Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-20-2005, 02:34 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm thinking of becoming an SU Demonstrator....your thoughts

Hi there! I'm new to this board, and fairly new to the stampin up world. I have been stamping since December and LOVE it, its my new "obsession". I am mostly interested in scrapbooking but do enjoy card making as well. Anyways, I am seriously considering becoming a demo as I enjoy it that much and would love to do card swaps and teach others scrapbooking/stamping techniques, make a little money, etc. I was wondering what your experiences were as a demo, if you like it, if you don't like it, what benefits you enjoy most, etc. I have one daughter 10 months, and I stay home with her so I'd like something flexible that I enjoy. We are also in the military so I think this would be perfect as we move around and I do alot with the wives groups and know lots of women.....Could you give me your advice on whether or not to do this? I am also worried about my lack of experience. Although I do have a friend who signed up to be a demo at the first Stampin Up party she went to and now she is so creative and does beautiful cards. Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 02:52 PM   #2  
Total Quack

I have been a demo for almost a year (April 1), and I LOVE it. Now ... to be honest, I don't make a ton of money - I mostly make enough to feed my habit! LOL! I have been stamping for a long time, so it's nice to be a demo and able to share that love. I teach a class each month and love that experience.

That's just my experience and opinion. I know that there are a ton of others - more experience than me, too - out there!

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 02:54 PM   #3  
Glitter Queen

I say go for it. I am just a hobby demo, I make just enough to feed my habit. But it sounds like you are fairly outgoing and you have a great potential for clients so give it a try. If it doesn't work out at least you have the stamps from the starter kit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 04:30 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I say: *GO FOR IT*!!

Okay...what do you have to lose?? *NOTHING*!! So make a pact with yourself that you'll do it for a minimum of 6 months. As you near the end of that time period, re-evaluate whether or not to continue. At the very least, you'll have received and earned several stamp sets, ink pads, papers, and other goods at sharply discounted rates. And you'll learn *tons* more because you want to! And being a military wife will give you an edge: so many of the most successful demos are military wives because the *really* need the companionship of other women, the creative outlet, and the adult contact. And don't worry about having to always cart your stuff places - you can do nights at your house. As long as you *love* what you do and have fun doing it, you'll be succesful.

I've been a demo for 2.5 years. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I *love* the products (though admittedly they're not the only products I use.) And as the mom of 2 small boys, I have really *needed* the adult contact!

Best of luck with your decision! ~ K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 07:22 PM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been a demo for the past two years and it is the best thing (apart from getting saved, married, and having kids) I have ever done for myself! I really enjoy it for all the reasons you cited.

You really have nothing to lose, as Kaylyn says. If you get into it and find you don't like it, you just stop buying and selling to your minimum and you're done. You'll have a lot of tools and supplies that you got for a fantastic price, and business supplies that you would probably find a buyer for. It's really a win/win situation.

But you probably will love it. I love showing people how to scrap and stamp (and the money is nice too!) I make enough now to pay for my habit and a little more on the side. I'm hoping to gradually work my way up to making enough money to pay for some extras around our house.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 08:23 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default becoming an SU Demo

Hello There:

You would "NOT" regret becoming an SU Demo. You are going to be "HAPPY" you did! It would be one of the best decisions ever.

SU rocks and getting the demo kit feels like is "Christmas" all over again.

Good luck,

Ana Maick ')
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 08:43 PM   #7  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

Yes, I'd say go for it. I'm just doing it for my own discount, and it's so easy to make the minimums. You are obviously interested in more than that, but I just think it's nice in case you ever have any down months, it's not a lot of pressure.

My only regret is that I didn't sign up SOONER than I did!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 09:14 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'd do it again I signed up last March and love it. I hadn't planned on doing parties just a hobby but friends keep asking me to do them. I love it!

Can I help you take control of your families healthy care?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 05:44 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You came to the wrong board if you wanted to be talked out of it! :lol:

Seriously, it sounds like you know exactly what you want. Can you have a candid discussion with your demonstrator? This would make you feel so much more secure about making a decision that is best for you and your family. Write down your concerns, get them addressed and then you can make a decision that you will feel really good about.

I have been a demonstrator for nearly 4 years, and I truly love what I do and have a passion for helping others learn about it too. I promised myself that I would always either love what I was doing or why I was doing it, and if that ever changed I would get out. Obviously that hasn't happened. I never imagined that something I started just to get a discount would bring me so much. Friends, fun, and yes, a little money too! (although I like to focus on how much I saved on all my purchases, I know me, I would still have bought it all and spent a lot more!)

I think that if this is the right thing for you, it will just feel more and more right the more you think about it, and you will be excited and not stressed.

Good luck with your decision!

The dreamers of the day are dangerous people,For they dream their dreams with open eyes,And make them come true.- D.H. Lawrence

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 06:03 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

I questioned it to, but I did it and haven't regretted it...that was almost 2 years ago. THere are some slow moments, but I move a lot and it has helped me meet some new people, and I can get my supplies shipped right to my door.

Mindy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 06:22 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Group Leader

My biggest regret was that I bought so much of SUs stuff before signing up as a demo. I could have gotten it all so much cheaper or earned it all for free. SO I say RUN, HURRY, QUICK! Become a demonstrator today! I love it and I have done it over 5 years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 06:36 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default deno or not

you know you want it :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 01:14 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

i've got about a month of experience on you and i signed up in february! :lol:

i signed for the discount--my only intention was to be a hobby demo. my mom and i have spent a lot of money on supplies and don't see an end to it so i know i'll have no problems making my minimum (one of our monthly orders is more than enough for a quarter!)

but, i've been sucked into the business side--people are asking for workshops and classes, i was asked to do a display for a local event and i've not asked for any of it! some people have a slower start than others--so i do think it is important to evaluate what you want and set goals for yourself.

personally, i'm a little overwhelmed by everything i'm being asked to do--but i've never been one to turn down opportunities so i'm just going to ride it out. worst case scenario for me (considering my goals when signing up) is that i'll get what i wanted (a discount) and nothing more.

i know how intimidating that lack of experience is--but there are TONS of resources out there! case, case, case, case, case! and keep in mind that you have advantages in your lack of experience! a lot of people who have expressed some interest in learning are convinced they can't do this--when i tell them i've only been stamping a few months, it gives them confidence! also, most of my friends and family are not stampers--this is all new to them! and i know what it is like to be a beginner without having to think back and try to recall if eyelets (or any element or technique) were overwhelming when i first started! the line between beginner and advanced tends to blur for a lot of people the longer they have been doing something--but i'm in a great position to help new stampers because all those "huh?" moments are very fresh in my mind!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 01:26 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, my suggestion is if you like the product, etc, and have the money for the kit--GO FOR IT! I signed up over 6 years ago and figured if I didn't like it at least the kit was a good deal. Here I am 6 years later, supporting my hobby, buying at a discount, doing a few workshops here & there, and making new friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 01:33 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I just finally signed the paperwork Friday night and am really excited. I have spent months coming up with excuses not to do it and finally decided to go for it! I'm planning on just starting out to support my addiction, but who knows where it might go. After all, I have spent far more than I would even want to think about...and if I'd have signed up a long time a go I would have saved a lot of money! I say GO FOR IT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 02:48 PM   #16  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I say go for it!! I would wait and sign up in April though then you get 6 months to make your first minimum!! I signed up in January and had until June to make my first minimum but did that at my Open House and since have actually supported my habit fairly easily!!! ;) It really depends on if you think you will be able to do it really.... I figured heck the kit is a value in itself so I went for it, and found out it is FUN!!!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 07:59 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am about to celebrate my second anniversary and I have loved every minute!
Good luck.
Roberta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 08:37 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I signed up without ever picking up a stamp. That was 4 years ago - I love the flexibility! I love the tax write off too!
Reply With Quote Likes