Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lack of innate creativity

Does anyone else feel they are just completely lacking any natural creativity? I started this hobby last September. I LOVE to stamp and make cards, but if it weren't for all the wonderfully creative people on here I would be sitting at the table staring at blank pieces of paper! I have created very few original designs. I spend a lot of time looking for cards I like here and on blogs. I can recreate those cards beautifully! My demo keeps telling me it will come, but I'm not so optimistic!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I think we all felt that way at one time or another, hang in there it gets better!

It's in the Cards! My Blog

Pinterest
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #3  
dfc
Embossing Fanatic

I've only been stamping and cardmaking 2 mths now but I find my designs at their worst when I am either:
1) tired or
2) disturbed by some other worry, concern.

Sometimes I don't even realise I am tired or upset until I actually start making something and halfway through If I am 3 hrs in and still trying to figure out what goes where, I know something is not right and i either need to get some rest or work on what's bothering me.

I dunno if this is the case with you- it could also be just one of those creative block days. :-) It'll get better!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Well I've been hangin' in there for 9 months, and I seriously am no better than when I started! lol I have a serious stampin' up habit though. I've spent thousands (gasp!) so I signed up to be a demo just recently...as a hobbyist, but it's just so frustrating. I think that part of my brain didn't develop somehow! :confused: I'm just sincerely grateful to all of you who share such lovely work, that people like me can replicate!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Location: Margaritaville - I wish, Southern Indiana for real, but a Parrothead at heart.

Whenever I find myself in a "creative blah" I start looking at the challenges for that week. Whether it be the technique, color, or sketch challenge, it always starts the teeny, tiny wheels in my brain turning. Sometimes the challenge doesn't always turn out the way I had imagined it would, but at least I'm heading in the right direction. As my favorite art teacher always said, "sometimes what you start out thinking is a mistake, is really a happy accident." Don't give up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have made hundreds of cards over the years and I'm sure that not very many of them were 100% original!!!!!!!!!! The gallery here always inspires me.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #7  
NwP
Kookie Creator

I felt like this for the longest time, too. It wasn't until I found my own style that I started really liking what I made. I just kept looking at blogs and the gallery until it started to click, until I saw cards that really grabbed me.

For me, personally, it was a CAS style that called to me, but it is different for everyone. Don't give up - it is out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 03:14 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

It also could be that you're looking at too many designs by others. Sometimes, in order to let our own creativity shine through, we need to just make what we like and not try to be "as good as" we think others are. I think the suggestion to just be simple is a good one. Limit yourself to one or two embellishments. We are often our own worst critics. I'm sure that after 9 months of stamping, your cards are quite good. If you enjoy what you're doing, don't worry about it. Just have fun, practice what you'd like to become really good at, and keep doing what you like to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 04:33 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommyto3View Post
Does anyone else feel they are just completely lacking any natural creativity?
All the time! I've been doing this for 5 years and I still feel very confused and insecure when I start a new project. Patterened papers send me 'round the bend! I love them but they scare the heck out of me. LOL

I'll echo everyone else's comments to continue to draw on galleries and blogs for inspiration. It's really just to get the creative juices flowing and your own natural talent will kick in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 05:40 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I felt the same way for the longest time. I couldn't even copy cards well for a long time. Sadly, they are still on my blog for the world to see. I found that by copying different designs I was able to slowly start to find my own style. Participating in challenges was a great way to find inspiration. And I say, if you are enjoying the process whether orginal designs or not just go for it.

I am a total clean and simple girl on my cards and scrapbooks. However, I have found nothing more inspiring that art journaling. I just throw paint and anything I can find on paper with no rhyme or reason. It isn't beautiful, but it makes me so happy.

Like everyone has said, just keep at it and enjoy the process of creating!
A Muse Studio Consultant #1021
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 06:41 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

I've always been a creative, artistic person, but with not having time for quiet awhile now to really sit down and do anything creative or artistic, I feel like I couldn't come up with a decent design of my own or do a good job painting, drawing if you paid me! I totally agree with those that said you can't compare your work to others. It's like in anything, you need to improve on what you've done before - not what others have done. I find if I remind myself to do that and to find the time to work at it, I'm definitely more at ease and the creativity starts to flow. Trying to be as good as whoever else doesn't work. Trying to improve on what I've done (whether it be improving my running times or my drawing technique or card making designs) gives me much more satisfaction and enjoyment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for all your input I definitely know the kind/style of card I like when I see it, and I'm definitely 'good' at recreating it. As for the patterned paper, I love it SO much but, I am a total and complete loss on how to incorporate it myself....but I still love it.

At least you've made me feel as though I'm not a lost cause! lol I guess I'll just keep plugging along, but again I want to thank everyone who is generous enough to share their beautiful work! <3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

I have been stamping for 2 years, but I hung in there, I am no where near what I want to be and still have trouble, but it is fun trying. Since I have all this STUFF, I plan on using it all. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Gosh, it took me years to be happy with the work I did on my own. Natural talent only gets you so far -- it really does take a lot of practice and experience to get really good at something. So just keep creating until you do feel more comfortable and confident in your talents. And there's no shame in recreating a craft project, especially if it makes you happy. It's what drives the crafting industry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Wow you guys sure know how to make me believe in the possibilities! I think I can! I think I can! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

i started stamping years ago but havent done any for a few years.we had a fire ,lots missing and destroyed but a lot survived too.fighting the insurance company just stressed me that i felt no creative feelings at all.i am getting back into it and have lots to catch up on but looking on this site at resources,techniques and just general stamptalk helps a lot.then add the gallery to the list and there are ideas there to copy,expand,alter whatever.just relax and enjoy.
i am reading about ATCs and finding them and inchies fascinating and very challenging.but for me it is fun therapy
br3n
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I have not been doing this for very long. My first card was CASED. Then I decided I wanted to do my own layouts so I practice and practice with challenges. I may see an idea for an element or technique such as an easel card and use it. But I start all of my cards from scratch.
Sometimes it will take me a week to finally get something I like, but it is original
And each time I get a little better and faster at it.

I find that the ideas or colors in my heard frequently don't work out that well on paper :(

Cut a piece of DP you like the size of your card or stamp an image . Then try to figure out what you will put with that. Don't glue anything down . Just keep shuffling stuff until something clicks . When you get stuck leave out what you have done so far in plain view so you can look at it often. An idea will pop into your head.
Keep playing with it and don't rush. This is not a race.
When you finally complete a card YOU designed you will feel accomplished!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Yup... I felt that way about a lot of things. I am a musician and I saw the development of my jazz musicianship and improvisation/creativity take wing once all of the technical mumbo jumbo was really under my fingers and in my head.. The same with stamping. You gotta get the technique, colour theory, design rules SOLID before you can improvise!

I never drew that parallel before today, but it totally makes sense! (to me anyway....) lol... Keep it up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
Yup... I felt that way about a lot of things. I am a musician and I saw the development of my jazz musicianship and improvisation/creativity take wing once all of the technical mumbo jumbo was really under my fingers and in my head.. The same with stamping. You gotta get the technique, colour theory, design rules SOLID before you can improvise!

I never drew that parallel before today, but it totally makes sense! (to me anyway....) lol... Keep it up!
Does anyone know of any books on card design theory??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
hmm.... I only know of the Copic instructional books.. I wonder if there are some good, helpful books that talk about all that goes into cardmaking..

Otherwise, is there some publisher out there that wants to make an author out of me? BWAHAHAHAHAHA... :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I know how you feel--I can catch up on my Google Reader and see all the amazing cards on these fantastic blogs then go into my studio and think WTH?! What am I doing? It's important to not compare yourself to others BTW hahaha
I feel I do better when I have a color challenge or sketch to start me off...and a deadline! I love all the challenges!

I also agree with what everyone else has posted as well--hang in there!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

There's a lot of great advice here. Don't be too hard on yourself. I find that the daily challenges here on SCS are a great way to get the "creative juices flowing". Whether it be the color challenge, the sketch challenge...or any others...they really help by giving you a starting point.

Enjoy your stamping time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommyto3View Post
Wow you guys sure know how to make me believe in the possibilities! I think I can! I think I can! lol
Pretty soon you'll be saying "I KNOW I can".

Val
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValHView Post
Pretty soon you'll be saying "I KNOW I can".

Val
Then one day you will look at a card you made and say " Wow I made that"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Well, I have not made a card since Easter. Didn't even make mother day cards either!

No inpiration, no mojo. I finally made a bday card, cased of course. But then I made another bday card and wiped it out pretty fast, and no inspiration from SCS-I did this baby on my own!!

Have you tried the sketch challenge thread. There are 335 differnt sketchs and this wed will be 336!

This is my downfall with card making, the doggone layout! Cheeck out all the layouts here Totally Awesome!

What is a Sketch Challenge and Master Thread by SCSketches at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 02:16 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I hope someone knows of a book like that. I would buy it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

When I started cardmaking I had no idea about blogs and it's good thing too because I might not have kept stamping if I had compared my cards with what's on the internet. You're one step ahead of me because I couldn't even copy cards well... I tried copying a couple from a woman's magazine and they were horrid. :oops:

In the end it just took practice. It's difficult when you compare your own stuff with others but try not to be hard on yourself and just enjoy the process . I agree with Shadow's Mum, try some of the card sketches on Splitcoast to get you going with your own creativity. Maybe combine a Splitcoast sketch with a colour combination from the Stampin' Up! catalogue to see what you come up with.

Good luck!

Angela
My Stampin' Up! Blog
Join me on Facebook
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by NwPView Post
I felt like this for the longest time, too. It wasn't until I found my own style that I started really liking what I made. I just kept looking at blogs and the gallery until it started to click, until I saw cards that really grabbed me.

For me, personally, it was a CAS style that called to me, but it is different for everyone. Don't give up - it is out there.
What she said.

I'll say it took me almost seven years of plugging away to get to my CAS style. There are times when it really pays to be obsessive, LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #29  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 207 Likes on 186 Posts

I'm with all of you.....really enjoyed the craft but was not pleased with the results.
It took me a very long time to find my niche too.....love cas....
I would stress out about making the elaborate cards....I do like changing it up sometimes though. Keep with it....lots of inspiration here.
Reply With Quote Likes