Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #601  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't doubt some companies make money on shipping. Ridiculous prices for it on top of ridiculous prices on the items. If you look around , you can probably get the same thing, with a MUCH less shipping price, from a smaller company.
I am absolutely astounded at how the prices of products stays the same or rises. Is it because companies hope for the few people who can afford to pay for them will bear the cost, instead of them making more products and selling it at a lower price?
Not sure why mass retailers charge more for, say, a cricut cart, which can be had way cheaper with free shipping from ebay? I so agree the cost is so small compared to what they charge for it! I know, yes, profit- but wouldn't they profit more from having more competitive, better prices and thus attracting huge customer bases, instead of some customers, quantity dwindling each day, who can pay the full price they ask for?
The company would rather go bankrupt than lower their profit margin? Greedy much?!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #602  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
Everyone is going through this same dilemma . Everything is going up "except" our income. I get sticker shock when I go to the grocery store.

I thought this may interest you with the sticker shock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #603  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixxiewacorgiView Post
True, allistamps. I was looking through the ton of magazines I bought a few months ago, and they seem to repeat techniques! I think at least 3 of them have instructions on iris folding.
I bet the instructions and a video tutorial are here somewhere, or at least easily found through the internet, AND there's so many beautiful samples in the galleries!
For scrapbooking layouts I LOVE scrapbook.com 's gallery. Try to avoid the shopping part, though, ;)
It is just me or are the techniques they use in mags tend to be things the SCS have demo'ed months (in some cases a year!) before the mag came out!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #604  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siberian StamperView Post
Monthly releases are too overwhelming, I agree, it's impossible to keep up. Shipping is outrageous. Time to become a cold turkey!
I think your right on the money with this, in fact I thought this (and quality) is the reason that SU! are so widely used and respected. The yearly catty allows people to either save or get the things they like over the year and you lucky girls in the US get the AWESOME clearance rack!! (Can not wait for them to do that here! Or maybe I just need to go on a trip to the US ;) )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #605  
Crimping Master

To be honest, SCS seems to be such a thorough, huge resource for techniques and tutorials and everything, all free, that really, that shouldn't be used as an excuse to buy magazines if you're trying to diet. Craft magazines are so expensive, and those $5 or so could be used for the ingredients for a meal or two. It's how I'm looking at it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 02:32 AM   #606  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a friend who has a very lucrative income but has come off the buying stamp binge. I don't know how many sets she has....my guess is about 125 to 150. Not really excessive.

I am a hobby demo now and she bought $100.00 through me of just supplies-no stamps. She has the most beautiful style of cards.

I said something to her that she has inspired me to use what I have..(a little over 100 stamp sets-which about 30 sets were bought second hand here).

She said she realized quite a while ago that the buying of stamps is ENDLESS and made a decision to use her beloved stamps. Just think how many cards could be made with say...20 sets. The possibility is basically endless in even just a few sets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 07:22 AM   #607  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 373 Likes on 202 Posts

I have been stretching my creativity by experimenting with Christmas cards using non-Christmas stamps. I know flower stamps can be made to look Christmasy. Just wanting to see what other "hidden" treasures I have in my stamps! I will post some pics as soon as I get them taken and downloaded.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 09:34 AM   #608  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

To be honest, SCS seems to be such a thorough, huge resource for techniques and tutorials and everything, all free, that really, that shouldn't be used as an excuse to buy magazines if you're trying to diet. Craft magazines are so expensive, and those $5 or so could be used for the ingredients for a meal or two. It's how I'm looking at it.
This is so true. The internet in general, you can find so many things on blogs, craft forums, etc if you just spend the time to look. I've cut out magazine buying completely.

I've decided I also need to go cold-turkey on the stamp, etc purchases. I need to use what I have, and only buy what I need... and give in to the "wants" when I know I'll use it, and I've done really well in using what I already have. I just finished a major craft space reorganization, and it's stuffed to the gills... I promised my husband that I'd lay off ALL non-essential purchases (adhesive, etc) until I put a serious dent in my current projects and my supplies. And this goes not only for stamping... you should see the fabric and yarn I have stashed down there too. :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #609  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsaymayView Post
I fell off the wagon...I had a $5 off a $5+ item at joanns so I wnt in with the intention of getting a silicone flower mold but they did not have any then I starting looking for a non sale item to spend my coupon on, well I cam across stamp sets for $2.97 each and lost control. I had a basket full, wandered around and put most back and left spending $26. I am glad for this thread tho, because without it I would have blindly filled my cart. Thanks for the support and keeping me from spending $100!
hahaha I went to michaels and came out wiht $40 worth of pattern paper lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #610  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlene_CView Post
I have been stretching my creativity by experimenting with Christmas cards using non-Christmas stamps. I know flower stamps can be made to look Christmasy. Just wanting to see what other "hidden" treasures I have in my stamps! I will post some pics as soon as I get them taken and downloaded.
Good for you!!! I have been crafting like crazy this month digging through my stash and discovering all of the forgotten stamps, papers and such... I even signed up for 2 swaps!

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #611  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by creatingisfunView Post
hahaha I went to michaels and came out wiht $40 worth of pattern paper lol
*wince*
Did you really need all that paper? Did you get a good deal? Or did you spend $40 on paper?

I joined this thread in all seriousness to get my spending under control. Don't really have the means to spend like crazy on a hobby. Maybe your situation is different, and I'm happy for you if that's the case, but for myself, I'm reevaluating my life and goals long term. I don't want to have to work after I'm 55, and want to own my own home within the next 20 years, and want to be debt free and STAY that way. I'm developing a firm belief in being a good steward and a conscious spender. Gaining maturity, and preparing for harder times to come.
Seems a bunch of people in this forum are in quite a good position to buy from every release, and spend tons of money every week on their hobby, and buy an buy when there's really no need. I'm trying to gain maturity in regards to my purchasing. Hope this post opens some eyes... I'm not criticizing; I'm honestly wishing for the people who joined this thread to gain some perspective and realization - if you're on this thread, you could use a few eye-openers to consider.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #612  
Die Cut Diva

HI everyone *waves*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #613  
Chat Box Chicks Good Girl

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

just popping in to say hey- it's been a busy few weeks so no real time to pop in- just reminding everyone that this weekend is the main VSN event and you can use a lot of your supplies- check out the link in my signature line for details. Would LOVE to see you all participate!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #614  
Die Cut Diva

I went out today to Target with every intention of stopping by Michaels and my LSS to do some retail therapy. I ended up skipping both. LOL~ There is nothing I need. Not one single thing. So why go and put myself in temptation's way???

I made some St. Patty's Day cards from stamps and tools I had this weekend. I also did a 2 page LO, again with things I had. I even inked some things to make them a match and used Glimmer Mist on some white flowers to make them coordinate. Before, I would have had to run out and buy something "perfect" for this LO. This time, I used what I had and altered it to match. And I like it even BETTER knowing that I was creative enough to make do.

I fall off the wagon often, but every time I don't is like a bonus "win" for me. I love the accountability here.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #615  
Crimping Master

Quote:

wow only $5??? The ones here range from $10-$15!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #616  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am joining this thread as it has been 7 months for me with no spending on any stamps, paper etc... I have been using what I have and I have a ton of stuff. It is very hard for me when I live walking distance to a Michaels! I did get a gift card for christmas and I havnt used it yet. My goal is to use most of what I have which could take years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #617  
Crimping Master

Julie and babydal, attagirls! Julie-Be careful that gift card doesn't expire, but hoard it until you find something you feel like treating yourself with, is my advice.
lisha, what about the UK ones? Wouldn't those be cheaper to buy than american ones? Maybe, if you MUST have craft magazines, a subscription would help you save tons on the price of each magazine. I wouldn't do it, still, even though some of the UK ones always seem to have very awesome monthly free things. Another thing to consider is what is the subscription gift, is it worth the price of the subscription? Do the monthly gifts justify, in your opinion, the cost of the magazine? Most only give out free papers, and magazine page-type quality at that.

scrappintlc *wave*

tamijo- I'll check the event out, but I'm afraid it's going to be way too fast-paced for me! How do the participants have time to chat and create? I'll go look up the details to see how much time is allowed per challenge and other stuff. Trying to not be intimidated, lol.

I'm looking into joining challenges that offer prizes, on top of the Teapot cards for a cause challenges, which I really like. Mothermark makes me giggle. Gives me an opportunity to use up my stuff, and winning a prize wouldn't suck :P
Also, will try to keep track of blog candy offers. Since I have the time, am online everyday anyway, I don't mind posting a comment here or there in order to be eligible to win a prize! And that way I add to my stash without spending anything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #618  
Chat Box Chicks Good Girl

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Julie and babydal, attagirls! Julie-Be careful that gift card doesn't expire, but hoard it until you find something you feel like treating yourself with, is my advice.
lisha, what about the UK ones? Wouldn't those be cheaper to buy than american ones? Maybe, if you MUST have craft magazines, a subscription would help you save tons on the price of each magazine. I wouldn't do it, still, even though some of the UK ones always seem to have very awesome monthly free things. Another thing to consider is what is the subscription gift, is it worth the price of the subscription? Do the monthly gifts justify, in your opinion, the cost of the magazine? Most only give out free papers, and magazine page-type quality at that.

scrappintlc *wave*

tamijo- I'll check the event out, but I'm afraid it's going to be way too fast-paced for me! How do the participants have time to chat and create? I'll go look up the details to see how much time is allowed per challenge and other stuff. Trying to not be intimidated, lol.

I'm looking into joining challenges that offer prizes, on top of the Teapot cards for a cause challenges, which I really like. Mothermark makes me giggle. Gives me an opportunity to use up my stuff, and winning a prize wouldn't suck :P
Also, will try to keep track of blog candy offers. Since I have the time, am online everyday anyway, I don't mind posting a comment here or there in order to be eligible to win a prize! And that way I add to my stash without spending anything!
don't be intimidated- there's 45 minutes but that just actual crafting time. There will be LOTS of challenges- some will take the full 45 minutes- others won't. One suggestion- color images ahead of time that you can pull from if you need to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #619  
Crimping Master

Thank you for the information. I like the fact that chocolate seems to be heavily involved in the VSN creation process. Looked over the shopping list, and I have a few doubts. Not really going to go out of the way and shop just for these challanges, KWIM? Can't justify the expense of glossy cardstock and acrylic spray. Don't own background stamps, either.
I don't suppose the cardstock can be substituted with photo paper? I saw a hint on using hairspray instead of the acrylic, but don't have that either... is it going to be needed for more than one challenge? Is the background stamp absolutely needed or is it going to be for example for creating your own patterned paper, in which case I could use a smaller stamp to stamp over and over again, to form my own stamped background?
I hope the acrylic spray has nothing to do with the candle... knowing me, I'd start a fire, hah!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #620  
Crimping Master

Oh, and forgot to ask, is VSN just for cards or are there going to be other papercraft projects involved? I mean, if for example the challenge is to use a technique, can it be incorporated to a handmade envelope, or treat box, etc, and still be a legitimate entry in the challenge?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #621  
Crimping Master

[QUOTE=pixxiewacorgi;17984896]

[QUOTE]
Sadly that is the UK ones :( even the aust one/s are that price so i tend to stay away all together, most of them just contain stuff from blogs I have subscribed to anyway

I have had a bit of a blow out.... I was on ebay this morning and am bidding on a cricut machine... Well I am going to be going half with a friend and atm Im winning the machine for like $11 lol. So lets hope it doesnt go past the reserve I put in
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #622  
Crimping Master

Watch for the last hour of bidding- the bidding gets INTENSE!
That's when you have to stay glued, to make sure you're not beat by a few cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #623  
Crimping Master

I decided on a limit of $100 plus postage so if i dont get it i dont get it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2011, 12:44 AM   #624  
Crimping Master

Is it the small cricut, or an expression? Did you check to see the shipping price was reasonable? Some people charge dozens of more dollars in shipping than the item merits! I don't understand that, when other sellers offer the same thing with free or very reasonable shipping.
I found out there's a cricut expression version 2 coming out this summer. It reads the imagine cartridges, although obviously it can't print, like the imagine does. But it can read and cut the images in the imagine cartridges. It's touch screen, and there's no keypad overlay. I think it's pretty nifty. It's being sold as a special edition only this year. However, I'm not sure if they'll sell the product later on in a different edition, using the new features? Like with the curretnt expression, which has come out in several different editions (designer colors).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #625  
Crimping Master

Its the limited edition expression and postage is $35 so not too bad. I have a friend going halves with me now so weve put the price up to $150 so $75 each but well see what happens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2011, 01:37 AM   #626  
Crimping Master

Hm... was trying to use my brain just now. A company is selling Twinery twine @ about $3 for 15 yards, whereas the Twinery sells the whole spool of 240 yards for $14... Takes 16 of these 15 yrd thingies x $3 to make up one complete spool when bought from the original producer. Cost? $48 from other company vs $14 from the makers.
In fact, the Twinery even sells the 15 yrd bundles, all 11 colors, in their etsy shop for $20 plus $3.25 to ship to US. The other site sells each 15 yrd bundle for around $3 for a cost of $33 plus whatever they charge for shipping.
Just trying to open a few eyes here in regards to smart shopping and comparing prices and researching. If you must shop for something, look around for best price. Don't give in to impulse buys <-- still fighting hard to conquer those reflexive buys!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2011, 04:07 AM   #627  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Hm... was trying to use my brain just now. A company is selling Twinery twine @ about $3 for 15 yards, whereas the Twinery sells the whole spool of 240 yards for $14... Takes 16 of these 15 yrd thingies x $3 to make up one complete spool when bought from the original producer. Cost? $48 from other company vs $14 from the makers.
In fact, the Twinery even sells the 15 yrd bundles, all 11 colors, in their etsy shop for $20 plus $3.25 to ship to US. The other site sells each 15 yrd bundle for around $3 for a cost of $33 plus whatever they charge for shipping.
Just trying to open a few eyes here in regards to smart shopping and comparing prices and researching. If you must shop for something, look around for best price. Don't give in to impulse buys <-- still fighting hard to conquer those reflexive buys!
Follow The Twinery on FB or Twitter too, and you'll see that there's usually no reason to pay full price - they often have 20% sale codes, and they share them openly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2011, 05:14 AM   #628  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I think one needs to look at the big picture. If I am wanting to purchase some items from this one company (and this company does have some nice products) and also wanting some twine in a certain color (or two) it really makes sense to just order the 15 yards of that twine for $3 (or so).

I don't need yards and yards of one color or 11 colors (15 yards each) of different colors of twine. It would cost me much more to buy such a deal than just order the one color of twine I really want by combining with ordering other products I have been resisting. (I'm still resisting though .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #629  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

This is a great idea! I'll have to try this.

I did see something similar to this in a scrapbook magazine once (can't remember which one). They used a paper with Xmas presents on it and pictures of their little girl who was adopted, and talked about how she was such a wonderful gift.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #630  
Rubber Obsessor

I�m joining sorta. I�m putting myself on a PTI diet. I have way to many unlinked stamp sets. I�ve already set up an automatic monthly deposit of what I typically spend to go into my �PTI/craft room� savings account. When we move into a bigger house and I get my own craft room, I�ll use the money to either buy new stamps and/or outfit my new craft space.

The reason i�m only sorta on the �no craft spending� bandwagon is because I have an every other month club commitment and I may place a pre-order from myself when the new SU catty comes out in July. The stamp sets don�t tempt me but I�m a sucker for punches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #631  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Great idea! I did this unintentionally on some of my cards this past Christmas by using a Hero Arts house stamp to make a little snowy house scene. I love the way it turned out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #632  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamper for funView Post
I think one needs to look at the big picture. If I am wanting to purchase some items from this one company (and this company does have some nice products) and also wanting some twine in a certain color (or two) it really makes sense to just order the 15 yards of that twine for $3 (or so).

I don't need yards and yards of one color or 11 colors (15 yards each) of different colors of twine. It would cost me much more to buy such a deal than just order the one color of twine I really want by combining with ordering other products I have been resisting. (I'm still resisting though .
That makes sense if you're close enough and already placing an order, yes. Because they do have free shipping over a certain amount. But if you want to buy the whole 11 color bundle, you're better off buying from the original producer of these. I'm sure lots of people will want to have all the colors. At one point, I'd have done the same. Just trying to point out that we have to research a bit before buying to see what's going to benefit us the most in terms of saving.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #633  
Die Cut Diva

I agree on the Twine...I'd rather have a little of each color than one huge spool of one color. The different colors could be used for all the holidays as well as matching seasons etc. Better to have the variety I think.

I also agree with the research part. I have prefected where to get the best deal on all kinds of things. hehe I run a swap where there are group buys and generally I am the one who shops cause I can work miracles with the monies collected.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #634  
Insane Embellisher

Sometimes good with a new product to try just one or two, even if everyone raves about it, to figure out if you really need it. I saw a great deal on 24 colors of dew drops, but decided to try just 2 colors. Turns out I really don't use thjem much, as I mail most of my cards, and they often get chewed up or torn off in the mail. Glad I didn't get the "great deal" on all 24 colors.
Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #635  
Pearl-ExPert

Smart shopping is a wonderful idea, Pixxiewacorgi! Thank you for the reminders and the encouragement
I joined the thread about a month ago and the only time I shopped for crafts was with the cash I got for V-Day. Figured it wasn't coming out of my budget, so why not? Other than that, I have been a very good girl using my stash and avoiding online shopping. How's everyone else doing?

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #636  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

That makes sense if you're close enough and already placing an order, yes. Because they do have free shipping over a certain amount. But if you want to buy the whole 11 color bundle, you're better off buying from the original producer of these. I'm sure lots of people will want to have all the colors. At one point, I'd have done the same. Just trying to point out that we have to research a bit before buying to see what's going to benefit us the most in terms of saving.
I understand your point. The point I was trying to make was I think a lot of us have gotten into the over spending and have ended up with a tons of stuff we don't use. Sure I would love to have all the colors and buying "more" would "save" money on a per yard basis but if I only have specific projects in mind using only certain colors it is cheaper for me to just buy what I need. Those other colors I would like to have or think I will use later could end up costing me money I don't need to spend. To each his own....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #637  
Crimping Master

Looked at things again:
-buying from etsy, the 15 yards is $2 plus 1.75 shipping would be 3.75, and add 50 cents for every other item in the order. So 2 different colors would be $6.25. Still a 1.75 or so savings from bigger company if you only want small quantities of only two colors.
-from other company, the shipping for orders up to about 55 dollars is $4.95- so total cost for one 15 yard bundle ($3) would come up to around $8.

I think I'll be ordering a complete spool sometime soon, in the caribbean teal color. Goes perfectly with my apartment's colors, and I have been ITCHING to make my own bedspread for months. I had a bunch of high quality assorted yarns, but all were different colors (impulse buys-weren't bought with specific purpose in mind), so I couldn't do much with them. Gave them to a neighbor who also crochets. Now I've seen this twine, it has a perfect color, and it works out to 7 cents per yard shipped and all. It's 100% cotton, too.
If anyone here would like a few yards to try out, I'd be happy to share ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #638  
Stazon Splitcoast

oh I have a lot of trims on my etsy ;)
I try to put the lowest cost possible ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #639  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmcgraw01View Post
Sometimes good with a new product to try just one or two, even if everyone raves about it, to figure out if you really need it. I saw a great deal on 24 colors of dew drops, but decided to try just 2 colors. Turns out I really don't use them much, as I mail most of my cards, and they often get chewed up or torn off in the mail. Glad I didn't get the "great deal" on all 24 colors.
Leah
I agree! I think we all have favorite color combinations and having any product in all the colors available will result in many going unused. It makes the ones you do use "more expensive" per item than if you had purchased individually just what you will use . I also try one or two of something before I buy more. I bought 2 blue Copic markers when Hobby Lobby allowed them to be sold on their 30% off marker sales and played with them a lot before I bought more . I bought "one" bottle of Stickels and decided I didn't like them so I never bought more. I buy ink pads and ribbon on an as needed basis . I may need to wait to finish a project until I get the needed supplies, but I always start a project in plenty of time to allow for this .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #640  
Stazon Splitcoast

oh stickles, have so many and Dont even use them.
Reply With Quote Likes