Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids and stamping?

HOw old were your kids before you let them stamp? My son is soon to be 4 and loves to play with all my stuff, which I rather him not, so I splurged and went to the dollar store with him and got him his own craft stuff, we already had some, but you know how kids are....

I'd like to show him some of my bigger stamps I use, like the rollers, but it kinda makes me nerves....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I didn't start stamping until I had grandkids, and I started each of them at three years old. Make sure you have some washable ink stamp pads. And stamps with big spaces for coloring in with markers or crayons. Just make sure everything he is using is washable and let him have fun. Also the big pads of cheap white or colored paper is better than cardstock (and cheaper) for the little beginners.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

My kids are 5 and 3, and I think it really depends on the child.

My 5-year-old is one of those kids who was born "old", and he already bought his own set of BIC Mark-Its. (I've explained how you do and don't use them, and I always supervise.) My 3-year-old? I doubt I'll let her use permanent markers until she's at least 13 - maybe more like 16. She's just one of those scatter-brained people (no offense).

I did make each of them their own craft kit, though: child scissors, glue stick, washable ink, a few kid-friendly stamps (big designs), washable markers, glitter glue (my dd's was confiscated shortly thereafter), and some pre-cut paper and pre-scored cards. They love to craft while I am, and this keeps them from asking for all my stuff. I got most of it at the dollar store, too, so it wouldn't upset me too much if it got destroyed.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

My daughter started stamping last year, when she was 2. I bought kids stamp pads from SU! and some bigger foam stamps that were easy for her to hold.

Here is a picture of her stamping, she's such a sweetie!

As you can see, she wears a little smock with sleeves, otherwise she'd get ink on arms/shirt. I let her use those sometimes, but still with her own kids ink pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Teens

My boys are teens and have been stamping/scraping for a few years with all their own supplies. My 16 yr old is very talented at art but very messy (he has special needs). The first time he messed up a SU ink pad of mine I headed out for his own supplies. I got him a fairly nice pack of I think 24 ink pads at Hobby Lobby for 1/2 off. He especially likes making ATCs.
I try to find items for my boys at scrapbook store garage sales. We're going to one in the morning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

My girls (9 and 6) stamp with me since I started stamping about 3 years ago so they were 6 and 3. They also have their own stamps but always use my stuff, lol!

It really depends on their interests! if they want to do it and enjoy it! is good to do something together!!

Love,
Diana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I just taught my nieces how to stamp over the holidays. I just did a blog post on the experience

http://creativegrace.typepad.com/my_...with-kids
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
My daughter started stamping last year, when she was 2. I bought kids stamp pads from SU! and some bigger foam stamps that were easy for her to hold.

Here is a picture of her stamping, she's such a sweetie!

As you can see, she wears a little smock with sleeves, otherwise she'd get ink on arms/shirt. I let her use those sometimes, but still with her own kids ink pads.
It's a totally off-topic comment, but I just LOVE the Pilgrim Card you have on your blog! I am making that as my Thanksgiving card this year
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I started my nephew and niece at 2 and 4. My nephew loves to stamp the fire engine in red ink and then smear it along so that it looks like it is racing. My niece preferred the little hedgehogs (Penny Black). They also LOVE stickles. And they loved punching out paper flowers (from thin cheap xerox paper) using scallop punches. Now they are 3 and 5 and have a stamp set of their own with washable red and blue ink.

Wow, I just noticed this is an old thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My girls started when I did, five years ago, so they would have been 4 and 7 years old at the time. At the time, I limited how many stamps we dragged out and how many colors, and supervised every step. I have never been concerned about ink stains on rubber or blocks, so that took a lot of pressure off. Over time, the girls have greatly expanded the techniques that they use and have shown that they respect our tools and supplies, so now (ages 9 and 12) they have free reign to create things in my stamp room, even if I'm not right nearby to supervise.

It took me awhile to be okay with them getting into the designer paper, ribbon, and other embellishments. But then I realized that I have enough of those things to stock a medium-sized store, and am always buying more. Keeping the supplies as organized as possible is the key for us. If it's obvious where something goes, they're much more likely to put it back.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

My DD stamps with me all the time, and has since probably age 3. I agree that it is best to start with washable ink pads - they clean up easily and you won't find a Night of Navy heart in the middle of your Pretty in Pink pad. I wait for them to go on sale at HL and you can get them for around $1 each.

Now, she's almost 8, and stamps a lot. We share stamps (I don't care if they get a little ink on the wood) and she is starting to even get to use some of my pads. When she first started, she would always try to copy whatever I did. Now, she's getting more independent in her style. I do share whatever I have with her - I buy ti to enjoy it, and seeing her enjoy it makes it even more wonderful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

My son is two and has already used my stamps with his washable stamp pads. He is pretty tidy, so I don't worry too much about messes as long as I am working in the same area with him.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

so great to hear how everyone is passing on the love to the little ones It's great to see kids have their own creative outlet and see what they will create. I'm amazed at watching the wheels turn in my nieces head
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 01:08 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I would say start when they are interested - sponge painting is a good place to start when really young. My DD started about aged 2 but was very dexterous and this is her aged nearly 4 doing what she does best

http://woodcoteblog.blogspot.com/200...irdresser.html

Rachel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 04:07 AM   #15  
Inking Addict

My daughter had her own little collection of stamps when she was around 3 1/2 years old. She would sit at my crafting desk and stamp and it was like looking at a much younger version of myself! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 06:12 AM   #16  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Markie has been stamping for over 3 years. He loves art, so that makes a BIG difference. He was 6 when he decided he wanted his own stampin' table, art table, light box and Copics...And, yes, alas, he has them all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 06:13 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

My son Loves to watch me craft so he has had his own stuff since he was 2 and he is now 4.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 06:18 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,061 Likes on 816 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
I started my nephew and niece at 2 and 4. My nephew loves to stamp the fire engine in red ink and then smear it along so that it looks like it is racing. My niece preferred the little hedgehogs (Penny Black). They also LOVE stickles. And they loved punching out paper flowers (from thin cheap xerox paper) using scallop punches. Now they are 3 and 5 and have a stamp set of their own with washable red and blue ink.

Wow, I just noticed this is an old thread!
I was looking through this thread thinking I was sure I posted to it yesterday, and getting quite puzzled. Thanks, Sophie, for helping me remember that when I saw it was an old thread I didn't bother posting what I had written .
Reply With Quote Likes