Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-09-2009, 06:55 AM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a budget either. I am thankful that I had a successful career and hubby is successful. We don't live on a budget but we don't live like Donald Trump either. I have never felt the need to spend everything we make. Fast forward that means later in life we have great investments and if I feel like spending it I can. All the kids are grown and all I own is paid for. I buy what I want, when I want. That doesn't mean I go hog wild all the time. I may spend 300 one month and nothing for the next two. I figure I don't smoke and don't drink so this is my vice. I also claim it is cheaper than therapy! Life is to short and if it does not interfere with paying bills or putting money away for retirement then go for it.

I am blessed that there is a ton of stores in my area.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2009, 07:07 AM   #42  
Pearl-ExPert

I wanted to add that I use to be a hobby demo. I quit because they make you spend money to stay in it. I get that but some months I didn't want anything. I will say when starting out you do spend more getting your equipment and getting set up. I think I have one of everything now so I can slow way down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2009, 07:28 AM   #43  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have a budget, but I try to watch what I spend. I'm lucky that I have a good job and make a nice salary so money really isn't a problem. On another board we have a spend-o-meter and I've lost track for this year, but so far I've spent well over $2000 - and I must admit I'm a bit embarrassed by this amount. I just started stamping in the last year - year and a half - so I had quite a few things I needed to get. Overall, I try to limit myself to $25 a week, but doesn't always happen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2009, 08:30 AM   #44  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

[QUOTE=SanJoseLady;15078197]I never had a "budget," but now I do and it is basically zero, with a slight exception: I just ordered some copics from Carpe Diem (spelling?) because they were 3.85 and I needed to fill out my colors. That order means I have minus zero to spend now, is that possible?
QUOTE]

I would love to hear about your experience (or others) with carpediemart.com. The $3.85/Sketch marker with Free shipping over $80 is an awesome price. I would get some friends to go in for an order (although I would certainly like to buy 20 more myself :-) if they are a good on-line store. Thanks!

Oh, and the budget... I am resigning my SU demonstratorship this month also. So I will probably be looking at around $200 this month to purchase some Papertrey Ink paper, the new Basic Grey patterned paper (already ordered), some of those Copics & maybe another nestie set or 2 (I have used a coupon for those). You might take an inventory of what you have (cs, stamps, embellies) and then make a priority list. Or...throw caution to the wind and justify your spending as helping the economy;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #45  
Polyshrink Goddess

[QUOTE=patintn;15088158]
Quote:

Originally Posted by SanJoseLadyView Post
I never had a "budget," but now I do and it is basically zero, with a slight exception: I just ordered some copics from Carpe Diem (spelling?) because they were 3.85 and I needed to fill out my colors. That order means I have minus zero to spend now, is that possible?
QUOTE]

I would love to hear about your experience (or others) with carpediemart.com. The $3.85/Sketch marker with Free shipping over $80 is an awesome price. I would get some friends to go in for an order (although I would certainly like to buy 20 more myself :-) if they are a good on-line store. Thanks!

Oh, and the budget... I am resigning my SU demonstratorship this month also. So I will probably be looking at around $200 this month to purchase some Papertrey Ink paper, the new Basic Grey patterned paper (already ordered), some of those Copics & maybe another nestie set or 2 (I have used a coupon for those). You might take an inventory of what you have (cs, stamps, embellies) and then make a priority list. Or...throw caution to the wind and justify your spending as helping the economy;)
I've ordered the 72 A & B sets from Carpediem and had no problems at all. I did opt to pay for express shipping though as I am on the east coast and they are in CA.

My blog
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2009, 08:47 AM   #46  
Glitter Queen

Patintn, I have also ordered my copics from carpe diem website. I am in Arizona and the shipping was very fast. Would order my Prismas from them, but as I buy them in singles now I found them to be cheaper at dickblick.com. So I order the colors I still need through them as I cannot find anyone locally that sells all the colors in singles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the positive review of carpe diem. I'm getting a list together now...might have to revise my budget :-)

Pat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #48  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToyView Post
I've never really had a set budget, but I agree that when I first started this hobby I was buying like a madwoman to get my stock up to par.

Now that I get my stamps pretty much free, I only have to buy consumables and a few embellishments here and there. I watch for sales and take advantage of shipping specials. Hobby Lobby has tombow adhesive refills right now at 30% off, so I stocked up on those yesterday.

I would say that now I am spending less than $75 a month and that includes a stamp club I am in.

I love looking through the stuff I have and *finding* some new things in my own stash!

Wanted to let you know you can buy the tombow adhesive refills through "penwa"- the more you buy in volume the cheaper they are. If you spend at least $50 (it may be 53 now) you get free shipping. Anyway, it is the cheapest I have ever seen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #49  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't have a budget. To budget you would have to have money to spend. I have spent about $50 this year for adhesives and plain white cardstock. My mom did give me $200 for my birthday, so I bought some supplies with that. My husband and I own our business and right now any extra money goes right back into the company. Someday I would like to have the ability to spend about $25 a month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 08:07 AM   #50  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
I've found that whenever you begin a new craft, there's a certain amount of initial purchase output necessary to get everything ready. Last winter, I took up needle art again after a 15 or 20 year absence. Well, a lot had changed in that time, and I've been amassing new flosses, cloth, and patterns for a few months now. I'm sure I spend way more on this craft now than I do on my papercrafting, just because I already have more than I need for that. But thankfully, my needle art purchases are beginning to even out, too.

I've become a lot more frugal in the stamping in the past year ( I just talked about it on my blog yesterday!). I used to buy every trendy new stamp set and paper. Now, I curtail my buying to just what I love. Like Markie's Mom, I'm leaving my demoship behind this month, and I know it's going to cut way back on my impulse purchases. I won't feel compelled to buy stamp sets, per se, but will feel better about buying just one stamp or maybe a clear or cling mount set at a fraction of the price.

I no longer try to recreate the exact card I saw somewhere. Instead, I will look at a card using Medallion stamp, for example, and think "Well, I can make the same thing using the Baroque stamp that I already have."

I've found that when it comes to stamps, some of them have a much longer shelf life than others. That's why I try to steer away from the latest trendy thing (like the bird craze, or owls, or cupcakes) and just buy what I'm still going to love ten years from now.

Hope that helps! Have fun in your new craft!
Thank you!!! Yes that is part of my problem trying to recreate what I see and so I need the stamp set, nesties, etc. I have been trying to use what I have and limit myself but since I am new the cost of keeping up with this hobby is a little scary. haa Thanks for your advice and input I will have to bare in mind there is no need to duplicate what I see and to try and buy stamps I can use more then once!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 08:10 AM   #51  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by BooboostamperView Post
I go in "spurts" when it comes to spending. If I stay out of the craft stores or off this site for awhile(so I don't see all the enable posts) I do much better. I am a SU! demo so I have to make sure I meet my $300 for the 3 months,so some months are more due to that. I do have so much that I probably could not buy anything for a long time and still have alot left over. That being said I really don't have a set "budget", butif I spend alot one month I try not to spend any the next. I did like you once and totaled my perchases for a 6 month period and almost croked when I reached the total. Lucky for me DH wasn't around when I did that!!!!;)

Gail

LOL you made me laugh, THANKS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #52  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by VHarrellView Post
As far as budget goes - my only advice is stamp for awhile before you start buying everything you think you need. I can tell you when I first started I bought so much JUNK that I've thrown away, given away or stored because I don't use them. It's really easy to see a technique or card and be like I HAVE TO HAVE THAT TOOL or that Stamp set, but honestly if you just WAIT a bit and use what you have you will find "your style" and realize that you would rather spend your money on new stamps than more punches or something like that. Oh yeah, and paper - Keep your scraps organized and you will be amazed at how LITTLE paper you will need to buy. I did this and put all my scraps into folders by color and I swear I have yet to cut a new piece of paper and now have stacks of paper still in the wrapper....wasted money that could have bought some new stamps.
Very good advice! thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #53  
Kookie Creator

Wow all you ladies had great things to say. I know its not always easy talking about what we spend especially if its a little guilty pleasure!! lol
I have also ordered my copics from carpe diem they are awesome shipping is high if you dont order $80 of sketch markers.. I like ciao markers too so sometimes the shipping does not always pan out. I have about 68 now and still dont have all the colors i need/ want but I have enough to work with.
In order for me to get what I really want in stamping my other spending has taken a backseat.. I have not bought a new shoes/purse in a while. Still sometimes there are stamp sets or things I buy, then never really use. I hate that. so thank you to the ladies that suggest stamp for a while and see what my style really is! I also find myself wanting primsa color pencils because I like the results I see but feel i need to master my copics first.. I have SU water color pencils and NEVER use them. Another one of the useless items i bought but that was the cheapest way for me to get started. If I would have researched it more that money would have been better spent on prisma pencils even a small pack something I would use still. I think it will take me sometime to build my supplies and figure what I really need and like. Since I live in the middle of no where I always have to shop on line which will include shipping costs so that honestly discourages me from ordering online.
Thanks everyone for being honest and I do appreciate all your input!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 08:51 AM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

When I started stamping a bit over 5 years ago..I went just crazy...I spent close to 15,000.00 the first year...yes 15,000. I had to have two matching desks, vertical file to match with a hutch (both desks have hutches) and matching book cases...that was pretty pricey right there then add all the yummy new stamping stuff I needed...WOW...it was an eye opener come tax time. I had a huge business loss that first year...lol. Anyway, kids are grown and gone, youngest in college and I pretty much spend what I want to. With Papertrey new releases, Flourishes, Verve and SU just to name a few I can easily spend $500 per month. I am trying to slow down because I really dont need another flower stamp, thank you stamp etc...but they always fall in my cart...lol blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #55  
Die Cut Diva

I have a personal spending budget of $15/week, and I use most of it on cardmaking supplies. It's not as much as some people spend, but it's more than others spend. It all depends on your family's finances, really.

However, there are some basic principles I follow that might help you, regardless of how much (or little) you have to spend.

First of all, I set a spending amount weekly and do my best not to go over it. I've gone over in the past and felt like I was wearing a straight jacket until I got caught up. It just wasn't worth it, and our budget doesn't have the wiggle room to just "sweep it under the rug" and pretend I hadn't gone over. Besides, it's good self-discipline.

Secondly, I've reached the point that I have a lot of the things I want. I only have Michaels nearby and rarely order online (I hate shipping charges), so I've limited myself mostly to 50% off coupons when they're available. If I run into an "emergency" (out of adhesive when there is no 50% coupon available), I take the best coupon I can get and use it.

Thirdly, keep an eye out at closeout stores, flea markets, thrift stores, yard sales, Freecycle, Craigslist ... you get the idea. Ebay tends to run about regular retail on most things, so I don't bother for the most part. But I've gotten some steals at thrift stores!

Fourthly, if you're feeling overwhelmed because you want so much, write down (specifically) everything you want to get. Include the prices! That helped me a lot because I realized I "wanted" some things I was never going to put out the money for. I was then able to pare down my list to things I would reasonably buy ... and then systematically tackle the list as I get the money.

Those are the basics of what comes to mind. I hope some of it helps. (I didn't get to read the rest of the replies, so some of it may be repeated.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #56  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't have a budget, but I do try to limit myself to only buying craft/stamp supplies I need for a project or card that I need to make. I used to be a demo (in 2007 and 2008 ) for Stampin Up and I have many of their products which I continue to use with all the new stuff I buy through other companies.

I have enough supplies that I am in the process of making a "crafting room" at my house so I can keep everything organized and not clutter the rest of the house with my crafting addictions.

�Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.�
- Epicurus (Greek philosopher, BC 341-270)

Last edited by lindalovescrafts; 09-15-2009 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #57  
Matboard Maniac

My budget is very low, maybe $10 a month. But what I have a couple of "tricks."
1. I have a running "wish list" with my DH and mother for both Christmas and birthdays.
2. I also have ordered from SU with a friend where we split a set amount to make a hostess level and then 6 months later do the same. One time one of us is the "hostess" and the next time the other is.
3. I have also split packs of paper with a friend (we do this often) so that I only have to spend 1/2 the cost (why have all that paper sitting there for years before I use it)
4. I also allow others to buy new and then I take advantage of their depreciation (like buying a used car). I love looking here in the buy/sell forum!
5. As soon as you know that you really don't want that item that you just thought you had to have, sell it! Even if you only make a couple of dollars, think of what new purchase you could put that towards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #58  
Stampin' Fool

I don't have a formal budget, either. I spend in spurts.....some months (but not many!)it's zero, but when I run low on basic supplies (cs, embellishments, dp, etc) it can climb to 100-200/month. For awhile, I was making my SU demos minimums two quarters out of the year....almost became a hobby demo because of that, but Cooler Heads Prevailed!
I find that if I am busy due to work, and stay out of Michaels and off of SCS swap forum and away from my favorite stamping websites, I use what I have without buying unneeded stuff. Hubby and I will be retiring within a few years, and now when I have the urge to spend, I think really carefully how spending now might impact retirement later. Long term goals and all that stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 06:30 AM   #59  
Matboard Maniac

No budget........... But my Mendoza Line is this: If i am going to have to pay one cent of interest on credit card........ I dont buy it......... zero balance at the end of the month and not one cent of interest or I dont buy it......... not just hobby stuff....... we have been married over 30 years........ and if we cant pay cash for it....... or cant pay the credit card charges monthly to avoid interest we DONT NEED it..... Has worked wonderfully and we have never broken the agreement we made before we were married
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 12:11 PM   #60  
Matboard Maniac

No set budget, but I have an account that money I get from side work goes into, and that account is not in the family budget so gets used for "extras" and stamping. I have found that being in the Stamp to Spend challenge here has helped - you give yourself a certain amount of money for each thing you make. So now that I'm "earning" it, I'm paying more attention to it. I
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 12:42 PM   #61  
Pearl-ExPert

In the beginning you'll always spend more, since you're still building up your basic tools, paper, ink, etc. I've been crafting for a long time already, so my budget is about $150 a month. I usually buy stamps and new paper with that. I use to spend double that and sometimes more. But like others have said, only spend what you really can, and I know thats different for everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #62  
Crimping Master

Like a lot of others here, I am to the point that I really don't need much. Don't get me wrong, I would love some more copics, but with finances being what they are, I can certainly live without them for now. I could probably make cards for years and not buy a thing except adhesive. I have a verrrryyy well stocked craft room.

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 02:03 PM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

I had no real idea of what I was spending on a regular basis. Not only do I do paper crafts but I cross stitch, quilt, hook rugs, etc. A few months ago I started carrying an envelope in my purse to hold my craft purchase receipts. At the end of the month I tally them. What an eye-opener! I am proud to say that I have dropped from an average of $600 a month to about $200. Now I know where my money has gone, what I have purchased, and have learned the difference between want and need. It isn't as fun this way but I think it will be smarter in the long run!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #64  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't have a budget for my spending. I try not to spend alot. Some months are better than others. This month was not a good one. I placed a SU! order last night that was about $150 and I just got back from the Scrap and Stamp tour that I spent about $160. I wasn't expecting to spend much at all. I said that all I really wanted to look for to buy was some Flower Soft. I haven't tried it and wanted to be able to get one color to try before investing in alot of them online.Well that being said I bought stamps sets,metalic cream chalk and some other things.....it was a fun and good day!

Gail

www.gailscraftcorner.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes