Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-19-2010, 06:26 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Living in an RV

My husband and I recently retired and are heading out in our RV for a 4 month trip. I didn't bring any of my crafting supplies and am starting to regret it. My problem is I wanted to bring everything I own and there just isn't enough storage room for everything.

My questions is, does anyone else live in their RV and, if so, how do you store your supplies and how much stuff do you take with you?
Teri
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 06:31 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't have any advise on that but wanted to say. Wow how cool of a trip is that. Have fun! Where all are you going?

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 06:41 AM   #3  
Glitter Queen

I was wondering the same thing! My fiance and I are in the process of planning our life living and traveling in an RV! I will be waiting anxiously for a reply. What about all of the craft exhibitors at all of those craft fairs? What do they do with their craft supplies while they are traveling from one show to the next? Very curious!

Have a great day!
Carrie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Sorry, I don't have any advice, either. I just wanted to say how envious I am! My husband and I did try our hand at delivering RV's, but it didn't last long thanks to the economy. That was before I got back into stamping, though. Still, as fun as I think stamping is----I'd trade it for traveling in a second!

I want to buy everything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I am not traveling right now, but we have a vintage camper (avion) that I am using for my creative space. I have a rolling tote that carries my basic supplies (paper cutter, markers, a few ink pads, etc.). I have other supplies in plastic storage bins I keep in the closet area and under the beds.

When we have travelled in the past I usually take a journal if I don't have room for more supplies. I also precut card stock so I can make a few cards along the way. It is much harder to be creative with limited supplies, but it is worse to be without any supplies at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 07:54 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeriMccView Post
My husband and I recently retired and are heading out in our RV for a 4 month trip. I didn't bring any of my crafting supplies and am starting to regret it. My problem is I wanted to bring everything I own and there just isn't enough storage room for everything.

My questions is, does anyone else live in their RV and, if so, how do you store your supplies and how much stuff do you take with you?
Teri
I've heard of some peeps having custom shelving and storage built precisely for such a situation, but I haven't SEEN it.

This is something the Mister and I would like to do when he retires, so I'm anxious to know what advice anyone who is/has done this offers to you! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Though I've never traveled in an RV, I would think the key is preplanning. Try to think of projects you can do and prep as much ahead of time as possible.

When we go on our summer vacation, I bring along all the card kits that I've accumulated, my basic tool kit,small paper trimmer and my Copics. That way, I have crafts available and am forced to use what I have. My goal is to return home with finished cards and I always do!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Ladies..

Well this is the thread for me!! Dh and I just bought a travel trailer.. about a month ago and plan to move into it, this upcoming weekend. My dh is in the military so we are moving from Texas to Washington. We decided to move into the trailer a month before we actually leave Texas so that our stuff has time to arrive there etc..

I am VERY excited about this adventure because when looking for a travel trailer I was looking for one that had a bit of storage for my hobby. I am a stay at home housewife so during the day I like to craft. I am in the process of deciding which supplies to take etc.. So far what I have done is this...

Cut alot of DSP to 6 x 6 and put in a cardboard paper holder I made
I love unmounted or clear stamps because they take up so much less space, so I have some PTI, SU, CC Designs etc.. in the SU dvd cases that fit into a small seagrass basket..
I will take a couple sheets of colored cardstock in SU and PTI colors, but plan to use White as my card bases..
A small amount of matching embellishments & ink pads
And a container with my copics & prismacolor pencils.. I love to color!

Then I will just take my paper trimmer, big shot and nesties. I am very fortunate that my trailer has an area where I will actually have my very own craft desk!!! So All the above will fit on my desk or in the 2 cabinets above my desk.

Once I move into it.. I will take some pics and show ya!! I just knew I couldnt go 2 months without ANY crafting supplies and DH wouldnt want me to either because he knows it would make HIS life miserable...LMBO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

This is what we want to do when we retire, too. I am trying to figure out how to transport a whole craft room with me - a trailer to pull behind the travel trailer?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm very comfortable with the computer, so for myself, I think a lot of my papers would be digital and then I would just be printing off the patterned papers I want to use. That way I could bring thousands of patterned papers with me and it wouldn't take anymore space than my laptop.

Until I was laid off a month ago, my husband and I were planning a long trip down to Tuscon, AZ (We're in Calgary so its a long drive) and I was starting to wonder how I would handle only having limited supplies. Mind you, we were only going to be gone for a month. I have hundreds of prestamped/printed digi images that I thought would be the time to colour and with limited supplies get a few cards done.

Sounds like your going to have a wonderful time, even if you don't have all your crafting supplies. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 09:25 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 490 Likes on 308 Posts

We don't own an RV but for a laugh I thought I would share with you my requirements for traveling in one. I have told these to DH and he laughs but says ok. it is not beyond the realm of possibility that we will travel that way soon.

The RV will not have a kitchen. It will have counter space and a small fridge. I will take an electric skillet and a crockpot(with liners). If it can't be cooked in those, we won't eat it. That opens up storage for craft supplies(where the stove/oven would be, etc.
Our RV will have room to sleep at least four but only beds for two. That opens up space for storing craft/hobby supplies too.
Crazy....not really....stamping and photography equipment take first dibs on space. I figure you can always stop and buy clothes or other necessities? Right?????

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Carole (TruCaMar) had some great advise for traveling with supplies. Here is the link to her blog. http://motherslittlehelper.typepad.com/
It was a while ago, so you may have to a little searching. Sorry that is the best I can do right now.
jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Jennifer-I can't wait to see pictures of your RV.

The funny thing is, I have to see all my stuff in order to get any ideas! So, I can't really imagine a card and bring stuff for that card.

I'm thinking this will be a great opportunity to check out local craft stores in the different states we'll be in. I figure, if I buy something, I'll have to find room for it!
Teri

Last edited by TeriMcc; 04-19-2010 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Quote:

Teri

I don't live in a RV. but dh and I go camping a lot. I always take my stamping stuff with me.

This way if I get bored. I can stamp.

We have a Slide in Truck camper...Totally not a lot of extra space. But I make it work.

Since I use mostly unmounted stamps. I can carry a lot of stamps with me.

I have a rolling cart that I can carry Card stock, tools, Ribbon, Cutters, Copic Markers,. and a Paper Taker that holds my 12x12 Designer Paper. and I also take my cuttlebug with my nesties and embossing folder.

The rolling cart fit's nicely under the dining table, and the Paper take and cuttlebug will fit into the closet.

I try to take enough stuff with me for the time we are gone. Usually about 2 weeks. We also pull a little trailer behind our truck for extra things like Clothes. Bikes, tools, propane, tent,.
Attached Thumbnails
Living in an RV-truckcamper-trailer.jpg  

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Jennifer-I can't wait to see pictures of your RV.

The funny thing is, I have to see all my stuff in order to get any ideas! So, I can't really imagine a card and bring stuff for that card

I'm thinking this will be a great opportunity to check out local craft stores in the different states we'll be in. I figure, if I buy something, I'll have to find room for it!
Teri
Im the same way.. so I am trying to bring just a little bit of lots of things.. hehehe!

I should have pictures after we move into it this weekend
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 10:39 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I haven't traveled by RV either, but one thing that popped into my head was "take stuff to color!" Maybe you could spend some time before the trip stamping some images - various themes and "feels" to them - and then take your markers and/or colored pencils. That way you could sort through your stamped images for inspiration (instead of your paper/embellies) and then spend a lot of time coloring rather than creating/assembling. Also, you could pick some great basic colors of cardstock to take with and color to match when you want, contrast when you want, etc.

Just a thought...

Sounds like a great trip that you have planned. While I'm not sure about that long in an RV for me, I can say that I'm VERY jealous of all that time that you're going to get to spend with your DH!

Safe travels!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I don't live in an RV. I would think if I were going to, I would invest in a storage system that would allow me to take most of my stuff with me. Even though I have my own room, I still don't have that much. I think I could get my supplies in to the right tool box type set up. I might have to live without my Expression, but I think it would be do able...

My grandparents used to live in one of those trailers with the pop-outs. My grandmother quilts and was able to bring her all her essentials and still have it look spotless. If I remember right she even brought a bunch of her porcelain dolls. It was kinda crazy.

I think planning ahead is the key.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 11:30 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessmeshelleView Post
I don't live in an RV. I would think if I were going to, I would invest in a storage system that would allow me to take most of my stuff with me. Even though I have my own room, I still don't have that much. I think I could get my supplies in to the right tool box type set up. I might have to live without my Expression, but I think it would be do able...

My grandparents used to live in one of those trailers with the pop-outs. My grandmother quilts and was able to bring her all her essentials and still have it look spotless. If I remember right she even brought a bunch of her porcelain dolls. It was kinda crazy.

I think planning ahead is the key.

Totally! It may be another 10 years down the road, but I'm scheming--ahem, err PLANNING--right now. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
Totally! It may be another 10 years down the road, but I'm scheming--ahem, err PLANNING--right now. ;)
Julie

I love your cards and your blog!! I hope to meet you one day after I move to Washington :p It would be such a thrill!!! I LOVE A Muse!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

We've owned our trailer for 5 years, so I know the space constraints you likely face. I think what I would do is this:

First off, realize that my cards, while travelling, probably won't be as complex as they might be while made at home.

From there, I would:

(1) Use white CS for bases
(2) Find one or two 8x8" paper packs with lots of different designs you like in it;
(3) Bring along coordinating CS, stampin spots, and markers that match the color themes in the above paper pack;
(4) Bring the reinkers to those same stampin spots;
(5) Bring either a Pretties kit (which you can use the reinkers to color) or make your own small pretties kit with an assortment of buttons, small flowers, brads (and hole punch), bling, ribbons to match the chosen color themes.
(6) I've never used the Ultimate Crafter's Companion but it sounds like that would also be a good choice to bring (has a cutter, ribbon maker, envelope maker, embossing, and other things I think)
(7) A flower punch, corner rounder and a versatile border punch (like scallops);
( Stardust Stickles
(9) Colored pencils, Gamsol or mineral oil, and tortillons/blending stumps
(10) A good pair of fine point scissors, a ruler, adhesive, stamp cleaner and scrubber pad;
(11) Pop dots and/or glue dots;
(12) 3-5 sets of stamps that are very versatile. After looking through all of my sets, the sets I came up with that I think could be the most versatile, either on their own or with each other, were Loads of Love, Tags & More, Nice & Easy Notes, Pun Fun, Lovely as a Tree, Herb Expressions, Greetings Galore, Fun & Fast Notes, Curvy Verses, Congrats, Button or Bow Bear, Birthday Banter, or All Year Cheer I. I am sure there are many others, but these are ones I came up with fairly quickly. You can use the sentiments or the pics on these sets either together or separate. Your color choices would also help to determine which of these would be most useful to you.
(13) Sterilite makes foot-tall containers with blue clip on lids that I thing you could store almost everything listed here in it.

If you had a little additional room, you could also bring your Cuttlebug and some embossing folders and/or Nesties.

Voila!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry I've no ideas for you but I wanted to wish you good luck on your trip! It seems like a dream come true to me (especially if you can fit in your crafting supplies in there)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Not quite the same but I had ALL my crafting supplies in my carry-on four years ago and that was all I had to use for 18 months.

The key is sitting down and thinking it out and I have to say for me it was unmounted stamps. In my case, at that time, I had a really useful box of CD's and 7 normal sized ink pads and about 20 cubes of versacraft. Now, I would have difficulty but I would plan to take as much as I could in as limited amount of space as possible.

ETA - if its a four month trip sit down and plan out what you want to do on the trip and what you need to do. I knew a lady in England that used to color in all her Christmas images on her summer RV holiday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I have brought supplies to make cards in hotel rooms, my mom's house, etc. What works for me is choosing one or two color schemes (ex: pink and brown; navy, baja blue and kiwi; etc.) and bringing coordinating cardstock, patterned paper, ink; a few stamp sets; a few punches; a few ribbons/embellishments; and then basic supplies like paper cutter, adhesive, bone folder, etc. I would also bring some neutrals like White or Kraft. If you really get bored with your supplies, you can always stop at a Michael's or Joann's for a few supplemental supplies.

Another idea would be to mass produce some Holiday cards. Then when you are home, you can spend your stamping time on other stuff.

Another idea would be to do some digital scrapbooking (ex: Stampin' Up's My Digital Studio).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 02:21 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am loving this topic! I always take crafty stuff to do whenever I'm away from home....it makes everything else more enjoyable too.
For an extra long trip, my list would be...I'm a scrapper so I need my camera...would bring my little canon selphy printer, laptop of course...ipod to listen to paperclipping roundtable...all those are a must...then, I'd need to have images to color(stamp out some before I go), so I'd need my copics...(good idea, someone had, just bring the ones that match a paper pack or 2, I'd have on hand) Then...gotta have the basics..scissors,paper cutter, adhesive....then after that...I would just remind myself that I can hunt down stores and still shop...I don't have to bring Everything with me. Knowing me, I'd be buying ribbon and buttons and flowers and gems,lol, at the first opportunity anyway.
The really hard part would be leaving my cricut behind, because it's so much apart of what I do...but you've got to draw the line somewhere...I would just have to go back to my pre-cricut days,ha!
Hopefully all this stuff would fit in my rolling tote and a smaller shoulder bag...
Hope you are having fun! Keep us posted, if you will!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a 25' Travel Trailer for camping and I take my goodies even if we are going for just a couple of days...

In the next 2 years, hubby will be retiring and we have been looking at 5th wheels to hit the road in and one of the must haves is a built in area with cabinets or hutch for my supplies...We have been hitting the RV Shows to see the different lines and so far, we have found about 4-5 floor plans on a 35' to 40' that will be just right...

I know I will down size a lot of my things, but then there are a lot of them I don't use in the first place! All of my stamps have been un-mounted so that does ease up some storage there!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

My husband and I are retired and travel in our 24' camper quite a bit. If we're going to be out longer than a week, I carry a bunch of prestamped images on both SU! whisper white and water-color paper, my Prisma colored pencils & related gear, my watercolor crayons & a brush, and tiny samples of some of my newer designer papers for color ideas. It actually all fits in a fairly small container. If we're camped at the beach on the east coast for a couple weeks, I only color on rainy days (and there aren't many of those). Last year we volunteered with the US Forest Service for a 2-month period. By the time we added travel time to and from our position, I was away from my stampin' room for 2 months and 3 weeks! But who's counting? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Krista had a great suggestion about packing things to be used in mass production of holiday cards. I did that a couple years ago and it worked well. I took a large image to be water-colored as well as a stamp, ink, paper, and punch for another image that was used on the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

We have a 32' RV that we don't live in, but we do go away as often as we can, and at least once a year we go for a lengthy trip. I fill up my rolling tote with stamps, punches, Big Shot. Then I have an Iris clear container for each project I would like to do. I pair up all the paper, ink pads, embellishments, I need for those and do a mass production on each. My tote fits nicely under the dining table and Iris container are stashed under the seats. I also pre-stamp some images so I can sit and slowly colour them while watching my kids play. A bath tub has been used to hold some stuff too while traveling. Once we're parked and slides are out - you can put it anywhere. Have lots of fun!

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkittenView Post
My husband and I are retired and travel in our 24' camper quite a bit. If we're going to be out longer than a week, I carry a bunch of prestamped images on both SU! whisper white and water-color paper, my Prisma colored pencils & related gear, my watercolor crayons & a brush, and tiny samples of some of my newer designer papers for color ideas. It actually all fits in a fairly small container. If we're camped at the beach on the east coast for a couple weeks, I only color on rainy days (and there aren't many of those). Last year we volunteered with the US Forest Service for a 2-month period. By the time we added travel time to and from our position, I was away from my stampin' room for 2 months and 3 weeks! But who's counting? ;)
Bobkitten, this sounds like a dream come true...two months of nature and stamping! Would love to hear more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Slightly different situation here, but last year dh and I made a big overseas move - our belongings were locked up in a crate for two months. I made a small kit of "essentials" to keep with me so that I could still get crafty until the rest of my supplies arrived. I used the sterilite containers with blue latches mentioned above: 2.7 qt. (for small tools, adhesives, etc.), 5.5 qt. (to hold CD cases of unmounted stamps), and 6.2 qt. (to hold 8 1/2x11 or smaller paper). Instead of limiting myself to a strict color scheme, I tried to include a variety of patterns/colors (there's nothing worse than itching to make something with blues when all you have is pinks, lol). I used tiny ziploc bags (from the jewelry section at HL) to hold a small assortment of embellishments. As for ink, cubes (or cat's eye queues) are an invaluable space saver.

The tool list I came up with is:
  • Portable trimmer (I like the Fiskars 12" Ultimate Craft Trimmer for travel - it's small and lightweight, but has a rotary blade so the cuts are much nicer than cheaper lightweight trimmers)
  • Bone folder
  • Paper piercer
  • Foam pad for piercing (or to use as stamping mat with unmounted stamps)
  • Paper snips
  • Craft blade
  • White eraser
  • Adhesive eraser
  • Mini ruler
  • Corner rounder punch
  • Scallop scissors (instead of bulky border punches)
  • Stamp-a-ma-jig
  • Adhesives (runner, foam dimensionals, glue pen, glue dots)
  • Acrylic blocks for unmounted stamps
  • White gel pen
  • Blender pen

For an RV situation, I'd add a protective mat to put down on my table surface (like the Basic Grey magnetic precision mat), plus an OTT-type desk lamp. Then, if there was still room, my cuttlebug/nesties/embossing folders and my Slice. One thing I've found is that while it can be a bit of a challenge, you'd be surprised how much you can still create with limited supplies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 04:25 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristaTracyView Post
Bobkitten, this sounds like a dream come true...two months of nature and stamping! Would love to hear more!

I'd love to tell you about it! Most of our friends and family thought we were crazy, but some of the guys were envious! :twisted: We took a position running a tiny visitor center on an isolated mountain road in southern Utah. We worked for 4 days, then would have 4 days off to make a grocery & laundry run and to explore. We had a private camping space with water, propane gas, and sewage hook-up. Electricity was only available a couple hours each morning and from 5 to 7 at night.
On duty, I had to hang a Smokey Bear flag by the back door, record the morning temp and cloud condition, and refill the hummingbird feeders each day. My husband had to unlock two big gates and open them (they kept free range cattle from the area), sweep off about 8 picnic tables, and chop a little wood. Our main thing was to talk to people who stopped for travel info. The visitor center had anywhere from 9 to 45 visitors a day. About 1/3 of them were foreign, many western Europeans (the dollar was weak last summer), about 1/3 were from Utah, and the remainder from states all over! WE really enjoyed it, and I received my first kiss from a Frenchman - he was about 4 years old! ;)
Our mountain was surrounded by national parks and recreation land so on 3 of our 4 "off" days, we went exploring. Some of my favorite things were hiking in the slot canyons of the Escalante and driving our truck on 4-wheel-drive-only roads to spectacular views. :-D
Did we love the experience? Well, we're going again this year for the months of August and September! Come and visit me on Boulder Mountain if you find yourself on Route 12 in Utah!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 04:59 AM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

I am a scrapbooker as well as a stamper. As soon as we start planning a trip, I start planning my vacation book. Usually it a mini or some type of handmade book. (So much fun) I pull any papers and stamps that I think will work. I usually just take markers and a brown stamp pad along with scissors, adhesive, etc. On the trip I start journaling and adding pictures, stickers, tickets, brochures, etc. The goal is to have a completed album when I get home. Every gift shop has something fun you will need for you book. Sometimes I get as excited about the book as the trip. Enjoy your trip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 05:10 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I'd love to tell you about it! Most of our friends and family thought we were crazy, but some of the guys were envious! :twisted: We took a position running a tiny visitor center on an isolated mountain road in southern Utah. We worked for 4 days, then would have 4 days off to make a grocery & laundry run and to explore. We had a private camping space with water, propane gas, and sewage hook-up. Electricity was only available a couple hours each morning and from 5 to 7 at night.
On duty, I had to hang a Smokey Bear flag by the back door, record the morning temp and cloud condition, and refill the hummingbird feeders each day. My husband had to unlock two big gates and open them (they kept free range cattle from the area), sweep off about 8 picnic tables, and chop a little wood. Our main thing was to talk to people who stopped for travel info. The visitor center had anywhere from 9 to 45 visitors a day. About 1/3 of them were foreign, many western Europeans (the dollar was weak last summer), about 1/3 were from Utah, and the remainder from states all over! WE really enjoyed it, and I received my first kiss from a Frenchman - he was about 4 years old! ;)
Our mountain was surrounded by national parks and recreation land so on 3 of our 4 "off" days, we went exploring. Some of my favorite things were hiking in the slot canyons of the Escalante and driving our truck on 4-wheel-drive-only roads to spectacular views. :-D
Did we love the experience? Well, we're going again this year for the months of August and September! Come and visit me on Boulder Mountain if you find yourself on Route 12 in Utah!
It sounds wonderful! My husband and I plan on doing something similar in a dozen years.
BLOG

Last edited by debils; 04-20-2010 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 06:03 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAWSView Post
I am a scrapbooker as well as a stamper. As soon as we start planning a trip, I start planning my vacation book. Usually it a mini or some type of handmade book. (So much fun) I pull any papers and stamps that I think will work. I usually just take markers and a brown stamp pad along with scissors, adhesive, etc. On the trip I start journaling and adding pictures, stickers, tickets, brochures, etc. The goal is to have a completed album when I get home. Every gift shop has something fun you will need for you book. Sometimes I get as excited about the book as the trip. Enjoy your trip!
This sounds neat! I've planned to do something similar this year, as I have found that it's more than a bit daunting to get home after a 2-month trip with 2000 pictures and then try to scrapbook. I spent two different winters scrapbooking two long trips, but the book for our longer trip 2 years ago never got finished. And I didn't even plan one for last summer's big adventure. :oops:
I'm located an hour south of Zanesville, RAWS, and have occasionally stopped at the HL there. Small world!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #35  
Inking Addict

Default Travellin' bag

wow! super fun time ahead for you! Bring your camera!

I did a trip for a couple of months and well space is certainly at a premium!

I agree with some of the other gals about bringing stuff. but not too much stuff!:rolleyes:
Only take what you can carry! ( and roll! LOL!)

So This is what I learned.....

1.Take your tiny spots or cat eyes..... e.g. your fav family and then extras.... if you have room then another family or more...

These have to fit in a small container efficiently that closes tightly.... in case of a tip or drop!

2. your favourite black for words or outlines or watercoloring

3. your versamark pad of course!

4. basic tool kit- cutter, glue, folder, 2 pairs of scissors, mat etc.

5. cardstock.... can precut the card bases.
Pre stamped / pre CB a bunch of backgrounds too!

6. list of cards you need to make for upcoming events and birthdays.

That can be done in half of the time you are away. Careful planning.... you can't be stamping everyday.... cause somebody has to do the dishes and buy the groceries once in a while!

7. your fav coloring equipment and cleaning supplies.

8. bring a book for ideas or a stamping magazine or two for the bumpy parts of the ride! ( P.s. there might be some stamping LSS stores along the way!)
* you can preplan some of those stops too!)

9 go easy on the punches as they are bulky and heavy. pick your fav corner punch if you like them.

10. some basic yarn or ribbon/gems for embellishemts.

11. some envelops

12. oh, yes, only a couple of cds/ or dvd of unmounted stamps space permitting!

13. anything else that you can't leave behind....

14. Keep it simple.

some gals pre stamp stuff/ pre plan their scrapbook page so they know what items to bring..... and they get their project done. sometimes if you bring too much you don't get anything done!

Check your space available.... sometimes it's easier if you have two smaller containers rather than one big container.... Well depends on how big your wheels are and who you have to share space with.

And if you really don't need that much space for cereal as that space could

be used for the CB or CS.... come on! what's more important here!
wow! that was my two cents worth! good thing nobody wanted me to say my $.50 worth;)
TTUL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 07:43 AM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Hi neighbor (bobkitten), I was so excited when HL came to town, now I get rather frustrated because the stock never seems to change much. Then I have to go show other places!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

My hubby and I drove across Canada last summer (from one end to the other) and I HAD to take some supplies with me because I knew there would be a couple of hotel stays in "Nowheresville" so I brought what I thought were essentials... This was what i brought:
  • Fiskars paper trimmer - the one with the arm that goes out to 12"
  • two kinds of scissors - paper and ribbon
  • adhesive - glue dots, zip dry, dimensionals
  • 36 copic markers - my fav. colours
  • Ink - black, brown and white
  • Stamps - all clear stamps and unmounted rubber
  • Patterned papers - a variety of about 50 sheets
  • Cardstock - mainly PTI, various colours, lotsa white
  • Embellies - ribbon, some decorative brads etc...

along the way I picked up a "few" things:
  • flower soft
  • rock-a-blocks
  • NEW patterned papers
  • MORE stamps
  • envelopes

and I fit it all in this tote:

(don't I look great??!!)

anyway... I was happy with what I chose to take along and pleasantly surprise with what I was able to make! Good luck on your travels!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #38  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

I LOVE Boulder Mountain!! My husband and I lived in our 32' 5th wheel for 4 months up at Panguitch Lake, UT the summer of 2001. We took day trips all over the southern portion of Utah. I had purchased the Moon Utah Handbook and it had some great trips. One of my favorite trips was the "old mail" route between Boulder & Escalante. My brother had also given us a bunch of US Forest Service maps which came in very handy for some of those back road excursions. We had taken our 17' fishing boat with us, so there were also many days of fishing. Utah is such a beautiful state with so many parks and lakes. The scenery is just gorgeous everywhere you go. We have often talked of moving there but it's just too cold in the winter months.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!

Wow, I go camping regularly in a 25' travel trailer even for weekend getaways. I used to bring bags and bags of everything but I always forget something or had something that worked better at home. So I started bringing TONS of images and my Prismacolor pencils and I color the days or nights away. That way when I get home, I can make them into cards and I have everything I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #40  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenjoy71View Post
Julie

I love your cards and your blog!! I hope to meet you one day after I move to Washington :p It would be such a thrill!!! I LOVE A Muse!!
Oh, thank you, Jennifer! When are you moving to Washington, and what area?

There are some *fine* rubbah establishments in the Seattle area! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes