Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-21-2005, 02:10 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importance of an Upline?

Hi everyone,

I am SERIOUSLY thinking about becoming a demo and I was wondering if someone (or all of you) can tell me the importance of your upline? I have a lady that is very busy with her full time job and doesn't seem to be on top of her Stampin Up business all the time, but I still think she is wonderful!!
Then there is another lady that I have heard about who has made Stampin Up her career and does VERY well.
So, I am torn on how to make a decision that will benefit ME... but I do not know what or how to base my decision on.

Thanks for your help!

Patti
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 02:19 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Go with the lady that has made SU her career. While you can do it without an upline, it makes a HUGE difference to have a good one. I'm considering quitting for 6 months and then signing up again so that I can have a good upline.

But it also depends on what you want to get out of it. If you want to make this a business, go with the career upline. If you want just a discount, then it wouldn't be a problem to go the other way as long as you know in advance that you most likely will not have the support you want or need down the line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 02:21 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

Patti you need to figure out what YOU need and go with that demo. Maybe you could express your concerns to the first lady you mentioned and see what she says. My upline is great but also very busy so if you're someone who is going to need more attention, you really need to consider how much time they will be able to devote to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 02:41 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

What exactly is an Upline for? What is their role? What kinds of things should or could they do for their downlines?

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 02:57 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say go with whoever you think will be better. I think that the lady who you say is great even though she has a full-time job may be a fabulous upline. If she doesn't have a whole bunch of people in her group, she can focus a little more attention on you personally. If you like her and her personality and feel she will be a good support, I'd say go with her.

The lady who has made it a career could also be good, but may not be as personal. Just because someone has a lot of demos under them or because they do a lot of workshops doesn't mean they'll be the best upline for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 03:12 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think it depends a lot on your personality. I have a super upline and a super up-upline. They are both very different and each give a lot to help me succeed in my business. For me, the personal part of it is probably the most important because I am a self starter and kind of do my own thing. If you don't think you are like that, the one who is more business like may be a better choice. Only you can really decide and it could all change after you actually start with SU. Just look at all the good points of each and try to decide what YOU need.
Roberta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 03:13 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

To answer your question:

Here is what an upline is advised to do by SU on the demonstrator agreement which she must sign:

"As the recruiter, I understand that the company advises I assist the above applicant in becoming a successful independent demonstrator with training in product usage techniques, sales techniques, business building techniques, company procedures, company policies, and proper completion of order forms, for our mutual success." -

The most important thing an upline should do is to help you find the information you need to get off to a good start. After that, many uplines continue the relationship with their group by phone, email or in person with meetings.

But please, let's not get into comparisons of uplines here.
Good luck in your decision!
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 04:33 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Another thing to consider is how close your upline is to you. Physically close, I mean. I'm a CMC, but my upline is over an hour away, which makes it difficult to get to her trainings, events, etc. If I had it to do over again, I'd sign up with someone closer to me, and I'd definitely have spent more time deciding who to sign up under, instead of just doing it. Even if you think you only want to be a hobby demo, sign up with the upline who'll be most able to support you if you change your mind, and who'll appreciate and celebrate your success at whatever level you work your business.
(Please understand, I mean no disrespect to my upline. She's great, I just never see her, and that makes getting what I need from her in the way of support and info a whole lot harder on both of us.)

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 04:54 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Which person can you talk to easier. I know 2 career type demos that do very little for their downlines, they are too busy to do much. Talk to downline members of these people. Do they get help, questions answered in timely manner, new ideas shared? What do you want/need from a upline? Which would better give you that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 05:04 PM   #11  
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

Katestamps,
I respectfully want to post the flip side of that coin. (No pot stirring here, just the other side!!!)

My upline is 5 hours away from me. I've talked to her on the phone and in email tons and tons, but only have met her once IRL.

HOWEVER, I couldn't ask for better support from an upline. When I was just a customer, my upline to be who didn't even know she was my upline to be (that made sense didn't it) took better care of me than a demo who lives 2 streets over and who I've done things with on a social level, who is also a career demo.

My upline has a special yahoo group for her "children" and "grandchildren". On there she posts the techniques and samples from the training classes she's had with her local children. She checks in with us constantly and is very encouraging to us all. I doubt seriously that she could be more attentive if I lived in the same city.

Of course, not everyone is as wonderful as my upline (I say that HIGHLY predigously)

I say all of the long above (sorry) to point out that while yes, it would be great if your upline was local and close, don't rule out an upline just because she's not.

Go with your gut feeling. I stressed a little over going with a "stranger" versus going with a "friend." (actually more of an acquaintance) But I knew that even with me doing this as a hobby demo, my "friend" wouldn't offer me the support that I wanted.

Now I have a new "family" AND a great upline.

Good luck on your decision!!!
elizabethfromorange

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 05:27 PM   #12  
KA
Hardware Hotshot

I think you've gotten a lot of great advice here in these answers. I'd have to say I agree that you have to figure out what you want to do. I don't think I've heard from my upline in over a year. Not that I need a lot of assistance, I like to think that I am a go getter, but it would be nice every now and then to be taught something new, receive a little recognition, be checked in with every once in a while. Don't get me wrong. She is a very nice person but she has a very busy life outside of SU! as well that I totally respect. She's also about an hour away... however the physical locality isn't really an issue in this day and age of e-mail. Plus all my family is that way so I have no problem traveling the hour.
In the end, if I were to do it over again I think I too would've researched other demos in my area. There are 2 I can think of off the top of my head that are much closer (physically) and hold regular meetings, send out e-mails, etc to their downline and even "sidelines" if you will. They show support, encouragement, and recognize great achievements.
Now I say all of this with the knowledge of being an upline in another home based business for a year and a half. I have a great team under me whom I hold regular meetings for, reward with products for meeting sale goals, challenges, outstanding parties, send out monthly newsletters as well as hand stamped cards (of course!) periodically, etc, etc, and they really appreciate that. Afterall their hard work does benefit me financially in the end and why shouldn't I give back to them in some small way? Everything I give back to them only helps them to build their business in the long run.

Just food for thought. I don't know if I helped and I certainly don't want it to sound like I'm upline bashing because I'm not at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 05:44 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Default Importance of an Upline?

ditto KA
What a great answer! I agree! I am fortunate to have a wonderful upline! I have direct support from the 3 above me and consider myself very lucky!!! I enjoy the meetings , learning new techniques etc... It keeps me motivated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 07:59 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I just want to thank ALL of you for helping me make my decision a bit easier! You have all given me things to think about and consider before jumping to my decision.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Patti (soon to be Patti the Stampin Up Demo )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 08:39 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I love my upline! I have gone out on my own for the most part. She's always there to lend a hand or answer a question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 10:12 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

you've gotten a lot of great advice, but it really does come down to what you are looking for. i know you want specifics, but everyone has different reasons for signing up so their needs are different too.

my thought process was similar to yours. i knew i wanted to sign up but couldn't decide which of the demos i knew in my area to sign under.

so i thought about why i was joining and what i wanted. i signed for the discount and that is all i wanted, so really, did it matter who i signed under? not really. then i thought, perhaps i'll change my mind down the road and want more... changing demos isn't easy so if i were signing to start a business, what would i want? there are things that made my list that others might not find important and there are things i didn't even consider that may mean the world to someone else.

i decided that none of the demos i knew were everything i was looking for and was preparing to sign with one who was the closest match. i posted here and a member of scs put me in contact with a friend of hers who has a downline in my area (thanks again milette!). we exchanged contact info and i showed up at our initial meeting with a list of questions. she was everything i was looking for and i signed up after just one meeting.

though i will say, i'm really glad i thought it through on the "what if" side of things. despite my intentions to sign up as a hobby demo, within days of getting part of my kit, i had a couple of great opportunities fall in my lap! one would have been impossible for me without the help of my upline--she set up the display (all the samples were hers), gave me a product display to use (again, all her items), provided extra technique booklets, mini catalogs and full size catalogs for me to use, gave me a doorprize and entry slips to use and found another experienced demo to be there with me!

she's also lent me things to "try before i buy" and stuff that i can use for an open house i'm having. those weren't things i really even thought much about when signing--but boy am i grateful for it now!

think of this as a hiring process. find someone who fits your needs now but will also fit any needs you anticipate having in the future (such as shifting from hobby to business or perhaps the other way around). you don't have an obligation to sign under anyone--including any demo(s) you are currently using or have used in the past.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 02:10 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I have to say that you all are awesome!
Each one of you has given me something different to think about.
My problem is that right now I think I want to sign up just as a hobby demo.... because I am afraid I won't have enough people to actually call it a business. :oops: But.... I am hoping that someday it could actually turn out to be more of an extra income... something more then to just support my habit.
Thanks again everyone!! I think I have made my decision, thanks to everyone out there for pointing out different things to consider when making my choice.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 02:10 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I have to say that you all are awesome!
Each one of you has given me something different to think about.
My problem is that right now I think I want to sign up just as a hobby demo.... because I am afraid I won't have enough people to actually call it a business. :oops: But.... I am hoping that someday it could actually turn out to be more of an extra income... something more then to just support my habit.
Thanks again everyone!! I think I have made my decision, thanks to everyone out there for pointing out different things to consider when making my choice.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 03:29 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

I really like my upline as a person but she is too busy to do anything for her downline. It's so hard when you have someone you like but I really do consider myself an orphaned demo. I haven't heard from her in over 6 months. I am really begining to see that a good upline makes a huge difference. For example I really wanted to go to our local seminar but I know no other demo's to go with so I waited until I could register and take a guest. Unfortunately I did not get in. It is the little things like that that make a difference. If you really want to start a career here I think you have to think of your needs first! Good Luck, either way you're going to love it! Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 03:35 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Default upline

Definitely go with someone whos not so busy and has the time to devote to SU...My upline signed us up and lives in area but disappeared,won't even answer the phone.. moppet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 04:18 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default choices

If I'd only new You got great advice I wish I had it before I joined
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 05:01 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default importance of an upline

Hello There

Sign up under the demo who has made Stampin' Up her career. She will give you all the support and guidance to help your business grow. I know what you mean by the other lady being wonderful. I made the mistake though of signing up under someone like that and now I regreted!!!

I was lucky to have found someone whose life is Stampin' Up, and she has helped me immensely. She adopted me and so has her upline. I attend their meetings every month. Also, I meet with her every week to learn something new. She was "Heaven Scent"! I will be completely lost without her.

Now she is not even getting any of my commisions and is a darn shame. The woman I signed up under only met once with me after I sent in my agreement. I haven't heard from her since then.

From experience I can tell you that you really do need to choose wisely. There is a lot to learn in this business so you can be a successful demo. Your other friend will understand!

Good luck,

Ana Malick ')
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 05:04 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

I agree with all the advice given here. I have a wonderful upline and if I ever have a question all I have to do is call her. She always seems to have an answer. If she doesn't she will call her upline and ask her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 05:11 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

JMHO - my demo has been orphaned by her upline. The upline quit the company 2 years ago, and now my demo doesn't have anyone.

I think you nned an upline for ideas, motivation, friendship. My dmeo misses having an upline & wants to be 'adopted' by someone new. In the meantime, she's trying to be the best upline that she can be to her recruits.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 05:12 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

JMHO - my demo has been orphaned by her upline. The upline quit the company 2 years ago, and now my demo doesn't have anyone.

I think you nned an upline for ideas, motivation, friendship. My dmeo misses having an upline & wants to be 'adopted' by someone new. In the meantime, she's trying to be the best upline that she can be to her recruits.

Reply With Quote Likes