Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you could have your dream stamp/scrap room...

What would you put in it? What would you like to change about your room? More drawers? More shelves? How would you design an island?
We are builiding a house and I've already met with our cabinet man once- he probably thinks I'm some crazy lady obsessed with paper! Anyway, I'm trying to learn from others and find out what you wish you could do, what you wish you would've done, etc. I don't want the opportunity to make a great room to pass because I didn't do my homework. Please give me any and all suggestions!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would want it to be huge like 20 X 30 with all matching cabinets and tables...everything perfect.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 01:48 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Have a small sink put in for cleaning up and for the occassional spill. I would also make sure that you have undercounter lighting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 03:41 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

I've moved enough to know that you should always keep in mind re-sale. You probably think you will be in this house forever but circumstances can change. What you have permanently installed may be a white elephant to a prospective buyer.

With that in mind, I would suggest a huge walk-closet with lots of shelving. (Any buyer knows that can be converted easily enough to clothes storage, but who exists who wouldn't love more storage space for decorations, etc. anyway.)

Instead of kitchen cabinet stuff, I would suggest a built-in office wall with two work areas suitable for stamping (or computers). You may have seen pictures of these, and the woodwork is very attractive. The lower area should have shallow or deep drawers but no cupboard shelf recesses to have to plow through in the dark looking for something. I have my entire kitchen lower area with drawers and LOVE it. The upper area could be a combination of open and closed shelving. The counter surface needs to look appropriate for an office but be durable for stamping (and hopefully cheaper than granite!). Also: lots of natural light from windows, under-counter halogen lighting, light durable floor like ceramic tile, ample recessed lighting, ceiling fan for comfort. The rest of the room could be portable furniture. Come that re-sale time, the buyer would see that the room would make a great home office/computer room or serve as a bedroom with a beautiful built-in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 04:28 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I'd like all matching cabinets, probably in white, so that I'd have lots of storage space and a lot of counter space to go with it. Someday maybe!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2008, 08:28 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Here are some touches that would 'make my space':

a stereo, a tv with TIVO and dvd player, peg board/slat wall, cool rail system, punch storage--not plastic rolling carts like I have now, bookshelves, a chalkboard or whiteboard, a computer space, Ott lights everywhere, a sink, Decor Element sayings for my walls, an armoire and a killer desk with a big, fat leather executive office chair that massages my back....hee hee.

GL on designing your room and be sure to post pix when it's done!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2008, 09:43 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Talking

Tons and tons of storage using the Best Crafts Organizers. They are having a fantastic sale and I just got the walnut desk and hutch delivered yesterday. I love it!

http://www.bestscrapbookshelf.com

Lana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2008, 10:12 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I would do what the previous poster said with the walk in closet. I had on in my room in my last house and LOVED it. It was great to store those things you don't use very often along with the extra supplies, almost like my very own store. I no longer have one and that is the biggest thing I miss.

I always have a scrapbook station and a stamping station in my room, but when we finally settle down I want a computer area as well. I would like nothing better than to not have to leave my room during my art time.

I will have an island work station in place of my current stamp station which is an old counter that I love but is falling apart from it's age and all the moves it's been through. It will have two heights so I can sit with my feet on the floor to do things like color, but stand when I want to stamp or whatever. My husband will build this for me.

I would put a wall unit along one whole wall with open shelving on top and doors across the bottom. I like to see everything, but there are always a few things that need to be tucked away.

And finally I think I would prefer a not carpeted floor with area rugs. That way I wouldn't have to wrorry about ruining the carpet when something took a tumble, which it will eventually.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2008, 05:58 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just redid a spare bedroom in my home to become my official craft room, and I thought about this for a while! I too agree about resale value of your home, so I scrapped the idea of built-in cabinets, especially with the size of my house (3 bedrooms)...I think you could get away with it in a bigger house (5+ bedrooms).

My most important piece was a crafting desk, and I had one built for me. If you're interested in seeing it, I just uploaded pictures of it to my gallery. It is built in three pieces, so that I can easily move it when we move to a new house.

Nancy

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Reply With Quote Likes