Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #481  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, We are in hyper mode. Hiding DD toys behind and under the couch, moving the furniture so we can fit the tables in the living room...you get the picture. I still have to make charosset x2. One person allergic to nuts. I have to buy the fish, Whole fish on the grill. I'll put it on at the end as we start the charosset. We make and give as gifts the fantastic matzoh granola. I've made about 7 lbs of the stuff and may have to make more as the week passes. I can get you the recipe this weekend if you want it. Have a wonderful seder. Ann
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #482  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniem888View Post
Ok, We are in hyper mode. Hiding DD toys behind and under the couch, moving the furniture so we can fit the tables in the living room...you get the picture. I still have to make charosset x2. One person allergic to nuts. I have to buy the fish, Whole fish on the grill. I'll put it on at the end as we start the charosset. We make and give as gifts the fantastic matzoh granola. I've made about 7 lbs of the stuff and may have to make more as the week passes. I can get you the recipe this weekend if you want it. Have a wonderful seder. Ann
I'd love the recipe! I just got the sponge cake in the oven. Made passover rolls and charoset (and found recipe to make the leftover charoset into muffins). Still debating if I want to make farfel muffins for my nephews. I really needed to sit for 5 minutes.

What else are you having at the dairy seder?

Chag Sameach and a festive seder to all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #483  
Die Cut Diva

Recipes please for Charoset muffins and matza granola! Both sound fabulous! I'm heading down to my mom's in a couple hours. Debbi, I'll wave as go by on 495!

Yapha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #484  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by YaphaView Post
Recipes please for Charoset muffins and matza granola! Both sound fabulous! I'm heading down to my mom's in a couple hours. Debbi, I'll wave as go by on 495!

Yapha
Ruth Silverman's Charoset Muffins (be careful - watch the cook time carefully - they burn easily). Everyone loved the charoset and the muffins were moist and tasty (for Passover muffins). One recipe made 18 muffins.

The Best Passover Rolls - found this recipe and it was similar to one that I had been using. This one is wwwaaayyy better. Everyone liked them and the kids asked me to make more!

I waved back Yapha! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #485  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinCPAView Post
The Best Passover Rolls - found this recipe and it was similar to one that I had been using. This one is wwwaaayyy better. Everyone liked them and the kids asked me to make more!
Note to self: if you need more, make one batch at a time - DO NOT double.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2009, 08:37 PM   #486  
Pearl-ExPert

ok, We're home now! Had a great Seder here and a nice 2nd night and Shabbat at my SIL.

Here is our favorite breakfast. I got it from the J. a San Francisco bay area Jewish paper we call it Matzohnolla

1 lb. matzoh farfal
1 cup honey
1/3 cup oil
1 cup nuts (if toasted nuts do not toast w/farfel) we like slivered almonds, our friends like a mix of nuts.

a total 1 1/2 cup dried fruit we like 1/2 cup each golden raisins, chopped apricots, and cherries.

heat oil and honey until thin and runny. in very large bowl place farfal and stir to coat. Add untoasted nuts. Split mix on 2 jelly roll pans w/foil or parchment or silpat non stick silicon sheet. Bake 375 for approx. 12 min. Stir every 5 min. rotate pans. It should be very brown, but not burned. Keep a close eye on it. This will burn quickly.

Cool mix in fruit store in sealed container. It is anhydrous so it will get stale and sticky if left out. Great on yogurt, or w/milk. This makes my DH very happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #487  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi all,
It has been a while since this thread has been "pulled to the top" I found a great website and I wanted to share. It is a Jewish scrapbook site. There are lots of great resources if you just want to read the posts. It is also a very nice community if you would like to join in. There are crafters of all kinds so even if you don't scrapbook, you will feel welcome.

Every time there is a new product, or someone is web-surfing and finds a great Jewish themed item they post it, so if you are looking for a special embellishment you may be able to find it there.

www.jewish-scrapbooking.com/

I hope everyone is well for the summer. Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 04:26 AM   #488  
Forum Fanatic

Smile

Here is another site that has some great paper and die cuts!

http://www.shalomscrapper.com/index.aspx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2009, 08:27 AM   #489  
Stazon Splitcoast

New Jewish-themed ATC swap going on if anyone is interested.

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #490  
Pearl-ExPert

I went to a Bat Mitzvah a few weeks ago. I made a card to put the check in. Her invitation was so beautiful!! I pulled the liner paper form the envelope and used it in the card. I was so happy how it came out. Please take a look.

cover
Bat Mitzvah card by anniem888 at Splitcoaststampers

inside.
Bat Mitzvah card - inside by anniem888 at Splitcoaststampers

I hope you all have a great 4th.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #491  
Forum Fanatic

Smile

Quote:

I went to a Bat Mitzvah a few weeks ago. I made a card to put the check in. Her invitation was so beautiful!! I pulled the liner paper form the envelope and used it in the card. I was so happy how it came out. Please take a look.

cover
Bat Mitzvah card by anniem888 at Splitcoaststampers

inside.
Bat Mitzvah card - inside by anniem888 at Splitcoaststampers

I hope you all have a great 4th.
Beautiful card! And a great idea to use the liner from the envelope! I have used wrapping paper as pattern paper on a card and then wrapped the gift in the same paper - but I like the liner idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #492  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile Hanukkah Stamp Source

Quote:

Originally Posted by s_anthonyView Post
Ok, so with the recent posts of my Jewish cards on my gallery - I've had a lot of PM's and comments about Jewish Cards... so here's something I decided to put together about Jewish Card Making 101

I am Jewish, yes - but I am not as well versed in Judiasm as I would like to be. I am learning, and part of my learning process is through my artwork and crafts.

Jewish stamps are HARD to find. SU has a few sets, CTMH as well. There are 3 stamp companies online that I can think of that have a large selection of Jewish stamps (not sure if I could post the links here or not and if it's against the rules). There are also the "stragglers" from many other lines like Inkadinkado, Stampendous, Double D, etc.. many are no longer made and are hard to find and have to usually be bought online through auctions.

Contrary to belief, Hanukkah is not the biggest card-giving celebration in the Jewish holidays. I could be wrong about this, but it almost seems that more interfaith families give Hanukkah cards than non-interfaiths - but I have no statistics to proove that, just an observation.

There are a few main holidays if you feel the need to give cards, and I'll outline them here. Feel free to add on posts as needed with your comments.

Rosh Hashana - The Jewish New Year: Rosh Hashanah occurs on the first and second days of Tishri. In Hebrew, Rosh Hashanah means, literally, "head of the year" or "first of the year." The common greeting at this time is L'shanah tovah ("for a good year"). This is a shortening of "L'shanah tovah tikatev v'taihatem" (or to women, "L'shanah tovah tikatevi v'taihatemi"), which means "May you be inscribed and sealed for a good year." A popular practice of the holiday is Tashlikh (or known as "casting off"). We walk to a flowing water supply, such as a creek or river on the afternoon of the first day and empty our pockets into the river, symbolically casting off our sins. Another practice is to eat apples dipped in honey to symbolize our wish for a sweet new year.

This is usually the time of year that we give cards rather than the winter holiday season. To give you some examples of cards for Rosh Hashanna, you can stamp using Apples, Honey, Bees, Beehives, water/river scenes, star of davids - just to give you a few to start with. So some SU stamp sets would be the Decorative Country Apple to give you an example.

Hanukkah, the Festival of Lights - This is another time of year that cards are given, but probably not as frequently as you think. Hanukkah, the Jewish festival of rededication, also known as the festival of lights, is an eight day festival beginning on the 25th day of the Jewish month of Kislev (which means that it is NOT on the same day every year - make sure to check your calendars). Hanukkah also can be spelled in many ways:

Chanukkah, Chanukah, Hanukkah, Hanukah - don't be afraid that you've misspelled it...

Chanukkah is probably the best known Jewish holiday because of its proximity to Christmas. Many non-Jews (and Jews too) think of this holiday as the "Jewish Christmas" and have adopted many of the Christmas customs, such as elaborate gift-giving and decoration. It is bitterly ironic that this holiday, which has its roots in a revolution against assimilation and the suppression of Jewish religion, has become the most assimilated, secular holiday on our calendar.

The only true symbol of this holiday is the lighting of the Menorah. A menorah has nine candles: one for each night, plus a shammus (servant) at a different height. (This is a nice note if you are stamping cards with candle stamps)

Contrary to popular belief Hanukkah is not an important religious holiday. Hanukkah is not even mentioned in Jewish scripture as the story is related in the book of Maccabbees, which Jews do not accept as scripture.

Another part of Hanukkah is the Deridel Game - dreidels are marked with four Hebrew letters: Nun, Gimmel, Heh and Shin. These letters stand for the Hebrew phrase "Nes Gadol Hayah Sham", which means a great miracle happened there, referring to the miracle of the oil. (I'm sure you can find the story online if you wanted ) Most people play for matchsticks, pennies, M&Ms or chocolate coins - so there's a few ideas for your stamping needs...

To stamp cards during this time of year, you can use Star of davids, Dreidels, Menorah's, candles, winter scenes are acceptable since this is usually the time of year that Hanukkah has occured. No Jewish stamps? That's okay - a simple "Seasons Greetings" will do - trust me - you don't have to go out and buy a Jewish stamp set just because your new neighbors who moved in are Jewish. Just please no Merry Christmas - although it is appreciated by most.

Purim - This holiday is known as the "Jewish Halloween" although has completely different meanings. The Jewish Halloween reference comes because kids and adults both get dressed up in costumes for this holiday. Purim is celebrated on the 14th day of Adar, which is usually in March.

The primary commandment for Purim is to listen to the reading of the book of Esther. The book of Esther is commonly known as the "Megillah" which means scroll. It is customary to boo, hiss, stamp feet and rattle gragers (noise makers) whenever the name of Haman is mentioned during the service. The purpose of this custom is to blot out the name of Haman.

We are also commanded to eat, drink and be merry. A person is required to drink until he cannot tell the difference between cursed be Haman and blessed be Mordecai - though opinions differ from person to person how drunk that is. (A person certainly should not become so drunk that he might violate other commandments or get seriously ill. Recovering alcoholics or others who might suffer serious harm from alcohol are of course exempt from this obligation)

In addition, we are commanded to send out gifts of food or drink, and to make gifts to charity. It is also customary to hold carnival like celebrations on Purim, to perform theater, plays and parodies, etc.

To give you a list of things you could stamp: Scrolls, Esther (pretty women), Hamentashen (triangular cookies), clowns and circus, graggers or noise makers, etc. Happy Purim is the easiest saying you can use to stamp on your cards.

Passover/Pesach: Of all the Jewish holidays, Pesach is the one most commonly observed, even by otherwise non-observant Jews. Pesach begins on the 15th day of the Jewish month of Nissan. Passover marks the start of a few agricultural holidays, but the primary observances of Passover is related to the Exodus from Egypt after generations of slavery. "Pesach" comes from the Hebrew root Peh-Samech-Chet , meaning to pass through or to pass over. It refers to the fact that G-d "passed over" the houses of the Jews when he was slaying the firstborn of Egypt.

Without going into a lot more detail since this is getting long, you can use matzoh stamps, (square stamps with little dots to look like matzoh), seder plates (round plates with round sections for each of the food types for passover seder).

Tu B'Shevat - Tu B'Shevat, the 15th day of the Jewish month of Shevat, is a holiday also known as the New Year for Trees. Tu B'Shevat is the new year for the purpose of calculating the age of trees for tithing. See Lev. 19:23-25, which states that fruit from trees may not be eaten during the first three years; the fourth year's fruit is for G-d, and after that, you can eat the fruit.

There are very few customs or observances related to this holiday but I happen to like it mainly because of my attraction to treese and nature related things . One custom is to eat a new fruit on this day. Some people plant trees on this day. A lot of Jewish children go around collecting money for trees for Israel at this time of year.

You could of couse use trees and nature themes for stamping during this holiday. You could also use fruit stamps as well.

================================================== =======

Hopefully this is enough to get you started down the path of Jewish Stamping. One thing to note is to NOT stamp or print prayers in these cards. Without going into a lot of detail, these cards that have prayers (or anything that might have a prayer attached) cannot be simply thrown away. There is a process that these cards have to go through in order to be "gotten rid of".

My recommendation is to read a little about holidays before you stamp. It isn't necessary to give your Jewish neighbor down the road a card each holiday - as it really isn't traditional to do so other than on Rosh Hashanna, and even now on Hanukkah.

In addition to the "regular" Jewish stamps (star of davids, menorah, driedels, etC) you can also look for Pomegranates, Apples, honey, bees and beehives, just to name a few.

Good luck and happy "Jewish Stamping". I look forward to your comments and suggestions as well!
Hi, just wanted to add a source for "Happy Hanukkah" type stamps if anyone is interested! Try www.TheRubberCafe.Com - she has several words, dreidels and candles! I am as I came across this thread in my research on Menorahs!
Thanks!:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2009, 09:59 PM   #493  
Pearl-ExPert

So glad to find this thread! Especially since I just made brisket last night. DH got my this great recipe book last year of traditional Jewish family recipes passed down over the years. It's awesome! FYI - the key to great brisket seems to be Lipton Onion Soup Mix.

I also am glad to know about the stamp links. I've found a few here and there - a couple dreidels, star of david, etc. but I tend to just go with Snowmen and say "happy holidays" It's easier when dealing with friends, coworkers, etc.

I also tend to send cards mostly around the December holidays because it seems when most people do and I don't mind getting merry christmas cards either though I would never send one myself.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2009, 04:24 AM   #494  
Polyshrink Goddess

bringing this thread to the top because it suddenly occurred to me this week that it's time to start thinking about Rosh Hashanah cards. The Jewish New Year is just several weeks away! How did the year go by so quickly? Has anyone thought about designs yet? I'm going to use PTI's Mazel Tov set but haven't decided on which stamps or a layout yet ....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #495  
Pearl-ExPert

my DH wants to do candy again this year. I have to rethink my packaging. Here is what I did last year.

Shana Tova Candy Gifts by anniem888 at Splitcoaststampers

I could always fall back on this, but you know how it is, you want to have a new design for a new year. If you have any ideas I'm open to suggestions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 04:36 AM   #496  
Polyshrink Goddess

Bringing this thread to the top -- who's got Rosh Hashanah cards to share?

Here's mine -- I made 16 this weekend, using the famous Mazel Tov set by PTI. I had such a bad cold (with a fever, oddly) that it took 3 days to actually make these and write and address them. The lighting is a little bit dark in my craft room this morning, but you get the general idea.

Can I just say, once again, how much I love this set.

The gallery seems to be a bit wonky today -- the cards are in my personal gallery but not the main one. I hope this link works....

Rosh Hashanah 2009 by merryf at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 05:13 AM   #497  
Die Cut Diva

Oh, I made one for my Jewish friend! I can't link to it now because photobucket is blocked <grrr!>

I used apples. I thought that I read that apples or honey was appropriate. Is that right?

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 06:49 AM   #498  
Die Cut Diva

Yes Deb, you are absolutely right -- apples and honey for a sweet new year!

I had Stamper's block all weekend on this!! I want to use the honey from Just Buzzin' By, but it wasn't working out right. Back to the drawing board after work...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #499  
Pearl-ExPert

Yapha, I wanted to use that honey jar too, but I don't have an apple the right size. The apple looks giant next to the jar or the jar looks like something from valley of the giants, and the apples from a doll house. I may have to send store bought cards this year. EEEEk.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #500  
Pearl-ExPert

I want to wish everyone a L'shana tova, a sweet new year. Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #501  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I want to wish everyone a L'shana tova, a sweet new year. Ann
Same from me! And I had a brilliant idea to use paper piercing with the honey and crushed curry patterns patter. Too bad I never had a chance to try it out.

May you all be written in the Book of Life. L'shana Tova!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2009, 06:30 AM   #502  
Watercolor Wizard

bumping for Naomi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2009, 07:32 AM   #503  
Pearl-ExPert

With Hanukkah in 3 weeks I thought it was a good time to bring this thread to the top! Happy Thanksgiving. Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #504  
Die Cut Diva

I have a whole bunch of Hanukkah cards posted on my blog:
http://yaphamason.com/blog/category/hanukkah/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2009, 02:56 AM   #505  
Kookie Creator

Great cards Yapha !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2009, 04:28 AM   #506  
Polyshrink Goddess

Awesome cards Yapha! I love that SU! menorah - I made some cards with it myself and will have to post some pix.

Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #507  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #508  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice work, Yapha! Thank you for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 05:57 AM   #509  
Kookie Creator

Yapha, great cards! Who makes "Let there Be Light"?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 07:37 AM   #510  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by purple elf ladyView Post
Yapha, great cards! Who makes "Let there Be Light"?
Thank you! "Let There Be Light" is from Stampin' Up! It is one of the single stamps in the Holiday Mini catalog.

Yapha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 09:11 AM   #511  
Pearl-ExPert

I like the Let there be light stamp. It is really easy to color w/markers. I quickly and easily used 4 colors and made 5 cards in a flash. I didn't photo the cards I made with it. I'll get them up soon. Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #512  
Rubber Obsessor

So glad to find this thread again...I've updated my bookmarks, too, cause I had lost Yapha's blog.

I'm lovin' "Let there be Light."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 04:44 AM   #513  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just wanted to bring this to the top! Who's got Hanukkah cards to share?
I did three this past weekend with my Mazel Tov set by PTI. Those clean lines even work for children's cards!

Pink Hanukkah Card for Sophie by merryf at Splitcoaststampers

Boy's Hanukkah Card by merryf at Splitcoaststampers

Hanukkah card for Elena by merryf at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #514  
Rubber Obsessor

These are lovely, thanks for sharing with us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #515  
Pearl-ExPert

Happy 2nd night of Hanukkah to all!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2009, 07:20 AM   #516  
Die Cut Diva

Happy Hanukkah!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #517  
Kookie Creator

Happy Hanukkah ! We're having our hanukkah party tonight for my nieces and nephews.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #518  
Insane Embellisher

Wow! You both did a great run-down of the holidays. Thanks for spending the time to do it. I would like to add that most of the holidays are about "dedication" in one way or the other. I was raised a practicing Jew. I now have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I make a bunch of Chanukkah cards and a bunch of Christmas cards. I also send out Rosh H'ashanah (New Year) and Tu'Bshevat (Trees) cards. I use the latter cards for Earth Day.

I was at a CHA conference and there was a new booth with the largest selection of Judaica stamps. Here is the link. I am not affiliated with them except I shop there. http://www.ruthsjewishstamps.com/

Now, we need someone to tell us about Kwanza.

Have a wonderful Holiday no matter what it may be! May there be peace on Earth PLEASE!
Traci S.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 07:53 AM   #519  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi All! I found a new source for scrapbook papers and stickers. More than just Chanukah!! Check them out http://craftingjewishstyle.com/index2.php#/home/ I love the pomegranate paper!! They just launched in Feb so everything is brand new. Hope all had a great Purim. Only on month until Passover, so happy cleaning. Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #520  
Die Cut Diva

Wow, Annie, that is a fabulous website! They have some great papers!

I posted a Purim card to my blog yesterday. I hope everyone who celebrated had a joyous Purim!
http://yaphamason.com/blog/2010/02/28/happy-purim/
Reply With Quote Likes