Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #401  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamijoView Post
okay ladies- a great way to use your stash is to participate in the mini-vsn and the regular vsn. Mini- vsn is this Friday (2 days from now). There is a shopping list for a few non-standard things but if your stash is like mine you might be able to find lots of the stuff in your stash.... Check out my signature for more info OR feel free to pm me. We start at 6 this Friday and I think there's 5 challenges (and that's EST). If you play make a note over there that you are from the "cold-turkey" thread so I can say hey!
I would love to try this. Never done one of these.

I am a life artist and love it!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #402  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgive my ignorance, but what's a mini and regular vsn? My only experience with VSN is the magazine, Vamp Stamp News, so I know I must be way off base, I'm not getting a connection to this.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #403  
Stampin' Fool

oops, never mind, I went back and read it carefully, clicked on your signature, and now I know!!! I'm enlightened!!!! Thank you.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 AM   #404  
Pearl-ExPert

Default I'm in!!!

Count me in for the craft diet in 2011!!! Money's tighter than ever before and there's simply nothing else I need to buy for my crafting pleasure this year. I will not even splurge on adhesives until I use up 100% of the ones I have.
2010 was the year I sold my old house (with a craft room) and bought a new one (with none), so I had about 2 months of cleaning and organizing to do which was a huge eye- opener to the amount of supplies I've accumulated in my 8 years of stamping/scrapbooking. I gave a lot of things away (my son's school was delighted with the contributions to their art center and the local Salvation Army - with bags of crafty stuff). Pretty soon I'm planning on selling some stamps here, on BST.

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #405  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsaymayView Post
Hey girls, glad to see everone doing so well here! This thread is an inspiration! I got my craft area reorganized and took picks and made a video tour if you care to see it is on my blog: Organizing ideas for crafters {and a tour of my craftroom!} � Thefrugalcrafter�s Weblog
thanks for looking!
You are all so inspiring!
Thank you for sharing this I love organizing and I always look for new ideas, so your tour was very helpful!

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 08:52 AM   #406  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1View Post
That is great about making the catnip pillows for the SPCA. I've made kitty/dog blankies/sleeping pads for some of my friends and others; and toys also. It is fun and uses my extra fabric.
I also have several craft interests including the scrapbooking/stamping/cardmaking. I've run out of room! I was going to get rid of some stuff, and I have sorted and got rid of a little, but I just can't get rid of that much, as I know I'll regret it later. For instance, I have yarn that I used to make some scraves for Big Brother/Big Sisters last year, and I had plenty left over. I thought, "Aw, I'll get rid of it, my scarves sometimes turn out kind of ugly anyways." (I'm not the best crocheter.) But I looked on ebay at some of theirs that were selling, and I thought, "Imperfect scarves must be popular, as they are selling o.k.." So now I'm considering keeping them and using it up to make the scarves. Although, it's not like I don't have enough craft projects to keep me busy for a lifetime. Oh well, might make them anyways to donate. I have trouble with decisions. Can you tell? Anyone else? I hate thinking I'll make a mistake. And one of my friends says it does'nt make sense to get rid of stuff, you just end up buying more to replace it. And I have had several instances where I kept stuff and ended up being glad that I did, as I ended up using it. I guess I could also look at other ways to use the yarn, if I don't make scarves; although, scarves are more practical.
I also wanted to thank you all for encouraging the use of the better paper, images etc... I am trying to do this, and I am more satisfied with the results, plus, it wasn't the end of the world.
I think making scarves is a great idea. If you are using your stuff then keep it. Making things for others is very satisfying. And don't worry about the perfection thing. You are probably the only one that knows about the mistakes. Someone who needs a scarf will be so happy to have one to help stay warm.
I am donating things I won't really use and I need to make some room. If you have time and energy to make articles and donate them, and if this gives you pleasure, that's fantastic. Good for you :!:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #407  
Compulsive Stamper

Thought I was doing OK, only bought cutting blades and Glue Dots the first time I went to ACMoore and this week went in for something (can't even remember what now) ended up with about $50 in the cart. As I stood in a very long line I thought "what am I doing?" and turned around and put the stuff back and walked out. But then I got a UPS delivery and forgot I did an on-line order! Oh well I'll keep trying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #408  
Embossing Fanatic

Great Thread! Such amazing honesty and respect for each person's situation. At the end of 2010, I decided for many reasons, to go "cold turkey" on craft supplies through the end of May. (Don't know why I picked that month...but I know myself well enough to know I couldn't go a whole year). Really, I should be able to put myself on a spending "budget" each month, but that never seems to work for me. I think it might be because some purchases are cash, some debit, and before I honestly realize it, I forget what I spent and exceed my limit. More so, I think I was still buying some things that didn't really fit my style (great deals, etc). I'm amazed how many times I've stopped myself from picking up a $1 item because of my freeze.
One thing that really helped in 2010 was to keep a list of things I "plan" to purchase. I would write down release dates, items, prices and make myself wait at least 2 months to purchase. I was surprised how many items were truly impulse and were easily crossed off my list because I honestly didn't want them anymore.
Secondly, I really have been good at trying to "recreate" something I've seen, or use a similiar stamp set. Those creations have been some of my favorite and proudest!
The biggest reminder comes from the "tempters " themselves...I don't see many last month or last year, or retired, etc marketed today. This is a big sign to me that there will always be a "great" new "hot" item next month, so what's the rush? And does this item have "staying" power in my craft room? KWIM? So by making myself wait, I tend to really purchase what I will really use and enjoy---guilt free! Best of luck to all...I will be checking this thread to see how all are progressing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 05:36 AM   #409  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wish me luck, fellow "turkeys"! (no offense intended, btw) I am going to my all day crop tomorrow, complete with vendors, and I am vowing to stick to my guns and not buy anything! I have all my pages pre-planned with all the background papers and cs picked out ahead of time, so hopefully, I won't be tempted! (The only thing, it is a fundraiser for Breast Cancer Research, so a small part of me wants to spend money to support the cause!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 05:39 AM   #410  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
wish me luck, fellow "turkeys"! (no offense intended, btw) I am going to my all day crop tomorrow, complete with vendors, and I am vowing to stick to my guns and not buy anything! I have all my pages pre-planned with all the background papers and cs picked out ahead of time, so hopefully, I won't be tempted! (The only thing, it is a fundraiser for Breast Cancer Research, so a small part of me wants to spend money to support the cause!)
Good Luck...the temptation will be strong, but you can resist! Maybe you could just make a cash donation and get a receipt and then you can deduct it when you do your taxes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 06:31 AM   #411  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Good luck!!! You can do it!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 06:34 AM   #412  
Pearl-ExPert

I followed the advice to unsubscribe from most blogs and online craft supply stores - it feels liberating!!! I also shopped in my stash for Valentine's Day projects and found everything I needed 4 cards later I still have plenty of supplies to make more!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 07:29 AM   #413  
Kookie Creator

[QUOTEMaybe you could just make a cash donation and get a receipt and then you can deduct it when you do your taxes. [/QUOTE]

Great suggestion - that way I feel good about donating to the cause without breaking my diet! I'll let you know how I did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #414  
Chat Box Chicks Good Girl

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Just a reminder that the miniVSN is going on right now with challenges every hour!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #415  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Quote:

I wish you luck! Come back after your crop and let us know how you did!!

I have been dieting (knew I could not go cold turkey) and went to my favorite LSS today. I have never gotten out of that store for under $100...that is until today when I spent ONLY $25. You know what, it was more than enough to satisfy the shopping crave!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #416  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

Quote:

Good luck! Last time I went to a store crop, my budget was $20 and spent close to $40. Last week I cropped at a CM demo's house and my budget was $50 and spent $62. It's hard to be surrounded by scrappin' stuff! Much easier to resist on-line or in a catalog.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #417  
Cardstock Collector

Its kind of fun reading the remarks on not over spending. Im learning a lot from you
ladies, I have just started this craft and having a ball, so your wisdom is welcome on
not overspending. Im trying to be very resourseful.
Stephanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #418  
Matboard Maniac

I'm proud of myself. I managed to pass up 12x12 albumns for $2 and a few other goodies from a clearance endcap at the Wal-Mart where I work. I didn't even buy any of the candy that was tempting me with it's siren call (another weakeness).
I just got the new CTMH catalogue and there were only a few things I wanted: a workshop kit, some Creative Basics paper, two more stamps, and the Stamp of the Month. I know I could get by without them, but it's not a big want list out of a catalogue that covers an entire six month period and I'm hoping to start making cards to sell, so most of it will probably be used for that. I haven't ordered from them for about three months and I don't expect to be placing another until I need more cardstock, so I'm good with it. The added bonus is that since we haven't had our monthly scrapbook class for two months now and I won a $25 gift certificate, I have all the money except shipping and taxes saved up already. I feel very good about looking in the catalogue and being able to say that's nice but I don't really need it or I will get that, but that's all I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #419  
Rubber Obsessor

Count me in! We just moved into a house last August and it's a totally different spending psychology involved compared to renting, in short, my stamping stuff is way down the bottom of the list, if not invisible for now.

Thanks for the post of frugalcrafter. I'm sure I'll learn a lot from your tips and thanks for the tour as well.

We are lucky to have a bonus family room so finally I will have the stamping space I can call my own. This weekend I am starting my craft stuff reorganization and even if Target and KMart had their storage sale after Christmas, I was able to convince myself that in order for me to reorganize, adding more stuff will defeat the purpose. I think I've been "collecting" for so long......it's time to "create".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #420  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikebanaView Post
Count me in! We just moved into a house last August and it's a totally different spending psychology involved compared to renting, in short, my stamping stuff is way down the bottom of the list, if not invisible for now.

Thanks for the post of frugalcrafter. I'm sure I'll learn a lot from your tips and thanks for the tour as well.

We are lucky to have a bonus family room so finally I will have the stamping space I can call my own. This weekend I am starting my craft stuff reorganization and even if Target and KMart had their storage sale after Christmas, I was able to convince myself that in order for me to reorganize, adding more stuff will defeat the purpose. I think I've been "collecting" for so long......it's time to "create".
I respectfully disagree about not spending to organize. I went through a big reorganization last January and it really helped. I didn't spend anything until late summer...then I went crazy so have to quit that but there is a background story I won't go into.

Anyway, what I did was first purge the stuff I didn't/wouldn't use then find the things I didn't use and forgot about and figured out what storage would work for those. For me it was mini and 12X12 drawers for most of them. I bought 6 units and was able to sort into categories like Flowers, brads, buttons, holiday embellishments etc. Then the absolute best thing I did was LABEL the drawers with the label maker I got for Christmas. That thing is so loved! I use it for greetings on cards and in the kitchen too!

Now I can just look and know where everything is, I don't forget about buttons or twine or whatever. It's labeled in eyesight. All my extra non-spooled ribbon was out of sight in a drawer was put in a plastic basket thing I found at HL for $2. I just threw it in and stuck ends out the holes in color groups. The extra ribbon that didn't fit in my other containers was put on a spring loaded curtain rod in my cabinet. So I can see it and not forget about it. I think that's what we do, spend and forget so if you have things sort of organized and labeled you remember.
My goal this year is NO MORE PATTERNED PAPER. I spend more time looking for 'just the right color'. I'm going to go back to making my own with stamps or other things like I used to. It was a lot easier and cheaper.

One blog I followed the gal said she went through sketches, made up all the backgrounds and when she was stamping she just went through the almost done cards and added images and greetings. I thought that was brilliant, you color the image to the paper and when you don't have much time it would help.

All ideas to use what you have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #421  
Glitter Guru

Received 863 Likes on 514 Posts
Smile

Thanks Sheabella for the encouragement! I am going ahead and making the scarves. Some of the yarn is that fuzzy stuff; some of them turn out looking like a fuzzy boa. I thought young kids would love playing with them. Then I have plenty of the regular yarn to make warmer scarves with.
I also came across some modeling clay,air dry clay and a mold to donate. Wasn't really my thing. I think I need to sort through my stickers too; although, I've tried it before without much luck.
I find that if I give myself time to think about a purchase, and not act too quickly, that I usually change my mind or find something I already have that I like as well, or would work well enough.
This thread is helping! I am taking more time to really think things through, and it's helping me distinguish between "want" and "need".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #422  
Inking Addict

Good for you! It takes a lot of willpower just to stay out of the craft type stores. When I was a 'working lady' I spent money every payday at those wonderful stores and really got a great supply of "stuff". But really didnt have much time to work on my own creations because I was working... Now I am disabled and not able to work outside the home, cant drive either anymore. So I now spend many hours in my craft room and when I NEED something from the craft store,(which is not very often) I send hubby with a list. He gets what is on the list and nothing more.. I have never been able to do that!
So I am wishing you luck. And thanks for sharing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2011, 04:29 AM   #423  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I think you spent money wisely on organization, I think the problem with most is they buy storage before they know what they have, you sorted and purged first, that is the smart diffrence!

[QUOTE=Betty;17851892]I respectfully disagree about not spending to organize. I went through a big reorganization last January and it really helped. I didn't spend anything until late summer...then I went crazy so have to quit that but there is a background story I won't go into.

Anyway, what I did was first purge the stuff I didn't/wouldn't use then find the things I didn't use and forgot about and figured out what storage would work for those. For me it was mini and 12X12 drawers for most of them. I bought 6 units and was able to sort into categories like Flowers, brads, buttons, holiday embellishments etc. Then the absolute best thing I did was LABEL the drawers with the label maker I got for Christmas. That thing is so loved! I use it for greetings on cards and in the kitchen too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2011, 05:09 AM   #424  
Kookie Creator

Hi all - back from my all day crop ---- and I was a very good girl!!
I only spent $10, but that was for raffle tickets, which in essence was a donation for the breast cancer cause, so I don't consider that craft spending. I did look through all the vendors displays, and although I was tempted with new designer paper and a couple of new tools, I kept telling myself that I did not need it, I am sure I have something similar in my stash, and could live without it. I think it really helped that I had already pre-planned all my pages with their background papers to start with.

On a poignant note, the guest of honour so to speak had a very sad tale to tell of her fight with cancer - young mom (25 with a newborn daughter) found a lump - because she was nursing, doctor dismissed it as a blocked milk duct. Long story short, turned out to be stage 4, she had a double mastectomy, hysterectomy, but is now in remission for 3 years to date. So, I consider the $40 (cost of crop plus above $10) to be money very well spent!

Even after the all day crop was done, I came home, unpacked all my stuff, and continued to crop that night, the next day and next evening while watching the Steelers/Jets game. All in all, I am 8 pages away from getting all my 2010 pictures onto pages. Then I figure another month, and I will have all the journalling & embellishing done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #425  
Glitter Guru

Received 863 Likes on 514 Posts

Quote:

Hi all - back from my all day crop ---- and I was a very good girl!!
I only spent $10, but that was for raffle tickets, which in essence was a donation for the breast cancer cause, so I don't consider that craft spending. I did look through all the vendors displays, and although I was tempted with new designer paper and a couple of new tools, I kept telling myself that I did not need it, I am sure I have something similar in my stash, and could live without it. I think it really helped that I had already pre-planned all my pages with their background papers to start with.

On a poignant note, the guest of honour so to speak had a very sad tale to tell of her fight with cancer - young mom (25 with a newborn daughter) found a lump - because she was nursing, doctor dismissed it as a blocked milk duct. Long story short, turned out to be stage 4, she had a double mastectomy, hysterectomy, but is now in remission for 3 years to date. So, I consider the $40 (cost of crop plus above $10) to be money very well spent!

Even after the all day crop was done, I came home, unpacked all my stuff, and continued to crop that night, the next day and next evening while watching the Steelers/Jets game. All in all, I am 8 pages away from getting all my 2010 pictures onto pages. Then I figure another month, and I will have all the journalling & embellishing done.
Sounds like you got a lot done and also donated to a great cause! I'd call that a win/win!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2011, 05:28 AM   #426  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Oh man I didn't last very long on no spending. I had to go to Big 5 to get slippers on sale and it's right next door to the warehouse sale of the online stamp store that is closing. I spent $40.

$10 - Basic Grey cube that has 3 photo albums inside - BD gift for my sister
$10 - 13x13 7 gypsies Photo Tray - for me (I love these!!)
$8 - 40 12x15 resealable clear envelopes - for business/class projects; I only have 2 left and was going to order some next month
$5 - 20 Fabriano note cards and evelopes - for me, I love to watercolor
$1 - versamark cube ink - for classes
$.50 - 1 tiny lock & key- for me
$6 - 2 memory box stamps (happy Easter & Happy Spring) for me; I've been using the same stamps for 5 years time to update
Free - 1 yd of ribbon, sm bag of mosaic tiles, bag of flower eyelets,3 scrapbook page toppers, 4 Hero Arts 2010 supplements

So $9 business expense & $10 Gift leaves me spending $21 for me and everything I bought for me I'll use. I'll only keep the ribbon & tiles freebie; the rest go to the goodwill bin. I'll cut out some pics from the supplements and they go to trash.

All in all I don't feel too bad about spending the $21 on myself as I could have spent a boatload of cash on some really cute stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2011, 05:48 AM   #427  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
I did this in 2010 and found it ridiculously freeing! I LOVE the feeling of using what I have, stretching myself creatively, and just plain not spending money. I can afford to spend money on these hobbies, but it seems foolish and wasteful to do so when I have everything I need and then some - especially when I look at how hard my husband works for his money and how much I take away from my children when I buy things I don't need.

I encourage you in this effort! It truly ends up feeling wonderful!
You made my heart hurt when I read this. I can SO identify with what you said here. I used to buy what I wanted just to rebel against my husband for trying to control me. Now that he's given up the fight, it's not as fun anymore. Ha ha. But seriously, what you said about how hard your husband works and what you take away from your kids really struck a chord with me. I really need to take a good look at myself and realize what really is important in life. I'm so glad this thread was started. I'm loving the pep talks here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #428  
Insane Embellisher

I actually went to the public library and looked up the book "It's all too much" or something, mentioned earlier in the thread. It was checked out, but I will get it eventually. Author was Walsh, I think.
Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2011, 04:39 AM   #429  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default card clutter

I was looking at the boxes of cards in my craftroom that I made over the year and decided to go through them:

I just dropped off a basket of cards to sell a local antique shop, made a big box to doate to the local women's shelter's yearly auction and gathered a huge priority box full of cards to send out for publication. I kept a handful of birthday card but that was it. the best part is as cards get published I can get free stamps from the companies who stamps I used and Scott Publications send the leftover cards to charity too!

Love getting rid of the clutter and for a good cause! Seeing emply baskets makes me want to create more cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2011, 05:16 AM   #430  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsaymayView Post
I was looking at the boxes of cards in my craftroom that I made over the year and decided to go through them:

I just dropped off a basket of cards to sell a local antique shop, made a big box to doate to the local women's shelter's yearly auction and gathered a huge priority box full of cards to send out for publication. I kept a handful of birthday card but that was it. the best part is as cards get published I can get free stamps from the companies who stamps I used and Scott Publications send the leftover cards to charity too!

Love getting rid of the clutter and for a good cause! Seeing emply baskets makes me want to create more cards!
Good for you!!! I never actually made enough cards to fill up a whole basket, I usually make them as need arises. I had a patient yesterday who was in awful pain so I came home and made her a card which I'll drop off today with some yummy goodies.
I've been a very good girl and didn't buy a thing since joining this thread. It's easy at the moment as I have no money, but we'll see how strong my willpower is at tax time

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2011, 05:42 AM   #431  
Embossing Fanatic

Bonnie, I admire you gumption, I have tried to cut back as well, but I am having a rouhg time with it. Do you have any pointers. I buy a kit every month and say that is all I am gonna spend but then a sale hits me and off I go. In dire need of some help HERE! Good luck with your commitment and any help you can throw my way is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #432  
Compulsive Stamper

This is really a very good topic and I feel like I need to comment for my sake. That is, to clarify the topic in my own mind. Materialism and consumerism have contributed to many of the problems in our economy right now. Mainly, overspending and the debt that follows. We need to think about getting our household finances in a good place right now. That means getting out of debt, having an emergency fund, and even paying down or paying off the mortgage. The economic indicators are pretty uncertain right now. I too had a very satisfying feeling shopping from my stash and using up so many things for my gift tags, cards and wrappings over the holidays. My goal this year is to get caught up with scrapbooking. This is why I got into papercrafting and it's past time to get those memories down on paper. I find scrapbooking to be so relaxing and creative. I too have more stuff than I'll ever use but this the year I will enjoy my stash. I can easily afford more stuff but I won't be foolish in my spending, especially with impulse buying. Thanks for this post Bellegirl. I think it helped lots of us gals think about the blessings we may not be aware of or thankful for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #433  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappypineView Post
This is really a very good topic and I feel like I need to comment for my sake. That is, to clarify the topic in my own mind. Materialism and consumerism have contributed to many of the problems in our economy right now. Mainly, overspending and the debt that follows. We need to think about getting our household finances in a good place right now. That means getting out of debt, having an emergency fund, and even paying down or paying off the mortgage. The economic indicators are pretty uncertain right now. I too had a very satisfying feeling shopping from my stash and using up so many things for my gift tags, cards and wrappings over the holidays. My goal this year is to get caught up with scrapbooking. This is why I got into papercrafting and it's past time to get those memories down on paper. I find scrapbooking to be so relaxing and creative. I too have more stuff than I'll ever use but this the year I will enjoy my stash. I can easily afford more stuff but I won't be foolish in my spending, especially with impulse buying. Thanks for this post Bellegirl. I think it helped lots of us gals think about the blessings we may not be aware of or thankful for.

Ditto, if you have read my earlier post, I am in the process of reorganizing my craft stuff and will not spend on anything as far as storage is concerned, and I am on my second week of doing so and I'm able to stick with the goal. I agree with you about using my stash, after a while that you haven't "seen" them, by the time you get them out, it's amazing how I've just put them on the side. I can't wait to go to this scrapbook expo at the end of February so we'll see if I can control myself, I may spend on a good make-n-take but that's about it. I would also like to get started on scrapbooking, it has always taken a backseat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #434  
Glitter Queen

Hi to everyone, this is my first post. I can identify with this thread so much. I had decided this year to work out why i do what i do and low and behold i found this thread. I have been thinking about this thread and thought that it might be helpful for people who don't have this problem to lets us in on their secret. I know that this is a bit deep and meaningful but i know it has to be an underlying problem of some sort.:rolleyes:
Anyway it is a great thread and makes you think first before spending.
Katrina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #435  
Matboard Maniac

I was very moved by Scrappypine's comments. It appears to be a big issue for those of us who do have money, to know when to turn off the faucet. After being the one who always reminded my friends to not make shopping the hobby, I found myself last year pretty much shopping obsessively. I'd given myself permission to experiment with all different styles and techniques- wax, clay, you name it. And by the end of 2010 I had a pile of stuff that was half-used or worse, never going to be used at all. I broke all my own rules! This year I've made up my mind that going forward from here on, I will stick to the few techniques that give me the most enjoyment, and not stray anymore into "fads" or whims that I read about in my mags. I'm lucky to be able to spend what I want (within reason!) but it's not my responsibility to keep the entire craft industry afloat, lol. I spent the whole month of December carefully thinking about who I am, and where my "art" is, and from now on that's what I'm sticking to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2011, 03:39 PM   #436  
Inking Addict

I had a bit of a setback today when I ordered my Scorepal. I NEEDED the scorepal so that was not a problem. The problem arose when they offered a Scorepal Package! If you ordered the package you got a few more items (things i really didnt need) AND if you ordered the "package".. there would be free shipping.. Yes they got me.. I am a softee.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 04:54 AM   #437  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassymom72View Post
Bonnie, I admire you gumption, I have tried to cut back as well, but I am having a rouhg time with it. Do you have any pointers. I buy a kit every month and say that is all I am gonna spend but then a sale hits me and off I go. In dire need of some help HERE! Good luck with your commitment and any help you can throw my way is appreciated.
You have to tell yourself NO IMPULSE BUYS. THINK ABOUT IT and you HAVE TO WANT TO.
I know it's hard to do when there is a sale and free shipping always gets me but if you don't look, your not tempted. I am deleting any COMM emails and staying out of Hobby Lobby (I think I have more craft stuff than them right now)
I am TRYING to not buy any stamps that I have something similar of. So far, so good even though I have a $100 GC from Gina K I haven't bought anything! I'm waiting for something I really have nothing like it. There is one but when I buy I want to have enough for free shipping so I'll wait until next release and see what there is. Do I really NEED any more stamps? NO but I want. I consider it my 'collection'. I used to collect mugs (and my husband would say horses, yes, real ones) but I quit that, I had enough. Some people do spoons or shoes. Perhaps I'm at the I might almost have enough....NAH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 05:08 AM   #438  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakhuxelView Post
I was very moved by Scrappypine's comments. It appears to be a big issue for those of us who do have money, to know when to turn off the faucet. After being the one who always reminded my friends to not make shopping the hobby, I found myself last year pretty much shopping obsessively. I'd given myself permission to experiment with all different styles and techniques- wax, clay, you name it. And by the end of 2010 I had a pile of stuff that was half-used or worse, never going to be used at all. I broke all my own rules! This year I've made up my mind that going forward from here on, I will stick to the few techniques that give me the most enjoyment, and not stray anymore into "fads" or whims that I read about in my mags. I'm lucky to be able to spend what I want (within reason!) but it's not my responsibility to keep the entire craft industry afloat, lol. I spent the whole month of December carefully thinking about who I am, and where my "art" is, and from now on that's what I'm sticking to.
I hear you on that. When I'd see something I liked I'd have to buy the stuff to do it. Like Encaustic Wax, polymer clay etc. I tend to get so caught up in the easier stuff to do I don't use those things, I dabble then forget. So I've quit buying stuff like that and am pretty much I think 'set' with everything....but after 14 years of stamping I should be right?

Now as far as selling your stamps. Be VERY cautious. I sold SU for 5 years then when I quit I decided to sell a bunch. Truthfully it was a bad idea as I wish I had some of those sets back. True some I sold for a lot more than I paid but most were almost given away. If you even sort of like a stamp, hang on to it if you can. you never know if you might need it again and it's much cheaper to keep it than try to buy it back, if you can find it. At least that's my thought on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #439  
Rubber Obsessor

but it's not my responsibility to keep the entire craft industry afloat, lol.

This ran a bell with me. You know I like the gal who sells the CTMH and the SU, so I want to help them out. But you said it best. It's not my responsibility to keep the industry afloat! I struggle with this buying all the time. I go back and forth, back and forth. I think my SIL is getting tired of hearing the same old record from me!! There are better places for my money. I always joked about having to stock up for retirement - but hey if I don't quit spending, I wont' be able to retire. I'd be better off putting more money into my retirement plan than more supplies! I have enough now to last me years and years and years . . . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #440  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassymom72View Post
Hi! Thanks for the kind comments, but believe me,curbing this spending it quite difficult. I am struggling with this whole issue in a big way. It's so very frustrating too, as I have so much, but I still WANT more!!!! IT would be easier, I think, if I didn't love this hobby so very much. Yet, the more I think and ponder, maybe it's the shopping for this hobby I love....All I know for certain is that, it's rough and it's totally a day-to-day problem, and one that I am far from mastering, at least at this point!

On a more positive note, last night at the grocery store I saw a stamping magazine that I thought I just had to have! I looked through it and of course had it in my cart and almost bought it. And it was $6.00!!!! I don't want to tell you how many of these I already have.....they provide some temporary enjoyment and then they are put away in a drawer...yikes...so, I placed the magazine on the shelf and then back in my cart (a second time) and then I finally did place it BACK on the shelf, for good this time!

Well, I guess this was a minor victory of sorts...
Reply With Quote Likes