Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-17-2008, 03:41 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I said I would have an SU party! Now what?

I've never had a party or even been to one. Any suggestions? What day should it be? Week night or week end? The only thing I've ever done like this was a Longaberger party. They give you postcards to send out. Does SU do that?

I know I obsess over the catalog before I order - how do people do it quick at party? Any advice or ideas would really be appreciated!! I want to do it before the SAB ends!

Jutta
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 04:07 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I think a lot depends on your demo. If she uses a set that has a lot of potential uses, people will be interested in buying that to start. At least that's how it usually works for me. I find that once I have used a set and the results are cute, I want that set for my own. And I think if you have a lot of first time stampers, they will probably want to start with a set that has a lot of different possible uses. The first class I attended used A Greeting for All Reasons and I had to have it!
Relax and enjoy your time with your friends, your demo will take care of the rest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 04:30 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by juttaView Post
I've never had a party or even been to one. Any suggestions? What day should it be? Week night or week end? The only thing I've ever done like this was a Longaberger party. They give you postcards to send out. Does SU do that?

I know I obsess over the catalog before I order - how do people do it quick at party? Any advice or ideas would really be appreciated!! I want to do it before the SAB ends!

Jutta
Hi Jutta! I am a demo but was once a customer, so I understand! Yes, your demo will give you cards to send out if you ask her. Many hostesses do not want to send the cards because of the expense, so your demo may not think to give you some unless you ask.

Secondly, ask her which nights or times she has found to be the best in your area.

Your demo is there to help you have a successful party and she wants to work with you, so give her a call. She will appreciate your interest and the fact that you want yours to be a success! I have had customers who do not make any effort, and their events do not turn out well, so I know your demo will be happy to help you!

Lastly, pass your catalog around to your friends ahead of time if you can. But don't worry too much, because your attendees will do just fine if it is their first time to see the catalog. I have customers place first orders all the time at the night of the event. Some may wish to buy a catalog at the event and go home with it and place their orders the next day. Not everyone obsesses like me and you, and many just buy what the see and use at the event.

Above all, relax and have fun! You will love it. Your demo is lucky to have you!

Mary A.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 04:36 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I would definitely talk to your demo. She probably has a packet of info that explains everything to you. One piece of advice I would give to you, as hostess, is to invite everybody you know. Don't make the decision whether or not they will like stamping for them. And then follow up with a phone call a few days before the party. Giving a call and sharing your excitement will increase your attendance. And, don't tell them to just come and "you don't have to order anything". That will hurt your sales and hostess benefits.

I hope you have a great show and get a lot of benefits!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Default Thanks!

I appreciate your responses! I'm the only rubber nut that I know in the dinky town where I live. There is one person that used to go to my church that likes to stamp, so I sent her an email telling her that I was planning a party and would she come. Nutthin', nada, zip, no reply, so that dampened my spirits a bit.

I have an acquaintence that likes what I do and told me that she wants me to teach her. I thought that since I'm not crazy about or don't need any of the hostess stamps, I would give her the For a Friend set to help get her started. She has limited funds and two kids in college. That way, she could use her money to get some stamp pads and other supplies, like an aqua painter to watercolor with, some paper and other goodies. It's hard for me to remember just getting started as I have soooooo much! But I've been enjoying stamping for more years than I ever thought!

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Hi first i really hope your party is a success and that it makes you want to have more. My friend just had hers and invited coworkers and then her friends tht she knows share her interest in stampin the ones that have placed orders before told others that were just beginning what they first ordered to get started. scrubber,cleaner, basic ink, papers, adhesive, just remeber what you ordered first. She had snacks out cheese,crackers,veggie & dip, and drinks water, wine and margaritas. she turned it into a girls nite out. We all had fun laughed talked shared the weeks horrors and then placed orders after making 3 quick and fun projects. we met on a sat. nite at 6:30 pm. her party ended up a level 2 hostess and she got 1 girl to date a party from hers. give your demo an idea for a project you think you and your friends may enjoy making. for instance an easy box or even a bag topper and maybe a fun card you have Easter coming and spring ask your demo of any specials that are going on so you can benifit from that too. But most of all have fun and enjoy yourself. =) ~~bluegirl~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 04:35 AM   #7  
Vee
Glitter Guru

I agree that you should not think of only "crafty people" , but invite everyone you can. Typically only a small percent of those invited actually come, so invite lots. You never know who will become a stamp nut! Also, your demo should give you at least one loaner catalog and some order forms beforehand (and maybe a couple samples of cards). Then you will have 2 to pass around and get people thinking. This also helps get outside orders from anyone who cant come to the party. The worst part is usually the calling. You really have to call a couple days before and remind people and talk it up. That way you will have a more accurate count for the demo (who will be preparing everything for the projects) AND you will be drumming up excitement. Good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 10:15 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Jutta -

Congrats on your party! They are so much fun! Ask your demo for invitation cards and send them out about 3 weeks before the event to get on calendars. Send them to everyone you know - even non-stampers as they sometimes are willing to check it out! Ask for an RSVP so you get a head count. I usually also then send out a personal, handmade card as a reminder about 1 week before. In my experience only about 1/3 of those invited actually do come. You also can ask your demo for a sample catty (often they'll give you a loaner to share with those you expect to come to the party to preview). The projects and techniques slated for the party make a big difference too in the ordering - it's good I think to mix cards and scrapbook pages and 3D projects (I'm a card maker, but mixing them appeals to a more varied audience). The sets demo'd can lead to a successful party too.

BTW, I'm not and have never been a demo - just a long-time and loyal customer. Itypically host 2 parties a year and belong to 2 stamp clubs. My parties over the years usually have been in the $$800 - $1,000 range and I only know a few avid stampers and generally have smaller parties with only 8-10 people!
Reply With Quote Likes