Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping Sets Together

I keep my wood mounted stamps in storage drawers sorted by theme but my Stampin' Up stamps are together as sets in a basket. I was just thinking if it's really necessary to keep the sets together. I think I'd use them more if they were sorted among my other stamps by theme which would probably still keep them basically together with the exception of the words/verses which I have seperate drawer for as well. Anyone have thoughts about why they prefer to keep the stamp sets together?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am having a real issue with my scrap area and did separate all my stampin up sets into different drawers. Now I am finding that after a year I have not used a certain stamp I am putting them back into the set again to sell. I don't know if this is a good reason. If you really truly love a stamp from a set (and I do have some of those) put them into sorted. I know having the words all together helps me with a sentiment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

I have seperated some of my SU sets. The small backgrounds, the sentiment sets and anything else that didn't necessarily have to stay together (like a set with a leaf, a butterfly, a flower and a sentiment). I have my loose wood stamps sorted into drawers by theme (like flowers, animals, backgrounds, etc) and put the seperated SU with them. I just make sure to write in a fine tip permanent marker on the side of the block which set it came from in case I change my mind. I also stamp them all together on a sheet I put in a notebook so I have a quick reference to what went together.

I do think I use these loose stamps more than when they were in sets because they were visible everytime I open the drawer rather than remember that I had them and looking for the plastic container the set was in. The great thing about doing this is that it's not permanent. You can put them back together whenever you want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with Peepsmama about having an index of your stamps. It really helps me when I'm looking for stamps, whether I'm looking for a specific stamp, or just browsing to see what I feel like using. This way you can stamp them off onto paper into themes and by company too, and still keep the sets together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 01:57 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I so often don't know what sentiments I have. Am tempted to make a photocopy of all the "complete sets", then separate them by categories. Are there others who have done this? What's your opinion?

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I like to keep my sets together. If I do remove a stamp to store it somewhere else I write on the wood what set it comes from. I also keep a master book with all the sets I have.. in case I misplace a stamp I can find its home later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I think you should do what works best for you and your way of organizing. If you plan to sell your sets somewhere down the road, you can just make a photocopy or list of which stamps belong in each set before you separate them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

For me and my limited space keeping the stamps in their sets is easier to manage. I photocopy the set--usually the label sheet prior to adhering-or just lay all the stamps on the copier. I make 2 copies. One of these I cut so it fits in the front of the stamp case. The other I put in a notebook (for me I alphabetize my notebook & if no name etc then I put it under theme name). This way when I want to make something I can go through my book and see what I have to work with. Also if I find a poor lost stamp on my table I know where it belongs. You just have to find what works for you--it may take a few tries but for me this works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2010, 03:58 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I separated all of my sets some time ago, and have found this works for me. I just found I wasn't using them when they were in sets, and sometimes even ended up buying something really similar because I didn't know what I had! I keep everything sorted by theme (flower, christmas, halloween, thank you, etc). I don't resell my sets, so this hasn't been an issue, but I agree that making a note of which set it belongs to is a good idea if you plan to resell. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2010, 07:07 AM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently combined my sets by theme and art style. I LOVE IT and wish I had done it sooner. I posted photos with lots of info in the photo description area in my gallery:
Saving Space! (1) - Anna Wight by SweetMissDaisy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Saving Space! (3) - Anna Wight by SweetMissDaisy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2010, 07:11 AM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Also, for the most part, I pulled out all sentiments and combined them with my other misc sentiments. But if a sentiment really only works nicely with the set (like the crab set with all his crabby puns) I left those kinds of sentiments in the same container with the images from the set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I did what I thought was The Unthinkable and broke up all my SU! sets. I have my wood block stamps organised by categories - trees and flowers, birds, animals etc.

Sentiments are grouped by theme - Birthday, Baby, Wedding etc.

I have all my wood block stamps on display, so I can just stand in front of them and browse.

My clear stamps are another story, mostly grouped by company and/or size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons2View Post
I so often don't know what sentiments I have. Am tempted to make a photocopy of all the "complete sets", then separate them by categories. Are there others who have done this? What's your opinion?

Wanda
I can't imagine how I did it any other way.

I made a catalog of every image I own, by category (wedding, baby, nature, sports, and so on). I made a note under each image about the manufacture, and particular SU! set name.

I then took all of my SU! sets out of their clamshells and now store them by broad category in a cabinet with a bunch of shallow drawers.

My clamshells are stored elsewhere in a giant plastic tub.

This freed up so much space. The clamshells are not at all efficient. There's wasted space inside, and the lip means they don't even stack well.

Now, when I'm ready to make a card, I flip through my catalog. I can choose the images I want and go right to where they are stored (my unmounted stamps are stored in three-ring binders).

I never forget what I own, and I find that designing cards is really easy now that I can see every image easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2010, 08:10 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

I unfortunately keep all of my set together. I am afraid that I would misplace a stamp and well. I am not as organized as the others who have thier lists and all that jazz. I bet if I would get gutsy enough to separate my stamp sets that I would tend to use more on my projects then trying to create around a stamp set. Clear as mud? Well that goes to show you that is how I keep track of my stamps. Arghh I want to be more organized.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks to everyone for sharing your opinions and what's worked for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

I started separating my stamps about 6-8 months ago (I am reorganizing everything) and it is working out so much better for me. And I am spending less time searching for that "perfect stamp I know I have somewhere" I also mix su! & non-su! stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I think if you decide to separate your sets, you'll be happy you did. For years, I never thought I would do it. But now that I have, I LOVE that I did it, and only wish I'd done it sooner!!

Not only am I using the stamps more, but it's so much easier to combine images from different sets that still look like they could be from the same set. This is why I also used line art style as one of my organizing methods.

I also like that now all of the containers are the same size and shape. It makes storage so much more tidy, looks neat and organized on the shelf, and takes up less space.

The storage option I chose (Stampendous Thin, Thick and Thicker containers) also have options that work well for unmounted and cling mounted stamps too. And because the Thin and Thick containers have the same outer dimension (8.5x11) as the Thicker containers (which is the size that fit wood mount stamps) they all fit nicely on the shelf with my combined wood sets. No more stacks of SU clam shells, two or thee stacks deep on the shelf. Instead, they all line up nicely, like books.

It's a solution that works perfectly for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2010, 06:37 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

I have done this too and am much happier. I actually do the same as Anna and break them down into different sentiments groups, themes like Birthday, Halloween, etc and also break them down into certain "styles" of stamps...such as Line Art Florals, 2-step Stamping Florals, Goth Kids (for my Daniel Torrence stamps), etc. Then I really know what I am looking for and where to find it. Each of my boxes has a piece of paper that I have typed out what stamps are in that box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 04:26 AM   #19  
Inking Addict

I store my stamps by category - trees & leaves, critters, flowers, etc. I split my SU sets into those categories EXCEPT those sets that are size or shape specific - like the tiny tags. Those I store as sets as I think I'll use them in shape specific projects.

I'm curious to know how you all feel about unmounting wood mounted stamps? Have you done it? Are you happy with the results?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 05:39 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I have gone back and forth on this one many times. I have ended up keeping my sets together because in general most SU stamps are a particular style within each set and by keeping them together I always have the perfect
other images that would work with that stamp.

That works best for me, because I am probably a little OCD about not mixing up image styles on a particular card (except maybe sayings)

Now that I am unmounting, I am saving some space by putting Similar type or similar style sets together in one container. So I may have all my get well sets in one container or Sentiments or toile, etc.

Someday, I'll index them all, but who knows when someday will be!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 05:41 AM   #21  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I would never separate my stamp sets, guess I'm just overly organized like that. I had thought about making index sheets of all my stamps, but that seemed like such a chore to me (not to mention the room another binder would take up). I have since decided to photograph all of my stamps and then when I need to find a certain stamp all I need to do is to look through my photos. For me this is quicker and easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 05:41 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons2View Post

Wanda
I am going to make a suggestion that takes a lot of work, but is worth it in the end. I bought a little black journal at B&N, it's 5.5"x3.5". Small enough to carry in my purse. It has blank pages. I put all my supplies in that book. I colored on perfect white paper with my copics and punched out small circles and glued them into the book. (too many times I bought a copic in a new shade, just to discover it was nearly the same as one I already had). I made lists of all my glitter, alcohol inks, sprays, stickles, distress powder, pearls and paints. I found a very small bold stamp and stamped in every color in every category of my inks. And then I did the impossible- I stacked all my stamps onto my scanner and scanned page after page, all of them including the clear, the wood mount, the unmounted, every single one. I reduced each page to fit in the book and glued it in. It sounds like more work than it was, but it was the best investment of time I've ever spent on organization.

Every time I want to work on a project, I flip through the book and see what I've got. I'm using stamps now that I forgot I had, some I bought 10 or more years ago! My projects are more varied, I'm having more fun, and best of all my Little Black Book has saved me several times from buying something I already had! Sometimes you are standing in a store, and it's always a store far away where a return would be next to impossible- well, if you have your book, you'll know if you have that swirl or that ink or whatever.

My Little Black Book is my best crafting friend. And the time I invested in making it has more than made up for the time I used to spend digging through supplies looking to see what I could use.

-c
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 06:38 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

For some reason I can't pull my sets apart.

I do have an index and now that I've moved I'm going to put like-minded sets together (in their clamshell boxes) in wicker baskets. Birthday together, Christmas etc.

Now that I have over 100 sets that only makes sense! Just never got around to it before. I have lots of room to store my sets, so that's why I can store them this way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 07:00 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

I used to keep all mine in their original clamshells but after tons of debate I broke down and split all my stamps into categories. I idexed them on a rolodex so that I can sort and resort as my needs change. I categorized them into clear storage drawers and I find that I use them so much more now. I even have gotten to the point that I store seasonal stamps in the cardboard scrapbook boxes in another room when I am not using them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 07:09 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

I cannot bring myself to split up my sets. I have more Stampin' Up! than anything else. I started to made a binder and it just wasn't working for me.

I do have a word document with them listed by set. To find something, I can go to that and use the CTRL F and find whatever I'm looking for. This works for me. I still need to add all my non SU to this "database."

I like the idea of photos. I may have to pursue that, but still like my document and being able to have it search for me.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 07:27 AM   #26  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by mztamelaView Post
I cannot bring myself to split up my sets. I have more Stampin' Up! than anything else. I started to made a binder and it just wasn't working for me.

I do have a word document with them listed by set. To find something, I can go to that and use the CTRL F and find whatever I'm looking for. This works for me. I still need to add all my non SU to this "database."

I like the idea of photos. I may have to pursue that, but still like my document and being able to have it search for me.

Good luck!
I should have said that I have a word document too (which I love). Plus I keep my sets in alphabetical order on my list and on my shelves. This way they are easy to find. I keep my photos stored in my photo bucket account and it's so easy to just browse through my photos- sometimes I do this when I need some inspiration.

The only thing I don't have on my word doc. is a list of my punches. I keep meaning to add them, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I just recently started seperating my sets. I was very worried about keeping them together in case I decided to sell, but I finally realized that the sets I have are my favorites. And the day I decide to sell those is the day I decide I don't want to do this anymore. I have even gone through sets and only kept 1 or 2 stamps I like and the rest will be given away or stored in the attic. My newly organized stamps are neat and together, so I now can see that my 3 thicker boxes full of flower stamps are probably more than enough and I will not need anymore birthday sayings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

I have my stamps set up both ways NOW! Since SU came out with their clear mounts, I keep these in their folders. But a very long time ago I started separating some of my sets into flowers, greetings, etc. I have an entire drawer of birthday greetings, one of thank you, etc. I find that I use them more if they are together instead of in sets. But having said that I also find I don't use some because I don't think of them. I also indexed them a long time ago and have given away so many sets and have acquired so may sets and gotten lazy that I don't look at my index as much. I've started using my old SU sets lately and that old index came in handy for the stamp set name so I could put the name on my blog under the card. I just read this and it sounds like I'm a mess - but I'm not
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 AM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

I can't seperate my sets. It just doesn't work for me. I came up with an electronic solution that I love. It takes a little maintenance when new stamps join my collention but now it has become routine for me. For my individual stamps I scanned them all. For my acrylic and SU stamps I scanned in the image sheets. From there I used the windows snippet tool to cut the images into seperate jpg files. Then I upload the images into my Digital photo software (I use Memory Manager by Creative Memories) to organize the images. I have images taged by theme, size, solid, outline etc. It is super easy for me to "search" by key word or filter down into the tagged items. For example, if I search by cupcake the results are all of my cupcake images and any sentiment that has the word cupcake in it. It even tells me what set they are from. I can filter further if I want the "small" cupcakes. Or if I'm looking for a birthday sentiment I simply filter on my birthday folder...you get the idea. I suppose I could print out the folder groups from the software if I wanted to but I haven't found that necessary since my laptop is close to my crafting space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 AM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

I keep my SU sets stacked alphabetically by size in an old cabinet. I have a picture of each set, in sheet protectors, in a 3 ring binder. I alphabetize the sets and have them in sections by sets, greetings, borders & backgrounds. I use parts of sets a lot more now that I can just glance through the notebook for what I want and then go to the cabinet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Default Here's what I do

I can't imagine not breaking my sets up....if I want a flower I want flower and if I want a butterfly I want a butterfly. For me the only way I can find my stamps easily is to file them by item. Then I put them on hanging files, cut into two pieces, label them and keep them in a box right beside me. I have hundreds and hundreds and stamp filed this way and they're handy and hardly taking up any room at all. Here's a picture
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jana ZView Post
I separated all of my sets some time ago, and have found this works for me. I just found I wasn't using them when they were in sets, and sometimes even ended up buying something really similar because I didn't know what I had! I keep everything sorted by theme (flower, christmas, halloween, thank you, etc). I don't resell my sets, so this hasn't been an issue, but I agree that making a note of which set it belongs to is a good idea if you plan to resell. Good luck!
This is what I have always done and am not sorry at all. I continue to use permanent wood mounted as I don't want to have to take out a stamp, find the right block and adhere it before I can stamp. If I want a rose, I go to the proper flower drawer and choose the rose I want, pull it out and stamp! I am continuously amazed at how well different type stamps (i.e. watercolor style and distinct outline types can go together. It has released some creativity I didn't think I had! My sentiments are all divided by category as well, so I can go to the thank yous or birthdays and find the size/style that works best for my card. That being said, I do write the name of the SU set on the wood block in permanent ink, not on the chance I would sell them (if I am sure I will not use the stamp too much, or need to make more room, I will give my stamps away to someone just getting started or who I know has little money for extras), but so that I can check on SCS in the gallery for ideas on how to use that stamp, if I get stuck. We all must do what works. This just happens to work perfectly for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetMissDaisyView Post
I think if you decide to separate your sets, you'll be happy you did. For years, I never thought I would do it. But now that I have, I LOVE that I did it, and only wish I'd done it sooner!!

Not only am I using the stamps more, but it's so much easier to combine images from different sets that still look like they could be from the same set. This is why I also used line art style as one of my organizing methods.

I also like that now all of the containers are the same size and shape. It makes storage so much more tidy, looks neat and organized on the shelf, and takes up less space.

The storage option I chose (Stampendous Thin, Thick and Thicker containers) also have options that work well for unmounted and cling mounted stamps too. And because the Thin and Thick containers have the same outer dimension (8.5x11) as the Thicker containers (which is the size that fit wood mount stamps) they all fit nicely on the shelf with my combined wood sets. No more stacks of SU clam shells, two or thee stacks deep on the shelf. Instead, they all line up nicely, like books.

It's a solution that works perfectly for me!
Where do you get the Stampendous containers? That sounds really great to me. I separate stamps, but, so far reuse the clam shell boxes from SU. The lips are a pain and the rounded shapes and tapered sides frustrating for fitting in rectangular stamps. Thanks for any info you can give me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #34  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Where do you get the Stampendous containers? That sounds really great to me. I separate stamps, but, so far reuse the clam shell boxes from SU. The lips are a pain and the rounded shapes and tapered sides frustrating for fitting in rectangular stamps. Thanks for any info you can give me.
You can order direct from Stampendous.com, and I've also heard of some people buying them on ebay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #35  
Cardstock Collector

Default What I did

Bought some CD cases without the black insert, unmounted all my rubber stamps and then put them into the CD cases with a picture of what the stamps were. They take up about 1/10 of the space they used to and I can see them clearly through the CD case. Best thing I ever did!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2010, 04:27 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetMissDaisyView Post
You can order direct from Stampendous.com, and I've also heard of some people buying them on ebay.
Thanks so much for the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
I have since decided to photograph all of my stamps and then when I need to find a certain stamp all I need to do is to look through my photos. For me this is quicker and easier.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea! Takes no paper, ink (stamping or printer) and only virtual space!! I am hopping on this task right away!:cool:

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

I may be ****, but my friend Lynn (we are so much alike), told me when I got back into stamping, to start a binder. I have shelving units that I keep my SU sets on, categorized by occassion or holiday. The binder is separated the same way, and all of my sets are either stamped in there or I scan the sheet in. Once I do that, I write on that paper, the name of the set, the category it is in and how many stamps are in the set. This way, when I need something, I go to the binder. I also have a section for CTMH, TAC, loose stamps and SU wheels. Now, when I need a stamp, I just go in the book and it tells me exactly where to look on the shelf.

It sounds like a PITA, but trust me, when you get the book done, keeping up with it is nothin'.

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
My Facebook Stamping page/group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/221943441186603/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #39  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I separated my set ages ago as I hate to look through multiple boxes for what I want. I also used to keep a journal of my stamps but it was always out of date. In Jan of this year I was going to finally update my journal and I had an ah-ha moment. I realized I never used the journal. When I wanted something I just go to the category.

I have unmounted all my stamps and I have my stamps organized by items such as people: oldies, women, men, collage, etc. I tossed out my binders - yep, all of them, and I do not have one regret and I do have an stamped index in the front of each binder so I see what is in the binder. When I add a new stamp to the binder I just stamp the image on the index sheet and note the company.

Exception: I'm a SU demo and I keep the current sets together in a separate area stored in alpha order. I am in the process of unmounting all the current wood mount sets and storing them in DVD cases. When the set retires, they I will move them to a applicable Univenture binder.

It has been almost a year now and I love not having a journal of stamps as for once I don't have a huge backlog of updates. Woo-Hoo!! more time to stamp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2010, 04:18 AM   #40  
Compulsive Stamper

Default separating sets

I separate some sets by theme - took me awhile, too, to break them up. I am a SU demo'er, so I order the jumbo clamshell boxes and label by theme. Great to pull out Thanksgiving, and have lots of sizes of greetings and a few turkeys, all together!! So far my themes are Valentines, Love, Halloween, sailboats, angels, baby stuff, summer images, Fall leaves, invitation sentiments, tags by size, To/From, etc. Several boxes of Christmas sayings. When a customer needs a specific stamp, and I have several similar ones, I gift it!! I do lose some stamps - like the heart that goes with one angel, etc, but love having a choice of sizes of images, and find little images all the time that would have been lost in a larger set. Most of my stamps are still wood mounts, esp the ones I use most - like itty bitty backgrounds.
Reply With Quote Likes