Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-28-2023, 06:31 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inks that won't smear after stamping?

I'm new to working with stamps, unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time for a learning curve. I want to create stamped gift tags for items I sell. I started with a brush marker so i could use more than one color, they turned out well, but if the tag gets at all wet the stamp smears. I can use a use a permanent ink pad on the single color stamp. what are my options for ink markers or ways to make ink permanent on gift tags?
I'd love to have the option for metallic ink but I'm guessing that is not possible?

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2023, 08:05 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,866 Posts

If you are using a stamp positioner, leave the stamped image in the positioner, clean your stamp after the marker, then use an embossing ink and clear embossing powder and heat set it. This will keep it colored, but the embossing powder will protect it from smearing. This is one way. For metallic ink, I would purchase pigment inks and heat set them the same way. They will take embossing powder without needing embossing ink, as they sit on top of the paper and take a long time to dry.

If you are not using a stamp positioner, like a MISTI, Stamparatus, Tim Holtz, etc., if you have Lego's about, you can make your own. You need a 90 degree corner to place a square acrylic or wood block against so you have a place to keep placing the same stamp. The paper needs to be stuck down to something so it won't move, but it does work in a pinch.

Welcome to SCS and welcome to the world of stamping. You can learn a lot quickly by experimenting.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2023, 01:58 PM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, Im not using a stamp positioner.
I have 2 rubber stamps on wooden block. The gift tag, will have From: Santa and To: leaving blank space for name. I was looking at using a brush marker on for the stamp itself, and a fine point marker, in same color, to hand write the recipients name. I'm hoping to keep things relatively simple, the gift tags are for Christmas orders. I could go with just using one color, use a permanent ink pad, but I guess it will be hard to find the same color in a marker for writing the recipients name.
I will skip the metallic ink thought, I don't want to use a heat tool, and wanting to minimize expenses.
​​​​​​​
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2023, 02:17 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 666 Likes on 418 Posts

if you use a ink pen that has an alcohol base to it, it should not be water reactive.
( however do not apply that directly to your rubber stamp, just color the paper with it)
( like sharpie markers or Copic markers)
if you use a non water reactive ink to stamp with, ( say something from the versafine line) ( you can find this at Joanns or Micheals if there is a store near you)
if you let that ink dry it will also not smear from being wet. and you would not have to heat set it unless you create your tags from a non porus surface coated paper (say shiny paper, acetate or slippery papers) (versafine will never dry on coated paper)

does that help at all?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2023, 02:26 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,866 Posts

I agree with Stacy. I use Versafine for clear black letters or watercolor. I will smear it, as I am impatient, so I heat emboss it. I totally understand about keeping the expenses down, especially since your are brand new to stamping. The ink will dry on plain paper. I place mine way away from my hands and any pets, so it can dry.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
mof (11-09-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 02:19 PM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 852 Likes on 280 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsgaloreView Post
Unfortunately, Im not using a stamp positioner.
I have 2 rubber stamps on wooden block. The gift tag, will have From: Santa and To: leaving blank space for name. I was looking at using a brush marker on for the stamp itself, and a fine point marker, in same color, to hand write the recipients name. I'm hoping to keep things relatively simple, the gift tags are for Christmas orders. I could go with just using one color, use a permanent ink pad, but I guess it will be hard to find the same color in a marker for writing the recipients name.
I will skip the metallic ink thought, I don't want to use a heat tool, and wanting to minimize expenses.
Stazon Ink comes in many colors besides black. If you are careful you can apply one color to one word and a second color to the other word then stamp onto card stock. You'd have to work relatively quickly though so the ink doesn't dry.
Or you could try using Dorland's wax ( art supply store or online) or some other water proofing medium to seal the color. Not sure how well it would work though when a person has to write something over it.
​​​​​​​
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2023, 02:55 PM   #7  

Received 275 Likes on 162 Posts

There are spray fixatives on the market, but if you don’t mind the scent, cheap hairspray works like a shellac. Making tags from a brown paper bag would provide an inexpensive country look. Also, Crayola Crayon markers or any other inexpensive water based markers work well for coloring your stamps and stamping onto paper. A clear embossing ink stamped over the top, then embossed with clear powder, would protect your stamped tags nicely. For a heat source to melt the powder, a toaster works. We all had a beginning in this hobby. These are a few ideas I personally used in the beginning that worked for me. Twenty plus years later I’ve spent a small fortune!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
shirlb19 (11-21-2023)