Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-21-2006, 05:57 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm afraid of my new Prismacolors!

Last week I succumbed to peer pressure and purchased a set of 120 prismas from ebay. I probably should have waited, but . . . .
They just arrived, and it turns out to be the old set, which is ok because I have the discontinued Deco Yellow. But I'm afraid to sharpen them! LOL What if something is really wrong with them and I was an idiot to buy them in the first place? What if I somehow screw them up? What if I should not have bought them in the first place? Aack!
Anybody else do this sort of thing? Do I need serious professional help? (And I don't mean to sharpen the pencils.:-D )
AND, just to make things even more stressful, I'm trying to get pregnant, so I can't use the Gamsol, I don't think. <sigh> Somebody help me! :confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2006, 06:07 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Alright relax...take a deep breath...then remove the lid of your pencils.

The first thing you must do....is lick them. ;) Kidding. Well you have to make them yours somehow, don't you!?!?!?

No...just be careful sharpening them...they are very soft leaded, s don't sharpen to a fine point. I only sharpen the ones that I am using at the time, so most of mine are still unsharpened.

And I don't know about gamsol. I use Grumbacher Pre-Tested Odorless Thinner from Michael's craft store...and I have never smelled ANY odor AT ALL from them...but that doesn't mean they couldn't still be harmful....just be careful and enjoy your new pencils!!!
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2006, 06:08 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Amy! You're not alone.....I bought my prismas almost 2 months ago and have sharpened ONE, yes only ONE. Gamasol sits unopened on the shelf....so it's nice to know, I'm in good company I didn't know that you aren't supposed to use the gamasol if you're trying to conceive...I'll have to remember that (if I ever get around to opening it, that is).

Teri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2006, 06:27 PM   #4  
cre8nart

Hi Amy and Teri,

As Jessica advised, "Relax!"

Have fun with your new pencils...make them your friends...explore the possibilities...and in turn, they will reward you by helping you to create some fabulous artwork for you to share with us all! Now go, have some fun playing with those new toys of yours. I'll be on the lookout to see what you've done with them! ;)

Annie

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2006, 06:50 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I have just bought a "Colored Pencil Blender - Artist Quality" from Michaels. On the back of the package it says that it is formulated to blend wax-based colored pencils i.e. Prismacolors. This may be great for anyone who cannot used the mineral spirits. It may not work quite as well as the Gamsol but it was only about $3.95 so may well be worth a try. I have not used mine yet. Just thought I would share this with you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2006, 07:41 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faereygirl
The first thing you must do....is lick them. ;) Kidding. Well you have to make them yours somehow, don't you!?!?!?

Ohh...you mean we're not supposed to lick them? :mrgreen:

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2006, 07:50 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I bought my 120 set off ebay eons ago and just sharpen colors as I need them. I sharpened four yesterday, and three of them had broken "lead" (the color part, whatever you want to call it) that kept falling out. :( I'm guessing they got banged up a little in transit.... BUT.... I have quite a few that this did NOT happen to, I think it was just an off day.

And as for the Gamsol - I'm 41 weeks pregnant, just got mine, and used it right away... Technically I didn't know about the warning, but I'm not too worried about it being that my stamp space is well ventilated (sometimes overly ventilated with all of my fans running!) and I only did one card with it. I do also have the blender pencils which work great, and a wadded up kleenex works just as well (as the pencil, not as the gamsol!).

Best of luck as you try to conceive!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2006, 08:13 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

If you're worried about using the Gamsol, another "pregnancy friendly" thing to try is baby oil. It does work, you just pour a bit into a cup or bowl or whatever and dip your blending stump. Although I'm not sure how it will stand the test of time if you're using it in a scrapbook, it does work for cards. A little bit of oil will seep through to the other side of the paper though so make sure to use a scrap paper behind it while you are using it!

Carmen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2006, 08:22 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faereygirl
Alright relax...take a deep breath...then remove the lid of your pencils.

The first thing you must do....is lick them. ;) Kidding. Well you have to make them yours somehow, don't you!?!?!?!
I am totally laughing now! This is hilarious! My husband always wants to know why I'm laughing--but it somehow doesn't sound as funny after my explanation. Or maybe it just sounds like I'm crazy??? Probably true.
Keep helping, everyone! I'm actually thinking about sharpening one tomorrow. . . or maybe next week. . . . or hmmmmm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2006, 08:39 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

The last time I looked wood and wax don't age very fast........sharpen away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2006, 09:28 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I HIGHLY recommend the Panasonic electric pencil sharpener with the auto-stop feature. You won't grind your pencil's to a pulp I have also learned to love coloring WITHOUT any type of mineral spirits!!! If you want some tips go to www.lockhartstampcompany.com scroll down to the bottom of the page and read Karen's little "toot" on coloring tulips. By using three complimenting colors and working in a crosshatch format you will get the MOST amazing depth to your colors!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2006, 10:02 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

My Technique Junkie friend, Vicky, took a Prismacolor pencil class from a man in Phoenix. He said that you should get the Electric Panasonic KP -4A because of the way it sharpens pencils. I used hers when she was at my house yesterday and it was really great. I looked inside of it and instead of having a sharp blade like most, it has the spiral blade like the old school sharpeners.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2006, 10:16 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I want to stamp with faerygirl she sounds like FUN! Made me LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2006, 04:02 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Well...I just think that in order to claim something as yours, you have to lick it first!!! That and smell. I got my first SU catty and just inhhhhaaaaalllllllllleeeeeeeddddd...it's like stamping crack. ;)
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2006, 04:31 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a very old (older that the hills and twice as dusty) battery operated pencil sharpener from DYMO. I love it! It has always sharpened my pencils straight, has never broken a lead or jammed.

I trust my prismacolors to it. I do not like sharpening with hand held as they can let you twist your pencils and not sharpen straight.

My little True Pointer and I have a *love affair* with pencils. I think your pencils are as good as the sharpener you place it in! The older the pencil (dryer wood) the better they sharpen. My DH will laugh when he hears me talking to my sharpener!

I kissed my pencils!

Karen

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...

Last edited by kphorse; 06-22-2006 at 01:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2006, 05:01 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to disagree with some ladies here But I always use a hand sharpener for my Prismas, I've tried electric sharpeners and they always eat up too much of the pencil and break the lead way too often for me. I recommend using a hand sharpener and you'll get a good workout on your biceps too!;)

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2006, 05:31 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

No worries my mother got me my beautiful set of 120 for my birthday for 1/2 price and they sat for a couple of months before I used them at all. When I finally decided I had to use them I sharpened them while talking on the phone. That way I can use any color I want. That's what takes me longest when I'm going to color something picking the colors out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2006, 05:36 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You've received some great advice and encouragement, but also remember that if you use up one of your precious pencils, you can always buy one to replace it. I love to use my Prismas to underline text in my Bible because they are soft and don't damage the pages. I also love to just doodle. I wouldn't dare do either with my Prismas if I couldn't replace them one at a time. I use my Prismas more than just about anything else in my studio.

Don't be afraid. You're going to love them...and they'll love you right back! Promise!!!!

So very blessed and so very thankful.
God is good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2006, 11:20 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I want to thank all of you for all your help! I got some great ideas and lots of emotional support. Thanks for not thinking I'm entirely nuts! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes