Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-23-2011, 05:02 AM   #921  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope everything goes well with your family member situation. I agree about it feeling wasteful. Lately I have had to buy lots of new, smaller clothes and summer shorts and tank tops in my size, along with brand new underwear. I've also bought wire shelf units at Kmart, and completely organized my closets, which were just empty gaps with closed plastic bins. It was always a bother to try to get clean towels, or dig stuff from the bottom of the bins. Now, I am organized all over and the apartment looks amazing. I am so happy to have usable closets now!
I spent several hours yesterday on the cricut imagine, cutting out different elements from the paper lace cartridge. Soon I have to sit down and start a catalogue for the cartridges. I want to cut out some of the shapes that I use the most in different sizes, and glue a set of shapes on a blank printer paper, and jot down the size of the cut under each one. What a chore, though :( doing that will take forever. I know I'm saving lots like that, instead of buying a ton of different nestabilities dies. The storybook cartridge really has LOADS of nestabilities shapes, and I got it for about $25 on an ebay bid. It makes sense, in terms of price. Just, in terms of convenience, it would be awesome to have loads of space (and money!) for getting and storing a trillion punches and dies.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #922  
Glitter Guru

Received 862 Likes on 513 Posts
Smile

I followed someone's example posted here for storing different sized cricut cutouts. I used a hole punch to punch a hole in the cutout, and then put them all on storage rings. I just wrote the size and description directly on the cutouts.
Thank you for the well wishes for our family member. Won't lie; I am a little nervous. She's been in and out of the hospital a lot lately, so I just want her to feel good and be happy while she is staying with us.
While I don't enjoy buying scrapbooking stuff right now, I still look foward to working with all of what I have when things settle down. Maybe we'll develop a routine, and I'll be able to have a little time for sewing and crafting. (I have a lot of sewing that needs done also.)
It does feel good to get closets and areas organized! I'm still working on mine. It would probably help if I stopped shoving stuff into them! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2011, 05:25 AM   #923  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

hoptownracer1,
I wanted to leave a message for you yesterday, but our computer was acting up! So, here I am today! It DOES make you feel good to help others & that nervousness? Don't worry! Your relative is probably just as nervous! Don't forget to take time for yourself! Maybe, you could even get your relation to become interested in doing crafts with you! I'm sure it will help you both pass those long hours that will come! It would give you both an outlet & in the process, I think a bond that you will be blessed by! God bless you as you take on this responsibility!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2011, 04:49 AM   #924  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Happy 4th of July Weekend! Enjoy!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2011, 07:20 AM   #925  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

I started a new thread for everyone to check in at the mid-year point. Share your successes and your spending totals!
Mary Beth
Cold turkey -- Mid Year Review by lutheran at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #926  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So hows everyone going? things have been a little quiet on this thread!

Myself? I brought about $50 (inc a class) about a month ago when my LSS was closing down, although they found a buyer so they are now staying open! YAY! Besides that all my craft stuff is in boxes from our move :( I just cant find the inspiration to unpack but im going NUTS without being able to craft!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #927  
Crimping Master

I did terribly but am improving. Just used the sew easy tool successfully for the first time! It works on really thin stuff only, which is why I hadn't been able to use it before now. But to sew on a scrapbook page on which the main paper was merely a thin piece of pattern paper, it worked ok. Definitely won't pierce through on SU! card stock, much less PTI or anything 110# weight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #928  
Glitter Guru

Smile

Thanks so much for the encouragement and well-wishes for my relative and myself. She is now it acute rehab for physical therapy. She had to go back to the hospital due to a spell she had; they have differing opinions on whether it was a stroke or seizure. All the trips to the hospital left her very weak, so she needed some therapy. Unfortunately, she isn't able to do crafts and such, but we watched t.v. together, and I might could do a tiny bit while we watch t.v.. Not able to get to all my scrapbooking/cardbooking stuff right now. Piled it all on a shelving unit, so I can't really access it, as it is behind stuff. I made room, so she would have a bed and access to the things she needed. But I am going to work on sewing some toy mice for a pet rescue to sell for donations. I can do those at my own pace, and it isn't like the scrapbooking/cardmaking. I don't have to have tons of stuff available or out to work on it. Praying her therapy goes well, so she will be healthier and stronger. She will be staying with us again after her therapy is finished. Just wanted to say "thanks". I haven't thought about buying anything craft related, since things got busier. At least my supplies will keep, and I can always return to using them at a later date.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2011, 06:55 AM   #929  
Glitter Queen

Just read all 24 pages - *phew!*

Thanks so much for the inspiration; I am certainly in the category of don't need it but want to fill up a depressed hole. :( But this thread has helped me to make some firm commitments, even if it means going to therapy or something to just STOP this spending for the sake of spending.

It won't be a cold turkey as I am an SU Demo and teach 2 classes a week, but spending will a) only be for classes, and b) actually be monitored!

Kirri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #930  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just checking in.... I still have my gift card from christmas, have not spent any money on any NEW stuff. using up what I have and I still have tons of stuff! May take me awhile to use it all up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #931  
Hardware Hotshot

I went way over budget before the Copic prices went up, and if that was not bad enough I bought a few new stamps too.

But now I am back on track not spending any money until I even out my craft budget.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #932  
Crimping Master

Well I havent spent anything on crafting longer than I can remember!!! And cant really be bothered stamping at the moment :( I dont like how my cards are turning out so dodgy like.

How has everyone else gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #933  
Crimping Master

I stopped playing with my things for a few weeks and just lately I'm starting again. When I tried to do anything during that time, things would come out horrible!
I took out a huge bag of ribbon from storage and that kind of helped me out of my funk. I hadn't used ribbon successfully before but now I'm quite happy with it!
Apart from some purchases for some Christmas cards which I was asked to make, I haven't misbehaved.
I AM considering an ATG though. The crafter's companion Tombo tape runners, which are what I can get locally, are somehow not working for me. You have to really lay on the stuff. It seems silly because if I were using the scotch double sided tape, that thing is really really strong and I only need very few of it. Too bad it's so expensive! I'm going to do my research and see if there's 3M brand of tape refills for the ATG.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #934  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixxiewacorgiView Post
I AM considering an ATG though. I'm going to do my research and see if there's 3M brand of tape refills for the ATG.
I bought my pink ATG and tape refills from Custom Crops. It's 3M brand refills are cheaper than the AdTech snail ones when you compare cost vs. feet of tape. It is quite a substantial size, but you do get used to it. I keep a glass jar handy to place it in while crafting so it's easy to grab and doesn't get tape on someting it's not supposed to when not in use. Good luck with your decision.

BTW, I've spent $1290.63 so far this year, so not that great, but if I keep my spending down for the rest of the year, I'll be way ahead of my usual $2000/yr. I've been spending the bucks lately because I'm getting ready to start selling them and needed supplies to do that.

Good luck to everyone else on this quest for freedom from too much stuff.

Last edited by dogzruleca; 09-12-2011 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #935  
Glitter Guru

Fell off the wagon lately, so I'm trying to get back on. Family member is in a nursing facility and doing very well, and will go home soon. Had forgotten how much work it was to care for someone. Left me somewhat rundown. Stress, fatigue and sickness are spending triggers for me, so I spent more than I needed lately, but going to do better.
Been watching videos on youtube on how to do different techniques and make your own stuff. They had some neat ones on making your own embossing folders and making your own foam stamps. I've got some fun foam, so I thought about trying to make some foam background stamps with some texture plates I have. Can also cut out shapes with fun foam by hand or cricut to make your own foam stamps. Also, going to try to make my own blending tools and daubers with leftover wooden blocks and cosmetic sponges. I just love youtube; so many helpful videos to learn new things.
Right now getting my room back in order and also the house, and have a busy couple of weeks coming up, but hope to get back into crafting soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #936  
Inking Addict

Except for the Stamp-Away I went to in August, I haven't spent anything on supplies. I see a lot of items I like, but I have enough supplies I haven't even used yet. And at the time, I just Had to Have them. Our income is down and I just have to be wise in what I spend.

Last edited by ButterbeanA; 10-01-2011 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: left out a word
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #937  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've gone a whole month without spending one cent on craft supplies. That's good for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #938  
Pearl-ExPert

I went to the Scrap and Stamping Convention here in Milwaukee today. I spent less than $100 which is really low for me. I just didn't see much that appealed to me. Most of what I spent went to Unity, I really love their stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #939  
Glitter Guru

Haven't done really bad lately; which is good, because we have bills we need to get paid down. In fact, I know I've spent less than $30 the past couple months, and don't intend to spend hardly any at all in the near future. I bought one stamp set from a friend that sells CTMH, and that helps, because I can just buy an occasional stamp or other item from her, and I am completely happy with that.
Hope everyone else is doing alright too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 06:42 AM   #940  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
Well, I found a way to stay out of the craft stores, but I don't recommend it....

In July, I damaged my Achilles Tendon on my right foot, so I'm in a walking boot, and I'm not driving or doing much walking. I am still able to go to work so that's good, (I'm a Special Ed Aide and after that job I'm pretty much done for the day).

So, DH or one of our sons (both over 20) drive me places, so no quick trips to JoAnn's here in town. I also went on leave from teaching at JoAnn's, I'd been doing that for a year and a half (since they opened), and while I love teaching and doing the open house, I just can't stand or walk around that much. I taught scrapbooking, how to use your Cricut & Gypsy, and some Quilting classes. So that keeps me out of the store too.

I'm sad about not working at JoAnn's the staff is wonderful and I miss them, but our check book is happy.

On the bright side, I have made tremendous progress on my big cross stitch piece called "Noah's Sub", I'm down to just 1/8th of the piece to stitch and the back stitching. Since I have to sit, I've been putting in 8 to 10 hours a week stitching while sitting on the couch resting my leg.

Since I'm not buying or prepping for classes I've been stamping like crazy, having this past week off from school, the school district is on "Fall Break" has been super helpful too. I unpacked my supplies, cleaned my space, reorganized my work table so I don't have to get up and down too much. The fabric and pillow form I had bought for classes that I'm not teaching got turned into a simple pillow for our couch, and a table runner. I used designs patterns I liked, not the scripted class pattern. No sense wasting that fabric by letting it sit around in a basket until "whenever". I stamped our Halloween Cards and they will go out in today's mail, I've stamped and water colored the main designs for our Thanksgiving cards, so they're down to cut and assemble.

I'm using my supplies, but I have to tell you I have a lot more stuff to use up, LOL

I'm looking forward to working on Christmas Cards in a week or so and then refilling my stash of blank cards. I have very few left so this will be a good reason to get to my work table and play.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #941  
Hardware Hotshot

I haven't spent hardly anything on stamping either! A spool of ribbon at Walmart occassionaly... but, that is not necessarily used on cards! I figure if I buy ANYTHING here soon, it will be a new paper cutter. The little piece of plastic that holds your paper next to the blade... has come loose & can't be repaired I don't think! That stinks too because the blade will never wear out! :( But, doing good here on NOT SPENDING!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2011, 09:18 AM   #942  
Glitter Guru

Ladybug, Hope you are healing well and feeling better!
Tlady, that bites about your cutter. I hate when things break; especially things that get used alot.
Doing good for now! LOL! Staying off certain sites and not going to stores is helping so much!
Also, finding all the cool coloring page sites on the web has helped, as I'm not as tempted to buy stamps now. It's amazing all the images you can find to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #943  
Hardware Hotshot

hoptownracer1,
MAYBE I'll even revert back to my cheap cutter, just to keep from buying a new one for now. Although, you have to buy little blades every-so-often! :( We'll see! I'm thinking of asking Santa for a new cutter this year! I've been good!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #944  
Crimping Master

Well how are people going with this still holding out??
I managed to not spend anything besides the money for our engagement invites in the past like 6 months. This will probably continue until we have to but the supplies for the wedding invites in the next few months. And probably a bit beyond that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2012, 04:23 AM   #945  
Hardware Hotshot

Well, I hadn't bought anything for a LOOOOONG time! It BECAME time for me! I'm NOT one of those who has HOARDS of goodies to pull from! I got my paper cutter for Christmas & have bought other goodies since! I AM HAPPY that I did put a hold on my spending though! I makes you prioritize, & slow down in ones spending craziness, seeing what's REALLY NEEDED! And it makes you see how CRAZED you've become!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #946  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I have been running hot and cold on purchasing stuff. I can last 6 weeks or so and then I end up in the craft store either after a specific item or a cartridge. I figure that's not "cold turkey" but better than weekly shopping trips.

I had surgery on my heel and Achilles Tendon so I've only been to a craft store once in 6 weeks. I can't drive, so my son drove me, I spent a whole $40

Back to no shopping for 6 weeks or so.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #947  
Rubber Obsessor

Well, I think about it a lot! I quit my monthly kit. The only thing I bought that wasn't an absolute necessity for my granddaughter's project in the last almost 3 weeks was a little bottle of tim holtz crackling paint (I think that's what it calls from). For me, that's much better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2012, 03:26 AM   #948  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default a tool you can make for free!

So I was so excited when I saw the video from CHA of the stamping gear tool from inkadinkado that I made my own version.

Here are some backgrounds I stamped with it:

Best of all it only takes a few minutes to make and my homemade stamp mount is larger so you can stamp a page in one rotation! I think I will try to find a larger plastic lid as well. I hope this is usefull to someone

Last edited by Jeanne S; 08-03-2012 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: SPR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2012, 04:32 AM   #949  
Hardware Hotshot

lindsaymay!
Thank you for showing this! I saw that gadget & thought it was the NEATEST thing to come out of CHA! Thank you!!!!!!! You did a GREAT JOB in coming up with this! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2012, 03:16 AM   #950  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
lindsaymay!
Thank you for showing this! I saw that gadget & thought it was the NEATEST thing to come out of CHA! Thank you!!!!!!! You did a GREAT JOB in coming up with this! Thanks!
youre welcome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2012, 04:23 AM   #951  
Crimping Master

I figured out how to make a pull strip on cards like the PTI die:
I used PTI stamps on this card: Garden Variety and Year of flowers.

It is easy and you can do it with many tools you likely have already

Last edited by Jeanne S; 08-03-2012 at 12:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #953  
Glitter Guru

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsaymayView Post
So I was so excited when I saw the video from CHA of the stamping gear tool from inkadinkado that I made my own version. The inka one will cost $50 and not be available til August (so I heard anyway) but my homemade version is free! I have a video tutorial here: I�m a Crafty MacGyver! � Thefrugalcrafter�s Weblog

Here are some backgrounds I stamped with it:

Best of all it only takes a few minutes to make and my homemade stamp mount is larger so you can stamp a page in one rotation! I think I will try to find a larger plastic lid as well. I hope this is usefull to someone
I absolutely love this! Thank you for sharing your ideas and inventions with us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2012, 03:38 AM   #954  
Crimping Master

Ha Ha, I wanted to use my cutterbee perforating wheel for this but couldn't find the darn thing! I'm sure the seamstress wheel will work f it is sharp enough to cut paper. Or make tiny slits with a knife and ruler
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2012, 04:01 AM   #955  
Hardware Hotshot

lindsaymay!
Working on a card last night, & came across my little "bug" thingy from Score-Pal! That too might work as a perforater in making this little Pull-Strip! (Funny, I never pull that thing out! This would give it a use! ) Keep your ideas coming! LOVE hearing them all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #956  
Rubber Obsessor

I can't stop buying...but I do need to shop more in my craft room! I have SO MUCH stuff. And I want to use it, but then I spot something new and buy that, and don't have time to use it and the cycle continues. I'll still be making purchases, but I would love to just find some extra time to use my own stuff. Does anyone else have this problem? They buy with good intentions and never have enough time to use everything?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #957  
Crimping Master

Maybe you could think about it this way......instead of spending time shopping for things that you don't have time to use, don't shop and use that time to make some cards. Does that make sense? Shopping is definitely a fun activity, but card making can be so much fun as well. Probably why so many love to do it. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #958  
Hardware Hotshot

I agree with gr8cards! Maybe, you have a compulsion to shop? Or a compulsion to have something new? I think it's EASY to do both with us women! If you live in the city, I think it would be more difficult to stop the spending; things are so accessible! Either way, set that time aside to make cards! Maybe, even lay out some of those things you haven't had a chance to use as "bait!" Think ahead like that & I'll bet you find yourself making more cards! Join some challenges....It's AMAZING once you join a challenge how your creative juices flow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #959  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8cardsView Post
Maybe you could think about it this way......instead of spending time shopping for things that you don't have time to use, don't shop and use that time to make some cards. Does that make sense? Shopping is definitely a fun activity, but card making can be so much fun as well. Probably why so many love to do it. Good luck!

So simple, so obvious, and yet... SO PERFECT!!!
This will be my new crafting/shopping philosophy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2012, 03:39 AM   #960  
Crimping Master

Hi Carol,
I also find that reorganizing my craft area makes me creative and douses the urge to shop (because i see all that I have!) I have a hard time throwing anything out and I can only fit so much in my craft area so when I organize it makes me want to use it up before I buy, plus it is more fun to work i a nest and tidy area
Reply With Quote Likes