Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-05-2014, 05:48 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it just me?!

For the past few years most of my Christmas "cards" are those photo post cards that are not even hand signed! The names are printed on the cards.:confused: To me this seems very impersonal, and downright insulting to someone who makes all their cards! I enjoy the photos, but I miss getting actual Christmas cards with an actual signature on them! Maybe even a little personal note at the bottom. I know, now I'm getting crazy.

I know people are busy, but I find it so sad that in a world that has more ways of communicating than ever before, we now communicate the least.

Please don't attack me on this, I'm only venting.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 06:32 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I admit I am guilty of doing the photo cards usually just because I don't have enough time to make my own. But I can tell you I appreciate the homemade cards much, much more and I always wish I had made the time to do our own. I am planning to make that time this year though!

I believe that homemade cards are just so much more meaningful - for any occasion - and I know that the ones from my husband's grandfather always get saved for "one day." (He doesn't make them, obviously, but he always signs them with a message. So I keep them knowing that one day that will be all we have.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 06:34 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

We normally only get about 4 of them during Christmas. And most of them are just pictures with the kids and then the family name at the bottom.

What gripes me more than anything is the long letters that come with the cards. We get 5 of them a year from family members. We don't hear from them the whole year, even though I make a card for their birthdays and anniversary. And then you get a letter, telling about their awards, their purchases, their trips......

I only get a couple of handmade cards. And that is from the girls that got me started on homemade cards to begin with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 06:50 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm a firm believer of different strokes for different folks. TBH I am thankful to get a card whether is signed or not, the thought was there to send me(us) something.

I tend to print my "5 page letter" on the inside front of our card because I don't send everyone a birthday/anniversary/etc card throughout the year. That really keeps it to that year's highlights!

AND I tend to pre-print our inside Christmas greeting with our names at the bottom*. But I thought it looked weird so I tend to sign our last name beneath it.

AND I have taken on the custom of addressing people personally inside the card so that is always handwritten and I do my best to include everyone by name (including pets).

Last year my cousin sent everyone (I know) a mass produced picture card and me a handmade one. I messaged her on FB and thanked her and told her how cute it was and that I really appreciated it.

*I started doing that because people obviously can't read my handwriting. When your kids get renamed by distant friends sometimes you just have to help them. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 06:53 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're certainly entitled to dislike photo cards. But I don't think photo cards are insulting to cardmakers. (Do you find store bought cards equally insulting?) I don't think anyone intends for them to be competition.

Besides, for many families who are sending those cards, the alternative isn't a handmade card or a storebought card-- it's nothing at all. I'd rather get the photo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 06:55 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddy'smamaView Post

What gripes me more than anything is the long letters that come with the cards. We get 5 of them a year from family members. We don't hear from them the whole year, even though I make a card for their birthdays and anniversary. And then you get a letter, telling about their awards, their purchases, their trips......
Agreed!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aaah, the newsletters! I did not think people did those anymore...it seems like no one likes to get them!! Johnny is a star, smartest one in his whole preschool!! Jenny won the Nobel Peace Prize, again, for her work on getting all 3rd world children Starbucks Tripple Shot Espresso so they could haul buckets of water faster! We are so proud of her. Mikey got another promotion, he is the youngest french fry slicer to work at the restaurant since 1976. And, of course, the fabulous MISTER Wonderful is taking me to Russia to mine for my own diamonds this holiday!! Can you picture me in a pith hat?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gram2boyzView Post
For the past few years most of my Christmas "cards" are those photo post cards that are not even hand signed! The names are printed on the cards.:confused: To me this seems very impersonal, and downright insulting to someone who makes all their cards! I enjoy the photos, but I miss getting actual Christmas cards with an actual signature on them! Maybe even a little personal note at the bottom. I know, now I'm getting crazy.

I know people are busy, but I find it so sad that in a world that has more ways of communicating than ever before, we now communicate the least.

Please don't attack me on this, I'm only venting.
Just because I make my own cards, does not mean I expect homemade stamped cards in return. How can I expect this when I am the ONLY one in both families that stamp????

I am not offend with photo cards or store bought cards. I am just happy someone thought of us during the Christmas season to make time and send us a card.

To tell you the truth I ave two Christmas card list. Those that receive a homemade stamped card and those that receive a store bought card. Reasons for this is a whole nutter thread;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

OK. I love getting any cards - even if it is a cheap boughten card with only their signature. They still took the time to do it. I like to make my own - and not just because I love making cards, but because it gives me an excuse to keep buying Chrismtas paper! We probably send out somewhere between 60-75 cards each year. If I'm on the ball, there is a picture enclosed. And a 'canned' letter. I try to be informative and not brag, and those recipients of it tell me they enjoy it. I love the letters, bragging or not. It gives me a glimpse of their world and I am old enough to realize that every family has a little 'dysfunction' in it. Some just more than others! Love them all! The only part that makes me sad is that every year fewer people send out cards! So, in order for me not to be sad, if anyof you want to send me a card, let me know. I will share my address with you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yeah, I don't do the brag thing - but more updates. What the kids are doing and what we have done. As I said, you can't get too much on 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
Aaah, the newsletters! I did not think people did those anymore...it seems like no one likes to get them!!
I love getting the long newsletters. (And I send one, too)
So much better than just a signature.
And "just a signature" is better than no card at all (as is a photo card, I'm not insulted, just happy they remembered me).

Overall, it seems like I get only 30 or 40% of the cards that I used to get, even though I send the same number or more than I used to. I just think that with email, Facebook, etc, the tradition of staying in touch at the holidays is less necessary or less meaningful than it was. People can easily stay in touch all year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Yeah, I don't do the brag thing - but more updates. What the kids are doing and what we have done. As I said, you can't get too much on 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 card.
I don't mind the updates, but I hate the brag letters. And seriously that is all we get. For example, DH's brother got their house foreclosed on and they had to move into a apartment own by a family member. (which one of the kids told a cousin, who told their parents, who told.....) But in the letter at Christmas that we got, it had about their trip to Disney land, their brand new truck and van and also about the trip they were taking in a week. And this letter was 2 type pages long.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 11:10 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddy'smamaView Post
I don't mind the updates, but I hate the brag letters. And seriously that is all we get. For example, DH's brother got their house foreclosed on and they had to move into a apartment own by a family member. (which one of the kids told a cousin, who told their parents, who told.....) But in the letter at Christmas that we got, it had about their trip to Disney land, their brand new truck and van and also about the trip they were taking in a week. And this letter was 2 type pages long.
I understand focusing on the positive but that is downright delusional.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 03:22 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm one who saves all those photo Christmas cards and keeps them in a scrapbook so I can see the changes over the years. I've done this for almost 15 years now and the little kids are all grown up and raising children of their own. I also have 2 Christmas card list - one for my handmade cards and another for store bought cards. I address and sign all the cards and include a letter in the cards to people we only hear from at Christmas, updating them on our life, our health and hobbies. The latest trend I've seen is sending only a letter in a business size envelope, no card, Christmas message or photo. One relative stopped sending cards and a letter last year, informing us the Christmas before that he would now call family and friends during the year instead. He said he saves money on cards, stamps and can call weekends and nights free!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #15  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

I'm a firm believer of different strokes for different folks. TBH I am thankful to get a card whether is signed or not, the thought was there to send me(us) something.
Amen, Sister
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Funny topic - I like to get store bought cards as much as handmade but the photo cards annoy me for some reason (hubby too). They seem like the extension of the self-absorbed selfie takers. I don't know WHY they make me feel like that - I am just a meanie i guess. As for the newsletters we have only ever received those from one friend but hers are absolutely hysterical where she pokes fun at her family and all newsletter senders so it is worth it! I wish I was as funny as she is!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

My daughter used to make a newsletter of sorts for her cards. She made it into a poem highlighting all the meaningful events of the past year. Everybody loved them! They were quite good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

I know what you mean, but I have a very different take on this. But I do understand where you are coming from!

All the photo cards I get are from people with kids. They are VERY busy, many with both parents working full time. They may have gotten the family together, dressed a certain way, had to take quite a few photos, sent the order in, picked the style of card, got them back, addressed, mailed them.

I feel they must take lots of time. I feel they are special and personal and take way more thought and time than buying a box of cards. Also, they are so very special because it's their family! I think they take lots of work, even it's just a photo they already had. But that's just my take on it.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 09-05-2014 at 06:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

This thread made me feel really bad. My husband and I send out photo cards to most of our family members. Just us and our cat (we have no kids) and the Christmas after we got married we used our wedding photos. I assure you we aren't lazy or "self-absorbed selfie takers". We just enjoy sharing photos with our relatives most of which don't live nearby so we rarely see them. We don't do newsletters though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirlFridayView Post
This thread made me feel really bad. My husband and I send out photo cards to most of our family members. Just us and our cat (we have no kids) and the Christmas after we got married we used our wedding photos. I assure you we aren't lazy or "self-absorbed selfie takers". We just enjoy sharing photos with our relatives most of which don't live nearby so we rarely see them. We don't do newsletters though.
oh don't feel bad.

If it is any consolation I have always regretted not being organized enough to do a photo card! :shock:

And is it me, but I have always felt the photocard should at least come with the yearly update letter?!?!?! (seriously not poking the grizzly here) but I know the first couple of photo cards we got I looked on the back for more. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 733 Likes on 355 Posts

Hey you vent anytime you want. Your fellow cardiy peeps get it. ((hugs))

OMgosh...you guys killing me with the letter humor!!

I am ok with them. I also usually save then for the photobooks. The point that for people far away like Aunt Tillie you only see every 5 years...it's good for them-I agree with that.

Handmade though...THOSE get saved and cherished and go up EVERY year thereafter in a special space just for the "best of the best"...handmade, or really stunning/funny bought cards...or wonderful sentiments inside. Some are from people who are gone now so it's like having a little piece of them around I have a bunch from an old woman who paints with her senior group. I have a bunch of fabric trees made with old fashioned plastic coffee stirres and yarn by a deceased friend who deisgned fabric for work.

One woman sent me bought cards that popped into shapes...buildings, xmas trees, cars, santa...I kept them all and make a little "village" with them on my bookcase ledge. There is about a dozen of them now.

Can you sap? LOL. It's ok. I know I am.

I too have 2 card lists-the handmade and the bought.

Besides if people didnt do the pics cards-we would never get those lists of pics of ugly sweater whole family shots that get passed around that time year Those cheer me up when I am getting ready to get psychotic from holiday shopping.

The letters dont bother me in any format. My mom never bragged on me like that...I bet it makes a kid feel great! And what do we want to get? "We both had our annual colonoscopies, DH had to get a partial dental bridge, the dog is limping from a tumor..."?? It cheers me up to think there are so many noble prize winners running around since it feels to me like the world is going to the hot zone in basket with rollerskates. I take the next generation of Einsteins.

Sadly we are well past the time when people reciprocate what they get. I am lucky if I get at all from 1/3 of what I send. (so actually the wall with the special cards bulks up the look)

Last edited by wavejumper; 09-05-2014 at 08:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Don't feel bad; I love to see photo cards especially from people we don't see regularly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 12:44 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

GirlFriday- Don't you feel bad. I think your sweet. I like to penpal. I send long letters & photos all the time. When I do my Christmas cards I treated them like my pen pal letters. It was just habit. I had a lot of elderly family and they loved the long letters and photos.

I like photo's and long letters. I don't get insulted if I receive a card that is printed and not hand signed. I have friends with high profile careers they just don't have the time to sign the cards. I have two friends right now on the campaign trails and I am happy to get a two word e-mail, lol. I have a friend who every year has her cards done professionally. They are stunning. She spends a lot of money on them. She leaves her card blank to me and always writes a note because she knows I will save her card and use it in my art work. She's the sweetest.

I guess I am the odd one I like happy mail in any form it comes in hand crafted. not happening. I am the only one in my group who makes cards. Long newsy letters or printed cards. To me it shows the great friends I have and the type of personalities they have. That's what I love about my friends and family.

I am guess I am lucky I never got the newsletter "My child is the #1 in the whole world." That would make me mad. In my group we all write back and tell her that's not true, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 02:13 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Doesn't this thread just show how we are all different and we can't please everyone? We all have our takes and views on things and there is just no way you can make everyone happy. :0) From someone who needs approval from others for some odd reason, makes me feel like not even trying as there is never a chance to feel good in any situation - someone is displeased despite your best intentions.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 04:27 AM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

I am guilty of the News letter and for the last 2years photo cards. Our son got married in 2012 and our daughter got married last year. Both cards were family pictures from the weddings. I had no idea my cards and letters were so offensive!! I guess it would be much better not to remember my friends and family at all!! I am a card maker but have decided that it's better to spend my limited time (work 50+ hours + 1 and a half daily commute)
With my husband friends and family rather than in my craft room making Christmas cards..
You know what my pet peeve is..card makers that judge....be glad you go a card at all. Slot of people have stopped sending cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 04:39 AM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 591 Likes on 243 Posts

I get a lot of photo cards and I save them forever. They are popular because they are quick and easy and you don't need to leave your computer chair to get them designed, ordered and delivered. However, I do miss the days when I got at least a few hand-stamped cards. I'll take what I get from others and continue to send my stamped creations.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 05:33 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

I don't mind the photo cards of the family so much, but I don't care for the ones with photos of just the kids. Maybe this is because I don't have children, but I want to see the entire family. The adults matter, too.

I've gotten over the "impersonal" vibe. They went to the trouble to get the photo, have it printed, and put it in the mail. That's enough. It's more personal than a store bought card, and I don't mind those.

The brag letters used to drive me nuts. Thankfully, the rise of Facebook has correlated with a decline in the brag letters.

One of my former college friend's letters were so obnoxious that one year I sent her a letter of my own, but instead of bragging I focused on some of the real events in my life, like my husband getting laid off and my favorite Aunt passing away. I never got another brag letter from her.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 05:43 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

A good friend of ours was an MG enthusiast. Every year we got a photo card of him and his wife, in his MG, usually in front of a landmark or beautiful scenery. He passed away a few years ago, and I treasure those cards.

Another friend always included a picture of him and his horse. I loved those cards.

I really do enjoy cards from my adult friends, especially when the photo is themed, or funny, or includes the pets. I am a suckered for our furry friends.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 06:19 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Seriously thinking about putting a Santa hat on our rescue dog this year and taking him out for a picture on his own and sending a photocard of that picture after this thread!!! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

Please don't feel bad. I am sure the OP did not mean to offend anyone-It is just her "Opinion".

Don't stop sending your picture cards out, do what makes you happy. I am sure there will be someone on your list that would miss your picture cards if you did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh I certainly did not mean to upset anyone with my comment - I even stated I can't figure out why they annoy me - it doesn't make it wrong to send them and everyone is always different. After my grandma passed away my mom was going through her stuff and she found a stack of store bought cards my grandma had saved and she told me a funny story. My grandma grew up during the depression, 1 of 13 kids ALL of whom survived to adulthood in a very rural very poverty stricken area of south Louisiana. My mom is an accomplished artist and no matter how good her hand painted cards were my grandmother always much preferred a fancy store-bought card because in her days store-bought cards were a sign of wealth.

I think people should send what makes them happy and do so without strings attached. For example, I just spent an hour + making a gift tag for the present my daughter will be bringing to a party today - the odds are quite high that 1. the tag may never even be seen 2. whoever sees it may not even realize it is handmade and 3. it will get ripped off the gift and go right into the trash. I don't care. Because for over an hour I sat in blissful seclusion in my studio playing with paper and colored pencils! Lolol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 10:46 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerridwen3301View Post
Oh I certainly did not mean to upset anyone with my comment - I even stated I can't figure out why they annoy me - it doesn't make it wrong to send them and everyone is always different. After my grandma passed away my mom was going through her stuff and she found a stack of store bought cards my grandma had saved and she told me a funny story. My grandma grew up during the depression, 1 of 13 kids ALL of whom survived to adulthood in a very rural very poverty stricken area of south Louisiana. My mom is an accomplished artist and no matter how good her hand painted cards were my grandmother always much preferred a fancy store-bought card because in her days store-bought cards were a sign of wealth.

I think people should send what makes them happy and do so without strings attached. For example, I just spent an hour + making a gift tag for the present my daughter will be bringing to a party today - the odds are quite high that 1. the tag may never even be seen 2. whoever sees it may not even realize it is handmade and 3. it will get ripped off the gift and go right into the trash. I don't care. Because for over an hour I sat in blissful seclusion in my studio playing with paper and colored pencils! Lolol!
I did not mean you. OP stands for Opening Poster-First Poster she made the first comment about photo Christmas cards.

You comment about self-absorbed selfie takers made me laugh. Christmas photo cards have bee around a lot longer than cell phones and selfies;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeyes9View Post
I am guilty of the News letter and for the last 2years photo cards. Our son got married in 2012 and our daughter got married last year. Both cards were family pictures from the weddings. I had no idea my cards and letters were so offensive!! I guess it would be much better not to remember my friends and family at all!! I am a card maker but have decided that it's better to spend my limited time (work 50+ hours + 1 and a half daily commute)
With my husband friends and family rather than in my craft room making Christmas cards..
You know what my pet peeve is..card makers that judge....be glad you got a card at all. A lot of people have stopped sending cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

That is the thing isn't it. Once you are known for sending handmade cards you are "expected" to send handmade cards for everything. It can be quite a burden. I completely get picking and choosing what to create.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

I love hearing all the various thoughts shared on this thread. I can identify with most of the thoughts or feelings expressed at one time or another in my life. I have been sending hand made cards for about ten years and this past year I hand painted about twenty in addition to the other hundred paper cards. About a month ago, one of my sweet friends sent me a pic of the card with a note that she still has it out. Made my heart happy. I hope everyone finds a groove that works for them and can find a way to appreciate the unique gestures of kindness and thoughtfulness received from others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 04:40 PM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Seriously thinking about putting a Santa hat on our rescue dog this year and taking him out for a picture on his own and sending a photocard of that picture after this thread!!! :lol:
Like this? This is one of our cats, he's passed on now, but we put this on our Christmas card one year.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

I have done a letter for years...real life stuff that may or may not include bragging...and fortunately, my family tells me that they enjoy them. I love to write!

I started making cards for Christmas several years ago, and yes, the pressure has been intense every year! But honestly, it is mostly self imposed. I never send store-bought cards...for anything. It would take quite an illness to get me to buy cards now.

Speaking of which, my hubby and I were both sick last December and January. I didn't even mail Christmas cards nor did I compose a letter. We had major positive highlights from the year that some people saw on Facebook, but not everyone is there. This year has been very rough. I am anticipating a very fun consolidation of the 2 years in a one page letter. :rolleyes:
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2014, 02:14 AM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

Yesterday when I posted I was in a snarky mood. That being said I am really a to each her own type of girl. But something in the first post struck a nerve. Only my stamping friends make cards. For me to expect everyone I send a card to put the effort I do when I make a card is crazy. Before my card making days, I would spend alot of time at Hallmark selecting the "perfect" card. I still try to make cards that fit the person I'm sending it to. Favorite colors, interests, ETC. My one SIL sends cards she gets from the places she donates money to. Do I toss the card aside because she didn't either make it or go to the store and spend $5.00? NO I don't because that dear girl has NEVER forgotten a birthday or occaision.
The whole point is SHE REMEMBERED ME!!! I am thankful for each and every card I receive.
BTW I'm going to be a Grandma for the first time in October...Guess who's sending out another Photo card this year!!!!

Last edited by bdeyes9; 09-07-2014 at 02:17 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2014, 03:14 AM   #39  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 733 Likes on 355 Posts

That is a good point. I think so many people now are on social media (I'm not) that it has taken the place of the annual letter for some. I dont get that stuff to be honest...all the pics of what you are eating and so on when you are not on vacation or it's a special meal like an anniversary. I see people doing it all the time though. Kind of TMI for me.

What interesting personal stories. I really enjoy when a thread goes in this direction. I realize that seems in contrast to the above but it is very different to me. Hearing about a depression Grandma vs seeing the hamburger someone just had. Feels like we are sitting around a big craft table yakking
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeyes9View Post
Yesterday when I posted I was in a snarky mood. That being said I am really a to each her own type of girl. But something in the first post struck a nerve. Only my stamping friends make cards. For me to expect everyone I send a card to put the effort I do when I make a card is crazy. Before my card making days, I would spend alot of time at Hallmark selecting the "perfect" card. I still try to make cards that fit the person I'm sending it to. Favorite colors, interests, ETC. My one SIL sends cards she gets from the places she donates money to. Do I toss the card aside because she didn't either make it or go to the store and spend $5.00? NO I don't because that dear girl has NEVER forgotten a birthday or occaision.
The whole point is SHE REMEMBERED ME!!! I am thankful for each and every card I receive.
BTW I'm going to be a Grandma for the first time in October...Guess who's sending out another Photo card this year!!!!
I agree with you. The first post hit me the wrong way to. How can we expect non-crafters to send homemade cards???? I never expect homemade cards just because I make them. I never think down on someone for the store-bought cards they send me. The point is....They Remembered ME!

Oh, and the yearly letter. I now have a family member that has taken to sending them EMAIL now. Yep email.....but at least they are thinking of us during the holiday season;)
Reply With Quote Likes