooooo small that I can't possibly fit one more thing in it. I have been good lately and have been using the supplies and sending gifts out and I start back to work in another week, so I won't have time to go shopping. Work is the best way I know how to curb my spending because it just sucks the life out of me and I don't feel like doing anything when I get home. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2014, 07:28 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel like I am nearly constantly on a spending freeze, but it's because I want to be, not because I have to be. I let loose about twice a year, once in March when the stamping expo comes to town and there's an annual stamp yard sale the week after, and then again near November, when I am buying presents for others, I feel okay loosening the wallet for myself as well. In between, I buy all the stuff I need (adhesive, envelopes) but not really stuff I want (more stamps). Each time I see stamps I want, I ask "do I want to spend the money on this or on the upcoming bill of ...?" That's enough to make me not buy the stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2014, 09:25 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

My longest spending freeze was 18 months to almost a 2 year period. It was after my son was born. Since than I have a monthly budget.

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2014, 10:50 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think my longest streak was 2 days...no willpower but lots of stamps and dies.....lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I built my stamp collection up by filling in gaps - "baby" "nature" "cars""school" etc... not by buying into a brand. So now I look at how to use it. Yup I have a wishlist as long as my arm, but as I already have a year of flowers from one manufacturer I don't really need to duplicate that from another (as much as I would LOVE too).

I noticed in my Youtube subs that there is a trend toward white heat embossing flowers on watercolor cardstock and dropping in watercolor. Got it. Don't need to buy a single thing to do it, although admittedly did recently invest in a couple of watercolor kits but they will last me years!!!

Also Art Journaling is a really good way to use what you have.

Last edited by RiverIsis; 08-16-2014 at 07:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2014, 08:17 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I built my stamp collection up by filling in gaps - "baby" "nature" "cars""school" etc... not by buying into a brand. So now I look at how to use it. Yup I have a wishlist as long as my arm, but as I already have a year of flowers from one manufacturer I don't really need to duplicate that from another (as much as I would LOVE too).

I noticed in my Youtube subs that there is a trend toward white heat embossing flowers on watercolor cardstock and dropping in watercolor. Got it. Don't need to buy a single thing to do it, although admittedly did recently invest in a couple of watercolor kits but they will last me years!!!

Also Art Journaling is a really good way to use what you have.
I agree! I used to buy things just because I liked the way they looked, without giving any thought to how I would actually use it. Now when I'm considering a purchase, it has to pass several tests: Does it fill a gap in my stash? Do I have at least three ideas for how it will actually get used? Do I have something that will accomplish the same "look", without investing in more stuff? If I answer these TRUTHFULLY (no rationalizing allowed) and still feel the need to buy the whatever-it-is, then I will do it. Sometimes I have to let things incubate for a week or month or year before I determine if it still needs to be mine (of course, sales and retiring lists shorten the incubation period dramatically - the other tests still apply...)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2014, 09:36 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I envision how i will actually USE something, do i have something similar, etc. and not by because it's pretty or cute. I keep a wish list percolating on an excel list and add and subtract from it. I go several months without anything other than consumables. I've been to our new Hobby Lobby twice this summer and not bought one single thing. Same with Joann's and Michael's. It helps that our stores are small with seldom updated stock except for holiday junk!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

For me, the longest spending freeze was earlier this year when my husband got sick and I went on FMLA leave to care for him. We weren't sure how the finances were going to work out, so we really tightened up our budget everywhere. He's better, I'm back to work, and I've gone craft shopping once or twice since then.

I learned one rule that works for me years ago from a scrapbooking site: for every dollar the item costs, I need to find that many ways or instances to use the item. So if a stamp set costs $20, I ask myself, "Am I going to use this set at least 20 times?" If the answer is no, then I don't buy it. Same goes for papers, inks, tools, - almost everything except adhesives. It's really helped me stay clear of short-lived trends and fad ideas.
Malachi 3:10 "See if I will not throw open the floodgates of heavenand pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it"

I joined the Fan Club!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSnowView Post
For me, the longest spending freeze was earlier this year when my husband got sick and I went on FMLA leave to care for him. We weren't sure how the finances were going to work out, so we really tightened up our budget everywhere. He's better, I'm back to work, and I've gone craft shopping once or twice since then.

I learned one rule that works for me years ago from a scrapbooking site: for every dollar the item costs, I need to find that many ways or instances to use the item. So if a stamp set costs $20, I ask myself, "Am I going to use this set at least 20 times?" If the answer is no, then I don't buy it. Same goes for papers, inks, tools, - almost everything except adhesives. It's really helped me stay clear of short-lived trends and fad ideas.
I think the dollar rule is something I remember JoanB saying that she uses, as well - good philosophy!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2014, 05:14 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSnowView Post
I do something similar with craft stuff, and also for clothing - if I buy something good quality that lasts a long time and I will wear it often, it is more economical than a cheap quality item that I only wear once or twice and then looks terrible.

It's a good policy! Being a conscious consumer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2014, 06:51 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

My longest spending freeze was seven months. I looked at a disaster of a craft room, stuff stacked everywhere, dangerous to walk across the floor, and the only way I was going to alleviate the situation was to start using what I had, stop buying, and clean up. I also sew/quilt. I found the cheap felt Christmas stockings for seven cents a piece at a after holiday closeout years ago. Of course I had to buy 75 of them. Grandsons have progressed beyond the stocking phase for a school party, so I put pretty decorative stitching, nicer ribbon hanger, found other holiday kiddo stuff to put in the stockings I found stashed away in a drawer, and donated to one of the boy's former Kindergarten teacher. Cleaned out a box and a drawer.

I was proud to make the little children's party a bit nicer, and used up stashed small snippets of ribbon, and cleaned out space. A win/win situation.
I like happy endings. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2014, 09:41 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been on a spending freeze for about six months but it is because I have already spent so much on papers that have gone unused and stamps that have never seen ink. I created a new challenge for myself. I went through and typed out the names of all my stamps/stamp sets and printed them out on bright pink paper. Then I listed all my punches and die cuts and printed them on bright yellow paper. Then I listed all my embellishments and printed them out on blue paper. Everything then got cut into strips and sorted into sandwich bags. Now when I need "something new" I draw one strip of each color out of the bags and have to make a card that contains those items. I can add extras but those items must be present on the card. Kind of like my own Chopped challenge! It has really forced me to use up what I have!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2014, 04:01 AM   #20  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I looked at my stash of supplies - and while no where near what some have - still it was a shock to see what I had and I kept buying. Plus I had stamps that I never even inked yet but still kept buying more. What was the point? So I decided that was it - no more buying stuff. I've pretty much kept to that for a few years now. I do buy things from time to time - but mostly it's what is truly needed. For example once a year I go to a store where they sell cardstock by the pounds and have envelopes very reasonably priced - so I stock up. I buy tape once a year. Yes, both these are pretty big purchases at the time - usually spend $50-75 on cardstock and then the tape this past January costs $130...but I still have over HALF the tape and it's mid-August! When I figured out what I was paying buying the little runners as compared to buying a bulk purchase for my ATG gun, well, it was a no brainer. As for paper - I have so much I still need to use. When I get low on it though - I will buy some more. And stamps - well, I have so many that haven't seen ink that it's a shame to buy any. If there is something that I really really need and don't have - then I will look for a free digi on Pinterest or somewhere. Embellies for me are basically ribbon and buttons - and I have plenty. I guess what I'm saying is that I have curbed trying to keep up with what everyone else has or what the companies tell us are the must haves...and I've learned to be content with what I have. It has seriously helped put the cost of the fun craft into check.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I have read so many threads about spending freezes, not spending till I use what I have, and money problems.

I just don't understand or I am just different with the way I handle my finances.

On the 1st and the 15th of every month I balance the check book, pay all bills, go grocery shopping and purchase personal items for everyone and make sure my kids have needs meet. Also gas up two cars.

Then I look at what I have left for until next payday, how much money do I need for additional gas and food items or an emergency. . Then I look at what I have let for fun, either lunch out with the kids or hubby and fun money for all-or allowance for the kids.

I have NEVER put myself on a "Spending Freeze" for my crafts. If I am in want of something for crafting-new stamps, I think about the set for a while. I never "run out" to get that "New release" because I have found in the past that many companies have similar sets, so I shop around.

If I have the money to spend on crafting or other stuff, then I do. If it is a tight month, then I don't. That the term I use with my kids, teenagers now but always used the term "tight month" or we have a "new bill to pay off".

I have never used and will never use "Spending Freeze" as a term of not being able to afford a want purchase.

I guess I just don't understand others spending to such amounts as going in debit with a craft or spending so much that they have enough stash if there is a Zombie Apocalypse.

Guess that is another reason why the big box stores are cutting back on scrapping/stamping stock. Such a "rush" of over zealous shoppers a couple of years ago, now are not shopping for crafting supplies because they have so much stash.

When one lives on one paycheck, one has to be very careful of one's purchases. If one has more money to spend, great.

But right now the best shopping for Our Craft is now internet only. It is sad that LSS have all but gone and big box stores don't supply decent stock or a variety of current items. I have found my spending on craft supplies has decrease quit a bit because of this.

Only internet store that have decent shipping is usually the small independent companies.

Larger stores have such high shipping it is ridiculous. For instance, this past December I looking to place an order with spellbinders for new dies I can't get locally. For 2 dies shipping was I think $10. Nope, sorry, I can live without them. Also my favorite stamp company is Whipper Snapper. Have not ordered from them in like 2 years. Their unmounted stamps prices have gone up to. So if I order 4-5 unmounted stamps, shipping over $50 is $8.95-Seriously for 4-5 unmounted rubber stamps.

Well, this is my 2 cents so don't get offended.

Last edited by lesliespringer; 08-19-2014 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Maybe an hour!LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I certainly cut myself back a couple of years ago but like Leslie, it is more good habits and choices. Do I really need this? I shop for everything this way and I am not an impulse shopper at all. I don't have a lot of clothes; not because I don't like them, but because I usually can't justify them.

I buy cardstock when necessary. I have a lot of stamps sets and may buy one or two new ones a year. It has to have a lot of uses in my head before I buy it. I was fortunate to host a couple very lucrative stamping workshops every year for 6 or 8 years and that is primarily how I built my horde. Lots of freebies and discounts. I picked the stamp sets I loved, not what was the trend.
As a result I still like nearly all the sets I have, I have gotten rid of only a few over the years. Choose classic over trendy.

I also tend to repurpose ribbon, buttons, embellishments of all kinds when I can. I just haven't needed to buy many crafting supplies for a long time.

TIP** are you a lover of coloured rhinestones and pearls? I am, I adore them. So I bought a pack of 36 coloured Sharpies and one pack each of pearls and rhinestones and colour what I want when I want them. Works beautifully. I gave my daughter all my purchased coloured ones (before I learned about the Sharpies trick) to get her rolling in embellishments and we're all happy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

[QUOTE=cardmaker2;20728656]I certainly cut myself back a couple of years ago but like Leslie, it is more good habits and choices. Do I really need this? I shop for everything this way and I am not an impulse shopper at all. I don't have a lot of clothes; not because I don't like them, but because I usually can't justify them.

I buy cardstock when necessary. I have a lot of stamps sets and may buy one or two new ones a year. It has to have a lot of uses in my head before I buy it. I was fortunate to host a couple very lucrative stamping workshops every year for 6 or 8 years and that is primarily how I built my horde. Lots of freebies and discounts. I picked the stamp sets I loved, not what was the trend.
As a result I still like nearly all the sets I have, I have gotten rid of only a few over the years. Choose classic over trendy.

I also tend to repurpose ribbon, buttons, embellishments of all kinds when I can. I just haven't needed to buy many crafting supplies for a long time.

TIP** are you a lover of coloured rhinestones and pearls? I am, I adore them. So I bought a pack of 36 coloured Sharpies and one pack each of pearls and rhinestones and colour what I want when I want them. Works beautifully. I gave my daughter all my purchased coloured ones (before I learned about the Sharpies trick) to get her rolling in embellishments and we're all happy [/QUOTE]

Heard that you can color with copics on pearls and rhinestones. Have you tried this??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Copics and sharpies (and alcohol ink) are all alcohol based so should work. I have never been happy with the results when I have done it. Maybe I am overworking it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneyrocketView Post
I have been on a spending freeze for about six months but it is because I have already spent so much on papers that have gone unused and stamps that have never seen ink. I created a new challenge for myself. I went through and typed out the names of all my stamps/stamp sets and printed them out on bright pink paper. Then I listed all my punches and die cuts and printed them on bright yellow paper. Then I listed all my embellishments and printed them out on blue paper. Everything then got cut into strips and sorted into sandwich bags. Now when I need "something new" I draw one strip of each color out of the bags and have to make a card that contains those items. I can add extras but those items must be present on the card. Kind of like my own Chopped challenge! It has really forced me to use up what I have!
Brilliant idea! I love it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Copics and sharpies (and alcohol ink) are all alcohol based so should work. I have never been happy with the results when I have done it. Maybe I am overworking it.
It works better if you kind of dab-dab-dab the pen over the pearl or rhinestone. If you try coloring it on, the pen starts erasing what you already colored with it, and it gets streaky.

It also works better on the smaller jewels - less streaking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpiobabyView Post
What has been your longest spending freeze???

I ask this because when I started papercrafting; it was mainly for scrapbooking. I had to have the latest and greatest products. As soon as I discovered stamping and cardmaking; my funds were turned to building up a stash of stamps.

Trends come and go I know. I just feel so out of sorts to be on a spending freeze when it is for the good of our current financial situation.

Anyone else been thorugh or is going through a spending freeze now? I would love any comments of encouragement and insight.
2 years and counting, although I am going to have to get some basics( card stock) soon). like you, I decided I had too much crap that wasn't being used so why buy more? just moved, and unpacking I found an entire shoe box of stamped images, so I have no reason to buy any more stamps any time soon. I also found about 50 holiday cards already made up so nope.. don't need anew stamp set this year like usual either.

I find that if you go in together on bulk buys( envelops, Tombow, etc) it costs less over all and lasts longer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
It works better if you kind of dab-dab-dab the pen over the pearl or rhinestone. If you try coloring it on, the pen starts erasing what you already colored with it, and it gets streaky.

It also works better on the smaller jewels - less streaking.
Yes, true thanks for explaining that. I also have a Kleenex handy to dab off the top as I go, it helps take away any streakiness if done immediately.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you for these great ideas! Especially the dollar rule and selecting items that I already own for a sort of personal mini-challenge. Love it!

As a newbie here, watching the tutorials, reading the threads, and finding out about all this new stuff I never even knew existed... I can just see the $$$ in my own eyes. I can't actually spend that money - so I've created an extensive wishlist of things that I hope my family will find useful come Holidays and birthdays.

I may treat myself to a Gelli thing - because that just looks way too cool and I do already have some acrylic paints at home. But, otherwise I'm going to take these ideas to heart and spend some time 'shopping' in my own stash. With the help of these excellent tutorials and the gallery of beautiful card ideas - I bet I can stretch these out for some time.

Good luck to all the savers out there! We can do it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #31  
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Received 379 Likes on 324 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I think the dollar rule is something I remember JoanB saying that she uses, as well - good philosophy!
I use that rule, too! Love it!
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things, or make them unimportant. - The Eleventh Doctor
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't put myself on a freeze. It's like dieting - as soon as I would try I was instantly hungry and the same with the freeze, it makes me want everything.

I don't impulse buy and I don't fall for the holy grail (latest item). I did a major craft purge and I still have a lot from years of buying too much but now I love and use what I have because I don't hoard. I also don't replace anything unless I know I'll use it (tape, glue, etc.)

I rarely go to the big box stores. I don't buy because I have a coupon (40% off is still 60% on) and I buy mostly online when I see something I want and know that I will use it.

I haven't regretted a craft purchase in a long time because I'm very selective about what I want in my craft room. Another factor is that I have an annual craft garage sale and this year I made about $700. I'm still spending that money so of course it's guilt free.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2014, 11:19 PM   #33  
Kookie Creator

As Leslie says, the less we spend, the quicker the craft stores and suppliers will close down, so don't cut back too much or we will soon find there is nothing left to buy when we want to!

One thing to to aware of - a free digi on Pinterest or Google is very often stolen from a digi artist struggling to make a living.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2014, 05:23 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I found SCS I could go extended periods without spending anything. Basically, I purchased during SAB and at a big local-ish stamp expo in spring. That was it.

This site has "enabled" me. Some of that has been good. I have been more inspired and made many more cards once I found SCS. But, I have also found many more products that I want. It doesn't help that I also signed up as a SU demo. I told myself I was only signing up to get a complete set of the new style foam ink pads at discount, but here it is much later and I'm still making my minimums mostly by myself.

And now I'm a little overwhelmed by all of the new stuff I added recently. My storage space has been redesigned a few times and I'm still overflowing on certain things. I also have a stack of items I've purchased in the last 6 months that I haven't yet cataloged and added to my storage space. I really need to stop, yet last night I used a coupon code to buy some more things at SSS. LOL.

Maybe it's time for me to start a buying freeze, and take a good hard look at some of the items I'm not using. I have a hard time parting with stamp sets and paper, because I might find the perfect use for them some day, but I definitely have some items that I'm not even sure why I purchased.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #35  
Embossing Fanatic

There is a new challenge blog sitting in this thread just waiting (and screaming to be let out). I have wished for one a few times.

Something with a retro theme perhaps?

You can't use anything younger than 6 months old maybe?

There isn't anything wrong with older craft supplies, it's just that no one else seems to be using them any more - maybe a gathering place where they're all let loose again would be a fun thing to do?

My Flickr Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I like your idea Kerilyn!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I love the wish list feature. . That way I can think about the purchase for a few days.

Jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2014, 05:04 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowdreamView Post
There is a new challenge blog sitting in this thread just waiting (and screaming to be let out). I have wished for one a few times.

Something with a retro theme perhaps?

You can't use anything younger than 6 months old maybe?

There isn't anything wrong with older craft supplies, it's just that no one else seems to be using them any more - maybe a gathering place where they're all let loose again would be a fun thing to do?
I hope I am understanding this wrong. But are you including stamps in this thinking, or just embellishments, punches and such. There is another thread on old stamping supplies that is going around. Might want to look at that thread.

But for stamps are you indicating that my 33 Penny Black stamps, 50 Whipper Snapper stamps, 13 Flourishes stamp sets (company is no longer in business) and 50 retired SU sets are old and no one uses these any more?

Just because these stamps/sets have not been released in the last 6 months does not mean they are out of date.

If so then you can consider me an out dated stamper. Because I do not have the money, space or willpower to continuously buy stamps/set to be considered "IN".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #39  
Embossing Fanatic

Hi Leslie,

I do think you misunderstood me. I was simply saying that most challenge blogs are places where people play with lots of new things (and certainly the intention of some is to showcase the new). I think it would be fun to have a challenge where people focused on what they love and already have.

I apologise if my term "no one" offended you, as it wasn't mean in a derogatory way at all, neither was it all inclusive. It was an over-generalisation.

I'm merely aware that people can feel quite a bit of pressure to purchase new things and thought there may be a fun, encouraging, creative way for some people to work together to relieve that pressure.

My Flickr Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2014, 06:47 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowdreamView Post
Hi Leslie,

I do think you misunderstood me. I was simply saying that most challenge blogs are places where people play with lots of new things (and certainly the intention of some is to showcase the new). I think it would be fun to have a challenge where people focused on what they love and already have.

I apologise if my term "no one" offended you, as it wasn't mean in a derogatory way at all, neither was it all inclusive. It was an over-generalisation.

I'm merely aware that people can feel quite a bit of pressure to purchase new things and thought there may be a fun, encouraging, creative way for some people to work together to relieve that pressure.
A lot of challenge blogs are run by DTs. A lot aren't. I think there is a general movement (except for those that need you to buy to stay in business etc.) to use what you have.

Here's a few you might like Muse and CAS(E) this Sketch! and http://casology.blogspot.com/

I will say that if you already own stamps by a company and participate in their challenges, that normally it doesn't seem to matter if your stamps are current. But then again those might only be the ones I have done.

Last edited by RiverIsis; 08-23-2014 at 06:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes