Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-17-2022, 05:54 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I think its time

I am at a point in my life that I have decided that stamping/card making is no longer a hobby/passion or what ever you want to call it. I have all these supplies that are taking up space and I no longer use them. I really do not know where to begin to get rid of my Stampin up Collection. I own about 50 SU stamp sets (a lot with coordinating dies) and about 10 or so other company stamps. I have ink pads from the last 4-5 years only along with some coordinating cardstock. Not to mention the other extra dies ( circles, squares, rectangles etc.) I have tried selling some individually, but with no luck. I am considering selling flat rate priority boxes stuffed. Has anyone ever had any luck with that? Everything I own is a retired item.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by mmc123mac:
gv-copperdog (08-31-2022), Springpatchlady (08-25-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 06:02 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,868 Posts

Where have you tried selling? The Buy/Sell/Trade Forum here is a good place to sell. If you are just wanting to get rid of them and the price is low, they will sell fast. I have seen SU Demonstrators sell with the box method. You can always give it a try. I know I have purchased a box several years ago on that forum as it as filled with a brand I was interested in. Many people like retired items.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2022, 06:20 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaperView Post
Where have you tried selling? The Buy/Sell/Trade Forum here is a good place to sell. If you are just wanting to get rid of them and the price is low, they will sell fast. I have seen SU Demonstrators sell with the box method. You can always give it a try. I know I have purchased a box several years ago on that forum as it as filled with a brand I was interested in. Many people like retired items.
Thanks, I have not tried to sell a stuffed box here, but that is probably going to be my route. I just need to figure out what kind of mix of items and pricing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2022, 03:35 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I lost interest in card making too. I packed up a lot and stored in garage. I felt pressure to keep making cards, but wasn't enjoying the hobby. I started playing with mixed media and working in an art journal. Then my desire to make cards slowly returned. I have made a few cards last month.
Good luck is selling.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
janesprando (08-24-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 03:48 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

As a side note to this post, several friends and I have lost our stamping and creative "mojo" over the last two years. Mine is slowly returning, some have gotten back to their former productivity, and others are just quitting stamping or other creative outlets altogether. It seems that two years of minimized interaction with others has led to a lot of folks rethinking their priorities. I'll be interested in seeing how this and other hobbies fare over time.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by Alice in Md:
ChrisO (08-18-2022), Hunterri (08-23-2022), Teachybaby (08-24-2022), VeronaSue (08-17-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 03:02 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

The best way to get rid of lots of stuff is a garage sale. You won't get as much money but you will not have to ship, which is a bother and expensive. Community garage sales are the best, higher traffic and more advertising. If you live by any independent craft/scrapbook stores, look out for customer garage sale events, they have really caught on the past few years.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by lutheran:
ChrisO (08-18-2022), pepperann (08-18-2022), Teachybaby (08-24-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 07:28 AM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 494 Likes on 273 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
The best way to get rid of lots of stuff is a garage sale. You won't get as much money but you will not have to ship, which is a bother and expensive. Community garage sales are the best, higher traffic and more advertising. If you live by any independent craft/scrapbook stores, look out for customer garage sale events, they have really caught on the past few years.
Mary Beth
Our local scrapbook store has an annual garage sale, BUT you don't get money for your stuff, only store credit (minus both a $15 fee and 15% of your sales). Not a great route if you are getting out of stamping. I've never put stuff in there because I find their prices too high and I don't want to have to spend what I get only in their store. I've considered renting a space at a flea market sometime to sell my excess, and while I agree that a garage sale is a good way to get rid of a lot of stuff, realize that you won't get much for it (garage sale shoppers are notoriously CHEAP!)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2022, 09:22 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I lost my mojo for a few years but now am getting back to stamping. That said, I have bought used stamps here on the BST forum and also on Mercari. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2022, 09:38 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

We have a stamp store in NC who is having their annual used stamp sale. Too bad you didn't live closer you could put everything in that. It costs $25 for a table and you keep ALL the money you make from it. I think its in October sometime.

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2022, 09:42 AM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 494 Likes on 273 Posts

Forgot to say, our local scrapbook store also decided not to allow wood mounted stamps in their garage sale anymore because "nobody wants those". REALLY??? Then why did many many many sets sell every year?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2022, 11:18 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts
Post My two cents...

I would use the boxing and selling idea if I could ever part with anything! AND I love and still use wooden stamps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2022, 12:55 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1,165 Likes on 498 Posts

I Love to see you stuffed too. thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2022, 04:20 PM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks Everyone for your input. I am going to post a small list to begin with and see where it goes from here. I don't have a local independent scrapbooking store near me any longer, just the box stores. So I wouldn't be able to work out a deal with them for sure. I will make a separate post with the stuff I have ready to sell.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2022, 05:02 PM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

I have sold twice now on the buy/sell board here and it was good. I offered great prices and deal on spending over a certain amount....and I have made some online friends from it. Whatever did not sell I either gave away to friend or donated to the thrift store.

Maybe if you decide what you would like to do with the money it will give you a goal and the bother of shipping wont be as bad. I use the online shipping program stamp.com which I think was free the first month? And then I pay a low fee per month now to maintain....I put money into the account and I can print my own labels so I just have to drop it at the PO and walk away. Plus you get a little discount so if you ship enough, it pays for itself and I can charge people here less. For me, not standing a long line makes it worth it.

If going to the PO is a trek, maybe just say you will only be mailing 1-2 days a week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2022, 08:41 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I have sold twice now on the buy/sell board here and it was good. I offered great prices and deal on spending over a certain amount....and I have made some online friends from it. Whatever did not sell I either gave away to friend or donated to the thrift store.

Maybe if you decide what you would like to do with the money it will give you a goal and the bother of shipping wont be as bad. I use the online shipping program stamp.com which I think was free the first month? And then I pay a low fee per month now to maintain....I put money into the account and I can print my own labels so I just have to drop it at the PO and walk away. Plus you get a little discount so if you ship enough, it pays for itself and I can charge people here less. For me, not standing a long line makes it worth it.

If going to the PO is a trek, maybe just say you will only be mailing 1-2 days a week.

Thanks Margot! I live in a small town, so the PO is fairly close.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
wavejumper (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 04:27 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

I see you listed! Good luck!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2022, 02:36 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Marilyn, I see you are in TN, me too. I am in the Knoxville area and know a lady just getting into stamping. If you are close by maybe we could meet up and I might be able to buy a few things for her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2022, 06:07 AM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jah636View Post
Marilyn, I see you are in TN, me too. I am in the Knoxville area and know a lady just getting into stamping. If you are close by maybe we could meet up and I might be able to buy a few things for her.

Judi

Sorry, but I am in the Memphis area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2022, 01:05 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've gotten rid of stamps several ways.

1. sold priority mail boxes through my Instagram account. I fill them with stuff and the price includes shipping. Sometimes I keep the $$; but sometimes it is for charity.
2. inside my home garage type sale. this was when I was active on boards and knew a lot of people locally. not anymore.
3. gifted to folks who live near me. One woman got 2 huge tubs of product. Another, more recently, got 4 bags.

I love love love downsizing my collection. It is such a good feeling! Good luck

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Joan B:
ChrisO (08-20-2022), mmc123mac (08-22-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 06:48 AM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My productivity has slows down as well, as others have said I seem to have other interests. Facebook has quite a few Stampin Up BST groups and the buyer pays for postage. I have sold quite a bit on them and got a fair price.
Good luck.

Last edited by JanBil; 08-24-2022 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: Addition
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2022, 01:33 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have given some of my supplies to friends who are teachers. There is also a non-profit craft store in my area that I donate items “I’ve grown out of” - that term makes me feel less guilty about it. I’ve also thought about trying to sell some stuffed boxes. I think my interest in making cards is coming back as I downsize my stash. Planning to keep only things I would still buy instead of feeling like I must use up the old stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by sophmad:
Arlene_C (08-24-2022), pepperann (08-28-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 04:52 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face Losing Mojo?

I too have lost some desire to work on cards because you need to feel JOY TO FEEL CREATIVE. The past couple of years all media seems to be negative. It wears one down after a while. What I have done for myself, is make special cards if my friend has a birthday, or someone passes away (no, scratch that, it's too depressing) Make cute cards for folks who are alone or ill and need something joyful and uplifting. Make a card and stick a joke in it, or a funny photo that makes you laugh.
I know this isn't for everyone, but, what I think helps me to get the creative juices going again is to write short stories about the funny things that happen or about your pets and the love you feel for them or the funny things they do. The other day, peanut butter from my spoon dropped on my walker tires and I didn't notice because I was too busy eating P/B off a soup spoon, until I turned around and saw the trail of P/B on all my floors, walker tires. I wasn't laughing having to clean it up. So I wrote about it and sent it to friends. I got some laughs back, and some poor me's back too. Actually it made me smile that others have done the same dumb things I do. My sister said "Why didn't you sit at the table?" Why, I was enjoying eating the P/B. With my luck I would have to wash the table cloth off the chair. Well folks that's all for now. Have a good life and create whatever makes you feel good.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by saberlove:
Alice in Md (08-24-2022), Chinocookie (08-26-2022), Chris4436 (08-29-2022), grateful2bsaved (09-04-2022), wavejumper (08-29-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 05:30 PM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Donating to school, church or scout troop

Hello. Have you ever considered donating supplies to a school, church or scouting troop? I’m a part of a card ministry at my church and we happily accept supplies, and they are tax deductible. You could also donate them to a school or scout troop and write that off on your taxes, too. These groups are always happy to receive donations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2022, 12:36 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1,165 Likes on 498 Posts

I hope you posted more. I still look more things How every with listed you post now enough grabs me! Thanks Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2022, 01:07 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Try Facebook marketplace.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2022, 08:43 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

mmc123mac- When you are done then you are done, Don’t feel guilty. Enjoy the money you made from the sales for a new hobby. If you miss stamping you can buy new things for the artist you are in the future.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by lylacfey:
Arlene_C (08-26-2022), Chinocookie (08-26-2022), ChrisO (08-26-2022), pepperann (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 06:54 AM   #27  
Inking Addict

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile Finding a new home.

I am giving card making supplies to my husband. He then takes the bags to an Alano place. It is a group meeting place for recovering from addiction. Many do not have the funds to purchase any craft items. I no longer use the sewing machine due to arthritis. A woman was so pleased to get mine. I have been downsizing. The clutter was depressing. I feel much better with an organized room now.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by dickiebutts:
Arlene_C (08-28-2022), ChrisO (08-28-2022), Paula in GA (08-29-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 12:09 PM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmc123macView Post
Thanks Everyone for your input. I am going to post a small list to begin with and see where it goes from here. I don't have a local independent scrapbooking store near me any longer, just the box stores. So I wouldn't be able to work out a deal with them for sure. I will make a separate post with the stuff I have ready to sell.

Thanks
I looked it over on Sat-I am not a demo so I am not super familiar with SU stamps/product by name....so I need time to check here in our SU gallery to see the sets. None from this batch but I will definitely at your next one! I see some sold! Yay!

I know some friends give them to their church groups-a number of churches have card making groups. Schools/youth centers might be a choice too.
Or you can just donate them and get a little tax break.
Reply With Quote Likes