Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #801  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siberian StamperView Post
Hugs to Bonnie and all of you in WI!!! I have a friend who lives there and she's worried about her son's education...
As for the 'cold turkey', I think having a crafting budget like Joan B. mentioned earlier is a smarter way to go. I'm in the process of reading Dave Ramsey's books and starting his plan as soon as I'm through.
I am aware of Ramsey's budget idea and I find it humorous!! I am old enough to remember when everyone functioned with envelops for everything. We were paid in cash and received a piece of paper telling us how much was deducted for taxes and Social Security. We paid cash for everything. We paid our utility bills with cash at the Grocery or Drug store. Even rent was in cash . And those with a mortgage took cash to the bank to pay it. I still function mostly with cash.

I have sympathy with Bonnie, however teachers and state workers are not the only ones taking pay cuts. My granddaughter ( not a state worker) received a two week notice last year she would be taking a 15% pay cut. My friend's son- in law had less than one month to adjust to a 12% pay cut. My son' union had to agree to 5 years with no pay increases and his medical for him and his wife went from $275 to $390 per month. I am on Social Security and my medical costs me over $4000 a year with Medicare. And I am a very healthy person. Last year I had rotator cuff surgery and it cost me an additional $3200 for what Medicare did not pay. . Just Medicare for one person is $96 per month and then we have to have a supplemental policy. We have not had a COLA for 2 years. A lot of people must cut back to survive . So we need to support everyone who is on a tight budget. We CAN have fun with fewer new things. Having a strict budget is the key.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #802  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Surprising how many other Wisconsinites are in this thread...well, maybe not too much.

I've been following this thread for a long time, but not active in it. I don't have a set budget, and am still spending a lot of money on building my stash, but am definitely thinking more about what I buy. I'm also throwing away Joanns and Michael's coupons (or going to the store, wandering around, and then giving them to someone who looks like they could use them instead). It's hard for me because I feel like I'm still building supplies and trying to learn new techniques, and because I have a Joanns, Michaels, Archiver's, and a local scrapbook store all within 10 minutes of my place...eek!

But I also fall into the "Wisconsin state employee who's concerned about what future income may look like" category, unfortunately, so I'll continue to follow this thread for the support and fun ideas to re-use or shop your stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 05:40 AM   #803  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, we are halfway into April, and I have made 18 cards over the last week that not only came from my stash, but were made from paper that was either:

1. Too pretty to use - I must save it for something special because I can't find it again
2. Too ugly to use and now in the donation bin

Well, the too pretty paper ended up making really pretty cards, and guess what - I still have all sorts of pretty paper that I can use! And the too ugly paper, when paired with additional too ugly paper ended up being quite nice together in the long run - perhaps it's like multiplying two negatives to come out with a positive!

So, I used up more of my paper, and I used up old sticker embellishments (gasp! Stickers!) that I took the stickiness off (rubbed my embossing buddy on the back) and turned into popped up diecuts. And I dragged out my watercolour paper (which has never been used before although I have had it for about 5 years), aquapainter, and stamp pads that haven't seen love in quite a while and painted 6 images. Have to say, after the first couple to test colours on that paper, I might just be hooked on watercolouring!

I also borrowed my friend's Cricut for the past 2 weeks, and am I ever glad I did. I have discovered that I don't really like it - I find the cuts are not as clean, particularly when you cut smaller words. I ended up wasting a ton of paper.

But, I am itching to buy stuff - I keep seeing all those wonderful Spellbinders dies (1 only have 3 sets) and my resolve is wavering..... help me to stay strong!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #804  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the feeling about the circuit! The noise it makes as it cuts annoys the heck outta me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #805  
Pearl-ExPert

Whoohoo Flash&Rusty for using up that paper!! I have found that no matter how much I use or how special it was when I bought it they always make more! Why do we get so afraid to use some of our supplies? Isn't that why we bought them? Sheesh, I am working to get over that. If it just sits then I have wasted my money, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 05:27 PM   #806  
Inking Addict

Wow. Leave for just a little bit, and I have 3 pages to read!

I caved. After a strict no buy, I ran out of adhesive. I considered buying the refills, but after lots of research and price comparison I decided to invest in the pink ATG and 2 refills when it was $20. I only have three glues and use a lot of tape runner (white and TIO&O are the other two). I should not have to worry about it now for a while. I justified my splurge because I often make cards for groups I volunteer with and in celebration of getting a part time job at the post office.

Bonnie, I want to thank you for starting this thread. It has saved me tons and allowed me to discover and multi-purpose things I already have. My heart goes out to you and yours in your situation. I can relate. My fiance was discharged from the military "at the convenience of the government". After 16 years of service he was left very short notice and no benefits. I had been a homemaker and am desperately searching for a job now as the job he found and is qualified for only pays a portion of our bills. We do not live extravagantly and are blessed with a very modest mortgage but those other bills quickly pile up especially with gas prices.

I know that times are hard for many of us, but these are times that the generosity, support and kindness of others shine brightest. I have found the community on CCS to be very comforting and I am grateful (as others have expressed) for the people here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #807  
Glitter Guru

Received 887 Likes on 526 Posts

I've been working on my Easter cards this week, and I sooo love the Easter digis I got free from the internet. Can't tell the designers of the digis how grateful I am! They are so adorable!
Anyway, so glad that I haven't gone too crazy spending lately, as we have an unexpected home repair we have to make. It's not the kind you can put off either (like some of the others on our list); it is a HAVE-TO NOW. The economy really worries me. When the government starts cutting WIC, which is basically taking food out of children's mouths, it saddens me. Was sad to hear about the cutbacks with Head-Start and other programs also. I think I better wise up and start saving for a rainy day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2011, 04:40 AM   #808  
Gabfest Goddess

Well, I spent a bit more in March than I had intended. I've had a bunch of PTI sets on my list, but over the last year every time I try to order at least one of them is out of stock, so I just cancel the rest of the order. I've saved alot of money this way!!!!
So at the end of March I decided to try again - figured PTI's business strategy of not keeping things in stock would mean I would just be window shopping - but to my surprise everything was in stock! So I picked up a bunch of sets that were on my list - on the plus side I will use all of them for classes I teach at my LSS so I hope to recover the cost of those sets soon.
It's mid April and I have not spent a dime!!!
I have been teaching a monthly class at my LSS since November - I've only purchased one large pack of copic paper, chocolate and red paper. All the other materials for these classes I've taken from stuff I've already had. And it really has not made a dent in my paper stash. This really has hit home on how much stuff have. The plus side of this is that the money I get for the classes has gone to reimburse me for supplies I already have on hand - so it goes right into savings. I'm hoping I can get through both April and May with no purchases.

thanks so much for this thread!!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #809  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I caved and bought an SU GRAB BAG

That's what I get for not sticking to my resolution and spending money I don't have to waste on stuff I don't need. Here's a copy of what I posted on the grab bag thread:

There is NO WAY this is worth $60.00:
5 sheets of cardstock
5 sheets of stickers
10 cards
10 envelopes
10 brown brads
10 strips of precut ribbon

Sure, it�s a grab bag so you take a chance on the contents. That�s not the point. I feel like such a fool. Did I get my $15.00 worth? Yes. Did I get $60.00 worth of product � NO! I don�t care how you SU demo�s try to spin it and I�m sure about ten will come running in any minute to try to defend SU. (Don�t want to hear it). I have a feeling for every 1 person who is happy with their bag, there are 25 who are NOT happy.

I think SU should be ashamed of themselves. If I were a first time customer I would never order from them again.

What I basically got were two Simply Card Kits from the 2008 catalog. I looked them up and new they cost about $22.00 each. So I received approximately $44.00 worth of materials. BACK in 2008 that is. So these kits appreciated by ten dollars a piece over the last three years? The stickers don�t even stick. (And I wasted money on postage for this??). Live and learn I guess.

What goes around, comes around. Very bad Karma for SU. Ripping off people who keep her whole family in nice cars, homes, and clothes. How many of your children have we (the customer) put through college?

Shame, shame, shame.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #810  
Gabfest Goddess

not2shabbydesigns - I am so sorry this is what you ended up with for your grab bag. What a rip off! I've purchased grab bags from other companies and have always been disappointed so I don't buy them anymore. I hope you can make good use of what you received.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #811  
Stampin' Fool

A couple of years ago I purchased a grab bag and got stuck with such crap. I never did it again.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #812  
Matboard Maniac

I too fell into the Grab Bag trap. I ordered more than one, thinking that I'd end up with a nice variety of stuff. Not so much. The kits were exactly identical. Was quite disappointed.

So far my dealings with SU have been very good. This is about the only thing I can complain about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2011, 08:00 AM   #813  
Glitter Queen

Default cold turkey too

I'm with you, I was telling a friend that we should get out are stamps that we have never used and create with them. It would take all year and then some to use all the stamps we have never used yet.

Also do you have any ideas on how to arrange your wood stamps on a book shelf that you could see what is what on the shelf without moving them all around.

thank you for listening
christina

QUOTE=plkelley;17727197]I was able to do this with pretty good success in 2010. I a SU! demonstrator so it was kind of difficult, but I only bought one or two stamp sets this year and very few accessories. I did spent about $70 with the color change. My small customer base is making my minimums; I am helping myself to the hostess benefits when it's appropriate.

It really hasn't been that difficult; I am using retired sets in my personal stamping and really enjoying getting those old friends down off the shelf and creating with them. I am also using up retired DSP and some retired In-Colors. It's like having new stuff to me since I have not used it in so long. Keeping this perspective has really helped me to decrease my spending.[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #814  
Crimping Master

My heart goes out to all of you with the wage decreases. I, also, think greed is destroying the place. I've read many articles, saying that this is capitalism, and the people with the means to do so get ahead, but I'm sad that not every single person has the assets or connections to get ahead as the people who are getting ahead are. Sure, if I had a few millions, I could invest in some business venture and sit back and start earning money when the economy recovers. If I had millions, I could spare to do so, and afford to be patient. But I don't, and neither do most people. And nowadays, not even good educations nor honest, hard work nor decency get you ahead.
I'd gotten a cricut imagine and am in love with it. The elegant and elaborate elements I can make have taken my crafting to another level. I was considering selling it forward, but now that I managed to calibrate it, I won't part with it! Apart from that big purchase, I've kept in check. I want to find some coloring medium which gives me decent enough variety. I have old, secondhand prismacolor pencils but they all seem to be rotting. The wood, that is. And the leads break off all the time. I'm considering the distress inks and watercoloring. I love using my aquabrushes to color off of pads. I've made tons of scrapbook pages this month- 8! So, have been using supplies. Also have loads of card requests/comissions. Hopefully if they're impressive enough, word will spread and I'll get bigger orders. I'd love to make baby shower or wedding invites. I've started making felt flowers, and people liked them. They're dahlias. Take about 1 1/2 hour to make each. My mother asked for 4 to give as presents, and she supplied the felt and the brooches for the hair, and is paying $10 each. Also have had a crop night with a friend, and we're planning on another one. she motivates me to work, because I see the things we come up with for her and then feel like making some for myself! That's exactly what got me into making the ton of pages I did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #815  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by christina nortonView Post
Also do you have any ideas on how to arrange your wood stamps on a book shelf that you could see what is what on the shelf without moving them all around.

thank you for listening
christina
Christina, I was able to use a spice shelf on my bookshelf so that it has 3 level plus the bookshelf level so total 4 levels. I love having the different levels so I know what is where. But since this is a going cold turkey from spending thread I don't know how economical that would be. Do you have one hanging around the house? Maybe be on the look out for it at a garage sale or the Goodwill store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #816  
Rubber Obsessor

I certainly have not followed this thread all the way through 21 pages as of today!!, I think to that cutting back has been tough! I know you all have seen gas food and utilities rise, along with insurance taxes and the list goes on. If you are like me my spending budget is shrinking and being used on "Needs" not much money for play left over. I have a nice stash of things as most of us stampers do. What I would like to see is some cards using the newer ideas and some older stampin up stamps.... I love how far the industry has come. I have tons of older stampin up stamps. I am learning not to get caught up in the hype. I hear oh this set is my very favorite until the new cattie comes out. Then that set of stamps is sold or put away never to be a favorite again. Old stamps newer ideas.My brain is small I like seeing a finished product. Thank you all you SCS I love all of you for shareing !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #817  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamelodgeView Post
I certainly have not followed this thread all the way through 21 pages as of today!!, I think to that cutting back has been tough! I know you all have seen gas food and utilities rise, along with insurance taxes and the list goes on. If you are like me my spending budget is shrinking and being used on "Needs" not much money for play left over. I have a nice stash of things as most of us stampers do. What I would like to see is some cards using the newer ideas and some older stampin up stamps.... I love how far the industry has come. I have tons of older stampin up stamps. I am learning not to get caught up in the hype. I hear oh this set is my very favorite until the new cattie comes out. Then that set of stamps is sold or put away never to be a favorite again. Old stamps newer ideas. My brain is small I like seeing a finished product. Thank you all you SCS I love all of you for sharing !!
We are all feeling the pinch of rising prices and no increase in our income!!
Today I went to the grocery store and bought gas for the car. There was no money left to stop at Michael's. I pay cash for most everything.

Last year I was able to get a couple of SU sets at a yard sale.
I searched the gallery for ideas and found a lot of them.

There is an SU gallery and you can search by stamp name. It is great!!
You can also search for other stamps that way
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #818  
Glitter Queen

June, jthanks for the tip about the spice rack. I did make a shelf out of thick posterboard but I could get only not even half the stamps back on the shelf, does that tell you any thing ? So I took it down and arranged them back jon the shelf very neatly and try to not disorganize them as often.

christina

tamper for fun;18212295]Christina, I was able to use a spice shelf on my bookshelf so that it has 3 level plus the bookshelf level so total 4 levels. I love having the different levels so I know what is where. But since this is a going cold turkey from spending thread I don't know how economical that would be. Do you have one hanging around the house? Maybe be on the look out for it at a garage sale or the Goodwill store.[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #819  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by christina nortonView Post
Christina - this may not be what you are looking for, but it could be so I'm putting it out there. If you are sticking with keeping your stamps wood mounted, then the Thicker Stuftainers by Stampendous are great for storing wood block mounted stamps. They are stackable or can be stored upright in the magazine holder, or if you have enough to span a full shelf, then the shelf sides can keep them upright. They are clear, so you can see what is inside without opening the case, allowing you to flip through the entire collection easily. And they are priced very well. ($3.09 at 7KidsCollegeFund.com) Just an idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #820  
Pearl-ExPert

Default STUFTAINERS

Quote:

Originally Posted by afdishView Post
Christina - this may not be what you are looking for, but it could be so I'm putting it out there. If you are sticking with keeping your stamps wood mounted, then the Thicker Stuftainers by Stampendous are great for storing wood block mounted stamps. They are stackable or can be stored upright in the magazine holder, or if you have enough to span a full shelf, then the shelf sides can keep them upright. They are clear, so you can see what is inside without opening the case, allowing you to flip through the entire collection easily. And they are priced very well. ($3.09 at 7KidsCollegeFund.com) Just an idea.
I LOVE these things. I have 20 of them. They hold a lot more than u would think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #821  
Die Cut Diva

I too have decided to limit my purchases. I used to buy something almost every time I left my house. I have so much stash that I don't even remember buying most of it. I am working very hard to use what I have. And I feel so good when I actually finish using up a whole package of something. It feels so cleansing.
2011 pages Jan 5/10; Feb 4/10; Mar 16/10; Apr 31/10; May 29/10; JUN 15/10; YTD 100/120
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2011, 03:09 AM   #822  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

A couple more ideas on wood mounted stamp storage:
to add on to the spice rack idea (the little plastic steps meant to hald spices) why not cut a couple of pieces of wood of different widths to fit the length of your shelf. Put the wider one on the bottom (like maybe a 2x6" and the smaller one on top, like a 2"x4" and push them to the back of the shelf and you will have 3 levels to stack and stagger your stamps for much less cost. Mayne you have scraps of lumber around the house.

Another storage idea I use is that I store some of my wood mounts in clear plastic photo frames-they are called acrylic box frames I think. The depth is perfect for my stamps, I store them one layer rubber side down and stack the frames on a shelf. I label the end of the frame so I just need to pull down the tray I need. No wasted space! I found a ton once for $1 each at a discount store, they are so useful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #823  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'm HookedView Post
I too have decided to limit my purchases. I used to buy something almost every time I left my house. I have so much stash that I don't even remember buying most of it. I am working very hard to use what I have. And I feel so good when I actually finish using up a whole package of something. It feels so cleansing.
Me too! My husband would sigh when I left because he knew I come back with something to shove in my craft room. I LOVE the feeling I get when I use something up. Cleansing is the perfect word for it! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #824  
Matboard Maniac

I'm one of the lucky few who can still go shopping, but since I'm not a really big shopper that's not saying much. However, the one thing I've been doing very conscientiously this year is getting rid of the foolish stuff I've been hording because I THOUGHT I would make something with it. I'm talking about those "perfect" little jewelry boxes that would make such nice collage foundations, or the bracelet that I was going to take apart so I could use the links for something else, or the dozens of used cards that I was absolutely going to cut up and re-purpose. I finally realized that for me, as someone who prefers rubber stamping and scrapbooking, all that STUFF was doing only one thing- tricking me into buying new supplies and tools that I didn't really want. Nice little jewelry box, gonna need some mod podge for this project. Now the 75% full jar sits on the shelf. Lovely bracelet, gonna need some wire for this project. Now the 75% full spool sits on the shelf. See where I'm going with this? All those cards I was going to re-purpose? Had to buy a pile of folders to store them, right? So, I've been purging all the STUFF that I've been saving, the "really cool, gotta save this" stuff that's not really stuff, it's really junk. Sticking to the one or two techniques that I am most happy with, and not playing around any more with anything else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #825  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsaymayView Post
Another storage idea I use is that I store some of my wood mounts in clear plastic photo frames-they are called acrylic box frames I think. The depth is perfect for my stamps, I store them one layer rubber side down and stack the frames on a shelf. I label the end of the frame so I just need to pull down the tray I need. No wasted space! I found a ton once for $1 each at a discount store, they are so useful!
I also am using the acrylic box frames for my wood mount stamps. I took it a bit further by getting a wood box from HL, which they fit into perfectly. Then used small dowels to create rails for the "drawers" to slide in an out on. Took a little fiddly effort... I calculated all the spacing, my DH drilled the holes and placed the dowels in... it came out very nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm going "cold-turkey" on the craft spending! Does anyone want to join me?-img_0023.jpg   I'm going "cold-turkey" on the craft spending! Does anyone want to join me?-img_0024.jpg   I'm going "cold-turkey" on the craft spending! Does anyone want to join me?-img_0025.jpg   I'm going "cold-turkey" on the craft spending! Does anyone want to join me?-img_0026.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #826  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I also am using the acrylic box frames for my wood mount stamps. I took it a bit further by getting a wood box from HL, which they fit into perfectly. Then used small dowels to create rails for the "drawers" to slide in an out on. Took a little fiddly effort... I calculated all the spacing, my DH drilled the holes and placed the dowels in... it came out very nicely.
Looks wonderful!!!

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #827  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siberian StamperView Post
Looks wonderful!!!
Thank you! I was even considering putting more together and selling them, but my HL never seems to have those boxes in stock anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #828  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakhuxelView Post
I'm one of the lucky few who can still go shopping, but since I'm not a really big shopper that's not saying much. However, the one thing I've been doing very conscientiously this year is getting rid of the foolish stuff I've been hording because I THOUGHT I would make something with it. I'm talking about those "perfect" little jewelry boxes that would make such nice collage foundations, or the bracelet that I was going to take apart so I could use the links for something else, or the dozens of used cards that I was absolutely going to cut up and re-purpose. I finally realized that for me, as someone who prefers rubber stamping and scrapbooking, all that STUFF was doing only one thing- tricking me into buying new supplies and tools that I didn't really want. Nice little jewelry box, gonna need some mod podge for this project. Now the 75% full jar sits on the shelf. Lovely bracelet, gonna need some wire for this project. Now the 75% full spool sits on the shelf. See where I'm going with this? All those cards I was going to re-purpose? Had to buy a pile of folders to store them, right? So, I've been purging all the STUFF that I've been saving, the "really cool, gotta save this" stuff that's not really stuff, it's really junk. Sticking to the one or two techniques that I am most happy with, and not playing around any more with anything else.
Wow, this sums up my craft room situation perfectly! I too am working on purging the STUFF that I have been saving (cards, calendars, etc.) to repurpose and concentrating on doing the stamping that I want to do instead! I still buy a *few* new things, but I really put thought into how useful it will be in the long run, as Cakhuxel said, no more leftovers that take up space! I LOVE this thread!!

My little blog: http://lynda-marquez.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2011, 06:48 PM   #829  
Pearl-ExPert

*sigh* I went out tonight with $50 burning a hole in my pocket. I hit both M's and J's, had a few things in my hands at each then put them back. I just don't need anything. Anyone else have that experience?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 04:24 AM   #830  
Stampin' Fool

LOL oh yeah!! Every week.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 05:01 AM   #831  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty1021View Post
*sigh* I went out tonight with $50 burning a hole in my pocket. I hit both M's and J's, had a few things in my hands at each then put them back. I just don't need anything. Anyone else have that experience?
yes, quite often, it is hard to justify buying embellies and stamps when you have nearly the same thing at home already (or you can make cute embellies with waht you have already!) Also I am drawn to the same kids of stamps, Do I need 5 different sewing, coffee, or bird themed sets....nope....plus if you have been crafting for more than a couple of years you know that fads go out and come back, some new stamps look like stuff I got 10 years ago! Good think I never throw stamps out LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 05:06 AM   #832  
Crimping Master

Default How-to make crochet flowers for pennies (beginner video tutorial)

Hi Stampers,
I'm going to post this in acouple of threads here because it is fun, easy and cheap I love crochet flowers (you know, they sell them in the SU catty for big bucks) and they are really easy to make. I made a video to show you how to make them. You do not need to know how to crochet already to make these. Here is the link: Video Tutorial: Easy Crochet Flowers! � Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog

Also I have a list of links to patterns and crochet basics so do not be afraid to try this Here is a card I made with my flowers, stamps are by Stampin Up:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #833  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I have had that experience, and it usually leaves me frustrated that I didn't just stay home and create something instead of shopping!
Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #834  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsaymayView Post
Hi Stampers,
I'm going to post this in acouple of threads here because it is fun, easy and cheap I love crochet flowers (you know, they sell them in the SU catty for big bucks) and they are really easy to make. I made a video to show you how to make them. You do not need to know how to crochet already to make these. Here is the link: Video Tutorial: Easy Crochet Flowers! � Thefrugalcrafter�s Weblog

Also I have a list of links to patterns and crochet basics so do not be afraid to try this Here is a card I made with my flowers, stamps are by Stampin Up:
what a cute card. i love crocheted flowers. they are on clearance at su. so if you like them and can't crochet, you should grab them. it's a really good price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #835  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Been there and done that many of times.

christina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #836  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Thanks for the info, I will check it out

christina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #837  
Pearl-ExPert

Good to know I'm not alone! BTW, thanks for the link for the crochet flowers, they are way cute and don't look too too hard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 02:43 AM   #838  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Good to know I'm not alone! BTW, thanks for the link for the crochet flowers, they are way cute and don't look too too hard.
they are not hard, if I can make them anyone can!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 06:40 AM   #839  
Cardstock Collector

Love it!!! Thank you for the link and the sample!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 07:05 AM   #840  
Cardstock Collector

Red face I Can So-o-o Relate

I have been a card making instructor for 19 years. (I'm sure you know where this is going.) I am comforted to know that I am not the only one with a craft room that could be turned into a store. Mine has actually expanded to fill half the basement. I, too, have been looking around my room, reorganizing and thinking about the fact that I could live on the contents of my room for several lifetimes without buying anything more, except, perhaps, adhesive. Thank you for the idea of "shopping" in my store. My BFF and I have recently talked about doing that very thing. I also appreciated one of the earlier comments about hoarding beautiful paper because it is too pretty to use and should be saved for something special. I have a TON of beautiful paper just waiting... And more is released every month just waiting to tempt me. And we won't talk about all the stamps that have never seen ink.

I would, also, love to see a gallery, thread, or whatever on using older supplies, making embellishments from what you have on hand, reusing, recycling, using scraps - whatever. And any great ideas on where to get rid of stuff you really aren't going to use. (Other than a garage sale.)

Thank you to all those who have taken the time to contribute to this thread. This is the first time I have contributed, but I had to since it is so relevant to what I have been thinking, as well.

I am inspired to really look at what I want to spend money on and ask myself if it is REALLY necessary (and everyone says "duh, no!). I like the diet idea. Thank you all, again!
Reply With Quote Likes