Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-14-2018, 05:17 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts
Default "Invited only" blogs

Recently two of the blogs that I regularly follow apparently switched their settings so that I get a message that "this blog is open to invited readers only", and suggests that I contact the blogger if I think that it's an error. The problem with that suggestion is that the only way I know to contact the blogger is from a link on their blog.

That's frustrating enough already, but I have to wonder how/why it happened in the first place, as both bloggers are on design teams. Doesn't having a private blog sort of defeat the purpose?

I guess I'm not really looking for a solution, since it's not technically a "problem" - more of a curiosity... Thoughts?

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2018, 05:27 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

It might be an accident - have you tried finding them on social media and contacting them that way?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2018, 06:07 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happens when someone decides to close their blog without deleting the whole thing. Maybe they aren’t sure if they want to keep blogging, but haven’t gone all the way to delete it? I did this in the past with a personal blog. I can see the content, but no one else can anymore. It is there in case I want to make it public again, though.

Maybe they are closing this blog and setting up another? Could they be stepping down from design teams?

It is possible they changed the settings by mistake.

Last edited by howdyheidi; 06-14-2018 at 06:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2018, 08:19 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Blogger seems to have been experiencing some hiccups recently. For example, email notification of comments is not working and hasn’t been for a couple of weeks. Could it be a temporary glitch that’s nothing to do with the owner of the blogs, do you think?

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2018, 10:07 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I believe the change in email comment notification is something else they changed to comply with the European privacy laws.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Blogger are calling the comment notification thing a known issue and say they�re working on a fix (see their post here if you�re interested)

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2018, 11:28 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
Blogger are calling the comment notification thing a known issue and say they�re working on a fix (see their post here if you�re interested)

Good to know! I assumed it was a change since it happened the same time as the privacy change.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2018, 11:53 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

My first thought is "what a turnoff." I hope a glitch is causing it and that this is not a new trend. I can't imagine why a blogger on a design team would do this. I would stop visiting bloggers who did this intentionally.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2018, 04:56 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the input, ladies! I guess I still don't have a definitive answer for these particular bloggers, but at least there are a few options to consider. I rarely go to blogs on a regular basis (too little time in my day, and I'd rather spend it here), but I have to admit that I was a bit dismayed. Ah well, I guess I'll just have to haunt Pinterest for their creations in future...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2018, 03:29 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

That's the problem:

General Data Protection Regulation*
and the people are just scared, they have to pay a hell lot of money for what ever they are doing wrong.
It's actually a real and a big problem in the EU.

...not just the EU, for everyone internationally who shares content in the EU

*I am not allowed to post a link, so who ever would like to read it, here you'll find it:
https ://en. wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2018, 05:26 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I wondered if it could be a reaction to the Data Protection laws. As far as I know, the banner that appears along the top when you go to a blog is sufficient to be within the law- it's why you can't turn it off. But I do know of some people who haven't been aware that that is the solution,( as you do not see it when you visit your own blog, only other peoples) and have been concerned about breaking the laws, and not known how to keep themselves safe. Maybe they have become private, thinking that was the way to protect themselves?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2018, 05:59 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm pretty sure that the Data Protection laws are the cause, as both blogs are European-based. Mystery solved, but how frustrating it must be for all involved!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

The mainproblem is that no one knows what the new law really means. It's absolutely weird and I don't know if you ever heard something about the thing called "Abmahnung"?
Wikipedia is telling me, in english it means "Cease and desist" (I really don't know if that's the right translation).
Past time many creative people in Germany had problems and had to pay really a lot of money to Lawyers, who forced them with this thing "Abmahnung".

My english is not good enough to explain it, I'm really sorry :oops: but that's one point why people are careful. Maybe more than necessary.
Sad story.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2018, 07:26 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Usually "cease and desist" comes into play if there is copyright infringement or something like that, so that could have been what the creatives were experiencing. I can see it being a smart move to err on the side of caution until everyone figures out exactly what the law means and how it will play out for bloggers, etc. Sad that people who are just trying to put something positive and pretty in the world have to pay the price for a few bad actors...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2018, 02:42 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I am pretty sure it is the new Data Protection Laws. I got the message last night on one of my blogs even though I could still read it. Some of the sites like Google are doing things with their servers and what not for the Net Neutrality too. I know that for a fact since I had some work this week, lol. I don't freelance for Google but I would not be surprised since most of the big names are configuring and changing. I would give your blogs another go Tuesday when everyone is done. IT and security nerds usually work late at night and on weekends when the net is most quiet.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2018, 08:09 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some European bloggers made their original blog private, then opened up a new blog. I'm not sure in which way this helps them, but it could be because over the years there would be so much on their old blog that wouldn't go along with the new privacy laws, so instead of going through the whole blog deleting things, they decided to open up a new blog. If you remember which design teams this blogger was on, you might be able to check on the DT blog....there could be a link to her new blog. One of the members of a challenge DT's I am on did this and she said she know of several others that did this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2018, 07:07 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
Some European bloggers made their original blog private, then opened up a new blog. I'm not sure in which way this helps them, but it could be because over the years there would be so much on their old blog that wouldn't go along with the new privacy laws, so instead of going through the whole blog deleting things, they decided to open up a new blog. If you remember which design teams this blogger was on, you might be able to check on the DT blog....there could be a link to her new blog. One of the members of a challenge DT's I am on did this and she said she know of several others that did this.

I have checked the company blog a few times and the link still goes to the "invited only" blog, but maybe it just takes time to get it all sorted. I'll keep checking back periodically. Thanks for the info!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2018, 01:51 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ran across this myself for the first time today, it was a German stamping blog. I didn't even think of the new privacy laws but I bet that's it. Hopefully they'll get it sorted.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2018, 08:32 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Sue
Did you try to contact the company they design for to ask them what's up? That is what I would do. They should either know why the designer did that or if not then they can decide what to do with a designer that isn't sharing publicly anymore.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes