Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #81  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I like a card, I will post that I like it.

What I don't like about it is the ones that say...for more info see my blog. I don't want to nor have time to go check out everyone's blog. So, if there isn't a list of supplies used...chances are good that I won't comment on that card at all.
Laurie's Cards & Ramblings
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 05:34 PM   #82  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
I agree with this and was going to post the same thing. I hope you don't take it personally. This topic comes up again and again and it's never pretty.

I personally think this topic gets heated because to those of us who don't comment much it looks like the people supporting comments are saying we are not polite or curtious. I'm both in real life. I try to come across as both on the boards. I could give my "excuse" for not commenting, but I really don't feel like I need to. I don't feel like you were asking me to either, don't think I'm directing any ire at you. (any of you) But I think that's how some of these threads read to people who are not big commenters. And of course the people who support comments do think it's polite and nice and warm and friendly. So oddly, a little thing like comments really is a hard topic to discuss.

Anyhow that's just my take. I really wanted to tell you that the "I get sick of these threads" feeling isn't really about you, it's about how this topic plays out usually. So please don't take it personally.

hugs,
e

ps, I don't get sick of these threads, I love a good drama. teeheehee
Oooh, come on over to Current Events! :mrgreen:

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 05:10 AM   #83  
Matboard Maniac

I am probably one that doesn't always comment when I favorite a card - and I should! If it's something that I want to favorite, then I should definitely telly the artist. Will definitely try to do better on this. Love the gallery and love to look at all the cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 06:15 AM   #84  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for pointing out these issues. I'm relatively new to SCS, and I have been collecting a number of favorites. After reading some of the posts here, I went back and left comments on each one I had saved (3+ pages). I appreciate being guided to doing the right thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 06:46 AM   #85  
Gallery Gazer

From my perspective, I try to comment on a card that I'm putting in my My Favorites because it is a chance to tell the person what I like about the card and I thank them for the inspiration because 9 out of 10 times, I will end up using their card as a jumping off point or CASEing in some way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 06:55 AM   #86  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, if you saw something like this in the gallery, would you comment and/or favorite it:
1st CAS attempt by squirrellyshirley at Splitcoaststampers

How about something like this:
school days.... by squirrellyshirley at Splitcoaststampers

well......I don't really care either way.....I was just phishing for some comments on some cards I uploaded yesterday!! aahahahahaha You know me, I'll do anything for a comment!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 08:03 AM   #87  
Pearl-ExPert

It is funny that this thread is still going because just yesterday I posted something that got 400+ looks, 23 "favorites" and only 4 comments...in my mind I am thinking that apparently my post was cute enough to "case" but not worth taking the time to tell me as much. I probably sound "whiny", but really I think it is just kind of funny. If I like something well enough to "favorite", I always think the person would like to know it. To each his own!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 08:06 AM   #88  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Just be happy

I feel that if someone favorites your card or item you should be flatter and move on. Just the fact that they put it in their favorites should be enough to boost anyones ego with or without comment.

Jenn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #89  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrellyshirleyView Post
So, if you saw something like this in the gallery, would you comment and/or favorite it:
1st CAS attempt by squirrellyshirley at Splitcoaststampers

How about something like this:
school days.... by squirrellyshirley at Splitcoaststampers

well......I don't really care either way.....I was just phishing for some comments on some cards I uploaded yesterday!! aahahahahaha You know me, I'll do anything for a comment!!!
Well,,,,your phishing worked,,,,you hooked me! Check your gallery for my comments on your cards,,, Thanks for making me smile!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #90  
Stazon Splitcoast

It does make ya feel odd when your card has been looked at 455+ times and no one comments.... but I'd hope that they got an idea or learned what not to do in some cases.
I never knew you could FAVORITE a card until I read this thread, and I feel sort of bad.
But to tell you the truth, I look at cards for ideas or how to's... I don't look so that I can boost egos. I'm sorry, but that is all it is. Be happy with your craft and don't expect us busy, moms, some who work outside the home to, to spend our days posting kudos to you. You know if a card "rocks" or not... do you really need my say so?
I'm just sayin! Crafting for most is a hobby... don't rely on others to enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 08:41 AM   #91  
Matboard Maniac

I don't have an opinion one way or the other really, but just thought of something that might *up* the comments.

I was on a scrapbooking site where comments in the gallery counted toward the post count. It seemed like there were more comments on that board.

I know post count doesn't mean much, but to a lot of people it might. It might make people feel like they "get" something in return for commenting, and they would comment more.

It might work here because it doesn't seem like people on this thread are asking for long, drawn out comments. Just a little recognition. Maybe if those few words would count toward a person's post count then they would be more likely to do it.

Maybe it's something that could be considered here?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 08:58 AM   #92  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by trixie_mView Post
I don't have an opinion one way or the other really, but just thought of something that might *up* the comments.

I was on a scrapbooking site where comments in the gallery counted toward the post count. It seemed like there were more comments on that board.

I know post count doesn't mean much, but to a lot of people it might. It might make people feel like they "get" something in return for commenting, and they would comment more.

It might work here because it doesn't seem like people on this thread are asking for long, drawn out comments. Just a little recognition. Maybe if those few words would count toward a person's post count then they would be more likely to do it.

Maybe it's something that could be considered here?
Gallery comments DO count towards the post count!

...um, don't they? (I'm pretty sure they do)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 09:00 AM   #93  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
Gallery comments DO count towards the post count!

...um, don't they? (I'm pretty sure they do)

Yes they DO!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #94  
Matboard Maniac

Hmm....I could have sworn I have done some *test* comments and mine didn't change! Lol.

Thanks for pointing that out! I guess that makes my point obsolete haha!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 09:08 AM   #95  
Stazon Splitcoast

You know what? I just made two gallery comments... in this thread, it says my post count is/was 5031, and after each comment, my post count there said 5028. I think it needs time to update itself. Also, I think different sections of the site update at different times??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 09:08 AM   #96  
Die Cut Diva

Yeah I don't think the site is instant at all, but I do notice when I post more comments that my total goes up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #97  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

You know what? I just made two gallery comments... in this thread, it says my post count is/was 5031, and after each comment, my post count there said 5028. I think it needs time to update itself. Also, I think different sections of the site update at different times??
I was just coming back here to post the same thing. But then when I refreshed, my post count had been updated to show the total, including the last 2 comments I just posted. In the past, I was looking only at the post count right next to my name in the comment section. Looks like there's a delay in updating between there and the message board.

Since post counts are obviously not the issue, I apologize for the hijack!

Sorry for the hijack everyone!
:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #98  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinemView Post
It does make ya feel odd when your card has been looked at 455+ times and no one comments.... but I'd hope that they got an idea or learned what not to do in some cases.
I never knew you could FAVORITE a card until I read this thread, and I feel sort of bad.
But to tell you the truth, I look at cards for ideas or how to's... I don't look so that I can boost egos. I'm sorry, but that is all it is. Be happy with your craft and don't expect us busy, moms, some who work outside the home to, to spend our days posting kudos to you. You know if a card "rocks" or not... do you really need my say so?
I'm just sayin! Crafting for most is a hobby... don't rely on others to enjoy it.
I don't think it is a matter of boosting egos so much as it is extending a nicety to a fellow member. If I am going to take the time to pull up the card in the gallery and read the "how tos" for futue inspiration, then I think it is nice to leave the person who took the time to post the card and write a description and supply list a little note of appreciation and what I liked about the card. I'm sure you are not to busy to read your comments when you get them and to look at cards in the gallery. It doesn't take much more time to type out a little "very pretty" or "I like how you...." For those of us who enjoy the comments for whatever reason, we appreciate those who like leaving them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #99  
Stazon Splitcoast

I remember back when I first found this site. I didn't know that the forums existed, I didn't know how to leave a comment; I wasn't a member (you have to be a member to comment). I would click on a gallery and click on "slide show". Then I would sit and watch the parade of cards. *grin* So maybe a lot of those comment-less views are from newcomers like I was once.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #100  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdodd00View Post
It is funny that this thread is still going because just yesterday I posted something that got 400+ looks, 23 "favorites" and only 4 comments...in my mind I am thinking that apparently my post was cute enough to "case" but not worth taking the time to tell me as much. I probably sound "whiny", but really I think it is just kind of funny. If I like something well enough to "favorite", I always think the person would like to know it. To each his own!
I would give you nice comments, just because you have a boxer! LOL I miss my boxer so much! She was the best dog, but we had to put her down in 2006. It was the hardest thing I think I've ever had to do.

But on a higher note....I still feel that if I have the time to favorite someone's card I should at least take 10 seconds to thank them for their artwork.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 10:18 AM   #101  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,076 Likes on 826 Posts

Quote:

I remember back when I first found this site. I didn't know that the forums existed, I didn't know how to leave a comment; I wasn't a member (you have to be a member to comment). I would click on a gallery and click on "slide show". Then I would sit and watch the parade of cards. *grin* So maybe a lot of those comment-less views are from newcomers like I was once.
I did know the forum existed, I'd used the resources a lot. But like Sophie, before I registered I watched a lot of slide-shows . And sometimes I'd stop it and click on one to look at it. Right now there are 1138 members and 1057 guests viewing, so that would go some way towards views without comments even if only half of them are in the gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 10:23 AM   #102  
Stazon Splitcoast

Cindy,
I read and post comments here and there, but that isn't my point. My point is if you do it for the comments, you are doing it for the wrong reason, in my opinion. I am unconcerned about comments as they don't make or break my LOVE for any given card.
Mostly I upload to my blog.... as that is MY site.. And I don't do that as often as some either... because that is not the reason I do it.
Anyway...
we are all entitled to our opinions on it.
Have a good one ladies...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #103  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 92 Likes on 76 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by trixie_mView Post
Hmm....I could have sworn I have done some *test* comments and mine didn't change! Lol.

Thanks for pointing that out! I guess that makes my point obsolete haha!!

Post counts are not instant. It take time to "get caught up". How do you think I got my post count??? By making gallery comments:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #104  
Stampin' Fool

I thought I'd resurface this great thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #105  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaiTiView Post
So I'm on this whole kick of promoting nice comments when you favorite someone. If I'm going to "borrow" their artwork and ideas for inspiration, I should take 30 seconds to leave a nice comment. It doesn't kill me, right?

Well now when I'm uploading my cards in the gallery, I'm puting a lil tag saying, "I support nice comments when favoriting."

Let's just say....it hasn't caught on.

LOL

It doesn't bother me THAT much, but I just think people appreciate it, and I know I certainly do.

This sounds crazy, but you can be having an absolutely horrible day, and one little nice comment can really turn things around.
I agree! comments can really make your day!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #106  
Insane Embellisher

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to say what I'm thinking...if I offend somebody, it's certainly not my intent, 'k?

Do any of you ever wonder about the sincerity of comments you get, knowing or suspecting that the comment was made as a result of a thread like this? Or maybe one of the many "comment game" threads? I mean, to me it seems like people would tend to sort of look at commenting as an assignment, something to get through quickly. Are you really pleased when you get a comment if you feel like that?

I don't have any expectations of comments on my cards. I know there have been times when I've commented on somebody's card only to find a "reciprocal" comment in my gallery soon after. Of course I don't mind a comment, but I have to say they can seem sort of like duty thank you notes, lol, rather than spontaneous "oh, how cool!" comments. Does that make any sense?

Then there's the threads that talk about just 'how' comments should go, like needing to give a specific example of what it is about the project that I like. Ehh??? If I comment on a card saying something like "<gasp!> OMG, how cute is that????!!," please know that I really did just say that out loud right before or as I was typing. I probably didn't take any one thing to exclaim about, it's the whole thing that just jumped out at me. And now I'm given to understand that there's a whole bunch of people for whom that isn't a good enough comment, lol.

I know and understand what the op is saying. Who doesn't like to get comments? But I don't, I really don't, understand this desire to push everybody to act and think the same way. If you decide to act thus and so in response to this or that, wonderful! But that's where it's got to end....it is not reasonable at all to say that because you feel it's right that everybody should. Kind of a "it's my way or the highway" approach to life.

So, Kathy O. said it much better. Certainly so much quicker, lol! Do what YOU feel is right for you. Don't expect everyone to act or feel the same way though. Allow them the courtesy of letting them act the way that's appropriate for them.
Thank you for this... I totally agree with this and I think you said it nicely. I was wanting to say the same thing but couldn't think of a nice way to put it. Well said!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 04:52 AM   #107  
Matboard Maniac

I was going to start a thread about commenting on favorites when I came across this thread. For me I think if I am going to take the time to favorite a card I can also take a moment to leave a comment. I do however make an exception when a card already has several comments. Placing a comment on a card is something I like to do because I know I feel good when someone comments on my cards. However, the lengthly 4 back click process to get back to the gallery is frustrating :confused:. I like to share the good feelings that commenting can produce, so I typically will only comment on a card if it has 2 or less comments already. Those that have several I don't think need anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 06:24 AM   #108  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I don't have any expectations of comments on my cards. I know there have been times when I've commented on somebody's card only to find a "reciprocal" comment in my gallery soon after. Of course I don't mind a comment, but I have to say they can seem sort of like duty thank you notes, lol, rather than spontaneous "oh, how cool!" comments. Does that make any sense?
MSBetsyz your entire post was excellent and I'm am guilty of what you said about reciprocal comments.

I don't look at the gallery that much as I rarely case. But I felt I that if someone took the time to leave a comment for me I should do the same. I always have trouble finding quick words that don't repeat what others have said, but I give it a shot.

There are gallerys where the work is just not my style and I find it hard to find the words - it's like looking at an unattractive baby - I can't say the baby is cute, so I just say "oh, how sweet" because aren't all babies still sweet?

I like getting comments but it doesn't bum me out not to get any. It's just nice to know someone liked what I posted.

Well I guess, I'm just not going to worry about it anymore. If I leave a comment fine, if I don't it's still fine. I don't want to be seen a less than sincere.

You know it always amazes me about how fired-up people can get about things -- who knew comments where such a hot topic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 07:00 AM   #109  
Hardware Hotshot

You know, it used to bother me that people were not leaving many comments on my cards but then I noticed that some of my cards, even ones without comments were being 'favored' and I thought, wow, what a compliment. Just that someone liked my card enough to add it to thier favorites really flattered me and made my day. That's how I see it. JMHO

Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes