Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-12-2022, 01:35 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Let's Talk Small Cardstock!

Curious how small of sizes do you keep of cardstock scraps? I think I am going to through out anything smaller than a 4x6 and start storing in a photo box?

Curious to see others ideas?
Old 01-12-2022, 01:42 PM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

If I can punch something from it, then I keep it.
My scraps go into a sturdy page protector that I store with its respective color (I use a paper holder from Stamp-N-Storage for my cardstock). When I use a color, I always search the scraps first and generally find what I need (or make do with what I find!). My scraps (miraculously) have never gotten out of control.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 8 users liked this post by cnsteele:
Boss (01-12-2022), CaffeineCrafter (01-12-2022), cjzim (01-12-2022), harvestmoon (01-13-2022), jeannemlehrman (01-12-2022), MangieB (01-20-2022), Renata Joyner (01-19-2022), smhtwin (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 01:57 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,852 Posts

I keep a lot of scraps. If I pay attention, they go back with the full size sheets. Many are sorted by color in a container and I go there first to see if there is a large enough piece for what I want. I keep small sizes as do I use them. I know many people keep strips when they cut a layer down then they add these strips to a card base or weave strips together to create a background.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lovinpaper:
MangieB (01-20-2022), smhtwin (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 02:14 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 808 Likes on 529 Posts

I keep my scraps in one-gallon Ziploc bags and sorted by colors.

I do try to look through them when I need just a small piece of paper.

My twin, who makes all of our family scrapbooks, loves my scrap bags and uses them as much as she can : ) She's much better at it than I am!

As for the sizes I keep, that's always a struggle for me......when is a scrap too small and should just be put in the recycle bin??!! I have a tendency to save anything bigger than 2".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2022, 02:45 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I keep them in an accordion storage file that was designed for 6 x 12 sticker sheets. I've had it for many years - probably as long as I've been scrapbooking (over 20). If it's smaller than 2 inches in either dimension, I toss it in the paper recyclables bin. When the file gets too thick to close, I go through it and toss the overflow for the white section. I usually have a lot of those from card cut-offs.

I don't save thin strips, no matter how long they are. I know I won't use them. If I need strips for a project, I'll cut them from a larger sheet. Scrap storage can get out of hand, and I try to keep my storage under control.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2022, 04:02 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
If I can punch something from it, then I keep it.
My scraps go into a sturdy page protector that I store with its respective color (I use a paper holder from Stamp-N-Storage for my cardstock). When I use a color, I always search the scraps first and generally find what I need (or make do with what I find!). My scraps (miraculously) have never gotten out of control.
Same method I've used for years and it works well for me. I have a re-purposed file cabinet about 3 ft long with two drawers that holds all my card stock in hanging files. I have a clear fe with scraps with each color. As others have said, I usually keep scraps that are big enough to punch something out of. For white and vanilla card stock, I keep a box on my desk that all those strips go into and use them for sentiments, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2022, 06:03 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

half sheets or larger go with full sheets, quarter sheet size are kept in a card file box close at hand. I check there for scraps before reaching for the 1/2 or full sheets. I only keep smaller pieces if it's foil, shimmer, black or the white I use for coloring images; those are the ones I will actually use.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2022, 02:16 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

I too keep my scraps in gallon zip lock bags - one for each color. I keep all sizes, from about 1 inch and larger. A 1 inch piece can be shoes for First Crush kids from Spellbinders, or tiny snowflakes. I sometimes keep way too much. Lately, I've been tossing the left over white strips from when I cut an 8 1/2 X 11 cardstock into four 3 3/4 X 5 pieces for the inside sentiment on my cards. I had a gallon bag absolutely full and just started keeping only about 20 at a time. Some dies are so tiny they are hard to handle, so most of my scraps aren't wasted.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2022, 02:50 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 659 Likes on 415 Posts

I have one of those 12 X 12 storage boxes ( plastic ) that is maybe 2 or 3 inches deep. and it has scraps too small to file. ( and I die cut bitty things from them as my hands do not agree that punchies are a fun thing to do anymore)
but, if the box starts getting too full I either make some time to chop stuff up and or toss scraps of things that are not really going to be used. ( like skinny textured dark cardstocks, I would be more likely to stamp a sentiment on a pale color) kwim?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2022, 03:26 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I also have mine in a plastic box, semi organized. I keep them pretty small for sentiments etc. When it is getting too full I will die cut a bunch of common sentiments or make strip cards. That alone is usually good to move a lot out. Anything bigger than a 1/4 sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 stays with full sheets.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
fl_beachbum (01-14-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 11:17 AM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

A scrap has to be at least 2" unless it's a strip. I store the scraps in drawers by color. I created sections. I have 1 - 6x12 and 2 - 6x6 sections in each drawer. One of the 6x6 sections is for all my 6x6 paper (I tear apart the packs and sort by color) and the other 6x6 section is for small pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
Let's Talk Small Cardstock!-20200908_180704-copy-copy.jpg   Let's Talk Small Cardstock!-20200908_163326-copy-copy-copy.jpg   Let's Talk Small Cardstock!-20180119_145116.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
mouseyr61 (01-27-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 03:02 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
A scrap has to be at least 2" unless it's a strip. I store the scraps in drawers by color. I created sections. I have 1 - 6x12 and 2 - 6x6 sections in each drawer. One of the 6x6 sections is for all my 6x6 paper (I tear apart the packs and sort by color) and the other 6x6 section is for small pieces.
Wow! I love your system!
Reply With Quote Likes
stamphappy1650 (01-17-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 04:26 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

This is going to sound like a hoarder issue. I keep the tiniest pieces of cardstock.

I hardly use full size sheets of cardstock. I might grab a full size sheet one or twice a year. I have been seriously thinking of getting rid of a lot of my full size sheets. I mainly use white or black for full size. The rest of the colors I hardly touch.

I buy those sample size cardstock packs & they are perfect for me. I never work in large sizes. I love to paper piece so I am using the tiniest pieces to cut out facial features (eyes, nose, lips) or small details like polka dots on a dress. I live for fiddly things, lol.

I keep everything in quart size bags in a large plastic box. I organize by colors. The larger pieces that are above 1inch or grouped together by colors in individual bags for each color.. The smaller pieces are grouped by colors and put in individual snack size bags & then I put those bags in a quart size bag. The only gallon size bags I use are for my white pieces.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2022, 07:30 PM   #14  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I probably keep pieces that are way too small, but when I was going through Totally Tiffany's Get Organized Challenge last year, I decided to keep scraps 1" x 3" and larger because I figure I can use that size for sentiment strips. I am using the TT Scrapmasters (one per color) and storing those in 12 x 12 paper handlers/paper storage boxes.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2022, 04:31 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Like lylacfey and purpleflowers, I keep small pieces. Smallest - 1" x 3" minimum: keep all the pieces, up to about 3" x 3", in a shallow box I adapted by putting a divider down the middle, sorted by colour. Absolutely great for sentiment strips or diecuts. Next size is bigger than 3" high and as wide and high as a magazine file: kept by colour in bags in - you've guessed it - two magazine files. Everything else goes with the rest of the cardstock as it's just not practical to outsort yet another category. I have hanging files for my cardstock/paper: deep files for the 12 x 12 and standard filing pockets for the rest. Once again, by colour and within that by type: plain, textured, patterned, foil/glitter, speciality papers. With careful placement (ie not cramming all the small bits on one side of the bag) I can limit the thickness of each bag to take up the least space. Have been doing it this way for years and haven't yet come up with a better solution.

Lynda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2022, 04:45 AM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

I, too, store my scraps in with the whole sheets. I find that this is the best way for me to actually use them. I admit that the bags sometimes get too bulky, but then I try to think of a way to use some.
I used to have my papers in two portable hanging folder cases, but I found that it was 1) too heavy to lift, and 2) didn’t have a place to store them at eye level, so they always had to be moved. Now they are in the clear drawers in ROYGBIV order. This seems to work best for me, although it is time for me to re-label the drawers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2022, 05:04 AM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 56 Likes on 16 Posts

I keep all small scraps that I can punch. I immediately use tiny punches to create shapes and keep them in iris 4x6 photo boxes by shape. The larger ones I keep in a plastic sleeve with the cardstock and DSP which I have filed alphabetically in 3 filing cabinets https://www.amazon.com/UNV50780-Univ.../dp/B009A4XXEW. I do have the 16 box iris photo case for white, ivory and black pieces.https://www.amazon.com/IRIS-USA-Stor...00GLQX3CO?th=1
These are often on sale at Michaels for $15.00.
Each smaller box is labeled with the size of the scrap up to 4 x 5 1/4. I use 3 x 4 plastic bags for the really small pieces within the iris 4 x 6 box. I have begun following YouTube crafters JessCrafts and Kristie Marcotte idea of using the small scraps to level out layers on a card front. They both layer almost everything they do. I like the look and it uses a lot of the scraps. JessCrafts has a ton of no scrap one sheet wonders.
I use these photo boxes a lot...for pre-cut DSP, for card kits, for pre stamped sentiments from scraps, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
jeanne3579 (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 05:46 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Ooh, I love the idea of using scraps for layering! Now why didn't I think of that?! I story my half size or larger pieces with the full size sheets of cardstock. My space is too tight to store scraps there too, but I would love to have them sorted by the exact color, if I could. I store all green scraps together, all blue scraps together, and so forth. There is enough space in my paper drawer to store these that I put in accordian file folders, behind the folders of individual full-size. I have to shuffle through to get the exact color of pink, say, but I do it. I don't save tiny pieces as, I'm always making more scraps as I go along. Must be 2" or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Let's Talk Small Cardstock!-top-drawer.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2022, 06:31 AM   #19  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondinesgirlView Post
I keep all small scraps that I can punch. I immediately use tiny punches to create shapes and keep them in iris 4x6 photo boxes by shape. The larger ones I keep in a plastic sleeve with the cardstock and DSP which I have filed alphabetically in 3 filing cabinets https://www.amazon.com/UNV50780-Univ.../dp/B009A4XXEW. I do have the 16 box iris photo case for white, ivory and black pieces.https://www.amazon.com/IRIS-USA-Stor...00GLQX3CO?th=1
These are often on sale at Michaels for $15.00.
Each smaller box is labeled with the size of the scrap up to 4 x 5 1/4. I use 3 x 4 plastic bags for the really small pieces within the iris 4 x 6 box. I have begun following YouTube crafters JessCrafts and Kristie Marcotte idea of using the small scraps to level out layers on a card front. They both layer almost everything they do. I like the look and it uses a lot of the scraps. JessCrafts has a ton of no scrap one sheet wonders.
I use these photo boxes a lot...for pre-cut DSP, for card kits, for pre stamped sentiments from scraps, etc.
I enjoy watching both of their videos as well.
I think that your first link, I assume for a filing cabinet, is wrong. It shows something with a cd rom golder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2022, 03:15 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I recently started storing my cardstock in ticket holders so now I place scraps back in with the cardstock ... BUT I also store other cardstock that I've cut to size ... if it's less that say 3x4 it gets tossed ... except for neutral colors like white, cream or black.
“Don’t ever forget that you’re a citizen of this world, and there are things you can do to lift the human spirit, things that are easy, things that are free, things that you can do every day: civility, respect, kindness, character.” ~ Aaron Sorkin
My Gallery
Featured Stamper FS739 April 4, 21
My Blog
Administrator for The Outlawz Challenges

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2022, 04:48 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep my colored scraps (3x3 and larger) in an Ikea Vareira medium sized open bin, sorted by general color family. My neutral scraps are stored in a separate Vareira small bin that I keep out on my craft desk because I constantly grab it for stamping small sentiments or looking for a mat layer. These bins are my storage go-to for clear stamps and thin dies in plastic sleeves, 6x6 paper pads, scraps as mentioned, etc. Inexpensive, sturdy, easy to grab - I love them.
Reply With Quote Likes
jeanne3579 (01-21-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 04:31 AM   #22  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cara DeniseView Post
I recently started storing my cardstock in ticket holders so now I place scraps back in with the cardstock ... BUT I also store other cardstock that I've cut to size ... if it's less that say 3x4 it gets tossed ... except for neutral colors like white, cream or black.
Do you have a link for the ticket holders? I looked on Amazon, but most seem to have the black rim.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2022, 08:04 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Another vote for sturdy page protectors -- I have a piece of chipboard in a page protector to make it stand up straight and all scraps, down to about 2X2 or long thin strips, go in. I have ones for pink, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, black, white, brown and kraft.

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2022, 11:54 AM   #24  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 493 Likes on 272 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
Do you have a link for the ticket holders? I looked on Amazon, but most seem to have the black rim.
I'm curious, what is the problem with a black rim? There are some available in colors, but again, I guess I'm not getting why black borders are not OK?

I buy ticket holders on Amazon and magnet sheets and use them for die storage, hung on peg board spikes.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2022, 12:00 PM   #25  
Watercolor Wizard

I keep anything I can punch from, that's down to about an inch square (I have some nifty Nellie Snellen flower punches/shapers that I can make 1 inch flowers with).

I try to keep scraps organized by color, in page protectors, and stored in vertical nylon hanging pockets designed for teachers. I can usually put 2-3 colors into each pocket, since they're not terribly thick.I have found neat storage ideas from teachers stores (also at garage sales).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2022, 12:24 PM   #26  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
I'm curious, what is the problem with a black rim? There are some available in colors, but again, I guess I'm not getting why black borders are not OK?

I buy ticket holders on Amazon and magnet sheets and use them for die storage, hung on peg board spikes.
I just assumed it would be easier to see the color without a rim.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2022, 01:16 PM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

First, there's always going to be a rim of some sort- they're 2 layers of clear plastic bound together by a stitched rim of something. It's just a border around the edge, like binding. Black is more neutral than colors, and would be less likely to distract the eye. (Just my opinion)
I have no issues seeing what I put in them very clearly, if that helps any.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2022, 01:49 PM   #28  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't consider it a scrap unless it's smaller than 1/4 sheet.
I keep full sheets in filing cabinet and qtr sheets in the drawer right by me. if a sheet comes out of the file cab, it gets cut to 1/4 sheets right away.
Scraps, I keep them pretty small and I have a place for strips ( less than 1" but at least 5.5" long, and less than 2" but at least 5.5" long.) and a container for odd shape scraps, loosely sorted rainbow order - when it's too full I weed out the smallest pieces

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2022, 02:24 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: scrappin and cat napping in the thumb of Minglerville
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

After finally organizing my scrap room I discovered I have 5 containers of scrap paper. I used to keep anything big enough to use a punch with. But i'd forget to use them and grab a full sheet. I have my cricut system setup on one side of my room and my work table on the other. I kept my scraps near the cricut side. I now keep part near my work table where I make cards.
I'm throwing out anything smaller then 4 x 4 unless it is a special pattern or texture. I'm also trying to organize by color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2022, 03:16 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,852 Posts

I had a scrap that I kept where I cut two word stamps out of a piece of cardstock, maybe 2.5 inches by 6 inches. The left over was kept in the package with the rest of that kind of cardstock. I used it to die cut thin heart strips, small heart dies, then the rest was punched with the owl punch for the small heart. I used every bit of this paper that could be used. This is from the last piece of cardstock in that color. I have been reaching into my scraps for most of the cards I have made this week. I am making Valentine cards.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2022, 05:38 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: scrappin and cat napping in the thumb of Minglerville
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mouseyr61View Post
After finally organizing my scrap room I discovered I have 5 containers of scrap paper. I used to keep anything big enough to use a punch with. But i'd forget to use them and grab a full sheet. I have my cricut system setup on one side of my room and my work table on the other. I kept my scraps near the cricut side. I now keep part near my work table where I make cards.
I'm throwing out anything smaller then 4 x 4 unless it is a special pattern or texture. I'm also trying to organize by color.
Correction I save approx 2.5 x 3.5 for atc and tags. I also have a section for approx 2 x 8 or 2 x 11 for borders, page toppers and book marks. I often will add a bookmark in with my cards
Reply With Quote Likes