Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:35 AM   #41  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

trulyblessed: If you are referring to my post, let me explain as I think you have misunderstood what I was saying. To me quality means...your best supplies, best stamping skills without any visible mistakes, cutting is straight and lined up, you color in the lines if you are coloring in images, and when you look at the project you don't see any "omgosh, I wouldn't send that to my friends" mistakes, kwim?

I am by no means talking about your style. Everyone has a different style, but if you put your best effort into it, it will be good. I guess I'm saying I don't like it when people half way do things because they aren't sending them to anyone they really know and they just want good stuff back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

Not necessarily meaning your post in particular, but is a common complaint I see at SCS....swap items not being good enough, so I wonder just what is good enough? I understand, I too hate half-hearted attempts. I have recieved a few in SS swaps over the years.

Last edited by trulyblessed; 07-20-2009 at 07:44 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 07:48 AM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by trulyblessedView Post
No disrespect to anyone here, but this is why I do not do swaps...I am still a beginner and my work would not be of the "quality" of someone that has been doing it for years. I too put my best in time, effort and supplies into my work, but to be told it is not "good enough" or is "crap" would really crush any creative spirit I had (or any beginner I imagine). I recieved a card in a RAK, and to be honest, for someone that has been doing this for more than 5 years as she said, and sells them to boot, I found a couple flaws, cutting was crooked as well as the folding. A beginner has to start somewhere and I am sure you were all there once too. Is there swaps for the beginner offered? Thanks for listening
I was reading through this and thinking maybe there should also be some way to indicate whether "beginners" are welcome or not when hostessing swaps. I'm just now hosting my very first swap and, although I've been making cards for a year or so, I still feel like a beginner, so I made sure to indicate in my swap that anyone was welcome to send whatever they felt was their best effort and so long as it was something they would like to receive. I've gotten so many very cute/creative cards in participation so far!! But at least expectations were set up front. I've also felt the same as you - I send in my best effort (always making sure everything is cut nicely, etc), but sometimes the cards I get back make me cringe (so elaborate, etc) and hope the people that received mine at least liked them a little! lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 07:56 AM   #44  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think putting it up front like you did is a great idea....everyone knows what they are getting into then. Those that do not want beginner cards can opt out. I have been a paper crafter for years, but new to making cards, so I have not yet tried many of the techniques for cards yet, a bit of CB and flower layering so am not comfortable joining a swap yet. Lots of ideas in my head, now to just get them into paper LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 08:04 AM   #45  
Swapper of the Month March 2012

Hi Vicki --
I saw your note to me on the other thread that this one might be of interest to me. I get frustrated by flakers yes, but I have chosen not to report them to anyone. Instead, I take the approach of simply trying to backfill spots or do them myself if necessary. I would rather pray for the person that flaked, hoping it isn't anything bad in their life that has prevented them from fulfilling that commitment.
One thing I have learned is to avoid hosting swaps that have particular commitments that would impact others if there is a flaker. I've been in a few 'secret sister' swaps where individuals flaked and others then had to angel... I've been on non-receiving side of that, as well as having angeled. Its a blessing to angel for someone, so that is okay with me, though I admit I get frustrated or disappointed when I don't receive something or have to scramble to cover a spot or delay a swap return because of a no-show.
I've hosted several where there were specific commitments too and almost always have a last minute no show or cancellation, so am choosing to avoid those types going forward, just to alleviate my own frustration or negativity.

My recommendation is to do the running list so that you have more names than needed in a swap, and don't have to worry about the impact of a no-show. For example, a 5+1 card swap with 20 people signed up... if even 5 flake, you still have 15 coming in and can rotationally swap them out without impact to any.

Regarding quality... well, that is really a matter of taste I think. What one person feels is 'high quality' or a specific style, may not be what others see as that. A card that one person feels is very original and artistic, may to another seem uncoordinated and tacky. Where some only like smooth edge items that appear neat and crisp, others like the look of something a little more rough or rustic or as handmade originals. I can't proclaim to always have perfect work by far, and even when I think I have items that are beautiful and nice, I have then received others that put me in awe of their work and suddently mine seem rather plain and 'beginner' in comparison. That doesn't mean I didn't do my best work or use quality supplies at that time... it is just a level of experience, style, preference. I have been swapping for years, been crafting for many years, have been a demonstrator, manager, and taught classes for years, but that doesn't make me an expert, and I am always amazed at all the other techniques, products, styles, ways of doing things, that I see and receive from these swaps... particularly because I do not craft full-time and I now live in a fairly remote area so I don't see all those new products and techniques except through swaps or rare trips. Doesn't mean I'm a beginner or not doing quality, just plainly didn't know about something else.

I for one do not feel I can judge anyone else's work or criticize it. As a hostess, as long as someone has met the basic requirements of a swap, I wouldn't return it or presume to judge it.

Perhaps SCS could consider 'levels' of swapping and would like to be the ones who determine how to define 'quality' work, but I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to have to do that. I enjoy seeing the variety of styles and ideas, the creativity and enjoy the friendships on this list.... THAT is why I am here... not to critique. Maybe we need hostess 'bios' on a list somewhere where people who are new to a hostess' swaps can then see how she manages hers (such as I manage mine per above) and then could avoid those types if they only want a certain 'quality' or 'level' back. That might help to alleviate some disappointment or such.

Just my two cents on the matters. : )

Last edited by StampinGoodDeeds; 07-20-2009 at 08:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

one of the last card swaps I was in - well let me tell you about the card I received. It was a flimsy card base, that had been stamped with a flourish. Then an oval - about an inch in size had been cut out of white card stock. An image had been stamped on it in black ink - they messed it up, turned it over and restamped, then colored it in in pink marker. the image was supposed to have been a pig, and didn't "go" with the card base. The really bad thing - the "bad" stamp image bled through and the colored image was horrible, becasue of this. that was my card. I don't think it should have even been mailed out - because of the double stamped, bled through image. that was not good work, it was lazy work - IMO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 08:40 AM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

On the other hand, I have been in several swaps lately, one in fact that I just didn't think my card was up to par with the other gals. It was an all white card. I told the hostess if my cards weren't ok, I didn;t mind having them sent back. The cards were cute, and done with great card stock etc. I didn't get them back, so they must have been ok with her. Again, it was my idea for her to send them back. I don't mind someone asking me to try again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 08:51 AM   #48  
Swapper of the Month March 2012

Hi Karen -- I agree that if someone is okay with that such as you noted, and that the hostess feels okay responding to that, then okay to return. But some people just have different tastes.

Kind of like we all have different levels of keeping house, you know? Or wearing makeup.

One of the great things about swapping is learning and getting new ideas. I've seen some participants' work greatly change (improve) while swapping with me, as a result of what they have gotten back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

as I have. I think I have even been in your swaps - or we in the same one

As for the all white cards - I was simply amazed at what I received back, and yippers, have started copying them all
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #50  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 615 Likes on 434 Posts

I too am tired of flakers, but I love swapping. I think communication is the key to a good swap. I only sign up when I know I can get the job done, and I try to finish early. I am stressing right now because I have a few due at the end of August and they are not done. I really like to be early. I hosted a disney rolodex swap for the letters of the alphabet. I cannot even count how many letters I ended up doing! This was way before the new rules. In the end, it was great to have all these cards on hand, they make great gifts.

I swap because I enjoy it, I love seeing what everyone else makes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 09:23 AM   #51  
Stampin' Fool

Question

I only joined image swaps in the past but have given those up because of the reasons I gave in my previous post. (You can read those if you want. I just don't want to repeat it all and waste space. )

The reason why I never joined card swaps is exactly for the reasons we are discussing now. I have been stamping for over 10 years and when I make a card, it is done well. By "well," I mean the image is centered and the ink is clear, etc. I use "good" products but perhaps what I consider good (quality) products, somebody else would not. How do we judge something like "quality" products?
Also, while my cards are neat, presentable and "nice," I do not believe I am especially creative. Since the creativity of the lay out or design is just not there, I would guess that my cards might be considered "beginner level" by some more talented swappers. You are never going to see my name on any Design Teams. LOL!

I guess my question is this: How do we decide what "quality" is? People are all different and therefore think differently and have their own individual opinions.

I think the only way to get those "quality" submissions to the swap, would be for the hostess to actually write in the rules what she means by "quality," and be very specific so that there is no question of what is expected.

However, that might create new problems. Since we are supposed to be a stamping "community", where everyone is welcome, do we wind up causing some hard feelings on the part of some people? Will people feel "left out," or discouraged?

I, truthfully, do not know where the answer lies.

Sign me, "In my cave and wondering":confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

When I first started here and was a SU demo I did a lot of swaps. I quit a couple years ago because I was tired of getting crappy cards when I worked so hard on the ones I sent to swap, many did not meet the requirements of the swap, getting many of my own back because others didnt meet their obligations...the fun just went out of it for me. I am glad that so many are having good luck though.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #53  
Mad Swapper

The quality becomes an issue for me in cardstock. When the hostess specifies SU or Bazzill like cardstock, that doesn't mean regular printer paper or construction paper (yes, I have gotten both!) When the hostess says 2 layer, that to me means 2 layers of paper.. cardstock/pattern paper or something like that...NOT construction paper base with printer paper on top.

Quality to me is not what you pay for it, it's what its weight and condition is. Quality to me is not how much stuff you can put on a card, it's how the card is made in general. If you made a one layer card with nice products then your stuff is high quality to me. If you made a one layer card with printer paper, then it's not good, see what I mean?

But, I agree... quality is different depending on the person and the lines are gray. I wish they were black and white so we would know. I always hate when I get involved in discussions like these, they never turn out well.. lol I know better but every once in awhile I will get caught up in the moment and post. But, bottom line for me, quality work means: using your best products, taking your time with your projects (quantity does not equal quality!) and sending in something that you would not be embarrassed to sign your name to and send as your own.

Not everyone likes what I send in I'm sure. Some people might look at it and go..what was she thinking. But, no one can look at my stuff and say, she used printer paper and construction paper with some homemade stickers that she colored with a crayon outside the lines.

I also want to point out, that I haven't swapped with any of you so this is not pointed towards anyone here just some of my generalizations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #54  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I have never done any swaps, but just wanted to comment on something the OP said that picks me.... that I hate the "life got in the way" excuse. Everyone has "life"- if you start/join/organize/participate in something, do it,and finish it. That excuse is being used on almost every forum I frequent from PIF's, swaps, secret sisters exchanges and everything in between and it is old and a lousy excuse. there, I've said my piece
thank you for saying your piece because you have expressed my thoughts exactly. i am tired of being forced into becoming an "enabler" for all those who repeatedly sign up and then flake out because they are "too busy", "life is so hectic", etc. i too have heard "chill out", "be more tolerant", and yes, even "get over it".

if your life is that busy and hectic, stay away from commitments that you have no intention of keeping. OK, i feel better now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #55  
Glitter Guru

Received 372 Likes on 222 Posts

I think this thread is going off topic. The OP was venting about flakers.;) I think swaps are a sore spot for many of us for some very valid reasons. (3 years?!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

Well see, there's a silver lining to every black cloud...and since you mention it...I've got some angels I still need to take care of for two of them...heh heh heh....although my usual great swappers are jumping in (note to anyone who wants to know who the GOOD EGGS ARE) as always.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
FLScrapHappy, I'm glad you're feeling better. I understand your anger. There's no excuse for dropping so many balls.

I don't swap. I tried one here at SCS last year - a fall image swap. The woman hosting it disappeared about 2/3 of the way through it. I'm a patient person; about 2-3 weeks after we were supposed to have received them, I posted on the thread as to when we might expect them. From a 3rd party, I got the ol' "life happens" crap. It was condescending; what, did she think I lived among the clouds and not here on earth with a life of my own? Courtesy is possible even when life throws us curve balls.

Eventually, the mods were involved and one or two participants filed complaints with the USPS. Come to find out, such things are considered mail fraud. Who knew?

I finally (well after fall had fallen) got my images; they were very nice. Which tells me it was just the hostess who was the bad egg; the participants were honorable.

FLScrapHappy, I'm sorry for your experience, but now that I know how much this bothers you, maybe I'll join one of your swaps, okay?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #57  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

I am trying to steer this back to flakers, if you commit, follow through. If you cannot follow through, let the hostess know so she can make arrangements. There are lots of great swappers here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

You're right, of course, my hostess Yoda.

As far as quality is concerned, I'm no judge. I'm not a "high end" swapper myself...I like my stuff, it's clean, I use quality materials, and try to give what I like to get. I know how insecure I was doing my first swap worrying about what people would think and if it was "good enough" and I still feel that way sometimes. So I would hate for anyone to think they have to be swapping "design team quality" cards or whatever...a person gets better as they go and you can't get better unless you have lots of opportunities to work (and see the work of others). So no critiques on style and quality from me.

My thing is just honor the deadlines, tell the truth if something comes up, and know when to say, "I can't do this one."

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeedsView Post
Hi Vicki --
I saw your note to me on the other thread that this one might be of interest to me. I get frustrated by flakers yes, but I have chosen not to report them to anyone. Instead, I take the approach of simply trying to backfill spots or do them myself if necessary. I would rather pray for the person that flaked, hoping it isn't anything bad in their life that has prevented them from fulfilling that commitment.
One thing I have learned is to avoid hosting swaps that have particular commitments that would impact others if there is a flaker. I've been in a few 'secret sister' swaps where individuals flaked and others then had to angel... I've been on non-receiving side of that, as well as having angeled. Its a blessing to angel for someone, so that is okay with me, though I admit I get frustrated or disappointed when I don't receive something or have to scramble to cover a spot or delay a swap return because of a no-show.
I've hosted several where there were specific commitments too and almost always have a last minute no show or cancellation, so am choosing to avoid those types going forward, just to alleviate my own frustration or negativity.

My recommendation is to do the running list so that you have more names than needed in a swap, and don't have to worry about the impact of a no-show. For example, a 5+1 card swap with 20 people signed up... if even 5 flake, you still have 15 coming in and can rotationally swap them out without impact to any.

Regarding quality... well, that is really a matter of taste I think. What one person feels is 'high quality' or a specific style, may not be what others see as that. A card that one person feels is very original and artistic, may to another seem uncoordinated and tacky. Where some only like smooth edge items that appear neat and crisp, others like the look of something a little more rough or rustic or as handmade originals. I can't proclaim to always have perfect work by far, and even when I think I have items that are beautiful and nice, I have then received others that put me in awe of their work and suddently mine seem rather plain and 'beginner' in comparison. That doesn't mean I didn't do my best work or use quality supplies at that time... it is just a level of experience, style, preference. I have been swapping for years, been crafting for many years, have been a demonstrator, manager, and taught classes for years, but that doesn't make me an expert, and I am always amazed at all the other techniques, products, styles, ways of doing things, that I see and receive from these swaps... particularly because I do not craft full-time and I now live in a fairly remote area so I don't see all those new products and techniques except through swaps or rare trips. Doesn't mean I'm a beginner or not doing quality, just plainly didn't know about something else.

I for one do not feel I can judge anyone else's work or criticize it. As a hostess, as long as someone has met the basic requirements of a swap, I wouldn't return it or presume to judge it.

Perhaps SCS could consider 'levels' of swapping and would like to be the ones who determine how to define 'quality' work, but I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to have to do that. I enjoy seeing the variety of styles and ideas, the creativity and enjoy the friendships on this list.... THAT is why I am here... not to critique. Maybe we need hostess 'bios' on a list somewhere where people who are new to a hostess' swaps can then see how she manages hers (such as I manage mine per above) and then could avoid those types if they only want a certain 'quality' or 'level' back. That might help to alleviate some disappointment or such.

Just my two cents on the matters. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #59  
Stampin' Fool

As a new swapper, I usually pm the hostess, requesting that she let me know if my sent items were not up to swap standards. Having said that, I have been on the receiving end of flakers and I did not enjoy it. I share frustrations of swap quality with other posters, but I really don't think there is much that can be done about that. Swap flakers, on the other hand, should be dealt with if there is a consistent pattern of flaking by one person.
Many thoughtful posts here....much food for thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #60  
Insane Embellisher

I've been lucky and have only been in 1 swap that flaked (not on SCS)- it was my first one, too! But I keep on swapping, because I like to make cards and what nots for people who understand papercrafting and can appreciate the work that goes into it.

If you have a question about style and quality, you can always look at a person's gallery to get an idea if they are someone you would want to swap with before you sign up.

I'll keep on swapping even if I might get burned once in a while. And, isn't there actually a list somewhere on SCS of good/ bad hostesses? Maybe it's a hostess recognition thread where you compliment a great hostess? I remember something like that....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #61  
Mad Swapper

Exclamation I hear you and more!

It has happened to me the few times I hosted a swap. The problem I get is filling my swaps. It never fails, for every swap I host, I cancel 75 percent of the time! I post on the Demo side and regular swaps. I always do great work and get my swaps out in time, with a gift for the hostess. Everytime I want to host a swap, well it is down right fustrating. I posted RAK for a charity event for Autism to send some cards-not one repsonse! Not one...I have sent many RAK and $$$$ supplies to demos who have lost supplies in a fire or flood...not a thank you card, e-mail-NOTHING. Now I do things out of the kindess of my heart, but here at SCS I am very fustrated. So now I do not join/host swaps or ask for RAK etc....I do try to sell my retired stamps, and that seemed to get some king of reponse.

Ok, thats for letting me vent too!

Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #62  
Insane Embellisher

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default flakers

well ,if people are habitual flakers shouldnt they be banned from scs? bet that would cure them quickly!(or not!) they should get 1 chance tho! just my 2 cents!

karen adams
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #63  
Kookie Creator

I have only been on SCS for a little while and already have a list of my own about who to not participate in swaps with. I have run into the same few people who can't seem to honour time commitments or any kind of commitments at all.
Love the comment about the hostess who flaked on her own swap and then signed up for other ones...wonder if it's the one on my list. I know 'life happens' but it is a crappy excuse. For me right now I just don't buy it, I am personally going through some serious medical issues, yet I still have not flaked on any of the swaps that I signed up for. If I make the commitment then I follow through and if I can't then well I must be dead ;)
I do not do very many image swaps anymore due to flakers and the quality issue, too tired of recieving 'crap'. I have also given up on other kinds of swaps as I don't feel that I should have to wait two months for the hostess to swap out the items and return them.
On a side note, if the hostess sets out the rules and the stuff she receives is less than satifactory, isn't it her responsibilty to contact the person and correct it? I have had images sent to me where the first side is smudged or such and the stamper has crossed it off with a marker and then flipped the paper over and stamped again. This makes the image useless as you can see both the wrong image and the marker. I think the hostess should be contacting people like that and not passing those images onward, just my own personal opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #64  
Rubber Obsessor

I can certainly understand your frustration, Vicki (and all you others in the same boat). Several years back someone in one of my groups suggested a scrapbook page swap, offering to hostess. Got everyone very excited, received everyone's pages AND MONEY TO MAIL THEM BACK, and then never did anything on it...including refunding money for postage. When contacted by me (on more than one occasion) both blew me off and became hostile and rude. Needless to say I don't have anything to do with her in the group OR here on the boards...

It's too bad when someone (for whatever reason) spoils it for the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #65  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Not necessarily meaning your post in particular, but is a common complaint I see at SCS....swap items not being good enough, so I wonder just what is good enough? I understand, I too hate half-hearted attempts. I have recieved a few in SS swaps over the years.
Let me describe a half hearted attempt- I did a scrapbook page swap last year and I received a blank pages with one 2 inch photo copied image of some fairy or angel or something on white copy paper colored in with markers. It was stuck on the page corner. That was it. I couldn't believe it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really like StampinGoodDeeds comments! Very well said.

I also learned to keep a running list for swappers. When it closes I do groups then for myself for swapping out the goodies. THis way if I get a flaker - it doesn't matter.

I had 1 hostess flake last fall. She flakes on 4 swaps. A few of us reported her here USPS for mail fraud as she got away with over $300 in cash and stamps.
2 weeks later those few of us got our swaps back but no one else did. She is no longer an SCS member.
Some of you will know who i am talking about.

I like to host swaps and participate and many other swaps. I love to swap and have been for a few years now. In fact I normally sign up for a swap and get my stuff created right away! I am already done Mid Septembers swaps I joined!!!

I do have a teeny tiny list of hostesses that I will not join again as it was frustrating with them. In fact that was from long ago and I have not seen them on SCS for a very long time - good thing.

For a newbie swapping - I actually started by joining image swaps when I first joined. That taught me what it was about and I got the hang of it.
There are some swaps once in a while that will say for newbies as tehy are specifically for them.
But for my swaps - I welcome ALL stampers - brand new or long-timers.
So if you are a newer stamper or new to SCS - Feel free to join any of my swaps - I will be happy to have you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #67  
Matboard Maniac

I agree on the subject of flakers. Of course life happens, and the one time excuse is usually accepted by all. Repeated excuses, not so much.
As far as swaps not being up to someones standards, what I consider my best may be only good for your trash can. If you are not willing to take that chance , simply don't swap. Make your own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #68  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

well ,if people are habitual flakers shouldnt they be banned from scs?
As per the new rules in the swap forum, swappers that fail to complete their swap commitment three times are barred from swapping on SCS. Any hostess that fails to send back swaps is removed from SCS entirely (this means runs off with the entire swap, not just one or two packages that get lost - which seems to happen a lot).

There are many swappers out there that sign up for swaps without realizing that they are making a commitment. By signing up you are telling the hostess that yes, I want to participate and yes, I will do my best to follow the rules set forth by the hostess. You are also telling your fellow swappers that yes, I will make my swap to the best of my ability and I will follow the rules to the best of my ability.

With the sheer volume of swappers, the moderators depend on swap forum participants to report members that do not complete their swap commitments. Too many times to count I have been surprised by members who continually fail to complete their swaps, but we don't hear about it until their umpteenth time. Imagine all the swap participants that they have disappointed by not fulfilling their commitment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2009, 06:32 AM   #69  
Rubber Obsessor

Sub
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #70  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I have had images sent to me where the first side is smudged or such and the stamper has crossed it off with a marker and then flipped the paper over and stamped again. This makes the image useless as you can see both the wrong image and the marker. I think the hostess should be contacting people like that and not passing those images onward, just my own personal opinion.
I have never participated in any swaps, but I am wondering how you can see the image through the other side of the paper? I do this for cards I make, if I mess up one side of the paper, I flip it over and stamp on the other. If I hold it up to a window, I can see it, but not if it is stuck down to another piece of paper. Or are they just using such thin paper that you can see right though it? I mostly use Gina K for stamping on now, but even when I used Georgia Pacific from Walmart, I still could not see through it once it was stuck down.

However, if I was stamping images to send to someone else like in a swap, I don't think I would want them to look so messy, either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #71  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been lucky with the swaps I've participated in here and on other forums. I can understand the fustration people feel with flakers. It would seriously drive me crazy. I hate being late, for anything, period. The quality issue is a really touchy and subjective topic. I have received cards from people that have used Michaels cardstock, and have used it when I first started out. To most people, this is not what is considered "quality" cardstock. I don't use it myself anymore, but I don't look down my nose at people who do use it either. You never know what a person's circumstances are. Perhaps that's all they can afford, or that's all they have access to. You just never know. I appreciate having the "rules" laid out for me so I know exactly what's expected in terms of products to use. I think if people state "good quality" it should be qualified as well. Everyone's idea of "quality" is not the same. That's just my 2 cents worth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #72  
Insane Embellisher

Every swap I've partcipated in has had some flakers. It is very frustrating. The last one I was in was a very large scrapbooking swap and we had 3 flakers that had signed up for many spots in different themes. It would have been a disaster, but we had a TERRIFIC hostess that stepped in and filled a bunch of the spots. Buckeye Stamper saved the day! The swap turned out great because of her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #73  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftingcarenView Post
Every swap I've partcipated in has had some flakers. It is very frustrating. The last one I was in was a very large scrapbooking swap and we had 3 flakers that had signed up for many spots in different themes. It would have been a disaster, but we had a TERRIFIC hostess that stepped in and filled a bunch of the spots. Buckeye Stamper saved the day! The swap turned out great because of her.
Great to hear! Make note of that girls...Buckeye Stamper=4 stars!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 04:45 PM   #74  
Pearl-ExPert

subscribing to read later......think this might be a good topic..
Susie

My Blog: http://susiestampr.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #75  
Polyshrink Goddess

I feel your pain. I recently held a swap on another board and was quite upset with the way it turned out. I too sent weekly reminders on when it was due. Consistently posting the same post with the same rules I had. I was quite disheartened when I received them, a few which were late, and one that came with no SASE at all and of course the flakers that never bothered saying they weren't sending their cards in.

Stampers... we are all adults. When signing up for a swap, I completely understand the different levels of stamping, i.e. beginners, intermediate, WARRIORS! HAHAHAH... but please, oh please, take the time and put the effort in your cards or fronts or ATC's or whatever the swap calls for. No one is outting anyone based on their skill level. Just not following the rules and sending in your swaps on time.

If you commit to a spot, then follow thru with it. Almost all of the swaps I see posted always are a couple of months out. It seems as if there is plenty of time to get them done. Even if they are sent early... they are definitely there before the due date. That is why there are rules. That is why they are posted over and over again. Why reminders are sent. This is suppose to be fun.

Just my humble opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #76  
Insane Embellisher

I've been considering hosting a swap myself but am wondering if it's worth it based on how much time it could take should one or more not follow through. It seems like it happens alot, and that's sad.

I've joined several swaps lately and have gotten some back that the base was made of construction paper and layers of copy paper. I know that may have been all the person could afford, and I respect that, but I would have expected them to at least be neatly put together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 06:14 PM   #77  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

I already commented, but I too am tired of flakers. I welcome the new rules and am close to reporting a hostess. It ended up being a swap where we just mailed to each other because there were not enough participants, I mailed mine, but have yet to get anything in return. The due date was June 30th, but she hasn't been online for a few weeks. I will wait until the end of the month and check again.

I welcome the new rules! Swaps are like ebay-once you click that bid button you are committed. Once you sign up for a swap, follow through! I have a few swaps due at the end of August and am getting worried about finishing. I am 75% done, but I do not even like to wait this late, and I have 5 weeks left!

The quality issue is a whole different topic for a different thread. I am very accepting. I just hosted a swap where one person was going through a lot in her life, she still mailed her stuff in, but without and embellishment so I added some ribbon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #78  
Gallery Gazer

This all makes me so sad. About a year ago, I stopped hostessing and swapping because of flakers and a participant who accused me of something I did not do. I still remedied the situation, but it made me stop swapping all together. I miss swapping. I'm glad many of you are having good experiences. Flakers are always going to be around, but maybe I will try it again someday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 08:53 PM   #79  
Vee
Glitter Guru

I quit after a year of being in a monthly swap. The quality and quantity gradually declined to where I had to not join the next round. I also was accused of not following the rules once and had my stuff returned. I reread the rules in noticed I DID follow them, but the swap was done by 2 hostesses who had different understanding of their own rules. I now only swap in person with local groups.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #80  
Pearl-ExPert

I've hosted and participated in a couple swaps. I agree that the key is to not over commit. It's very tempting to say "oh I want to do that" but you need to know your limits. For me, one swap at a time (either hosting or participating) is it. Once that is done, on to another. I have to say the last one I hosted - I had 100% participation with no flakers. It was awesome! And the quality was great too. I gave out prizes and they were all deserving. My dh must have spent about 3 hours in total over 2 days rearranging and deciding.

What I do feel silly about is that I went to post the start of a new one and I kept getting a message that I wasn't allowed to post. What's up with that I thought? Well, I'll try again later. I got busy with summer and then finally after about 3 weeks, I looked more closely and realized I had to "register". I did this about 5 or 6 day ago and have not tried since but am I supposed to get an email that I'm accepted? Or just try again?

Reply With Quote Likes