Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-31-2007, 05:24 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I made an index of my stamp collection!

Thank you to everyone who has posted suggestions about this in the past. I finally took the time to make an index of my stamp collection, and it is so worth it! I stamped each set on a piece of plain white cardstock, at the top of the page I wrote the title of the set, the manufacturer and the number of stamps in the set. I grouped them in a 3-ring binder by category.

Here are the advantages I've seen so far to doing this:

1) I can compare, mix & match my stamps easier because I can refer to my index easier than digging through the actual sets.
2) I have a portable "catalog" of my sets, so I can design cards/layouts on the move.
3) I get requests to make cards/gifts from friends and family members a lot. Instead of them asking what stamps I have, I can just hand them the binder.
4) My stamping friends can look through the binder to see what they want to borrow or use at a crop.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for the great idea! I am one happy scramper!

Marcy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 05:26 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Kudos to you for doing this. I know it was time consuming but I LOVE my binder and it makes it so much easier to design a card without having to look through all my stamps to find just the right one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 05:28 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I'm in the process of doing something similar but I have them on 4x6 cards and they're in a small album.

I wish more of mine were unmounted. Copying those stickers is A LOT easier than stamping everything
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 05:29 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default stamp collection index

I have aspirations of doing this some day. Maybe on those cold winter nights. I have a lot of stamps that are not in sets. How did you index those?

My Blog http://crazystamplady.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 07:27 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshaspeck50View Post
I have a lot of stamps that are not in sets. How did you index those?
I grouped mine by theme, subject or style of art. So for example, baby themed stamps went together; my Peanuts gang stamps went together, and my stamps that have a vintage look went together.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 07:54 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

I, too have aspirations of doing this. But, I've been stamping for 20 years and I'm afraid it would take several cold winters to get the job done. I still aspire to do it, but.....it may have to wait until I'm older and grayer!!! Kudos to you for doing it before you have too many to count!!!! Wish I'd been that smart all those years ago!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 07:58 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I have been thinking about doing this for a long while too ... in fact, I asked for suggestions a long time ago and got some great ones ... but I havent gotten around to doing it yet. Then when I am searching for that one perfect stamp to finish up a card, it takes me forever to find it and I wish I had made a binder! I really wish I had thought of this when I first started stamping ... instead of when I'm 150 sets in and also have tons of singles. Oh well, I have good intentions and one of these days I WILL start my binder, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 07:58 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

BTW, GOOD FOR YOU for getting it done! Congrats!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 08:21 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

I have the majority of my sets all stamped in a catalog. and now I am updating my sets according to certain items in a set that can also be used for a christmas theme halloween etc.

I went through just christmas sets alone single stamps from a mixed set plus not to mention non su sets. Stamps from the dollar store or a dollar rack like Michaels. etc.

I have to say it is very time consuming. But I know it will be much easier in the long run. Plus I'm sure I'll use my other sets more often if I go by this list when picking out a stamp next time for a project.

I perfer to grab a full set first verses a single stamp, Just because it's much easier to come up with ideas when you have more in fron of you to work with.

I think if more people use single stamps then more people will see the options as to what you can do with them if they are used more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 09:11 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I did this last year and i love it. I can take it to bed with me and flip through it and play with idea for cards before I fall asleep. I also made an "index" of my punches (strips of white cardstock with my punches lined up and then laminated). This is a AWESOME tool. so when I am looking through my stamp index binder, I can see what punches work with what stamp.. etc. I highly recommend this.

have fun!
L
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 09:23 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I am envious of all of you who have this done. I guess I am waiting for the rubber stamp fairy to appear and swoosh her magic wand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 09:27 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

GREAT idea!! You've motivated me! Now I know what my weekend project will be (now I'm off the hook for cleaning house, right??!!). Thanks for the tips!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 09:49 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ececsyView Post
I can take it to bed with me and flip through it and play with idea for cards before I fall asleep.L
I love this idea! I used to bring my catalogue to bed with me every night and look at it before falling asleep, but this year's catalogue just isnt doing it for me ... so that would be an awesome idea! To drool over MY OWN stamps and think up designs! I would have great dreams for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 09:49 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Good for you! You will be so happy you did this. I did this last year and find it so easy just to flip through pages for that one elusive stamp in who-know-what stamp set. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 10:00 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Good for you!

You're forgetting the most important reason for doing that! So you won't buy the same set twice!! (Which I've done :oops. Actually, I have started doing this but it takes a long time to finish. I keep saying I'm going to sit down and do the new sets I buy the day I get them, but.... I'll get there. Thanks for the inspiration!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 10:55 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Congratulations! I created a binder for my stamps as well. I started out stamping the images, but with newer stamps (SU!) I have photocopied the stickers before assembling the stamps. It has saved some time and is a great way to reduce buying duplicates. I have a separate section for the wheels and then a separate area for the punches. I used cardstock in the color of the punch (i.e. pink for the marvy pink punches) so that I could find the punch I wanted a little easier. It also makes it so much easier when shopping - I just have to remember to "not leave home without it" (my binder).

Congratulations again on getting through it - it's a big project, but well worth it in the end.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 03:59 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

WOW! You all have great ideas. Now, can I see some pictures of what you have done? PLEASE.........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2007, 05:40 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Finished

Ok, I did index cards of all my stamps. I bought 4x6 and put in printer. I copied images from SCS or googled (usually a photo from ebay). I also copied and pasted each stamps name, price, code number and number in set from an excel spreadsheet posted here in SCS.

Took several hours to do.

However, what I learned is:

I have more stamps than I realized. I only bought 100 cards (of course I made a few printing errors, but I still needed another package). This could have been a problem with insurance, etc. if I had to replace them.

I have more stamps than I realized. I am trully addicted to stamping.

I have more stamps than I realized. I am lucky I have no duplicates.

I have more stamps than I realized.

Good luck ladies. You really need to do this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2007, 06:30 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by tradermeView Post
Ok, I did index cards of all my stamps. I bought 4x6 and put in printer. I copied images from SCS or googled (usually a photo from ebay). I also copied and pasted each stamps name, price, code number and number in set from an excel spreadsheet posted here in SCS.

However, what I learned is:

I have more stamps than I realized. I only bought 100 cards (of course I made a few printing errors, but I still needed another package). This could have been a problem with insurance, etc. if I had to replace them.

I have more stamps than I realized. I am trully addicted to stamping.

I have more stamps than I realized. I am lucky I have no duplicates.

I have more stamps than I realized.

Good luck ladies. You really need to do this.
LOL....hmmm...maybe I won't attempt this then..:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2007, 07:05 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by tradermeView Post
Do you have a picture of your finished project? I'm trying to visualize what you did here, but just can't. I'd love to see it! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2007, 08:22 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

I couldn't live without my binder. As for hauling it around with me, I don't think so its a 3" binder thats right full. And I used computer paper not cardstock. Yes, this does take time but it is soooo worth it. The time it takes to do it, I have saved that time and more by not having to search for every stamp I want to use. Every card I make my binder comes out.
Do it girls, you wouldn't regret it.....
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2007, 02:14 AM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Default I made an index of my stamp collection

I've also been working on indexing all of my stamps. Before I take any of my new purchases up to my 'studio', I scan all of the sheets for the SU sets and scan the clear acrylic sets (even the dollar sets). I also scan a lot of my new wood mounted stamps too, yes, even the dollar ones.

For my SU sets, I print them off on 4x5 cardstock, punch a hole in the upper left corner & have them hanging off a binder ring. I made divider sections for different categories (baby, floral, greetings, alpha's, etc) similiar to the way that they are in the SU cattie. I love it. All I need to do is decide what type of card I am doing & then go to the right category & chose my stamps.

For all of my other clear acrylic sets, Michaels stamps, wood mount, unmounted, etc., I have done them the same way with the exception of printing them off on cardstock in a 4x4 1/2 size. These are all organized according to stamp companies.

I also print off a duplicate copy of all my stamps & keep them in big binders where I have them all inventoried as well as keeping the retail value of the stamp & what I paid for it recorded. This larger binder type inventory is more for insurance purposes too.

I find that by making myself scan or photograph them before they even go into my studio is definately helping me get this part of my collection organized. It doesn't matter who makes the stamp, or the cost of the stamp, they are all inventoried & included in my book.

On my desk, I've added a cup holder hook & both of my inventory books hang from it. It took a few days to do this but once done it is a huge timesaver.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2007, 03:10 AM   #23  
Watercolor Wizard

I have done this as well. It definitely is time consuming (and, yes, I have WAY too many stamps) but totally worth it. It is so easy to find the perfect stamp for whatever you are working on.

Other than putting all my index sheets in binders, I have them separated according to *Current* or *Retired*. This makes it easy for me to prepare make and takes for a workshop. HTH!

Blessed Wife and Mom

Happy SU! Demo since May 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2007, 04:27 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations!!

I need to do this. I've worked hard to get close to this point:
  1. I use a database program called Splash Shopper that is on my computer and my PDA. I have all of my supplies in the program (except the consumables like paper). Markers, stencils, stamps, colored pencils, stickles, coluzzle, cuttlebug, cricut, etc. I can sort by description, item number, company, group and/or category.
  2. All of my CD cases are now labeled and I numbered each label. My plan is that when I stamp the indices, I can then enter the CD number that corresponds so I can find it quicker. (I'm also adding the CD number to my Splash Shopper program.)
I can hardly wait to get this all done. THEN I need to make a point of keeping this up. (Or maybe just vow not to buy anymore stamps!) Ha! Whatever.

Congratulations again on getting this done!!!

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 04:15 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyMountainStamperView Post
Do you have a picture of your finished project? I'm trying to visualize what you did here, but just can't. I'd love to see it! Thanks.
I am on a business trip for 2 weeks. I return home on the 20th. I will attempt to get a picture taken and uploaded or PM it to you.

I plan on taking the cards and organizing them by category and copying on a copy machine. That way I can have a binder of 4 4x6 cards per page. I also plan on organizing alphabetically as well.

Anyway, sorry I did not get a picture before leaving. I will get you one soon!:oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2007, 11:14 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Exclamation Great idea...

Great idea....I need to do this. This would save me time in the long run. I can't wait to see the finished product. :p Happy Stamping ! Beckaroni

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2007, 12:45 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lefsegirlView Post
WOW! You all have great ideas. Now, can I see some pictures of what you have done? PLEASE.........

here's mine... TFL

my 'index book' by momis mama at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2007, 01:19 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post
Thanks for the picture!!! (Again, I'm a visual gal!)

Anyone else have pics of their indexing system? TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #29  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have been toying with making some kind of system too. Not so that I can remember if I have a set (I pretty much remember them as it is), but more because I'll forget a sentiment in one set ... So, how would you organize this?

- do a stamp set per page and place in a thematic order (like the SU catty)?
- do all sentiments in a separate section as well?
- do a retired section, retired sentiments marked in the sentiment section?

I also want it to look pretty, so I'm thinking of doing it a different size, say 8x8 covered chipboard and hold it together using binder rings (so I can add and subtract) ...

I'd love to see more pics of people's insides and outsides of their systems!

oh, and I'm a predominantly SU gal, but I would include my other sets in this too otherwise I'll never use them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2007, 02:05 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

I started using 5x7 index cards. I stamped all my sentiments/words a 2nd time on another index card so that I could file them by both theme and sentiments. I haven't completely finished yet but it has helped me twice already.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2007, 05:22 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Default stamps

i have two photo albums , one retired and one current ...loven it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2007, 08:24 PM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Default Thanks for the inspiration!

I've starting going to my fav websites and downloading pictures of the stamp sets I've purchased. That will save me some scanning / stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2007, 08:38 PM   #33  
Crimping Master

Here's an idea - sorry if someone has already posted this. But I have several catalogs left over from the last few years since I've become a demonstrator, and I hate to throw them away, but all my customers (few as they are) already have their own copy. So how about instead of stamping the images, just cutting the stamp set out of the catalog and glueing it to cardstock or paper? It will already have the stamp name, how many are in the set, and how much it cost.

Just an idea...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2007, 05:19 AM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Since most of my stamps are non SU I grouped all mine by theme (I store them on transparency pages inside a page protector in giant 3 ring binders). The few sets I do have I split up too (heresy I know!)

I am slowly working on a stamp index now that I have all my stamps unmounted and sorted into my new binder storage. It really isn't taking nearly as long as I thought it would. I basically made up a giant grid in MS Word and printed it out. It has space for the stamp image itself, the name of the stamp or set and manufacturer.

I also enter any stamp set I buy into craftmemo.com which is a phenomenal way to track your stash for insurance purposes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2007, 06:35 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stamp Index

I have all of my stamps indexed and the index is sorted by theme, birthday, Christmas and winter, sentiments, etc. All of my stamps are in the index. I have the index sheets in page protectors. My Stampin Up sets are stored in 2 bookcases by size of clamshell box, Unmounted stamps are in CD cases and single stamps are in eight 12 X 12 Iris boxes. The following is a link to pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/howell.b...ey=UiCoFUl96Eo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2007, 07:03 AM   #36  
Kookie Creator

Subscribing. I'm starting to get my unmounteds into CD cases and there are a lot of great ideas here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2007, 07:47 AM   #37  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by prchvsView Post

I also want it to look pretty, so I'm thinking of doing it a different size, say 8x8 covered chipboard and hold it together using binder rings (so I can add and subtract) ...
I'm in the process of making my index...it is taking me much longer than I'd like with my 3 little helpers around. I am stamping mine on 6 x 6 white card stock...that way I can get 4 pages from one 12 x 12 sheet of card stock. If it's a larger set, I'll stamp on two separate pages and they are side by side in my index. I am stamping in Going Gray as it's easier to clean the stamps than if I were using a black. I've typed up the names on small labels with the name, number in the set, and price. If there are two pages, I also type "1 of 2" and "2 of 2" on the label. They then go into 6 x 6 sheet protectors and eventually will be in a cute album of some sort...either a ring album or a chipboard album...haven't decided yet! Right now they're held together by binder rings though.

Sorry I don't have a picture yet, but I hope that give you all an idea of what I am doing.

Oh yes...It would have been slightly easier to do 8 x 8 as far as fitting one set on each page, but that would have been a huge waste of paper...I'm not using my 'nice' cardstock for this...just office supply store stuff...but still didn't want to see all that waste. Also, I figured it was easier to make 2 cuts and end up with 4 pages, instead of 2 cuts for just 1 page in my index. Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2007, 08:00 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

I started running my SU sticker sheets through the printer before I mounted the rubber. Then I put them in plastic protector sheets and into a 3 ring binder and all by category. Like I said I started. Never finished and now I have many more sets to do! Maybe I'll get it caught up and finished this winter. What I do have done is a great time saver!! I like the idea of including the punches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2007, 08:07 AM   #39  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choc0holicView Post
Oh yes...It would have been slightly easier to do 8 x 8 as far as fitting one set on each page, but that would have been a huge waste of paper...I'm not using my 'nice' cardstock for this...just office supply store stuff...but still didn't want to see all that waste. Also, I figured it was easier to make 2 cuts and end up with 4 pages, instead of 2 cuts for just 1 page in my index. Does that make sense?
huh, I didn't think about it yet ... I was thinking of just using 8-1/2"x11 copy paper, but there's still a small waste.

Thanks for your ideas! especially about the gray vs black ink, very smart!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2007, 11:07 PM   #40  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiddielitterView Post
Thank you to everyone who has posted suggestions about this in the past. I finally took the time to make an index of my stamp collection, and it is so worth it! I stamped each set on a piece of plain white cardstock, at the top of the page I wrote the title of the set, the manufacturer and the number of stamps in the set. I grouped them in a 3-ring binder by category.

Here are the advantages I've seen so far to doing this:

1) I can compare, mix & match my stamps easier because I can refer to my index easier than digging through the actual sets.
2) I have a portable "catalog" of my sets, so I can design cards/layouts on the move.
3) I get requests to make cards/gifts from friends and family members a lot. Instead of them asking what stamps I have, I can just hand them the binder.
4) My stamping friends can look through the binder to see what they want to borrow or use at a crop.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for the great idea! I am one happy scramper!

Marcy
Yay for you! I have mine indexed in a binder too and I love it - makes it so easy to remember what I have.
Reply With Quote Likes