Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-09-2015, 10:03 PM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Lawn Fawn Merry Christmouse Simon Says Stamp exclusive

I was having a bit of a look on EBay today as my husband is asking what I want for Christmas. I wasn't looking for it but I came across the Simon Says Stamp exclusive Lawn Fawn stamp & die set "Merry Christmouse" (which sold out a while ago at SSS) for auction. Currently the bid is at US$76.00 (which for my Australian friends is Aussie$105.20)! WOW! It still has another day to go so it will be interesting to see how much it sells for. And now I realise that there's a few people out there who buy these one-off sets to then sell later.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2015, 01:28 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just goes to show how silly people can be. Not only the price for the item but also $20 + postage. Theres another set on there at under $9 with two days to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2015, 04:09 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe it's just how my mind works... sad to say... but when I hear about things like this I always wonder if the seller isn't logging on and bidding to drive the price up. Know what I mean? Other people get caught up in the bidding fever and will make a bid if there are other bidders trying to get it. We always want something more, or put more value on something, if others want it and are willing to pay big bucks for it.

A person could have multiple EBay accounts and bid on various auctions, including their own, if they log on from a different IP address like home vs work vs BFF's computer, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2015, 04:57 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Whatever the regular price for the set was would have been too costly for me, since I don't like the set. I don't see its appeal.

I don't understand these exclusive deals made by other companies with Simon Says Stamp; this makes me seriously consider boycotting the companies who do the exclusives. I've bought 2 items from SSS, both exclusives, a Memory Box die and a Hero Arts set, and had to wait an unreasonably long time before I received them.

How do you guys feel about this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2015, 06:38 AM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Is there a Willy Wonka Golden ticket in there? Dang. :shock:

I think that shocks me most b/c it is Lawn Fawn, generally known and loved for their reasonable pricing. (I'm liking the 4 buck alpaca right now) However, SSS is not known that way and why generally all I get there is their own brand when on a good sale.

My thought is hang back. In another year they will be around at normal prices. I like the cheese tree and gift, and there is a plain mouse that could be used elsewhere but I wouldnt get this unless it was pretty cheap bc as usual with sets there is stuff I dont want.

The seller sold this same set early Dec for $320. Unbelievable. Then listed it again for start of $30 a few days later and it did not sell-unless they ended it early. I am wondering if the first buyer bailed on them.

One time I searched for the most expensive stamp about 2 years ago, and it was some single Asian thing for 6K. :shock: I thought it was a typo, but it was listed for months, which means they kept putting it back up. Right now it's 1k for a pair of sets from a company I have never heard of...then going down, it's big lots and at least that makes some sense.

Janet you are describing what is called "shilling" on ebay, and is a big no no. B/C ebay looks at computer signatures, having different IDs wont protect you...but do they investigate every claim? No. If you get your friends to do it...harder to prove. Ebay would have to watch their listings and check all the bidders and see if X is constantly bidding in that way for Y-but it can be done. (How does this cavegirl know? Longtime topic over there) It can backfire on you. Push it too far and it wont sell at all. Does it happen? I am sure it does. As much as some Chicken Littles there want to claim? No. Simple way to combat it is to bid late and only once with your max bid and walk away. They will let you know if you win and the system only uses as much as it needs to win, not the whole amt right away.

I dont have a problem with exclusives. No different from having an original design...except now you have a die to go with it. Am I missing something? Linda why is it bothering you?

It is industrious to have the "eye" to know what to grab and hold for later higher price selling. I cant hold that against people. I dont have to buy it, but I dont have an issue with it. Isnt that the same as any collectible re-selling in the world?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2015, 08:40 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
Maybe it's just how my mind works... sad to say... but when I hear about things like this I always wonder if the seller isn't logging on and bidding to drive the price up. Know what I mean? Other people get caught up in the bidding fever and will make a bid if there are other bidders trying to get it. We always want something more, or put more value on something, if others want it and are willing to pay big bucks for it.

A person could have multiple EBay accounts and bid on various auctions, including their own, if they log on from a different IP address like home vs work vs BFF's computer, etc.
I'm sure it's happened, but it's against eBay's rules.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2015, 09:12 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I worked for eBay for three years... not selling on eBay but working for the company. I left 7 years ago and even then they had excellent software tools to detect shill bidding and it went far deeper than IP addresses, so I imagine it has only gotten better. I found it to be a lot of fun investigating shill bidding complaints, I felt like I was playing Sherlock Holmes connecting the dots. I can't really disclose much but it has to do with the way you link accounts back to each other.

Are there still ways to shill bid? Yes I'm sure there are, scammers get more sophisticated everyday but generally speaking it's pretty safe to bid on something you want really badly ;) without worrying that the seller or a friend is outbidding you.

Oh and yes, people are just plain crazy when they really want something. It's a bit like gambling if you think about it, hard to stop for some people once they get started.

My blog: Organized Craft Chaos | My Etsy supplies shop
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2015, 05:39 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't have a problem with exclusives myself. I was just amazed that someone would bid so much for a stamp set (which I think is pretty cute personally). Maybe it's the thrill of the chase to finally get your hands on something that you so eagerly desire? Guess it's the online version of a bricks & mortar store selling stuff that people really, REALLY want & people are queuing up at the door waiting for the doors to burst open & they all run in & go crazy. You wouldn't find me there LOL! :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2015, 05:33 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Not everyone who bids on eBay actually pays. I sold some hand-made earrings a few months ago on eBay and got stiffed by one of the buyers. It turns out that she is notorious for not paying. Ebay doesn't allow sellers to leave negative feedback for buyers, which I don't understand, and you have to get "burned" before you can block someone like this from bidding on your auctions. I reported her to eBay, but she's still there. Another thing I don't understand. I have since stopped selling on eBay.

It's sad that some people get their kicks by bidding on things that they have no intention of paying for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Not everyone who bids on eBay actually pays. I sold some hand-made earrings a few months ago on eBay and got stiffed by one of the buyers. It turns out that she is notorious for not paying. Ebay doesn't allow sellers to leave negative feedback for buyers, which I don't understand, and you have to get "burned" before you can block someone like this from bidding on your auctions. I reported her to eBay, but she's still there. Another thing I don't understand. I have since stopped selling on eBay.

It's sad that some people get their kicks by bidding on things that they have no intention of paying for.
I can see why they don't ban her from the site. It's almost impossible to enforce and E-Bay isn't going to pay people to monitor the crazies - cuts into their profits. The crazies just log on with a new account, new internet provider, different computer, what ever.

Don't know why the E-Bay sellers don't unite on a forum thread some where and share the names of the crazies with each other. Just creating a name list that can searched by everyone would be the ticket. Eventually the crazies run out of different computers and accounts to keep playing the game.

How does that work for you as a seller? Do you go back to the second highest bid and ask them if they want the product? Or do you have to start over? When I sold on E-Bay, people had to pay within 24 hours or I relisted it. I had one woman take 7 days to pay me, and it was with a cash money order that she mailed... She was the reason I changed my time frame for E-Bay sales.

There are some really sick puppies out there and they all seem to be on E-Bay. Funny how these people regard everyone on line as players in a video game - they de-humanize all the other people affected by their behaviors. Find that fascinating, and also scary.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2015, 04:43 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
I can see why they don't ban her from the site. It's almost impossible to enforce and E-Bay isn't going to pay people to monitor the crazies - cuts into their profits. The crazies just log on with a new account, new internet provider, different computer, what ever.

Don't know why the E-Bay sellers don't unite on a forum thread some where and share the names of the crazies with each other. Just creating a name list that can searched by everyone would be the ticket. Eventually the crazies run out of different computers and accounts to keep playing the game.

How does that work for you as a seller? Do you go back to the second highest bid and ask them if they want the product? Or do you have to start over? When I sold on E-Bay, people had to pay within 24 hours or I relisted it. I had one woman take 7 days to pay me, and it was with a cash money order that she mailed... She was the reason I changed my time frame for E-Bay sales.

There are some really sick puppies out there and they all seem to be on E-Bay. Funny how these people regard everyone on line as players in a video game - they de-humanize all the other people affected by their behaviors. Find that fascinating, and also scary.
The group is an interesting idea, but you can't ban someone from bidding on your auctions unless and until that person flakes. I couldn't offer the item to the second-highest bidder, because it took eBay over a month to try to get the money from her and then close my ticket. Plus, there were no other bidders. I got my fees back, but the item remained unsold. I used to have a strict policy, like yours, for payment. If I decide to sell again, I'll have to re-instate it.

If eBay would just let sellers leave negative feedback for buyers, it would be easier to tell who the flakers are. And if sellers would stop leaving negative feedback that is labeled "Positive," that would help too. (Some sellers leave the negative feedback but are forced to label it as positive, because that's the only option. :rolleyes: )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2015, 10:40 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
The group is an interesting idea, but you can't ban someone from bidding on your auctions unless and until that person flakes. I couldn't offer the item to the second-highest bidder, because it took eBay over a month to try to get the money from her and then close my ticket. Plus, there were no other bidders. I got my fees back, but the item remained unsold. I used to have a strict policy, like yours, for payment. If I decide to sell again, I'll have to re-instate it.

If eBay would just let sellers leave negative feedback for buyers, it would be easier to tell who the flakers are. And if sellers would stop leaving negative feedback that is labeled "Positive," that would help too. (Some sellers leave the negative feedback but are forced to label it as positive, because that's the only option. :rolleyes: )
Thanks for the update on how it works now. I can see from your situation it was a drain. I had no idea EBay would take a month to get her to pay - and in the meantime, you can't resell the item... I don't blame you for not doing EBay any more.
Reply With Quote Likes