Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-06-2016, 07:21 AM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ink Help!!

Is there an ink out there that doesn't stamp splotchy and then spread out over time and the color fades a bit?

This seems to be the most popular type of dye ink that companies are using. I know SU inks are great but they don't come in cubes anymore.

Any suggestions?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2016, 07:40 AM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Are looking for an ink that works well on clear (photopolymer) stamps? If so, I've had very good results with Memento inks, and the come in small dewdrop pads. Nice color selection, too.
I've also used PAperTreyInk (PTI), inks and they works wonderfully well on clear stamps and their color selection is great - all their colors are offered in cube size as well as full size.
Versafine inks work really well on clear stamps and they are available in cube size if you search for them. Only problem with Versafine is that their color selection is limited.
I'm sure others can expand on the list, but this should get you started! Happy shopping! :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2016, 07:52 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Even with SU inks, I find that it takes a few minutes for it to soak into the paper and even out. So, the bright color you stamp it out is not the same as the color it will be once it's dry. That's one of the properties of dye ink, though, as it just needs time to absorb into the paper.

Pigment inks sit on top of the paper, so they don't have this issue. What you stamp is what you get. However, there's other things to take into consideration -- like longer drying time or the pigment flaking off if it's not sealed with something like clear embossing powder.

If you want something that's between those two, you could try Ranger's Archival Inks . They stamp fairly crisply and evenly like pigment ink, but they soak into the paper like dye inks (so they don't smear and stain).

Some other considerations to keep in mind is if you'll be using coloring mediums on your card too. Alcohol markers don't work with every ink (particularly pigment and archival), and you have to make sure the ink is waterproof before trying to watercolor with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2016, 08:01 AM   #4  
BA
Polyshrink Goddess

SU now sells empty ink spots (in a pack of 5) and then you can make them any color you want with ink refills. If you are pleased with SU inks why not make your own spots?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2016, 08:49 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Thank you so much ladies!!

Can't wait to shop now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2016, 08:51 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAView Post
SU now sells empty ink spots (in a pack of 5) and then you can make them any color you want with ink refills. If you are pleased with SU inks why not make your own spots?
One thing to consider when buying the empty ink spots. They are the old fashioned felt/fabric type, not the newer foam like SU now uses on their big ink pads.
I've noticed a definite difference in felt pads vs foam pads in how evenly they lay down the ink. Just my observation....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
One thing to consider when buying the empty ink spots. They are the old fashioned felt/fabric type, not the newer foam like SU now uses on their big ink pads.
I've noticed a definite difference in felt pads vs foam pads in how evenly they lay down the ink. Just my observation....
Susy, which do you prefer?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2016, 05:50 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Your paper could make a difference too.

Jennifer McGuire just did a new vid on inks for beginners and I think she had a hybrid ink that she said did not change color so much. You might want to look there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2016, 07:09 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftycrunchymamaView Post
Susy, which do you prefer?
I played around with my inks last night so I could answer this with accuracy. What I discovered was that the felt cube pads worked well with every brand I had, including SU!
Memento ink dew drops (dye ink) have a felt pad and load the ink flawlessly on clear and rubber stamps.
PTI (PAperTreyInk) cubes (dye ink) have felt pads and they provide crisp, clear images using both clear and rubber stamps.
Versafine cubes (pigment ink) have felt pad, ditto on clear stamped images.

Same for Hero Arts hybrid cubes.

Altenew cubes had the wobbliest coverage. Not sure I'm loving the ones I have...

Back to my comment about SU. I have had my SU cubes FOREVER, I mean they are from the 90's, I think. I rarely use them anymore, mainly because it thought they gave as poor of coverage as SU regular sized felt pads (retired),
Imagine my surprise last night when I pull out my old SU cubes, which still have nice wet ink!!!!!!, and discover that they work beautifully with the new photopolymer stamps! Oh my, I'm in love with them again! :cool:

One caveat: the photopolymer stamps I used were already used and conditioned. The results may differ with new unused photopolymer. Tip I learned about conditioning is to use versamark ink on the new stamp first, and then stamp off many times with regular ink until it stamps crisp image. If that fails, run the stamp over the leg of your blue jeans a few times...

So I withdraw my comment on sticking to foam cubes, because the felts work just fine.
Happy stamping when you finally get "cubed"! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2016, 06:00 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Ditto wavejumper's sentiment (no pun intended) that paper can make a big difference. It does hugely for watercolor, and almost as much for inks.

I use dye/pigment/hybrid/distress/etc. inks from different companies, depending on the project, mainly use photopolymer stamps, though not entirely. and images don't get splotchy or spread out.

I guarantee it has nothing to do with my technique or more accurately, lack thereof.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes