Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #41  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, as much as we all like coupons, when we go into the big box stores and/or the LSS store and only buy one thing so we can use the coupon, it does not bode well for the store. Granted, the big stores can weather more financial ups and downs than the LSS. But an LSS gives a coupon for 40% off, for example, and the store makes 10% on the item. Well, that doesn't pay the rent, the lights, the employees, etc. Your LSS has to pay for the merchandise up front and hope customers come in and buy it so they can have the cash flow to buy more products for us. When you go to your LSS look around and imagine how much money they have tied up in stock. It's very hard right now for the small stores to be in the black and bring us new products. And it's very hard for many of us to come up with money to feed our habit! Bad situation all the way around!!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #42  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was more upset reading that article about Six Flags! I just bought my son a season pass with parking for his Feb. birthday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm kind of going backwards here a bit, but I was thinking about a couple of you who said that the prices at Michaels is not so high when compared to other stores such as Joanns, which we don't have in Canada.

So, anyways, I was over at the Michaels today, and I bought Inkadinkado Doodle Flowers. Now at MY store they're regularly priced at $16.99. Add the 40% discount coupon and they were $10.91ish. So . . . then I went and googled this set to see what everyone is selling them for and guess what? I found pricing that ranged from $7.88 to $9.99. So . . . I then I remembered all the times I shopped at a US Michaels and how much cheaper literally everything was. So . . . us north of the border shoppers are getting hosed big time in comparison. You just don't go in there if you don't have a coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wenchieView Post
I'm kind of going backwards here a bit, but I was thinking about a couple of you who said that the prices at Michaels is not so high when compared to other stores such as Joanns, which we don't have in Canada.

So, anyways, I was over at the Michaels today, and I bought Inkadinkado Doodle Flowers. Now at MY store they're regularly priced at $16.99. Add the 40% discount coupon and they were $10.91ish. So . . . then I went and googled this set to see what everyone is selling them for and guess what? I found pricing that ranged from $7.88 to $9.99. So . . . I then I remembered all the times I shopped at a US Michaels and how much cheaper literally everything was. So . . . us north of the border shoppers are getting hosed big time in comparison. You just don't go in there if you don't have a coupon.
My Michaels has the inkdadinkado sets at 9.99 regularly, so it sounds like a difference in Canadian vs US stores. However, I wouldn't argue that they have some high markups to accomodate all the sales and coupons. I for one have not used a coupon at Michaels or Joanns in quite some time because they consistently put all of their stamping and scrapbooking items on sale for 20 - 30% off during the coupon period, so I can't use it on the items I want.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 04:59 AM   #45  
Stampin' Fool

Yes, the Inkadinkadoo stamp sets are $9.99 at my Michaels as well. Plus now they have Tim Holtz acrylic stamp sets. Those are $14.99. Next time I'm able to purchase something in Michaels, I will be getting all of those. Well, not at the same time because that's just overkill, but I'll spread it out.

I've found the prices in Michaels comparable to HL in our area. I've always found Archivers to be a little higher in price. And the one LSS that opened in our area has now closed down. That's such a shame. There are others in Omaha but if I'm going to go to one of those, I might as well go all the way to Archivers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 06:00 AM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmamichelfView Post
Yes, the Inkadinkadoo stamp sets are $9.99 at my Michaels as well. Plus now they have Tim Holtz acrylic stamp sets. Those are $14.99. Next time I'm able to purchase something in Michaels, I will be getting all of those. Well, not at the same time because that's just overkill, but I'll spread it out.

I've found the prices in Michaels comparable to HL in our area. I've always found Archivers to be a little higher in price. And the one LSS that opened in our area has now closed down. That's such a shame. There are others in Omaha but if I'm going to go to one of those, I might as well go all the way to Archivers.
I haven't seen the Tim Holtz yet, so I'll have to keep a lookout for those! It is too bad Michaels is hurting as they seem to do a better job of keeping a good variety and getting new stuff than the Joann's in our area. We don't have HL, so those are pretty much my choices.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 06:41 AM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Please realize that the article is just speculating about which stores may be in danger of going bankrupt. There was a similar article on Yahoo a couple of weeks ago that listed different businesses including Six Flags (and Krispy Kreme, Claire's, etc.) but that article did not include Michael's. Plus just because a company goes bankrupt does not necessarily mean they will go out of business.

Now that being said I agree with what everyone has said about Michael's customer service. It is terrible. And funny how they can't tell you if they have a product or where something is located in the store but yet if you try to use a 40% off coupon they sure are knowledgable about what products you cannot use those for. Nonetheless I still go in there and buy things from time to time. I would much rather go to Hobby Lobby or Archiver's though. I can't stand my LSS, but that is another post entirely!
Project 365 blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #48  
Hardware Hotshot

I do most of my purchasing online. If I go to a store, I prefer Archivers. Sometimes I go to Michaels and Jo's but not often. My only thought is ..... where else are we going to get a weekly coupon to use towards expensive albums, adhesive and basic grey paper? We gotta keep 'em alive for a while longer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 07:49 AM   #49  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkluttrellView Post
Please realize that the article is just speculating about which stores may be in danger of going bankrupt. There was a similar article on Yahoo a couple of weeks ago that listed different businesses including Six Flags (and Krispy Kreme, Claire's, etc.) but that article did not include Michael's. Plus just because a company goes bankrupt does not necessarily mean they will go out of business.

Now that being said I agree with what everyone has said about Michael's customer service. It is terrible. And funny how they can't tell you if they have a product or where something is located in the store but yet if you try to use a 40% off coupon they sure are knowledgable about what products you cannot use those for. Nonetheless I still go in there and buy things from time to time. I would much rather go to Hobby Lobby or Archiver's though. I can't stand my LSS, but that is another post entirely!
Not all Michaels' stores have terrible service. I love my Michaels. I haven't been to the one across town though. Maybe I should take a trip over there and see if they are revamped or if they have different service from the one near my home.

I read that article you are talking about in your first paragraph. Some of the stores on there...well it's just sad to see that happen. Our local Krispy Kreme shut down and they are going to one shop across town. However they are looking at building fresh one-stop shops instead. Shoot half the fun of going to the Krispy Kreme was to watch the donuts being made. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 08:27 AM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkluttrellView Post
You also have to remember that there are two kinds of bankruptcy. One version only requires restructuring of assets. Shane Company just did that and didn't close a single store.
Reply With Quote Likes