Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-05-2007, 05:59 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default if you don't get views or comments?

If you don't get views (or perhaps,more importantly) comments, does it bother you? I've seen some tongue-in-cheek hyperlinks to galleries that say "validate me". This really does seem to say it all.

I have to admit, when I get comments/views, it really gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. Who doesn't want a pat on the back in this rush, rush world we live in where we may not know our neighbors, don't have as much time for our friends, etc. and thus end up looking for some sort of validation to say 'yes, I am here, I did something, someone noticed it and liked what I did'. ..... even if it is through cyber-space!

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: imprisoned temporarily in my own house! arrrgh!!&^%$#@

you should make this a poll....
yes it makes me feel better to get comments
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:07 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What a great topic! I was just thinking about this very thing today. And by the way, You are getting a View, right now.

I don't know why some of us seem to need validation, but we seem to. I am new to this forum, and to stamping for that matter, but I have posted on some other related boards.

I took a personality test some years ago and found out that it is very important for me to feel like I am being understood. I tend to overcommunicate sometimes, especially to my family and dh, until I get the response I am looking for. I can't seem to be satisfied sometimes with just a quick yes, or no, but I want to feel like whoever it is really "got" what I said.

I've been married many, many years and my dh teases that I "oversell" things. Sometimes he will stop me, and say, "I said yes."

I try to keep my personality quirks in mind when I am on the internet, and not take things too personally. Maybe someone really did like what I posted, but just didn't have time to respond, etc.

That said, I love this board, and love reading and commenting.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It used to bother me, but now I've just accepted the fact that no one likes my stuff! lol I'm just joking. The things I post in my gallery are what I think are "shareable". I am just happy that it gets viewed. If *that* number stays at zero, then I know I'm in trouble!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:33 PM   #5  
Total Quack

Wow. Denise you've gotten TONS of comments on your cards!! You should feel great about that.

It *is* frustrating to me to put a card out there that gets no comments and few views. I know that when I go to the trouble to view a card, I make a comment if possible. I think like Michelle - no one likes my stuff! LOL! That's ok, though. I like the cards I make, and the people that receive them like them. So .... that's what counts, right???

Of course, validation is nice, too..... LOL!!!

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:36 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

I love to get comments - and it used to bother me that I didn't get many, but I am OK with it now to some extent (i am usually not ok with it when I am having a bad creative day)

�So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:39 PM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

I do love to get comments/views. I make sure I go and check out the gallery and make comments regularly, especially ones that have few views and few comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:39 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Well, I must admit that I stopped adding cards to my gallery because I received so few comments. I feel that my cards have gotten much better lately, thanks to the talent here, but I just make them and mail them off to family and friends that I know love my cards....and say so!

Tamara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:39 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I don't really have anyone else to share my cards with than people here on SCS, so I am a little disappointed when I don't get comments, especially when I get a good number of views. I just signed up as a SU! demo and I feel like I need comments on my work to know that I can do this.

Oh, and I have low self-esteem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:42 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Yes, I understand, also. In this same forum, General Stamping Talk, Carebear started a "comment thread". It says Comment Thread...want to play? Open to the last page and find the last post. Reply to that post saying you are going to the person above you. Go visit their gallery, leave a few comments, then go back for more threads. The person who reads yours will leave comments on your gallery. If it isn't clear, read the directions in the very first post. I've gotten a bunch of wonderful comments, and have seen a ton of fabulous cards. Try it. You'll get hooked

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthar
Yes, I understand, also. In this same forum, General Stamping Talk, Carebear started a "comment thread". It says Comment Thread...want to play? Open to the last page and find the last post. Reply to that post saying you are going to the person above you. Go visit their gallery, leave a few comments, then go back for more threads. The person who reads yours will leave comments on your gallery. If it isn't clear, read the directions in the very first post. I've gotten a bunch of wonderful comments, and have seen a ton of fabulous cards. Try it. You'll get hooked
Oh yeah, it is sooooooooooooo fun!

I feels just as good, to me, to leave a comment for someone else as it does to get one, seriously:-D
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 07:35 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I may have to check out that comment thread. You seem to have a lot more comments than I do. I do always try to leave a comment for someone who leaves one for me. More and more I am trying to leave comments for people with none.
My Stamping Blog
My SU! Demo Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjbmusic
I may have to check out that comment thread. You seem to have a lot more comments than I do. I do always try to leave a comment for someone who leaves one for me. More and more I am trying to leave comments for people with none.
Don't go there!!!!! It's like Hotel California - you can check out but you can never leave. Once I've posted this I'll be checking out your gallery and leaving comments!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 07:42 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Of course, I love getting comments (even though I've just recently started posting in my gallery and don't have many comments), but whenever I start getting down about how many comments I have, I ask myself how many comments have I left today? I've been thinking a lot about it lately and I make the excuse that I have so much going on that I don't have time to post a comment for every card I look at, but then I thought about it and realized that I can't expect everyone to leave a comment on my card when I don't do the same thing. But like I said at the beginning, of course I love getting comments!!

(I just reread this reply and I don't want anyone to think that I'm "dissing" anyone, I am just describing what my train of thought is when I get down about not having many comments.)

Check out my blog... Create Everyday (updated daily sometimes more than once a day)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 08:16 PM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

Okay I have been playing on the LEAVE A COMMENT Thread, and all the validation has gotten my rear into gear. I uploaded three more cards tonight and I actually attempted (and not too badly either for a change) watercoloring of 12 images tonight. Tomorrow I try to put them in a card...lol..

Like anything else in life, when you get recognized, you often want to do more and better....

Arlene
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

I love getting comments, I like to go in and sort the photos by the most comments or views.....it's kinda fun, then I analyize why....is it a gross card or did I post it in the middle of the night when no one was up? It's kinda fun....but then if we want people to leave posts, we need to leave posts....I love that leave a comment thread....I need to check in again....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 08:39 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I certainly appreciate the comments that my scs friends take the time to leave for me...but if I don't get any it doesn't really bother me.

I guess I figure there are hundreds maybe even thousands of uplaods each day...I can't expect everyone to love my card everytime

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 08:39 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I started my scs gallery as kinda of a personal file for myself. I have had my computer crash on me twice and it was nice to not lose any of the pics of my stamping stuff. However here lately there have been a lot of threads (or so it seems) on commenting in the gallery and I have received several comments on my stuff and it does make one feel good. I have also made it a kind of a new years resolution to make more comments on other peoples stuff so I am trying to visit the gallery of the person who posted before me anytime I make a post (that comment thread gave me the idea). I just thought that was an easy way of keeping up with commenting more. So now I am off to Donna's gallery.
Project 365 blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 08:40 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Smile

i had quite a few cards that didn't have any comments (yes kinda depressing!!) but the other day someone actually came into my gallery and made a comment on all the cards and other pics that didn't have any comments! It was so cool opening my email and seeing all the new comments! Now I know I have to "pay it forward"....so tomorrow while I am sitting at my comp (again!!) I will do the same and hopefully make someone else smile!

~~~Look what I've been up to lately~~~ My Gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 08:40 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I love to get comments on my work -- heck, who wouldn't? Am I bothered when I don't get many comments? Not really, which surprises me because I really thought it would bother me.
I design for Starving Artistamps | Technique Junkies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 08:48 PM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

I like comments thats why i play umm addicted to the comment thread come on over everyone! one thing that annois me is when someone posts a card of theres in the forums with a please comment post... I don't know why but I feel like they are a little desprite.... trying to say this nicely
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 09:10 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've always loved comments. Who doesn't? But I've learned that comments are earned. I get a lot more comments on my cards now than I did a year ago. Yes, I play the challenges and they tend to get more comments. Yes, I'm kinda popular and maybe that is a factor. Maybe. But I now get comments on cards with unpopular sets and on cards that are not attached to a challenge. And I have noticed that I have developed a following. People visit my gallery to see what's new rather than just happening upon a card in the gallery. I really think the biggest change is me. I have spent a lot of time studying "Wow" cards in the gallery.... every day. I stamp.... every day. And it has made a huge difference. I still make ugly cards from time to time. When a card doesn't get as many comments as I'd hope, I learn from it and try to make the next one better. I'm still learning and have a lot of room for improvement. That's the attitude that helps me improve.

Why did I respond to this thread? This thread is posted about every month by someone different. There are hundreds of cards uploaded every day. That's a lot of competition for attention. Think of yourself as a TV commercial... what will attract attention? Draw people into your card by neat well planned creations and good photography. You'll love the comments! :-D

BTW... I give about 30-50 comments a day in the gallery to Wow cards and average well executed cards. I love to validate. How many comments do you give? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 09:56 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I appreciate comments, but I'm a lax contributor to the gallery at best (ie. I have a million card pics on my computer that I have not yet shared) so I'm not put out if my cards don't get commented on... I feel like if I'm taking inspiration from the wonderful artists on this site, I really *should* be giving something back, KWIM? I also like that I can see my artistic progression by having a gallery on SCS.

I commented on another thread that I take a lot of inspiration from the gallery, and am often remiss in taking the time to make a comment. This is something I am really trying to work on, something akin to a New Year's Resolution (but I hate calling it that 'cos it tends to beg being broken!)

I do want to thank you all for sharing your work with the rest of us. Please don't get discouraged from a lack of comments - some of us are just lazy (the real definition of my euphemisms:*lax* and *remiss*)

My pitifully neglected gallery

StampingReckLesley (my pitifully neglected blog)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 10:45 PM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

I think the comment thread referenced above is great and try to stop in at least once a day. I also try to look at the cards posted each day and comment on those that catch my eye. Lately I've been way to busy, but in the past I also posted my favorites to the "favorites fo the week" thread, especially if those favorites did not get a lot of views and comments, because I wanted those cards to get a little more attention.

One thing that has been a huge help for me in viewing cards was this link posted by someone here on SCS (sorry -- I don't remember who) in a thread about how she views the cards. I just cut and pasted this link and now when I want to look at cards I go back to this link, because it always lists the latest cards uploaded. If you want to see more all you have to do is change the "0&page=" number from 1 to 2 or 3 or whatever. This gives me a way to look at a lot of cards quickly without being distracted by who made the card or how many views or commetns it may have -- the cards stand on their own. SO here is the link:
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 12:33 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If I don't get views or comments on a particular card I figure it isn't clever, or beautiful enough to stand out amongst a sea of thousands of cards. Or, perhaps I uploaded it during the wrong time of the week, or didn't use a new or popular set. But, mostly I think it reflects the quality of my work. I'm smart enough to see the difference between my work and some of the work that gets tons of comments.

I have no problem with that. I refuse to turn the SCS galleries/who's going to be a dirty girl/who had the best card last week into making me feel like high school all over again, KWIM???? The most important thing to me is that I enjoy the craft, like what I produce, and that I think my work is improving. (Also, I like it when my DH likes my stuff)

My friend found some cards I made when I first got into stamping and showed me them the other day. I was like Judas -- no, not my cards!! LOL They were downright horrible. I'm no longer horrible! Yeah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 12:54 AM   #26  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

I love comments, but no, it's okay that I only get a few comments. My cards are pretty much normal average cards, or when I do something *I* think is wow, it doesn't show up in the scan!! Like shimmery paper or vellum, which I love, just do not scan well. Sometimes the colors look funny too. But I have a couple friends that like to look at my gallery, so I put them there.

I also do understand that hundreds of cards are uploaded every day!!!

I don't always comment on cards I see, but when you run the slideshow, it's a pain to comment. Most often when I'm in the gallery, I have a specific set in mind, and pull up that gallery and do the slideshow.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 01:02 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Slideshow??? What am I missing??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 02:30 AM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to high-jack this thread, but I've never been able to get the 'slide-show' feature to work properly. If I'm trying to view some one's gallery, it will only show some of the cards or revert to the set gallery. Very frustrating!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 04:57 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

I notice that cards posted in daily challenges always get comments.

Andi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 06:26 AM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

When I first started my gallery I was addicted to comments...and would really beat myself up if I didn't get any. I used to have email notices when my cards would get comments. It was so frustrating for me when I didn't get validation. It took a while, but I have come to terms with my own mediocrity ;) and I stamp because I enjoy it and it doesn't bug me TOO much when I get few comments (I also no longer check the box for email notices ~ just too stressful for me )

One of my resolutions is to make more comments in other galleries. I started playing in the comment thread mentioned earlier and it is a great way to see some new galleries. I have seen some absolutely wonderful work that I missed when originally posted. So, if you have a minute, go check out that thread and play along! See you there!!

Q

Don't get your knickers in a knot. Nothing is solved and it just makes you walk funny. ~Kathryn Carpenter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 06:34 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

I will be honest, if I don't get comments, it really bothers me. I am needy I guess. I know it shouldn't, but it does.

I *love* comments!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 06:42 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't really mind if I don't get comments - which is good because I don't always get very many - but I DO enjoy getting them (who wouldn't?!). I only post cards I'm especially happy with and want to share with SCS as I get so much inspiration from this site. (as well as ideas on how to spend my money, but that's a whole other thread!)

If my cards don't inspire anyone, that's okay. If I've posted them, it means I'm already proud of them and I've self-validated me! Any comments received are just a wonderful bonus and they always make my day. I also visit the galleries of anyone who leaves me a comment and I leave them a comment or two.

My gallery link does that tongue-in-cheek validation thing you mentioned in the OP but it's really a (pathetic?) attempt at humour and maybe to draw attention to my gallery a little.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 06:45 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I think we all love comments whether we admit it or not! I don't usually visit the gallery every day, but try to comment when I view. The biggest factor that make me much more likely to view and/or comments on a card is a good scan or photo. It should have good lighting and true (as much as possible) color. I can't stress this enough!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 07:06 AM   #34  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by batgirl
one thing that annois me is when someone posts a card of theres in the forums with a please comment post... I don't know why but I feel like they are a little desprite.... trying to say this nicely
I feel a stronger response to folks who in one post or over several posts link to half of their gallery, in a thread that is asking for your fave or top three uploads to your own gallery (and everyone else is playing by the rules and just linking to one or three or however many).

That said (less nicely than batgirl did ), I appreciate getting comments and I love leaving them too! I am much less hung up on how quickly I get any comments after I upload since my DH and I have been together 'co-crafting'. He thinks I am a stamping, crafting wunderkind and lets me know it; far be it from me to burst his bubble.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 07:11 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

One thing that has been a huge help for me in viewing cards was this link posted by someone here on SCS (sorry -- I don't remember who) in a thread about how she views the cards. I just cut and pasted this link and now when I want to look at cards I go back to this link, because it always lists the latest cards uploaded. If you want to see more all you have to do is change the "0&page=" number from 1 to 2 or 3 or whatever. This gives me a way to look at a lot of cards quickly without being distracted by who made the card or how many views or commetns it may have -- the cards stand on their own. SO here is the link:
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
HTH[/QUOTE]

Yes, hit that link and it is great how the cards are laid out....how is this done? Do you always have to go to this link?

MY GALLERY

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 07:12 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

sorry, the above part of that thread with that great link should be in quotes. I didn't write it. Just the bottom part asking how it is done!

MY GALLERY

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 07:18 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do love to get comments but I don't feel bad when I don't. I have a card with 19 comments which is the highest I have. But my cards aren't the type of cards that are going to get 50+ comments. I'm o.k. with that. I try to leave comments as much as I can and I generally try to leave them on cards that don't have many comments and seem to be overlooked.
I like my cards (most of them) and even post the bad ones for newbies to look at and think they can post a card and it's not too scary if I posted an ugly one.

But you do get a warm fuzzy feeling to get a comment. Really makes my day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 07:22 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidill
One thing that has been a huge help for me in viewing cards was this link posted by someone here on SCS (sorry -- I don't remember who) in a thread about how she views the cards.
If you have IE 7 you can open the card in a new tab by right clicking on it and choosing "Open in a new tab". That way I can still look at the page of cards and also look at the 1 card on another page. I also do that in the forums when I want to look at someone's gallery. Just click on their name, go to visit their gallery, right click on it and choose "open in a new tab". Works perfect. If you don't have IE 7 you can choose to open it in a new window and it also works, but I just love the tabbed browsing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 07:29 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Sure, I like comments. Some people on this site are really warm-hearted and have commented on less than impressive cards I've made, which I think is particularly kind and very encouraging.

I'm not a great stamper. I take missteps all the time with cards and some of those get sent and posted anyway. There are people here who really study their craft and dedicate themselves to improving. They more than deserve the attention they receive.

Please don't be discouraged if you don't have many comments. Cards do get lost in the gallery at times. I know I've stumbled upon more than a few hidden gems in the gallery that had few comments. The number of comments doesn't always reflect on the quality of the card. There are many factors, including time of day uploaded, popularity of the set used, how well known the poster is, how good the scan/pic is, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 07:47 AM   #40  
Glitter Guru

So I just spent hours going through the galleries of the people who have posted to this thread. Saw some amazing and inspiring work. I know I am very new to all of this and my work shows that. And I have no idea how someone would stumble across my work to leave a comment. But I do love it when I do get a comment. (The few that I've gotten). And I am going to be better about leaving comments and visiting more galleries!
Reply With Quote Likes